• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Mayor to sue Trump Admin over executive orders if no response to FOIA request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't get what's so bad about cloudy weather in the winter. Whenever it's sunny in the winter it's usually in the 30's or less. No thanks to that.

Yeah I don't know. Doesn't bother me but I imagine if someone has lived there whole life in a sunny place it may be a bit jarring.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seattleite here, live in the city proper.

Screw Ed Murray, him and most of the Seattle City Council are so concerned about looking good in the national press that they're letting this city rot. More and more of downtown Seattle stores and restaurants are being pushed out by rent being gouged so they can sell the real estate to Chinese investors who keep making condos that keep pushing the cost of living up downtown, and they're doing nothing about it.

Construction projects are being approved and started everywhere without Dept of transportation staggering them so entire blocks are being re-routed and streets closed for months at a time in key areas like 4th Ave, with nowhere for transit to go and no regard for people who live in the city and still have to commute from one end to the other.

Seattle now has a huge homeless problem, the worst I've seen it in the almost 30 years of living in this area. Literal shanty towns are popping up all over freeway exits and underpasses, garbage is piling up all over the streets and freeways now because of it, vagrants outnumber pedestrians on the streets three-to-one after sundown, but sure, keep trying to pick fights with the federal government instead of taking care of things on the city and local levels which you were elected to do, ass-holes.

hi 5

leroidys

9% - which is developer code for a lot less, and so far the "affordable" stock is basically unaffordable.

The number one reason for homelessness is heroin alcohol and opiate abuse - not lack of stock. The city has an excellent crime and drug network and is a mecca for addicts. Till they change that it's just going to get worse and worse, and the misleading label "homeless" will continue to be used as a tool for increased density by developers who would faint if an actual homeless person moved into one of their buildings.

Less rainfall annually than NYC, and a glorious, incomparable summer.

At the same time, homelessness has skyrocketed as rents have. There is definitely a positive correlation to rent increases and homelessness. Also, rent increases and addiction are not mutually exclusive reasons for homelessness.

M too but Ed better come up with a better solution to homelessness than building giant unaffordable condo buildings in sleepy suburbs or he's gone.

Amen to that

jWILL253

Banned
I love the gesture...

But this would have more teeth if the Seattle city government wasn't notorious for making everything - from sports arena issues, to their homeless problem, to the underground tunnel, to even the fucking Monorail - an exercise in futility, poor pacing & planning.

Sure, Ed Murray... sue Trump, I'd love it. But make sure those FOIA requests are reviewed by like 12 different committees first, over the course of 5 years. Then, make sure the City Council votes on it (while making sure they don't approve the vacation of that one alleyway for that new free arena that Chris Hansen guy wants to build). Then, while you're at it, ask Trump to write an executive order making all street lanes for bike use only.

Rydeen

I love the gesture...

But this would have more teeth if the Seattle city government wasn't notorious for making everything - from sports arena issues, to their homeless problem, to the underground tunnel, to even the fucking Monorail - an exercise in futility, poor pacing & planning.

Sure, Ed Murray... sue Trump, I'd love it. But make sure those FOIA requests are reviewed by like 12 different committees first, over the course of 5 years. Then, make sure the City Council votes on it (while making sure they don't approve the vacation of that one alleyway for that new free arena that Chris Hansen guy wants to build). Then, while you're at it, ask Trump to write an executive order making all street lanes for bike use only.
Nailed it. That's why this is being done purely for the national media to make Seattle and Ed Murray / Sawant look good, anybody that actually lives here knows how much of a mess the local government is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
At the same time, homelessness has skyrocketed as rents have. There is definitely a positive correlation to rent increases and homelessness. Also, rent increases and addiction are not mutually exclusive reasons for homelessness.

100% agree there's a correlation, but my opinion, backed by some facts and reasonable assumptions, is that if you have a glass that's 100% full and you pour another half glass into it, you get 100% correlative effect.

But until Seattle stops being a magnet for the substance abuse homeless, and worse, the destructive infrastructure they require, then you can't fix any of the problem, because you run out of thumbs to jam in the dykes.

Seattleite here, live in the city proper.

Screw Ed Murray, him and most of the Seattle City Council are so concerned about looking good in the national press that they're letting this city rot. More and more of downtown Seattle stores and restaurants are being pushed out by rent being gouged so they can sell the real estate to Chinese investors who keep making condos that keep pushing the cost of living up downtown, and they're doing nothing about it.

Construction projects are being approved and started everywhere without Dept of transportation staggering them so entire blocks are being re-routed and streets closed for months at a time in key areas like 4th Ave, with nowhere for transit to go and no regard for people who live in the city and still have to commute from one end to the other.

Seattle now has a huge homeless problem, the worst I've seen it in the almost 30 years of living in this area. Literal shanty towns are popping up all over freeway exits and underpasses, garbage is piling up all over the streets and freeways now because of it, vagrants outnumber pedestrians on the streets three-to-one after sundown, but sure, keep trying to pick fights with the federal government instead of taking care of things on the city and local levels which you were elected to do, ass-holes.

I moved away from Seattle in 2008. I like looking back and being proud of where I'm from but this right here is the number one reason why I'll probably never go home. The Seattle I knew doesn't exist anymore.

MadeULook

Never been more proud to live in Washington state than right now. Happy to see Seattle leading the charge against Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom