• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Section 8: Prejudice |OT| Thread of ridiculously good value $15 PSN/XBLA/GFWL

Booshka

charsace said:
I need to get some MS points and get this. Played the 30 min demo and this is a must have IMO if you like multiplayer shooters.
It didn't leave a good first impression on me, I like the map size and concept, but the execution is lacking. The gunplay and basic movement (overdrive sprint and jetpack being the exception) feels clunky. I played the E3 demo way back in 09 for 2 hours and it had the same feeling. I was hoping that this release would have smoother and more polished gameplay, but it just doesn't play right to me.

I like the server browsing and player count, with dedicated servers and everything, it is refreshing (pun). But, the core gameplay is just not appealing to me, I'll play a little more and hopefully begin to enjoy it. It does have a ton of content and value for 15 bucks, but I need to have fun playing it to justify the purchase regardless.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Booshka said:
It didn't leave a good first impression on me, I like the map size and concept, but the execution is lacking. The gunplay and basic movement (overdrive sprint and jetpack being the exception) feels clunky. I played the E3 demo way back in 09 for 2 hours and it had the same feeling. I was hoping that this release would have smoother and more polished gameplay, but it just doesn't play right to me.

I like the server browsing and player count, with dedicated servers and everything, it is refreshing (pun). But, the core gameplay is just not appealing to me, I'll play a little more and hopefully begin to enjoy it. It does have a ton of content and value for 15 bucks, but I need to have fun playing it to justify the purchase regardless.
Maybe it's better with a m/kb. Devs do all kinds of trickery to make the gamepad feel less clunky.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
LocoMrPollock said:
Oh for fucks sake, this is so stupid.

Really people, is it that fucking difficult to copy and paste a key? Oh and create a online profile in less than 2 minutes if you have to.

So much hyperbolic bullshit when it comes to GFWL.
Get mad at Microsoft for their shitty service. It's not about creating account, it's that GFWL is still crap once you have an account.

Not going to go through all the reasons why again. There was already a thread here about why people think GFWL is terrible. It's not "hyperbolic bullshit", the service literally makes every PC game it's involved with worse.

Yeah, in some ways it's better than Starforce or Securom or some other nonsense. Congratulations, Microsoft, on not being the absolute worst. Now try actually being good.

And say what you will about other DRM services with activation limits, but as far as I know they don't actively prevent developers from patching/updating their games for weeks at a time.

Daigoro

MickeyKnox said:
I wish that were the case.

where do you live, on the moon?

i can get a 12 of really good beer for that price minus tax. also six packs are way over priced. 12pks or cases are where it at.

Kevtones

Do you live in Canada Knox? That's the only place I've been where liquor is both that expensive and that hard to locate.

I bought a sixer of Blue Moon on Saturdary for $8.49 and it was the near priciest at Ralph's/Bristol in its tier.

Come on... MOAR people need to get this (on 360). I am ranked 158 in the world. How is that even possible? (No I am not that good). We need 1000000s of players. It is an awesome game.

I guess I will get the PC version as well so I have more options.

Make it so GAF.

The_Player said:
I know what kind of problems comes with G4WL, so I'll prefer to refuse to use it. Though the game is pretty good and I loved to play vanilla Section 8 @ Xbox.

And what problems would that be?

Seriously... you start the game, log in and play.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
NemesisPrime said:
And what problems would that be?

Seriously... you start the game, log in and play.

AND THEN IT CRASHES

AND THEN IT OCCASIONALLY DOES NOT LOG IN

AND THEN IT FAILS TO UPDATE

AND THEN IT FAILS TO FIND ANY GAME EVEN IF THE MASTER SERVER IS WORKING

AND THEN IT LAGS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

AND THEN IT DESTROYS YOUR SAVES

Daigoro

subversus said:
AND THEN IT CRASHES

OR NONE OF THE ABOVE HAPPENS

like every GFWL game ive ever played on PC. 7 different titles.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Do you live in Canada Knox? That's the only place I've been where liquor is both that expensive and that hard to locate.

I bought a sixer of Blue Moon on Saturdary for $8.49 and it was the near priciest at Ralph's/Bristol in its tier.

like i said 6 packs arent worth it. thats way too steep, especially for Blue Moon. im sure you could get a 12pk for like 4-6 bucks more.

subversus said:
AND THEN IT CRASHES

In 1995?

equil

wwm0nkey said:
Ok well besides the constant complaints about GFWL how are the ones who have played this still enjoying it?

Im enjoying it so far. Even with the singleplayer which everyone says is the worst part about the game, im liking it.

The fact that its just $15 makes it well worth it.

charsace

Booshka said:

The aiming to me is a little clunky to me when moving diagonally, but the jetpack jumping feels right. What I like is that the characters feel like they have some weight, like shadowrun and halo. It feels like there's a body and not just hands and a gun. I do wish some of the levels had more actual vertical levels to them so that the jetpack jumping can get more use. I can see myself playing this as much as I play monday night combat.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok well besides the constant complaints about GFWL how are the ones who have played this still enjoying it?
I got irritated in the story mode, waiting while the ship above took out that huge bunker thing meanwhile missiles are raining down from the bad guys. Turns out you can get killed even when you're not in the red impact area, pretty assy Timegate. So that's where I quit last night.

Overall though it seems all right. Graphically it's a slight improvement over the last one. Haven't done any real matches yet, I want to finish the story first.

For $15 it's a decent enough game. I just wish there were more options for bot matches, I looked through the menus and it's the same thing from the last game where you can't turn off autobalance or pick how many bots are on each side, or how long the match is.

Definately get this on pc if you can.
The gameplay just screams for mouse controls (large distance aiming, tribes-light gameplay).

Playing a game like this with auto aim and an analog stick just does not compute.

Also IGN is just sending a message: bribe or bust.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Daigoro said:
OR NONE OF THE ABOVE HAPPENS

like every GFWL game ive ever played on PC. 7 different titles.

Or it happens to every single of yours.
Installing Batman: AA on my PC was the single worst installing experience in my life and that was 2010 dammit.

jtrov

Wow, this game really surprised me. I've only played the demo, but I really liked what I played. The battlefield stuff and objectives are all fun, and intense. I really want to get this, but I get a feeling the community will die out fast. It's a shame, because for $15 this is an amazing online game.

jtrov said:
Wow, this game really surprised me. I've only played the demo, but I really liked what I played. The battlefield stuff and objectives are all fun, and intense. I really want to get this, but I get a feeling the community will die out fast. It's a shame, because for $15 this is an amazing online game.

Why would it die out fast though? Support your arguments with some logic.

There is plenty of variation through the dynamic objective system (which sounds like some bullshit marketing came up with, but works really well), the turret/vehicle summoning and the air drops.

They make the maps infinitely more replayable and make the gameplay last a long long time.

My only issues with the game are the lock on system (combined with increased damage from the original game it really is too much) and the worry that servers might be laggy like they ended up being in the original. (not an issue during beta though)

If they release mod tools (I believe they promised they would?) the lock on shouldn't be an issue, every tribes or battlefield fan server host will turn that shit off.

Servers, well blame GFWL =(

jtrov

SneakyStephan said:
Why would it die out fast though? Support your arguments with some logic.

Well for starts, I said "I get a feeling", meaning that's what I see happening. But if you want logic here it goes. With the game coming out during such a crowded release week, and with the Blops map pack, along with Brink (another Objective based game) around the corner, I just don't know how long the community will last. I have no interest in playing bots, so when that happens, this game won't be worth the purchase "to me".

Like i said earlier, I really enjoyed the gameplay. I may end up buying the game anyway, because I really like big teams / objective based shooters. Still, I have every right to worry about how long the community will last.

EDIT: As I scroll up to read more of this page I see I'm not the only one with this concern as well.

Numpt3

jtrov said:
I really want to get this, but I get a feeling the community will die out fast. It's a shame, because for $15 this is an amazing online game.

This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying this. It looks great otherwise, reminds me of Planetside.

rac

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Oh for fucks sake, this is so stupid.

Really people, is it that fucking difficult to copy and paste a key? Oh and create a online profile in less than 2 minutes if you have to.

So much hyperbolic bullshit when it comes to GFWL.
Since its GFWL doesn't that pretty much guaranty that online is going to be dead? Seems like a pretty big factor to me.

rac said:
Since its GFWL doesn't that pretty much guaranty that online is going to be dead? Seems like a pretty big factor to me.

I guess it will if people are too stupid to play it because of that.

As far as multiplayer shooters go, even non-GFWL titles have to deal with their communities being small, (Save COD and Battlefield and TF 2) so I don't think it's gonna really make it or break it. If people play the game and it is fun, they will continue to play it, hopefully.

If it was using Steamworks, I don't think it would be any different. Monday Night Combat, Shattered Horizon and Lead and Gold all have to deal with the same issue.

Grisby

I checked out some screenies on the Xbox. One of those maps, the forest one, sorta looks like a Halo map. That is, it looks pretty damn good.

Grisby said:
I checked out some screenies on the Xbox. One of those maps, the forest one, sorta looks like a Halo map. That is, it looks pretty damn good.
It's a similar aesthetic but it must be said this game looks nowhere near as good as say, Halo Reach. Still though it's a different kind of game and certainly a different kind of price.

m0ngo said:
This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying this. It looks great otherwise, reminds me of Planetside.

If no one buys it I can guarantee no one will be playing it. ATM there are lots of servers with 32 people playing at a time. There is a community so if barren servers are your gate to entry the gate is currently open.

rac

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
I guess it will if people are too stupid to play it because of that.

As far as multiplayer shooters go, even non-GFWL titles have to deal with their communities being small, (Save COD and Battlefield and TF 2) so I don't think it's gonna really make it or break it. If people play the game and it is fun, they will continue to play it, hopefully.

If it was using Steamworks, I don't think it would be any different. Monday Night Combat, Shattered Horizon and Lead and Gold all have to deal with the same issue.
I think its more foolish to release a game on windows live when the reputation is so bad and there are better services to use other than GFWL. Why is it the consumers fault? If you release a GFWL title its not going to get much support.

Those aren't great games though. Good for a free weekend to play something new and then go back to your regularly played mp games. Also at least they gave their games a fighting chance, better than throwing your game out on a dead service.

rac said:
I think its more foolish to release a game on windows live when the reputation is so bad and there are better services to use other than GFWL. Why is it the consumers fault? If you release a GFWL title its not going to get much support.

Those aren't great games though. Good for a free weekend to play something new and then go back to your regularly played mp games. Also at least they gave their games a fighting chance, better than throwing your game out on a dead service.

If a game is good, I don't give a shit what service it's on.

And I've never had any problems with GFWL, so I'm pretty indifferent to it.

Oh, and Monday Night Combat is pretty awesome. I would definitely consider it a great game.

Top Bottom