• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Martini Gaming

Neo Member
just posting to agree with the galaxy force 3d posts. the 3d in this game is incredible. really makes me wish i had the new 3ds for a more stable effect. the only game where i even turn on 3d, and to the max even.

MrDoctor

just posting to agree with the galaxy force 3d posts. the 3d in this game is incredible. really makes me wish i had the new 3ds for a more stable effect. the only game where i even turn on 3d, and to the max even.
I bought the new XL precisely for that game. It justifies the platform by itself.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Intel_89

I haven't spent any money on games since about a month ago so I decided to pick one of the 2nd Wave games up, but I can't decide between Fantasy Zone II and Outrun. I love Super Hang-On 3D and I'm sure OutRun 3D deserves all the praise it's been given but, on the other hand, I don't have that many shooters for the 3DS so Fantasy Zone II could be a neat addition to my library.

TL:RD Fantasy Zone 2 or OutRun, and no, 'get both' isn't an option.

I haven't spent any money on games since about a month ago so I decided to pick one of the 2nd Wave games up, but I can't decide between Fantasy Zone II and Outrun. I love Super Hang-On 3D and I'm sure OutRun 3D deserves all the praise it's been given but, on the other hand, I don't have that many shooters for the 3DS so Fantasy Zone II could be a neat addition to my library.

I would personally go with OutRun, but I will tell you to get Fantasy Zone 2 because Krejlooc bullied me to.

Also because OutRun probably sold a ton, while FZ2 not so much. So the latter needs the sales :)

FZII deserves the best we can muster, and it even comes with a new, exclusive game mode you can enjoy outside the main game. I think it represents M2's prowess and dedication to their projects jus tas much as 3D OutRun; it helps that you'd be playing the best Fantasy Zone out there.

The 3D is more impressive in Outrun (in fact I could argue it has one of the best implementations of 3D in the entire 3DS library) but I think FZ2 has more content. The endless mode in FZ2 is very addicting.

VandalD

If you like shooters, I'd say you owe it to yourself to get Fantasy Zone 2 over OutRun. I picked up both while not having nostalgia for either (the closest thing I played to OutRun being Rad Racer), and I like OutRun more, but that's only because I don't tend to care for side-scrolling spaceship shooters.

Snagged Fantasy Zone 2. Excited to play it since it's a mysterious game I've never played before, but I gotta finish 1 first tho. I must say that I am enjoying grinding cash in this kind of game. I've stayed blind on what unlocks when I reach those million coin goals but I'm having fun doing it. Pretty addictive and makes me want to play more and more.

Intel_89

Thanks for the feedback, I decided to get Fantasy Zone II tonight but I'll surely get OutRun 3D somewhere down the line.

Intel_89

Well, here it is:

KaYoBg9.png

I'm gonna give this a spin tonight and I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

Intel_89

Well, Fantasy Zone II is pretty amazing.

Played it for about an hour last night and I immediately fell in love with the asthetic and music, the difficulty is spot on too.

If there's something that didn't leave a good impression on me that has to have been the 3D effect, because it's probably the weakest effect out of the bunch of SEGA 3D remasters that I own.

Intel_89

I just got the
bad ending
in FZ2W, I kept wondering what was happening to Opa-Opa through my latest attempt since I started noticing a
change in color
, now that I think that I know what I did wrong I'll have to give it another go.

This quickly became one of my favourite game from the whole series, I cannot recommend it enough to shmup fans.

Just a week more and we'll be playing M2's "encore" arcade port of Thunder Blade! It's gonna be fun. And I hope it sells just a teensy bit well, even knowing that console ports have sold much better so far.

Intel_89

Just a week more and we'll be playing M2's "encore" arcade port of Thunder Blade! It's gonna be fun. And I hope it sells just a teensy bit well, even knowing that console ports have sold much better so far.

I'll get it at a discount price probably, not too fussed about it after getting After Burner II and sucking at it. I think that I'll only be missing 5 out of 13 SEGA 3D Classics (Altered Beast, Eco The Dolphin, Fantasy Zone, OutRun and Thunder Blade).

I'm very interested in reading the interviews. It was weird reading the English ones for all the previous games were they kept teasing/pretending that Thunder Blade wasn't happening when we knew otherwise. I want to know the history behind the decision to finally work on it.

So I bought Out Run. I like it, but I'm confused at how to get good at it! I dunno how to win... I've only gotten to one checkpoint twice. Is this supposed to be difficult!? I was under the impression it'd be super relaxing.

Robin64

So I bought Out Run. I like it, but I'm confused at how to get good at it! I dunno how to win... I've only gotten to one checkpoint twice. Is this supposed to be difficult!? I was under the impression it'd be super relaxing.

I found it pretty hard too, but the new cars really help. I can actually finish it with those!

So what I did was set the difficulty to easy and put a 99 limit on, so that I could unlock the cars, and then I slowly ramped things back up.

I know people that frown on this, but eh, it's just DIP switches, right? :)

Learn some of the advanced techniques. They really help.

Instead of just pressing the accelerator all the way when you're about to start, you should instead try to keep the gas in 'the high greens' and just below red. The exact moment the green light goes on you should give it as much gas as possible thereby starting up much faster. Instead of shifting at approx. 170mph you should change gears at about 120 mph to avoid slowdown. This hint earns you approx. 1 second. This trick works every time you have to start from 0 mph but is difficult to time right when you don't have the green light for timing.

The second before going off road you can change very quickly to low gear and then high gear again. If done correctly you can drive off the road without any slowdown for about 1-2 seconds. If you time it right you can actually change to low then high again after the 1-2 seconds and not loose ANY speed whatsoever when driving off-road. This way you can keep going 292mph even though you're offroad.

Also, the fastest route is Right (Devil's Canyon), Left (Snowy Alps), Right (Wheatfield), Right (Autobahn).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm SO close to finishing a route on the default settings in 3D Out Run. Twice now I've made it almost to the end. Like, 3 or 4 seconds more and I'd have had it. Gaaaah.

EDIT: Did it, woo! With 11 seconds left, too.

The better I get at Out Run, the more I like it. It's very simple, but very rewarding and demands a lot of precision. It's much different from what I expected it to be, but it's fun for sure. I wanna be able to get through every route!

Sakwoff

I remember Thunder Blade being absolutely horrendous back on Mega Drive, but the trailer for the 3D Classics version looks almost tolerable. Wow. :D

Good stuff. Deffo gonna get at least OutRun at some point.

The better I get at Out Run, the more I like it. It's very simple, but very rewarding and demands a lot of precision. It's much different from what I expected it to be, but it's fun for sure. I wanna be able to get through every route!
Be glad you have routes, lol. They're mostly the same difficulty to master, unlike the different courses in Super Hang-On which need memorizing and improvisation.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Super Hang On gets pretty crazy later on but it's so good and the music is awesome and every fan of Outrun should get it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Times Thunder Blade has been mentioned in the interviews to date
Interview Title Number of times Horii-san mentioned TB() means others mentioned it
3D Space Harrier 1
3D Super Hang-On 2
3D Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (1: Okunari)
3D Galaxy Force II 4
3D Shinobi III 1
3D Streets of Rage 4 (1: Okunari 1: Editor)
3D After Burner II 1 (1: Okunari)
3D Fantasy Zone 2
3D Out Run Part 1 1 (1: Editor)
3D Out Run Part 2 1 (2: Okunari 1: Namiki)

Voliko

I got a chance to play Outrun at an arcade the other day, it was great. It wasn't a sit down cab but it was still awesome. Playing with the wheel feels really good, way better than the 3DS pad. Makes me want to get the Saturn or PS2 versions (even though they are 30fps...).

Anyway, can't wait for Thunder Blade!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I got a chance to play Outrun at an arcade the other day, it was great. It wasn't a sit down cab but it was still awesome. Playing with the wheel feels really good, way better than the 3DS pad. Makes me want to get the Saturn or PS2 versions (even though they are 30fps...).

Anyway, can't wait for Thunder Blade!

jp Saturn release supports 60fps

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah but this quote from the 3D classics interview makes me wary-

The Saturn version's game logic still runs at the original speed but they interpolated the visuals to create the illusion of 60FPS. Some people like that effect, some think it's unnatural or difficult to look at.

Top Bottom