• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Tsunamo

I am so in for Gunstar Heroes and Sonic The Hedgehog 2, best batch so far for me.
I've been hoping for Sonic 2 ever since the 3D Classics line started up.

D.Lo

Wave 3, here we go

I wonder if M2 can possibly top their PS2 version of Gunstar Heroes.
Mega Drive games :/

I'm glad more are happening, I'll buy them. But it just seems like a bit of a waste to me. The arcade games, particularly Super Scaler games, are spectacular in 3D, and not really even available elsewhere. While the MD games are just 'neat'.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
GUNSTAR HEROES. ON THE GO. IN 3D. I AM SUPER EXCITED, MORE THAN I SHOULD BE.

Yay for Sonic 2 finally happening. Though I'm mainly buying because I want to show support for Sonic 3 & Knuckles in 3D.

Now we gotta shop that McMahon GIF where he's just so impressed by what this guy's putting out! Holy shit is this, three more titles for Wave 2...I'd be all over Alien Soldier, but Gunstar's a great choice too given M2's past experience porting it to the Game Gear. And SoR2's a given for me, I still haven't played enough belt-scrollers. Sonic 2 might happen down the line, but I think it's going to sell well on principle, and Taxman's got a definitive edition out. So it's up to M2 to sell me on that.

These better sell well so we can get Wave 3.

It'll be easier for me to catch up with Fantasy Zone II W than with all these discussions on GAF I've missed over just the last days! Seriously, I don't remember Wednesdays being so busy.

FZ2 plays great, these 3D classics are just such a bargain for 6 bucks considering Nintendo charges the same for GBC ports. I wish Sega/M2 made a new one for the collection every month/2 months.

I've never played 2 but it seems slightly more easier than 1 although I haven't had that much time with the game yet.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've never played 2 but it seems slightly more easier than 1 although I haven't had that much time with the game yet.

Fantasy zone II DX has a difficulty select in the form of which path you take in the game. The light world is easier than FZ1, the dark world is much harder than FZ1. Beating all the light world stages gets you the bad ending. Beating the dark world stages and using the tears of opa-opa nets you the good ending.

Fantasy zone II DX has a difficulty select in the form of which path you take in the game. The light world is easier than FZ1, the dark world is much harder than FZ1. Beating all the light world stages gets you the bad ending. Beating the dark world stages and using the tears of opa-opa nets you the good ending.

Oh that's neat. Yeah, I notice the map path on the bottom for what I'm guessing are the two world paths.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh that's neat. Yeah, I notice the map path on the bottom for what I'm guessing are the two world paths.

the map is a location of where the remaining bases in either world are (along with warp points).

The dark world also only has hidden shops, while light world has the normal falling shops. The dark world shops give you more awesome power ups, though, like shields or big shots.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Having lots of fun with FZII, I think I like it better than the first game. What does the dark world offer? What IS Opa-Opa?

/edit/ answered above!
but... what IS Opa-Opa?

Wow, this one seems much better than the first! I didn't put a lot of time into that one because of the difficult, but I can totally see myself digging this one a lot more.

The Dark World path in FZIIDX seems nearly as hard as FZ is on arcade settings, which is awesome considering I'm using auto-fire (going to assume the developer's built FZIIDX around it, since it's not a menu-toggled option (one speed only) and is rebindable). Very fun STG that I've just gotta 1CC! Music is to die for, visuals are somehow clear and readable despite the chaos in later rounds, and having variable speeds per engine depending on your flight direction is just one little change for the better.

Unfortunately the credits omake isn't as extravagant as in Opa-Opa Brothers, cute as it is.

TreIII

a sentient space ship
whose father is the leader of the evil empire, whose brother is an anti-hero twin ala protoman, who occasionally goes insane and joins the darkside

#DeepestLore

But seriously, I'm looking forward to nabbing this when I get home today.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I hope we'll get a sale in NA soon like Europe had last month. I'm addicted, I need the complete collection!

duckroll

I'm really impressed with 3D Fantasy Zone II W. Not only is the System16 "remake" of Fantasy Zone II a great sequel which builds on the first title, but Link Loop Land... wow. For a bonus mode, it's really well thought out, it uses assets really economically but the balance feels really tight and it's fun as hell. Perfect for shorter portable sessions. The bomb enemies, the fever mode, the score multiplier chaining... fantastic stuff. M2 continues to knock Wave 2 completely out of the park.

Sega/Nintendo trollin' hardcore on the Australian eShop. Fantasy Zone II has a massive NEW OUT NOW! banner, but when you check it the game isn't available.

I'm really impressed with 3D Fantasy Zone II W. Not only is the System16 "remake" of Fantasy Zone II a great sequel which builds on the first title, but Link Loop Land... wow. For a bonus mode, it's really well thought out, it uses assets really economically but the balance feels really tight and it's fun as hell. Perfect for shorter portable sessions. The bomb enemies, the fever mode, the score multiplier chaining... fantastic stuff. M2 continues to knock Wave 2 completely out of the park.

That mode is probably Iuchi isn't it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just so people know: each of the different endings in the base game unlocks another ship for use in Link Loop Land.

That mode is probably Iuchi isn't it?

Nah, but it is by another ex-Treasure guy, Yuji Yamanaka. He's been at M2 for years now and was one of dudes behind the original FZ2DX release. M2's FZ work is a collab between him, Keisuke Koga and Akira Saitoh, more or less.

Yes Boss!

When all is said and done the port of Fantasy Zone II is my absolute favorite if all the releases so far. Definitely my most played. Outrun is a sentimental favorite and probably the cookest but FZII is just so much fun. So many extras and LLL is amazing.

D.Lo

Sega/Nintendo trollin' hardcore on the Australian eShop. Fantasy Zone II has a massive NEW OUT NOW! banner, but when you check it the game isn't available.
Grrr...

I was waiting for the latest batch because AU price is better than UK. What's the cheapest PAL store for these?

Oh my god at Fantasy Zone II, it is fucking GORGEOUS. Sega has mastered the art of enhancing 2d games with the 3d mode.

The music, graphics, gameplay.. and that insanely low price. What a fantastic release. I'm completely in love with these 3d re-releases.
This game is making me emotional with how much joy it conveys.. I am happy that the spirit of Sega is still alive, even if it is essentially 'just' a remaster.

Did the original have an auto-fire option as well? I feel like using the auto-fire (right trigger) makes it a bit too easy though.

Edit: Oh my god at Opa Opa's walking animation. So cute. So smooth.

FZIIDX is different enough that I would consider it an original game. Lots of areas from FZII are gutted, it plays more like if FZII came out in arcades to begin with, &c. I don't know if the developers intend for players to use auto-fire, but it not being an optional toggle indicates they were aware of it during the development period.

FZIIDX is different enough that I would consider it an original game. Lots of areas from FZII are gutted, it plays more like if FZII came out in arcades to begin with, &c. I don't know if the developers intend for players to use auto-fire, but it not being an optional toggle indicates they were aware of it during the development period.

I need to read up on it, I actually did not know much about FZII before playing this!

dock

I just picked this up on my New 3DS, I'm excited it play it!

I already own the 2008 PS2 release, which is glorious, but it does sound like there's enough different about this version. I'm also keen to make use of the widescreen and 3D.

Regarding Auto-Fire, they've had autofire as an option since at least the Sega Saturn version of Fantasy Zone 1.

I'm really bad at these games but I love it, and I can't stop buying new (and old) versions. This is perhaps my fifth or sixth copy of these games.

dock

Never played a Fantasy Zone game even though I like spacey shooty games, why is it praised?

I think the art, setting and music are a large portion of it.
It also feels quite different from an auto-scrolling game, and has more in common with games like Defender or Resogun.

I especially like the shop where you can upgrade your shop, so you can use different tactics like buying several speed upgrades so you have one in reserve next time you die. This avoids the usual power-up fatigue of scrolling shmups.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I really didn't expect it, but FZII has quickly become one of my favorite 3D Classics despite liking, but not loving, the original FZ.

I really didn't expect it, but FZII has quickly become one of my favorite 3D Classics despite liking, but not loving, the original FZ.

Same, it's just a joy to play. The 2d art looks particularly great on the rather low-res 3DS screen, I think the black outline on the sprites really help it stand out.

I adore the SMS Fantasy Zone 2 but never tried out the System 16/DX revision. I just bought this on the 3DS and I"m shocked how different it is! Its like a brand new game! It looks and sounds great and holy crap...the "dark world" portions and bosses are HARD. I couldn't even pass the second boss. jeez. lol Great game!

I don't know the exact differences between this and the SMS version and all the Bright/Dark stuff but so far this game by the awesome folks at M2 is wonderful.

Top Bottom