• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

duckroll

It says you unlocked the "Mega Shot Mode" in the options. This seems to be a mode which wasn't previously mentioned in the promotional stuff. Maybe you can check it out and tell us what it is? Congrats!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
baW0LzQh.jpg

I've got them all but Ecco. I'll probably get that in the next few days.

personal ranking

1. outrun
2. fantasy zone 2
3. sonic (i actually really like sonic 1)
4. super hang on
5. galaxy force 2
6. shinobi 3
7. space harrier
8. streets of rage
9. ALTERED BEAST
10. after burner 2
11. fantasy zone
12. Thunder blade

rjc571

Banned
It says you unlocked the "Mega Shot Mode" in the options. This seems to be a mode which wasn't previously mentioned in the promotional stuff. Maybe you can check it out and tell us what it is? Congrats!

Had a look through the various menus but couldn't find any options that weren't already available when I first started the game... maybe someone who's beaten the game and actually reads Japanese can help?

baW0LzQh.jpg

I've got them all but Ecco. I'll probably get that in the next few days.

personal ranking

1. outrun
2. fantasy zone 2
3. sonic (i actually really like sonic 1)
4. super hang on
5. galaxy force 2
6. shinobi 3
7. space harrier
8. streets of rage
9. ALTERED BEAST
10. after burner 2
11. fantasy zone
12. Thunder blade

OutRun is my favorite too, but it's interesting that you rank Fantasy Zone II that high while ranking the original so low. I skipped FZ II because I took a chance on 3D Fantasy Zone (I'd never played it) and I just never really warmed to it. Maybe FZ II really is that much better...

pupcoffee

Probably never. =\ Sega seems to have bailed on Australia. It was rated for release four months ago and yet they still can't be bothered releasing it.

Region-locked online stores are the worst.

Maybe they'll come out alongside Wave 3? (There's no way they'll not release Sonic 2, at least..)

OutRun is my favorite too, but it's interesting that you rank Fantasy Zone II that high while ranking the original so low. I skipped FZ II because I took a chance on 3D Fantasy Zone (I'd never played it) and I just never really warmed to it. Maybe FZ II really is that much better...
Personally I prefer the main mode of FZ 1 to 2, but 2 has Link Loop Land which is pretty damn fantastic

oneida

FZII is so fucking good. Don't let the first game stop you from playing it, and by all means it's worth the $6.

I'll be okay with them ending this series if they start a Sega VR Ages series opening with Spikeout
That might even do well in Japan given how big the VR enthusiast scene is over there.

Also, the original Fantasy Zone is excellent, though I understand why people skip it. The sequel's a refinement in most ways.

TwiztidElf

Man, when the fuck is 3D Outrun coming to Australia?
This so many times over. I keep checking the store, and every day, disappointment. It's at the point I'm so angry with Nintendo and Sega over this I want to boycott, but that Splatoon and Codename STEAM are sooooo good.

^ My 3DS main screen is a little like this, except I have a gap where OutRun is going to go. It's been empty for far too long.

Within the next two weeks or so.
Source?

rjc571

Banned
Okay, I got the option back by beating the final boss again and going back to the main menu. I'm pretty sure the new mode just makes you do more damage.

Also the bottom screen has a grayed out button during gameplay. After the credits rolled you can touch the button and it resets the game but I have no idea if it does anything else.

IrishNinja

bought the coin-ops on sale right now, god i want OutRun, Fantasy Zone II & Thunder Blade.

a few genesis ones are tempting, but god, ive got them on cart + mega everdrive already, haha

oneida

bought the coin-ops on sale right now, god i want OutRun, Fantasy Zone II & Thunder Blade.

a few genesis ones are tempting, but god, ive got them on cart + mega everdrive already, haha
Just buy OutRun! why wait?
skip thunderblade imo...
FZII is amazing

@MUWANdo

Banned
They did some 3D master system games already (peep the JP physical release). Wouldn't be much of a stretch.

It would still be a ton of work because:

a) big chunks of Phantasy Star use a top-down perspective that doesn't play nice with stereo 3D

b) adding stereo 3D support to games/hardware that used tricks to fake it takes a lot more work than adding it to games that use dedicated 3D/pseudo-3D hardware

c) even just converting the 3D SMS games to stereo 3D was a lot more work than anticipated; that's why there's only 2 extra games on the compilation and not the full set

Remk

Getting home with a few beers in my system made the decision much easier and I am now the proud owner of Ecco and Altered Beast.

Oh well, is only $6 and I have all the first wave releases now,
Just a few more hours to go for the sale to end, just purchase everything people!

@MUWANdo

Banned
3D Streets of Rage 2 is listed on NOA's website with a July 16 release date.

The new "quartet" mode was renamed "Rage Relay", which I like.

pupcoffee

This morning I see Wave 2 all of a sudden up on the Australian store :)

Best store update of my life!! Thank you for the info Null Pointer, and your work on these amazing releases.

danwu

Banned
Played a bit of Outrun 3d, it's a bit over rated !
Came expecting something really special, but it's not that great.
Super Hang On is way more fun !

D.Lo

Super Hang On > Outrun is correct.

I want that one with the sprite 3D tracks... Power Drift! Would be awesome in 3D.

Really I'll take any Super Scaler game over any others. Most have never had proper home releases, and the Mega Drive releases just feel like a waste of resources compared to stuff like Galaxy Force and After Burner II.

pupcoffee

Guys, does Space Harrier have a spiritual successor? It's now my favourite game of all time. (I already know about Space Harrier 2, does that match up?)

WOW, they put a ton of effort into these ports. I enjoyed reading the Outrun review and was disappointed a year ago when it was released in Japan and assumed it would never hit the NA shop, gonna play it tonight.

D.Lo

Guys, does Space Harrier have a spiritual successor? It's now my favourite game of all time. (I already know about Space Harrier 2, does that match up?)
Dat music.

Well there's the far worse Mega Drive sequel. Otherwise just the other Super Scaler shooters, like Galaxy Force.

Nachos

Maybe there's a better match, but Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii is fantastic and plays like a more bullet hell-ish version of Space Harrier. Can't really think of anything else other than SH2, unfortunately.

I've bought all of these except Altered Beast and Ecco (not a fan of those games, though I'm sure they did a great job porting them).

These are the secret killer apps of 3DS.

Top Bottom