• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, it's just all the Wave 1 games at 50% off. I'll get Sonic & GF2 today, then maybe wait on Space Harrier & Super Hang-On next week when I have a bit more funds.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Next week when the eShop updates, as I recall the eShop mentioning that when I went to purchase some games.

Honestly I prefer Hang-On's sole track to anything in Super Hang-On and was let down that Super Hang-On doesn't have even a remix of it

I'm not saying Super Hang-On's soundtrack is bad, any soundtrack with "Outride a Crisis" can't be bad, it's just that it could've been even better

Oh, and Super Hang-On isn't Hiroshi Kawaguchi, although Hang-On is; Super is Katsuhiro Hayashi, Koichi Namiki and Shigeru Ohwada.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So convince me on Super Hang-On. I like Outrun & for $3, I might as well try it out.

Now hoping we'll hear more details on 3D Sonic 2 soon. I really want to know if we'll get Hidden Palace Zone (or the ability to play Knuckles now that I think about it).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow! I only started following the 3D Classics series with Afterburner II and Outrun, so this sale is the right moment to pick up anything I missed!

I think I'm interested in every single one of them except Ecco and Altered Beasts... Any other game I can safely skip? Please note I never played these games except for Sonic 1, so there's no nostalgia factor for me; I'm only wondering which games are still worth playing today.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, remind me the differences between the Japan & International versions of Sonic 1 (something about being invincible after getting hit on spikes?) and then Genesis 1 & 2 of PSG Emulation? & what's the "Special" trigger for?

Edit: Oh okay, JPN fixes that spike bug & has moving backgrounds & Special triggers the stage select. Not sure on the sound, though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Alright, remind me the differences between the Japan & International versions of Sonic 1 (something about being invincible after getting hit on spikes?) and then Genesis 1 & 2 of PSG Emulation? & what's the "Special" trigger for?

JP Sonic 1 has more layers of scrolling in BG
PSG emulation affects sound quality

dunno about Special

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
JP Sonic 1 has more layers of scrolling in BG
PSG emulation affects sound quality

dunno about Special
From what I've read, one is more on the Mega Drive, while the other is Genesis, though it can be hard to tell unless you're a big sound/music enthusiast.

Oh wow! I only started following the 3D Classics series with Afterburner II and Outrun, so this sale is the right moment to pick up anything I missed!

I think I'm interested in every single one of them except Ecco and Altered Beasts... Any other game I can safely skip? Please note I never played these games except for Sonic 1, so there's no nostalgia factor for me; I'm only wondering which games are still worth playing today.
Altered Beast is the only release most recommend skipping, as Streets of Rage obsoletes it. Every game's equipped with means to make tough sections/playthroughs easier, so a game like Galaxy Force II or Super Hang-On's playable for non-experienced players.

Great timing for a sale, as I have money in the digital wallet. I'm just going to wait for SoR2 to mosey along.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Altered Beast is the only release most recommend skipping, as Streets of Rage obsoletes it. Every game's equipped with means to make tough sections/playthroughs easier, so a game like Galaxy Force II or Super Hang-On's playable for non-experienced players.

Great timing for a sale, as I have money in the digital wallet. I'm just going to wait for SoR2 to mosey along.

Thanks!

Does SoR2 makes SoR1 "obsolete", or are they both worth playing? And is it any fun in single-player?

Thanks!

Does SoR2 makes SoR1 "obsolete", or are they both worth playing? And is it any fun in single-player?

They're both pretty fun games. I think 2's a better game because it's a bigger game overall (more stages, characters, variety, even more godlike music than the original) but you can't go wrong with either. The 3D port is a bit barebones in terms of extras though, it has a 3D mode and a one hit death mode. For three bucks though, you really can't go wrong... you'll have a very fun hour and change playing the game.

i was going to say "time to pick up all the ones i don't have" but i realized that between the retail collection and the ones i've bought individually, that's just altered beast

so never mind

From what I've read, one is more on the Mega Drive, while the other is Genesis, though it can be hard to tell unless you're a big sound/music enthusiast.

Close but not quite. One is for the Model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive, and the other is Model 2.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

The Model 1 has better sound than Model 2. But why have an option for worse sound? Because M2 is that hardcore and wants you to play it the way you remember it!

Khaz

SoR2 definitely makes SoR obsolete. Playing 1 after 2 makes 1 feel terrible and will just frustrate you. You will have a better experience playing them in order or skipping 1 altogether. 1 is great on its own, mind you, but in a world where 2 exists, 1 is for collectors only.

Don't skip Altered Beast or Ecco. They're great games in their own genre, it's just that people don't seem to like the genres.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WOW, so yeah, for those who were saying that Galaxy Force II probably had the best use of 3D of all the games, you were right. I tried a level out and it looks GREAT. I think I'm gonna like this more than After Burner II despite enjoying Climax on PSN/XBLA.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So convince me on Super Hang-On. I like Outrun & for $3, I might as well try it out.

Outrun is a driving game with a racing element. Super Hang-On is a straight-up racing game. The bike handles way differently to the Ferrari and it's especially fun to play with gyro controls, I think.

djlr181

Now hoping we'll hear more details on 3D Sonic 2 soon. I really want to know if we'll get Hidden Palace Zone (or the ability to play Knuckles now that I think about it).

Super Hang-On is awesome. In some respects it plays very similar to Out Run, but the courses are much narrower and you also have a turbo button, which makes the game a bit faster. Also, if you loved the soundtrack in Out Run, Super Hang-On has some rockin tunes as well. Out Run may have a slight edge over Super Hang On, but that doesn't mean it isn't an amazing title that still holds up after 20 years.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, so it sounds like I WOULD like Super Hang-On, especially for the sale price. Thanks for the second opinions, I'll nab it on Tuesday when I get some more funds.

oneida

no one understands you like I do baby

9AK2INOh.jpg

Remk

Great tunes for sure. Outrun's soundtrack goes so well with its aesthetic tho. I can't hate.

We can all agree Hiroshi Kawaguchi is a god of music.

Hell yeah, the man composed so many classics that are integral to the Sega arcade legacy.

no one understands you like I do baby

9AK2INOh.jpg

But... it's the Genesis port, if it were the arcade version then it would be more attractive.

I am debating on getting this and Ecco, I doubt I'll play them much but at $3 is not like it will be a big loss; then again I have some eshop games on my radar too...

oneida

Hell yeah, the man composed so many classics that are integral to the Sega arcade legacy.

But... it's the Genesis port, if it were the arcade version then it would be more attractive.

I am debating on getting this and Ecco, I doubt I'll play them much but at $3 is not like it will be a big loss; then again I have some eshop games on my radar too...
the Genesis port isn't all that different from the arcade to be fair.

Umibozu

bought ecco, kind of regret it after playing it for a bit. I remember playing it when I was younger and not liking it then either, lol. Even altered beast would've been better, but I've already beaten it so many times on my genesis.
I guess I'll get street of rage next

oneida

bought ecco, kind of regret it after playing it for a bit. I remember playing it when I was younger and not liking it then either, lol. Even altered beast would've been better, but I've already beaten it so many times on my genesis.
I guess I'll get street of rage next
get them all.

BTails

Gonna grab a few of these this weekend... Oneida, don't worry, you're not alone in your love of Altered Beast. I honestly think it might be my most played Genesis cart that doesn't have "Sonic" in the title.

ghibli99

It's the same game for sure, but the presentation gets a noticeable downgrade on Genesis particularly on the sprites and music..
The Genesis version does have parallax scrolling and maybe my memory's a little fuzzy, but I think it plays/controls better too. The voices are hilariously bad in some cases, though, and yeah, not having transparencies and other subtle scaling effects hurt the visual presentation.

retroman

Here's a little-known secret about Super Hang-On:
it has better music than Outrun

Honestly I prefer Hang-On's sole track to anything in Super Hang-On and was let down that Super Hang-On doesn't have even a remix of it

I'm not saying Super Hang-On's soundtrack is bad, any soundtrack with "Outride a Crisis" can't be bad, it's just that it could've been even better

Oh, and Super Hang-On isn't Hiroshi Kawaguchi, although Hang-On is; Super is Katsuhiro Hayashi, Koichi Namiki and Shigeru Ohwada.

You guys should listen to these tracks:

Hang-On - Theme Of Love (H. Arrange Version)

Super Hang-On - Outride A Crisis (Mickey Arrange Version)

Super Hang-On - Sprinter (Mickey Arrange Version)

Super Hang-On - Winning Run (Mickey Arrange Version)

Super Hang-On - Hard Road (Mickey Arrange Version)

oneida

what's the list of system 16-> Genesis ports and could I make the case that if you factor in it being a launch title, altered beast is the best one?

idk I just think it's cool

retroman

what's the list of system 16-> Genesis ports and could I make the case that if you factor in it being a launch title, altered beast is the best one?

idk I just think it's cool

These are the ones I know of:

Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wrestle War

So I'm playing Galaxy Force II on a n3DS and it says do I want to play with a circle pad pro and I say yes and...it does nothing. Is it bugged or am I doing something wrong?

Also Altered Beast easily has some of the best art direction of these games and the concept is so damn cool that it's easily recommended at the current sale price. I can't for the life of me get past the third stage though.

Top Bottom