• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Sapiens

Are all of M2's PS3 ports this high-quality & "arcade perfect"? I'm probably going to blind buy them soon.

I can only speak for their Neo Geo work, but it's pretty amazing - they even added a cpu overclock for Metal Slug 2 so it wouldn't slow down.

I feel like I'm missing out cuz I'm on 2DS, lmao.

I have the retail compilation for my JP N3DS at least.
Ehh, I honestly don't even use the 3D. Especially for the arcade scrolling games.

I like the effect added to the Genesis ports, Classic screen mode + 3D is pretty rad looking for some of them. Sonic and Shinobi 3 look perfect on it, whereas I prefer the crisp normal screen mode for Streets Of Rage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We'll probably get more info soon on Sonic 2 in a few weeks if Japan is getting it this month or so. As for an interview, we probably won't get one translated until Sept. They tend to post those about a week before or the week of the game's release.

baconcow

We'll probably get more info soon on Sonic 2 in a few weeks if Japan is getting it this month or so. As for an interview, we probably won't get one translated until Sept. They tend to post those about a week before or the week of the game's release.

Thanks. Hoping for competitive local play (without the slowdown in the Genesis original).

What if they made a special mode for Sonic 2 ala Fantasy Zone 2's Link Loop Land where it's basically a Special Stage endless runner that increases in difficulty as it progresses

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That would honestly be rather cool, especially since that would be the highlight of the 3D version.

baconcow

What if they made a special mode for Sonic 2 ala Fantasy Zone 2's Link Loop Land where it's basically a Special Stage endless runner that increases in difficulty as it progresses

It would also be nice if they made an looped level race, where the end of the level restarts at the beginning and you can either choose an amount of laps or time limit. Similar to how Sonic 3 was done, but with much larger levels.

Espiox

I wouldn't expect anything that drastic. I'm betting that Knuckles is playable, but I doubt there'll be any major new modes, just features more in-line with SoR2 and Gunstar.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Knuckles will probably be a post-game unlock. Actually, it's kind of a shame they didn't go with making him unlockable in Sonic 1 considering they DID plan on putting him in, but something about the color scheme didn't work, so instead they made the Blue Sphere minigame playable via Sonic 1 + S&K carts.

Guys, does Space Harrier have a spiritual successor? It's now my favourite game of all time. (I already know about Space Harrier 2, does that match up?)

I would personally recommend the Panzer Dragoon games. Totally Space Harrier inspired, and the original, Zwei, and Orta are all fantastic games. Panzer Dragoon RPG is of course apparently amazing too, though completely different.

Maybe there's a better match, but Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii is fantastic and plays like a more bullet hell-ish version of Space Harrier. Can't really think of anything else other than SH2, unfortunately.

Sin and Punishment 1 and 2 are excellent recommendations, amazing games.

Planet Harriers is an official sequel, released in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwObt6PTvw

I don't think it ever received an official home release, though, only Arcade.

I've always wanted a home port of this. I wasn't very impressed when I tried it near release, but still want to give it a chance.

Cody_D165

Banned
Welp, 3D Streets of Rage 2 delayed a week, now releasing on 23rd.

darth-vader-no.jpg

GenG3000

Kid Icarus: Uprising flying sections are basically Space Harrier for the 21st century. Sakurai said that it was his inspiration for the game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Famitsu did a special extra interview for 3D SOR2 that includes Okunari from Sega, Horii, Namiki and Matsuoka from M2 and a few of the original developers: Yuzo and Ayano Koshiro (siblings, not partners!) and Hitoshi Ariga (Ayano's husband, probably known by most for his work on the Mega Man Megamix manga):

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/10082667.html

I haven't read it yet, but I'll post some bits and pieces soon.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The JP site for 3D Sonic 2 is up: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/sonic2/index.html

Local multiplayer is in, using the same split-screen display and set of levels as the original game. Extra features mentioned include stage select as default and "ring keep mode" which starts you with 10 rings and halves the amount of rings you lose when you get hit. No mention of Knuckles, but they never reveal all the features right away.

The JP site for 3D Sonic 2 is up: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/sonic2/index.html

Local multiplayer is in, using the same split-screen display and set of levels as the original game. Extra features mentioned include stage select as default and "ring keep mode" which starts you with 10 rings and halves the amount of rings you lose when you get hit. No mention of Knuckles, but they never reveal all the features right away.

Sweet, customizable controls. Now I can finally map Jump to whatever I want!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just realized, that Ring Keep Mode will seriously help with the final stage considering you started with 0 rings. I remember I would use debug mode & summon up 50 rings before the battles so I could be Super Sonic, which wasn't normally possible.

Actually, speaking of Knuckles, what do you think are the odds that Sonic 2 will have the option to play as Knuckles ala "lock-on"? It seems like an obvious inclusion to me.

I mean, it was a option for the original game so I'm sure it'll be in here.

The question is more , do you need to wait for Sonic (3) & Knuckles to come out and purchase that in order to be able to use it.

We know split screen multiplayer is in. Does the interview mention (Single screen) sonic and tails co-op?

Tain

oh man, the single most M2 thing for a Sonic 2 port to include would be local networked co-op where a second player can control Tails independently with their own free camera.

oh man, the single most M2 thing for a Sonic 2 port to include would be local networked co-op where a second player can control Tails independently with their own free camera.

Would be amazing. I'm hoping for it, but I don't want to dream too hard, incase they don't include it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are they including the cut stage included from the Taxman version.
No idea, but we sure hope so. I would hate for such a famous unfinished level to finally be completed & made playable after all these years to be exclusive to an iOS port of all things.

I mean, it was a option for the original game so I'm sure it'll be in here.

The question is more , do you need to wait for Sonic (3) & Knuckles to come out and purchase that in order to be able to use it.
Do you think they'll actually release it? A lot of people say that due to copyright issues with the music that it's likely there never will be a 3DS port. I really would love a port of it though, I haven't played it in so long and I'm willing to wait for a potential 3DS version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why would a 3DS port have issue with copyright issues with the music when there's been plenty of other ports (i.e XBLA)? Hell, it's on the DS with the other Sonic games in that Classics Collection. Or did that have different music?

I agree with zonic, sonic 3 (&knuckles) has been ported so much and so often, I don't see why there would be a legal issue preventing a 3d classics version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wasn't the only time S3&K had different music was from a PC port? I don't recall it ever being used since.

Espiox

No idea, but we sure hope so. I would hate for such a famous unfinished level to finally be completed & made playable after all these years to be exclusive to an iOS port of all things.

That level was built for a version of the game that runs on a different engine. Not that that would be too much for M2, but I think it's probably outside the scope/budget of these MD/Genesis releases to rebuild that content here. Hope I'm wrong though, I'd rather have that than Knuckles.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I don't remember how the level itself was. But I thought it was a mistake to use the Mystic Cave music instead of the actual Hidden Palace music. I mean, isn't it supposed to be a "what if" restoration of what the level was supposed to be like?

Yeah I know the Hidden Palace music didn't have much drive to it, but still....

Why would a 3DS port have issue with copyright issues with the music when there's been plenty of other ports (i.e XBLA)? Hell, it's on the DS with the other Sonic games in that Classics Collection. Or did that have different music?
No idea, but those have been the rumblings I've been hearing as to why it'd likely we won't see a 3DS version. I hope they do it though! I haven't played it in years and I'd really like to do so on my fave console.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember how the level itself was. But I thought it was a mistake to use the Mystic Cave music instead of the actual Hidden Palace music. I mean, isn't it supposed to be a "what if" restoration of what the level was supposed to be like?

Yeah I know the Hidden Palace music didn't have much drive to it, but still....

It's a huge shame they didn't use the music we've all accepted as Hidden Palace. Mystic Cave just doesn't sound right. Really wish we got Taxman versions besides iOS somehow.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here's the Famitsu interview with Okunari/Horii for 3D Sonic 2: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/22083941.html

I don't have time to break it down right now, but the way they describe converting the special stages into stereoscopic 3D is pretty neat: they took the individual frames from the special stage BG, used them to reconstruct full 3D polygonal courses, used those polygonal courses to map their stereo 3D depth data and then overlaid that data back over the in-game courses, so even though you're seeing the original visuals, you're essentially getting "real" stereo 3D.

They also discuss the future of the series--not a whole lot to latch onto, just the standard "we'd love to do more if we get the opportunity". Horii namedrops a bunch of games: Landstalker, Light Crusader, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Vectorman, even Virtua Fighter.

ghibli99

I love all of these. Bought everything except Sonic, Altered Beast, and Ecco.

Power Drift isn't part of any current plans, is it? I watched the attract sequence for that game in arcades for hours. Would love a version on 3DS if it can handle it!

D.Lo

even Virtua Fighter.
Yes! Arcade games!

Landstalker, Light Crusader, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Vectorman
Lame, Mega Drive.

I love all of these. Bought everything except Sonic, Altered Beast, and Ecco.

Power Drift isn't part of any current plans, is it? I watched the attract sequence for that game in arcades for hours. Would love a version on 3DS if it can handle it!
Yeah Power Drift would be great. The game itself is a bit of a mess, but it's an amazing retro ride, like After Burner or Galaxy Force.

Here's the Famitsu interview with Okunari/Horii for 3D Sonic 2: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/22083941.html

I don't have time to break it down right now, but the way they describe converting the special stages into stereoscopic 3D is pretty neat: they took the individual frames from the special stage BG, used them to reconstruct full 3D polygonal courses, used those polygonal courses to map their stereo 3D depth data and then overlaid that data back over the in-game courses, so even though you're seeing the original visuals, you're essentially getting "real" stereo 3D.

They also discuss the future of the series--not a whole lot to latch onto, just the standard "we'd love to do more if we get the opportunity". Horii namedrops a bunch of games: Landstalker, Light Crusader, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Vectorman, even Virtua Fighter.

WOW, amazing! :O

And Virtua Fighter, and actual 3D polygonal game, I need it, NOW!

Anyone up for translating the interview or at least giving a major full summary? Credit goes to you at Sonic Stadium with full appreciation! :)

Top Bottom