• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Forkball

Ken Sugimori (Pokemon artist) tweeted out his 3DS home screen.
CKfDEEqUAAETeli.jpg

I recently got a New 3DS and picked up Outrun and Super Hang-On. The 3D effect is pretty great, but I have to turn it off for Outrun because it's feels like that scene from 2001.

If Horii's mentioned Landstalker, would that mean he thinks it's possible even after he (or maybe Okunari) ruled it out? Crazy if so. Virtua Fighter sounds great, but I think Power Drift would be an easier job for M2. Gonna read the SoR2 interview tomorrow.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here's another interview with Game Watch: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20150722_712582.html

Okunari seems pretty keen on doing Virtua Racing, too.

Even so, the message about the future of the series is pretty consistent: "we don't know if it'll continue but every time we say it's over we end up coming back, so..."

If Horii's mentioned Landstalker, would that mean he thinks it's possible even after he (or maybe Okunari) ruled it out? Crazy if so. Virtua Fighter sounds great, but I think Power Drift would be an easier job for M2. Gonna read the SoR2 interview tomorrow.

Horii's just rattling off names, really. They were talking about how it's a nice coincidence that they're ending with 16 titles, and Horii responds by joking that they'll only continue if they can make it to 32.

Koobion

One more day until Streets of Rage 2! I can't wait to get in the bath tub with my New3DS and play the hell out of that game.

Oh my, with Power Drift, Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter they'll have largely tapped out Yu Suzuki's classics!*

I know M2 pull off amazing feats but still have to wonder whether the Virtua games are technically possible...

*(Which will be fully complete with the NX Shenmue remake of course)

Can't wait for SoR2 on Thursday. I've purchased every Sega 3D Classics game and have been so incredibly impressed with them. I desperately hope Sega allows M2 to continue this series into next year and even beyond 3DS onto NX.

I'm excited for SOR2 tomorrow, I always hype these titles on my facebook to my friends. I think a wishlist for me for future titles would have to be Alien Soldier, Outrunners, and it's a bit of an oddball choice but I would really love to have Aurail on my 3DS.

Slermy

They also discuss the future of the series--not a whole lot to latch onto, just the standard "we'd love to do more if we get the opportunity". Horii namedrops a bunch of games: Landstalker, Light Crusader, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Vectorman, even Virtua Fighter.

Oh man, Vectorman could be really cool.

Ken Sugimori (Pokemon artist) tweeted out his 3DS home screen.
CKfDEEqUAAETeli.jpg

I recently got a New 3DS and picked up Outrun and Super Hang-On. The 3D effect is pretty great, but I have to turn it off for Outrun because it's feels like that scene from 2001.

Fantastic! I love him even more!

Yuterald

They also discuss the future of the series--not a whole lot to latch onto, just the standard "we'd love to do more if we get the opportunity". Horii namedrops a bunch of games: Landstalker, Light Crusader, Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Vectorman, even Virtua Fighter.

Fuck, need all of this to happen.

Oh man, Vectorman could be really cool.
Vectorman would be really interesting. I wonder if it even has much of a following overseas since it never came out in Japan.

I replayed it recently, and I didn't think it was spectacular, but the graphics were good and the soundtrack is among the best on the system, no hyperbole.

Sonic 2 is probably my most anticipated game this fall, lol

really, really hoping they hit Sonic 3 & Knuckles eventually. these are the definitive versions of these games, IMO

Grabbed 3D Sonic 2. Stage select is available right from the main menu. So far M2 have absolutely outdone themselves with the 3D effect, Emerald Hill is fucking amazing. Every single layer in the background is at a slightly different depth, and those little twisty path things look incredible. It's like they really do curve around now.

(These bits)

Emeraldhill.png

Special stage really hurt my eyes though. They run at the same low frame rate; all the layers of 3D chugging and jerking around mess with my head I think.

Also the bonus M2 credits
show off all the enemies, and feature Tails just mindlessly walking into most of them while Sonic gets more annoyed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKhmkVYUcAAMbn1.jpg:large

I'll try and see if I can get the debug code working later.

Holy crap

I would love Story of Thor. Absolutely incredible game

Not really. I love what he did to Sonic CD and Sonic 1 & 2, but none of his remakes are available on platforms with physical buttons.

CD is

Hmm, maybe we could get Puyo Puyo 2 w/online play? That would add some challenge for M2 and longevity for Western players, going by Horii's joke that it would be an easier kind of game to port.

Here's another interview with Game Watch: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20150722_712582.html

Okunari seems pretty keen on doing Virtua Racing, too.

Even so, the message about the future of the series is pretty consistent: "we don't know if it'll continue but every time we say it's over we end up coming back, so..."

Horii's just rattling off names, really. They were talking about how it's a nice coincidence that they're ending with 16 titles, and Horii responds by joking that they'll only continue if they can make it to 32.

OMG bring Virtua Racing, Landstalker, Panzer Dragoon, Daytona... Bring them all

Slermy

Vectorman would be really interesting.

Yeah, I think the "spheres" could have interesting depth to him, and I believe I read an article many moons about about how his animations in the first game were actually vector/motion driven and not traditional sprites. Or something along those lines.

Not really. I love what he did to Sonic CD and Sonic 1 & 2, but none of his remakes are available on platforms with physical buttons.

Taxman's versions are available on the Amazon Fire TV. The Fire TV (non-stick) also supports USB controllers. I picked up a RetroUSB Genesis/USB adapter and hooked up my "Remote Arcade" to it. It works like a dream.

Widescreen, sharp picture, wireless controllers, extra content. Perfection.

I bought the Fire TV just for this purpose.

The bonus modes in Sonic 2 are pretty dull.

Easy mode which starts you off with ten rings, and getting hit only makes you lose half of them every time.

Once you complete the game (don't need to get all the emeralds) you unlock an option to play as Super Sonic right away.

baconcow

I know they mentioned SoR2 is running at 60 fps. Does anyone with the Japanese version know what frame rate Sonic 2 is running at? I was hoping the slowdowns would be gone.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I haven't played it but I imagine it performs identically to the original game.

They keep pointing out SOR2's framerate to emphasise what a big leap it was over the original, which runs at 30FPS and has quite small sprites.

Veal

If someone told me 20 years ago that Nintendo's Gameboy successor would become the definitive home of some of Sega's most beloved classics, I would never believe them. Absolutely stellar work is being done here! Baffling that Nintendo gave up on this so early.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
If someone told me 20 years ago that Nintendo's Gameboy successor would become the definitive home of some of Sega's most beloved classics, I would never believe them. Absolutely stellar work is being done here! Baffling that Nintendo gave up on this so early.
Honestly I wish Sega and M2 would approach Nintendo about collaborating on furthering the 3D Classics line. It's beyond stupid that Nintendo cut and ran from 3D conversions after a slow dripfeed of basic-ass early NES stuff (Kirby notwithstanding) while Sega's pumping out way more advanced Genesis and arcade obscurae on the regular.

If Nintendo would have announced, say, a 3D Classics version of Super Metroid alongside Federation Force, people would have been too busy having religious experiences to slag off FF. Hell, one of the first things Nintendo demoed the 3DS with was a Yoshi's Island conversion. Those caliber of releases would sell absolute gangbusters.

AdanVC

Aww yisss Streets of Rage 2 available today. The game with the coolest soundtrack of the 16/32 bit generation. Based Koshiro. Based M2! Grabbing this later today!

Lynd7

Honestly I wish Sega and M2 would approach Nintendo about collaborating on furthering the 3D Classics line. It's beyond stupid that Nintendo cut and ran from 3D conversions after a slow dripfeed of basic-ass early NES stuff (Kirby notwithstanding) while Sega's pumping out way more advanced Genesis and arcade obscurae on the regular.

If Nintendo would have announced, say, a 3D Classics version of Super Metroid alongside Federation Force, people would have been too busy having religious experiences to slag off FF. Hell, one of the first things Nintendo demoed the 3DS with was a Yoshi's Island conversion. Those caliber of releases would sell absolute gangbusters.

Same, I wish Nintendo would hire M2 for better 3D Classics. Starfox SNES...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Same, I wish Nintendo would hire M2 for better 3D Classics. Starfox SNES...
Oh mannn, Starfox in 3D with a proper framerate... yesyesyes.gif

Plus with the way M2's been going above and beyond with these things, they'd probably find a way to give Star Fox 2 it's first proper release to boot.

Ugh, give these guys the keys to your kingdom already, Nintendo.

Robin64

To be fair, they already have a little bit of a relationship with Nintendo given they made the GBA emulator for Wii U for them. I'm quietly hopeful that we could see some Nintendo stuff from them, but not until they're done with Sega stuff. And how much of that is left? (LOADS)

Top Bottom