• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Another VGA question for the group:

I got a VGA box a few years ago and everything looked great, but then my TV died. I've replaced it, but newer HDTVs don't seem to come with VGA inputs anymore.

Do I simply need a VGA>HDMI cable/adaptor?

Thanks!

fenners

Another VGA question for the group:

I got a VGA box a few years ago and everything looked great, but then my TV died. I've replaced it, but newer HDTVs don't seem to come with VGA inputs anymore.

Do I simply need a VGA>HDMI cable/adaptor?

Yep, that's what I do.

Discovered a game breaking glitch in Headhunter's new game plus mode aka Headhunter V2 - when you attempt the B-2 licence LEILA the guards will not move at all when triggered into suspicious mode.

Big problem is this is a stealth test and there is one guard you must lure away from his post to proceed as it is only way through the level. Tried reloading my saves, multiple attempts, nothing works.

How easy is it to emulate the Dreamcast on the PC?

I have my Dreamcast, but really don't want to take it out again and wouldn't mind HD versions of Shenmue etc.

I have my Dreamcast, but really don't want to take it out again and wouldn't mind HD versions of Shenmue etc.

From what I understand, not too difficult but some games have compatiibility issues. I still use my actual DC so I don't know much only what I read here.

IrishNinja

ugh, was just at a flea market with fellow gaffers bishopcruz & gunsmith x, had a great DC CIB pile going:

Sonic Adventure 1-2 (2 missing manual though)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Crazy Taxi
other stuff

was hoping for a deal...guy won't sell the sonic games (...), wants $10 each on everything else. I was gonna bite on Taxi but it was scratched to shit! also wouldn't sell me the Sega-CD stuff i found or the saturn stuff the other two guys had, which was a much bigger bummer since gun had Darius Gaiden & Legend of Oasis, and bish found Guardian Heroes...i really should't be complaining but man i wanted some DC shit. ah well.

pulled MM X5 (PSX) & Wayne Gretzky Arcade '98 for $15, so not a total loss!

Wereroku

ugh, was just at a flea market with fellow gaffers bishopcruz & gunsmith x, had a great DC CIB pile going:

Sonic Adventure 1-2 (2 missing manual though)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Crazy Taxi
other stuff

was hoping for a deal...guy won't sell the sonic games (...), wants $10 each on everything else. I was gonna bite on Taxi but it was scratched to shit! also wouldn't sell me the Sega-CD stuff i found or the saturn stuff the other two guys had, which was a much bigger bummer since gun had Darius Gaiden & Legend of Oasis, and bish found Guardian Heroes...i really should't be complaining but man i wanted some DC shit. ah well.

pulled MM X5 (PSX) & Wayne Gretzky Arcade '98 for $15, so not a total loss!

Why is he at the flea market if he doesn't want to sell his stuff?

Jacobi

Banned

Super easy and runs even on older PCs. But there isn't an emulator that emulates ShenMue totally perfect :(

IrishNinja

Why is he at the flea market if he doesn't want to sell his stuff?

yeah, that is weird

right? apparently dude (who wasn't there, so everything we wanted to buy had to be run by him over the phone) is a collector or sorts, and i'm guessing that stuff was recently traded in or the like. it's in a crate right under stuff that's clearly for sale, so i very much thought it was fair game - especially when the employee insisted it was just empty cases in there (even then, bishop pointed out there were saturn cases, so it was totally worth checking!). kind've a letdown/waste of time but at least we got some stuff...still, it's weird being told you can't buy Ecco: the times of tide for Sega-CD, was so sure that was up for grabs.

Mzo

ugh, was just at a flea market with fellow gaffers bishopcruz & gunsmith x

Where did you go? Thursday mornings are the time for the Swap Shop, that's the day they don't charge people to set up. Tons of vendors you don't see on any of the other days.

IrishNinja

Where did you go? Thursday mornings are the time for the Swap Shop, that's the day they don't charge people to set up. Tons of vendors you don't see on any of the other days.

ah, didn't know that was the day! we went to this outdoor flea market in opa-locka, only found that one stall. again you might get lucky but they basically charge $10 for any PSX or other CIB game, and i didn't see many i'd pay that much for. honestly though after the disappointment of not being able to buy things i could find, i don't know how quickly i'd return...but it'd be cool to find another vendor out there somewhere.

alf717

Pick up Dead or Alive 2 from a local pawn shop yesterday for $6. Button layout and executing moves is pretty easy. Tengu wasn't easy but I learned it ain't all about mashing punch and kick buttons when fighting gotta learn the right time to throw a block as well.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Dreamcast....My favourite console ever. Here are some of my consoles on display.

e9G4WAb.jpg

HmbWD0w.jpg

q8XX7M9.jpg

IrishNinja

holy crap SegaManAU, that's a great collection man!

- is...is that an Okawa doll!?

- i very rarely see the S.T.A.R.S. edition DC, certainly never with the Sonic Adventure one, nice man! always wanted to find the controller to that sonic one by itself for a good price, heh.

- what's the blue holder thing between the Ryo statue & watch? also never saw the VMU behind it before!

SegaManAU

Gold Member
holy crap SegaManAU, that's a great collection man!

- is...is that an Okawa doll!?

- i very rarely see the S.T.A.R.S. edition DC, certainly never with the Sonic Adventure one, nice man! always wanted to find the controller to that sonic one by itself for a good price, heh.

- what's the blue holder thing between the Ryo statue & watch? also never saw the VMU behind it before!

The rest are in my cupboard and my display cabinet is not big enough for everything! =(

The blue Sega box is a set of 4 Sonic figures which are very badly hand painted from Sega. They supposedly were given out along with the Sonic 10th anniversary DC.

IrishNinja

wow, mad impressed. for real though, is that Okawa? i forget if it was him or the prior guy (honda one) on the orange box of some JP DC's but it looks like him, and if so i have to find that one day!

NR1

I was able to buy a first-party VGA box from the NeoGAF Gaming Buy/Sell thread a few weeks ago, and I am blown away by the video quality!!! WOW!

Here are some comparison screens I took. Please note, these were taken with my iPhone 5 on the TV screen. Not direct video captures. These give a pretty good idea of the difference, but pale to the true reality. You have to see it in-person to believe it.

Shenmue

Sega Rally 2

Crazy Taxi

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

meanspartan

I finally got that VGA cable working, and WOW.

It made me wish other old consoles had VGA support, games age much more gracefully in 480p than standard def.

alf717

I finally got that VGA cable working, and WOW.

It made me wish other old consoles had VGA support, games age much more gracefully in 480p than standard def.

Do you get a really clear image while playing? I use one of those external clear VGA boxes and get lines while playing on some LCD screen. I've messed around with clock settings and sometimes can get it to look smooth. Even bought one of those VGA to HDMI boxes and still get the horrible lines. They are like jail bars. Never was satisfied with VGA cause I have to mess around with it all the time just to get a clear image. So I just use S-video. Might consider buying one of those cables you mentioned.

koopas

In my experience with Dreamcast, VGA has a clear visual advantage over S-Video. Noticeably different on my Panasonic Plasma.

I will say though that most modern TVs are losing VGA support so that may be an issue for many..

I was able to buy a first-party VGA box from the NeoGAF Gaming Buy/Sell thread a few weeks ago, and I am blown away by the video quality!!! WOW!

Here are some comparison screens I took. Please note, these were taken with my iPhone 5 on the TV screen. Not direct video captures. These give a pretty good idea of the difference, but pale to the true reality. You have to see it in-person to believe it.

Shenmue

Sega Rally 2

Crazy Taxi

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Yep, the last time graphics blew me away. Dreamcast via VGA was glorious.

How has Skies of Arcadia held up over the years? I kinda want to try an RPG on Dreamcast and that is one that is expensive, but still attainable ($40 at my local games shop).

But if it hasn't aged well, then that wouldn't be worth it to me.

Just wanted to chime in. The music is so epic! The graphics are STILL gorgeous. There were some areas of the game where I would just hang out because the graphics were so beautiful. I still need to get the soundtrack. This game and Shenmue are my favorites for Dreamcast. So many sweet memories! The Dreamcast really made me appreciate game soundtracks. The random encounters are annoying but you can get over it. Discovering hidden places in the game is so fun. You actually feel like an explorer. Skies of Arcadia is one game no one should miss.
Sorry my reply is all over the place. I get excited when talking about this game and Shenmue.

woodypop

Shenmue
Man, that Lan Di shot is a great example of the clarity the VGA cable brings.

I remember hooking up the VGA cable for the first time to my monitor with Soul Calibur. I was absolutely floored by how clear all the details became. It was glorious!

Man, that Lan Di shot is a great example of the clarity the VGA cable brings.

I remember hooking up the VGA cable for the first time to my monitor with Soul Calibur. I was absolutely floored by how clear all the details became. It was glorious!

Soul Calibur was my first VGA experience with my Dreamcast too. Mindblowing. I specifically remember how clear the spark effects were, and how you could see them collide with the stage geometry so clearly. Such detail.

Cess007

Yesterday, a workmate sold me his Dreamcast and a couple of games (Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online) for like 40dlls.
This is the first Sega console i'ever own and i gotta admit that Shenmue looks good for a 2000 console game. I think is time to take a dive in a flea market and hunt for some good Dreamcast games. Any suggestions? : )

woodypop

Just got done watching the first episode of The Shield (yeah, I know I'm wayyyyy late) and saw a drug dealer and his chick playing Crazy Taxi. It was on Dreamcast, cuz they also showed the controller.

46DA8B9A-4F82-4B78-8745-C64BF7B1AC80_zpsrqe2dkr0.jpg

Kinda makes sense, considering the episode came out in 2002. I love seeing this kinda stuff!

clem84

Gold Member
Since the copy of Toukon Retsuden 4 I bought last year was clearly a dud as it wouldn't boot on any console or with any boot disc (DC-X, Utopia etc) I've dropped the cash to get another copy. Hopefully this time it works.

I also ordered Stunt GP and Super Runabout: The Golden State as they were both extremely cheap.

I think I'm close to 70 games now on my Dreamcast, gotta go check that spreadsheet...

Super Runabout is such a hidden gem it's ridiculous. The reviews weren't very good when the game came out but man it is awesome. One of my most played DC game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Weird that I've posted so little in this thread, considering I used to be super into the Dreamcast.

Anyway, quick question: is there a qualitative difference between the various VGA boxes out there? I have some off-brand one that looks like it was made by a rabid man who lives in a sewer. If there's a potentially better one out there, I want to know about it.

Also realizing that I've never actually hooked the Dreamcast up to a TV with the VGA box, despite having the ability to do so. Always a computer monitor. That's just sad. And it might also explain why I really haven't played much Dreamcast since buying the VGA box.

woodypop

^I'm curious about this as well.

I have ones from Naki, SEGA, and Performance. The only physical difference between the three is that the Performance adapter has a pass through for a VGA signal, so you can hook your computer up to the monitor, as well as the Dreamcast. It was a fairly useful feature back in the day. But as far as the quality for sending a VGA signal from the Dreamcast, are there any differences?

Dreamcast came out in 1999!? :O

Wow, goes by fast...and getting old! *cry*

All I remember is that my DC was a fighting game machine with a little Skies of Arcadia on the side.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyway, quick question: is there a qualitative difference between the various VGA boxes out there? I have some off-brand one that looks like it was made by a rabid man who lives in a sewer. If there's a potentially better one out there, I want to know about it.
If you want to test your display equipment, I recommend downloading and burning a copy of the Dreamcast version of the 240p video calibration suite. If there's anything really off with the signal, one of those tests will show it.

No shame in using a computer monitor for console gaming, either. That's all I use for any of my systems. I've still never gotten around to purchasing an HDTV.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you want to test your display equipment, I recommend downloading and burning a copy of the Dreamcast version of the 240p video calibration suite. If there's anything really off with the signal, one of those tests will show it.

No shame in using a computer monitor for console gaming, either. That's all I use for any of my systems. I've still never gotten around to purchasing an HDTV.

Alright, I'll check that out.

Another VGA box question: Does every game that supports the VGA box output in progressive scan? Or are some games still interlaced?

I was interested in an Hanzo, but thanks to my love for Mars Matrix and Bangai-O (which are VGA incompatible), I think I'll go SCART RGB.

Top Bottom