• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I think I should get the Dreamcast version of that game along with Resident Evil 3.

I had 2, 3 and Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. Then they came out on Gamecube and I replaced the Dreamcast versions with the Gamecube versions. Then I sold everything and I don't currently have 2 or 3 (I do have the "HD" version of Code Veronica on PS3).

nded

I ordered one last week. Will let you know if it's any good once I get it.

Tomee VGA cable came in yesterday. Tried it out on some games and while the picture is razor sharp, whenever a bright spot appears I get horizontal dimming on the sides that extends across the screen. Better than my RCA cables, but I suspect you can do better if you want absolutely perfect image quality.

baphomet

Awww Yea, my Kuro finally showed up from Turkey so I can run it into my Kenzei and into my xrgb mini. 480p games look great. Had some issues getting everything going at first, but after messing with it for a bit its working perfectly. I'll probably capture it and post it up here in a few.

Recall

Sega Rally on the Dreamcast was such a let down. It is the only time for I that a game's FPS had such a detrimental effect on the enjoyability.

fenners

I don't like the sound of missing stuff and that case condition, hate the beaten up ones as well since it's not even taken care of.

Right. I was throwing it up there more to show the difference in scale between new/used on Resident Evil 2. There's perfectly good looking complete used copies selling for ~$40 on ebay.

I guess I just don't understand the desire for people to always get sealed/new copies of old Dreamcast games to /play/. There was an entire forum dedicated to collecting sealed DC games -- they were collecting & keeping them sealed at least.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Power Stone 1 is a better game.

There's a cheaper compilation of both games on PSP as well.

I might not be remembering right, but wasn't that PSP port 30fps? It was either that or the screen blur that made it feel slow as hell... but I honestly thought that was one of the worst ports I'd ever played.

I prefer both Power Stone 1 and Marvel vs Capcom 1 over their much more hyped sequels. I feel both games made their sequels all about being as simplistic as possible when the originals put more emphasis on fighting game inputs and good competitive gameplay.

SKINNER!

Banned
PAL version of Power Stone 2 still reasonably priced for a good Dreamcast game. I do second the Power Stone Collection on PSP if you don't have any intentions of playing the game with your friends. You get both games and it's cheap.

Timu

Japanese version regularly goes for under $50 on ebay. Used, but complete copies. There's no language barrier in Power Stone 2 and the Japanese cover is better ;)

Yeesh, dunno when that happened. I got Power Stone 2 complete for $40 just this year.

Ah well, as already mentioned, the JP version is a perfectly viable option. Plus you get a rad Bengus cover instead of an ugly Ryoma render.
Japanese version is much cheaper and does have a better cover so I may go for that.=p

IrishNinja

damn, didnt even think about PAL options for DC - they'd not run at 50hz yeah? im region free now and that might be a cheaper way to get Garou, Giga Wang 2 etc

i hear people say this but if you've got 3 friends over, 2 is the better game all day

IrishNinja

which is cool, its just that i didn't feel the library needed another 1-on-1 title, it's got so many greats and i know Power Stone isn't the standard fighter but still...the madness of 2 where shit's frantic & you're trying to sort out where your character is because everything's blowing up and dropping stuff is an absolute blast

Simply by virtue of the fact that I'm generally playing with more than 2 people, I find myself going back to Power Stone 2 more often. I'll agree that Power Stone 1 is perhaps more carefully crafted, but I go to Power Stone for totally bonkers multiplayer brawling.

Oh and the PSP port is serviceable I guess, especially considering the price difference, but who wants to play Power Stone local multiplayer on a handheld?

But guys they'll get cheaper again someday guys.

(I actually don't believe this to be true, barring a more general economic slump that has people selling off luxury goods.)

kunonabi

which is cool, its just that i didn't feel the library needed another 1-on-1 title, it's got so many greats and i know Power Stone isn't the standard fighter but still...the madness of 2 where shit's frantic & you're trying to sort out where your character is because everything's blowing up and dropping stuff is an absolute blast

Funny thing is when Power Stone first came out I was always somewhat indifferent towards it since I felt it really should have been a 4 player game. My friends and I finally get around to playing Power Stone 2 and we end up going up just going back to the first one. The sequel just never clicked for us and we ended up appreciating how well made the first one really was.

TheYanger

Powerstone 1 better than 2? Blasphemy. Powerstone 2 is my most played Dreamcast game. Still better than smash brothers too. PSP port also is really zoomed in iirc? Seemed bad all around.

televator

I love both games. Ah PS2 though... nothing like leting your noob friend take a minute or 2 to figure out what the umbrelas are for. Its the game where I give myself permission to be an outright asshole. lol

Mzo

PS is an interesting and innovative fighting game that is a lot of fun to play.

PS2 is a party game I don't give a shit about.

IrishNinja

PS2 is a party game I don't give a shit about.

i5ciAQRVt1TCb.gif

ya'll need more parties in ya life
DC got 4 controller ports for a reason nahmean

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Power Stone 2 brings more worthwhile options to the table.

If I want to play a more technical 1-on-1 competitive game, I'm probably not going to be playing a Power Stone game at all.

If I want to play a more technical 1-on-1 competitive game, I'm probably not going to be playing a Power Stone game at all.

You're just not gonna be playing power stone 1. The technical 1 on 1 is what they started off the ground with, and what some appreciate. Using super attacking in PS1 feel much better than using them in 2 to me. Much more proper timing needed too.

Nyoro SF

Count me in with the guys that enjoy PS1 over PS2. A lot was lost in the transition to a party game, many elements which I enjoyed....

Ommadawnyawn

Neo Member
Noob question about SoulCalibur:
Do specific characters unlock other specific characters, or can I beat it over and over with whoever and the game just unlocks someone randomly?

petran79

Banned

emb

Noob question about SoulCalibur:
Do specific characters unlock other specific characters, or can I beat it over and over with whoever and the game just unlocks someone randomly?
I think you can beat it over and over to get most everybody. That's what I did, just playing as random characters, and I finally got Cervy. Just pick different people each time.

I think there's also another character you get through mission mode though.
just burn Dreamexplorer on CD and copy the save game to your memory card. Voila!

all characters and stages unlocked

current gen video games became too protective with their save games unfortunately.
I agree that it's annoying how protective games are these days. It's an annoying drawback of achievements and online play. Even on DC though, PSO was annoying about it.

But most of the time I wouldn't want to start a game with everything unlocked anyway. That's no fun, unless you're just there for multiplayer.

Mzo

I don't want to play whatever other game, I want to play Power Stone. It's not about being super technical (though you can get really, REALLY good at it), it's just a lot of fun and there's nothing else out there quite like it. You can pick up objects like chairs or tables or you can vault them and toss them behind you, or you can just push them towards the other player. You can jump off walls, grab on to poles, and cling to the ceiling. You can homing attack off walls and poles, diagonal jump kick, air grab, ground pound, etc. At any given time you have a wealth of options available to you, all dependent on the stage and what is nearby, and they're all cool. That whole game is almost totally gone from the sequel.

Power Stone 2 was simplified way too much, added really jarring characters that don't mesh well into the game at all, and has the environment hurt and kill you probably more often than other players. It's like every level is fucking poké floats.

I wanted a refinement and an evolution of what made the first game special and we didn't get that at all. We got a completely different game type that has very, very little to do with the first game that I loved. That made me sad. I'm sure there are some positive aspects to the game. They should've just made some Capcom All-Stars Melee/Brawl type game and made a real sequel to Power Stone.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Has anyone here played the Spawn game on Dreamcast? I know it's supposed to be kinda similar to Heavy Metal Geomatrix (which I love), but I dunno if it's actually good.

Top Bottom