• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Has anyone here played the Spawn game on Dreamcast? I know it's supposed to be kinda similar to Heavy Metal Geomatrix (which I love), but I dunno if it's actually good.

Very fun, and very addictive. It's best when playing with friends for a 4 player brawl, but the story mode and bots in multiplayer still make it a fun game for solo play.

kunonabi

Has anyone here played the Spawn game on Dreamcast? I know it's supposed to be kinda similar to Heavy Metal Geomatrix (which I love), but I dunno if it's actually good.

It's pretty fun although unlocking stuff can be a chore. I prefer Heavy Metal but Spawn is still worth playing.

MechDX

Didn't Spawn lack analog control though? Had to use the D pad which made no sense.

EDIT: nevermind. Im thinking of another game I guess. need to bust out the old DC

it was pre rendered background or full 3D ?
Full 3D, so the higher resolution makes a bigger difference.

I wish I had the Dreamcast version, but I had already bought the PlayStation version when it first came out, which was a year before the Dreamcast port. It's a great game. I actually just played through it over the last few days. Hah.

Timu

I finally got this game.=p
jMRnQLtY7AA0j.jpg

Heard great things about it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, Sword of the Berserk is definitely a fun game. That's actually what got me into the anime/manga in the first place. It's a mechanically sound beat-em-up with buckets of blood. Hard to complain about that.

Shame the PS2 Berserk game was such a letdown.

Geniuzz

So, where would one buy DC games these days? If anyone in the western European area has some suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

kunonabi

Summer is a good time for survival horror...maybe everyone should jump into crisis?

I might try and finish it. I started it last year but the dinos were too easy to run past and the game really starts to drag mid way through. I really liked Regina though so I may try and force myself through it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I wish I liked Space Channel 5 more than I do. it borders on greatness but just never really gets there imo. just okay.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
stylistically I think it's one of the best games sega ever published but as a "rhythm game" it's such a pain in the ass

I don't really think there are many who would argue that Space Channel 5 has amazing rhythm gameplay (though it's actually pretty decent compared to most of its competition from the time). It gets by on good music and fun style, and that's okay with me.

Plus it's like $5 and has a rad holo cover so who the fuck would pass up on that

I loved the game but the last level was impossible.

Doesn't the Dreamcast version have some sort timing issues? I think the PlayStation 2 version fixed that...but I don't have that version.

I can't remember if the timing issues were related to controls, the video background displays, or both, though.

Anyway, I really love Space Channel 5, but Part 2 is definitely a whole lot better.

By the way, Ulala is one of my favorite Sega characters, and I tend to try and recreate her in pretty much every game that has a character creation mode. Hah. I have Ulala customs in Soulcalibur V, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Beach Spikers, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (I have like 10+ Ulala-inspired costumes between Sarah and Eileen), and probably some other games, too.

Timu

I'm looking to order those Dreamcast VGA cables soon. Can't wait to see how my Dreamcast games are suppose to look.

Moving in a month and pulled out my Sega Sports Dreamcast. I think I'm going to have to sell it off, but gottta see if the guy still is working once I find a TV to plug it to.

koopas

Speaking of which, with some dc games starting to spike how do all yall resist the urge to purge all your games? I have a sizable collection and some times I think I'd be happier with the cash ...

I recently became an owner of a Dreamcast with Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Fighter.

Found the demo disc content that comes with them entertaining.

Beckx

Hmm. Not surprisingly, the cheap-ass VGA cable I got from an ali-express seller is no longer working well. Games stutter or flake out entirely (to a black screen) and there's no audio. At first I thought it was my Dreamcast but luckily it works fine via the composite cable.

I will probably get a Hanzo box at this point. I'd use emulation but that path seems to be very complicated - the SD card adapters in the OP now seem to be difficult to find/expensive and the BBA is $LOL. Bleh.

televator

Still no Kuro. Guess it will take the full 4 weeks for it to get to me. Can't wait to see how it compares to my cheapy VGA box.

Oxn

Probably my favorite system of all time :D I'm missing a few titles that I traded in a few years ago.. Hopefully when money is better I can reclaim some of them and more!

You are missing Grandia 2, Soul Calibur, and Toy Commander off the top of my head.

baphomet

Still no Kuro. Guess it will take the full 4 weeks for it to get to me. Can't wait to see how it compares to my cheapy VGA box.

I use a kuro and a Kenzei and it looks crazy good. At the top of this page or last I captured some ikaruga with them running into my mini.

It also took mine a good 3-4 weeks to show up.

Hmm. Not surprisingly, the cheap-ass VGA cable I got from an ali-express seller is no longer working well. Games stutter or flake out entirely (to a black screen) and there's no audio. At first I thought it was my Dreamcast but luckily it works fine via the composite cable.

I will probably get a Hanzo box at this point. I'd use emulation but that path seems to be very complicated - the SD card adapters in the OP now seem to be difficult to find/expensive and the BBA is $LOL. Bleh.

I paid for the Hanzo, I think it's money WELL spent if you play Dreamcast. I had a crappy Nyko VGA box before, and the connection would get unstable and mess with the colors. The Hanzo is solid, works great, and I love the scanline generator. Hydro Thunder in VGA with scanlines? Oh Hell YES!!

Timu

Which brand of VGA cables?

Defunkled

I have an American Dreamcast and I just got a Japanese copy of Ikaruga. I know that I need a boot disc in order to play imports but I need help. All the info and guides that I've found are out of date. Should I be using Utopia? I only have access to a Mac so I also need a program that can burn the image to a CD.

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide?

Top Bottom