• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I'm glad that seller guy was banned. I had asked him about Illbleed, Giga Wing and Giga Wing 2. He said he had Illbleed and was looking for the Giga Wings. I never heard back from him after that and now I see why. I have been on an INSANE Dreamcast kick lately and wasn't even thinking straight. I was more than ready to send him Paypal $$$.

By the way, I found a GREAT copy of Seaman today for $20. Seems like a good deal. Before that, I paid $170 for a lot of Cannon Spike, Mars Matrix, Chu-Chu Rocket and Bangai-O. Probably overpaid a bit, but I was getting sick of getting outbid on Cannon Spike and Mars Matrix.

EDIT: Ha! Now that dudes Twitter account is suspended.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually just got one of these today. Mine was defective and made everything look yellow. When I would boot up a game, the Sega logo was green instead of blue.

SEGA was green cuz that shit is cash money.

Speaking of which, I really need to shell out for a Hanzo sometime. I assume there's not actually supposed to be some weird cross-hatching pattern when you use a DC VGA box, right? Because that's what I'm getting out of my knock-off one.

Seik

Banned
I actually just got one of these today. Mine was defective and made everything look yellow.

Same thing happened to me yesterday, except it was with a VGA box.

One chance it was only the VGA cable, once I switched it everything was fine. I didn't want to buy another VGA box. D:

Do ypu guys hook up the DC to an HDTV or a CRT?

I use to use my old CRT. The colors really pop out at you, and you can tell that was truly the intended way a Dreamcast game was suppose to look.

With my current HDTV setup, though the colors aren't as crisp, its still damn good enough. A page or so back, I posted a pic of me playing Sonic. Then add the fact I can view dreamcast games on a big screen TV and have it hooked up to my home theater stereo system (which is way better than PC speakers imo), it more than makes up for the very small sacrifice in color.

SKINNER!

Banned
Do ypu guys hook up the DC to an HDTV or a CRT?

I hook mine up to my old fullscreen CRT TV via RF cable and shit is ugly. Screen goes static-y whenever a bright white screen image is displayed etc. This thread convinced me to pick up a vga box and play it on a HDTV now.

Persona7

Banned
I think my DC needs a cleaning...I cycle between three of them currently though.

This weekend I will clean one of them and then play Tony Hawk 2 and House Of The Dead 2.

aoAamEE.gif

It sucks that not all games are compatible with VGA. Even with my "yellow" VGA cord, I could still tell that it looks a lot sharper than it did on my CRT with s-video. I hope I can get a VGA cable that works!

I think, this weekend, I'm going to move my CRT into the same room as my HDTV so that when/if I get a working VGA cable, I can just move the Dreamcast a few feet instead of shuttling it between two rooms (for Bangai-O and Gunbird 2).

It sucks that not all games are compatible with VGA.

I'm not exactly sure how you guys feel about burning games, but there are groups who have taken games that normally don't allow VGA mode and tweaked them to be VGA compatible from jump. I know one of them is Mortal Kombat gold. The group DCRES is known for during this.

Other groups modify games in order to make them run more efficiently compared to the original GD-ROMS. ReviveDC is known for doing this, as well as creating new custom case covers that look pretty good.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
evidence of OG. for reference, I was 12 in jan 2000. coolest 12 year old you didn't know.

missing 1,2 and 9. dunno where 9 coulda gone but I'm sure I have the issue somewhere. not sure where the sleeve to 6 is either.

Danny Dudekisser

I threw out my DC demo discs. I dunno if I regret it.

I think I'll regret it less once I finish my collection of actual full games.

oneida

bagh I found the old mags and they're all bent and creased terribly! drat.
found 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12

IrishNinja

i should show the shelf i built of em, got like 91-94 almost of EGM, about 60% of Gamefan complete, and i think all of Sega Visions, its just the DC ones im missing. a nearly full run of Next Generation, but sadly no one ever reads that, they just see Nintendo Power and go nostalgic.

oneida

DC magazine used suuuch nice paper, feels good on my fingers. also the issues were HUGE (size, not page count)

A bulk of my mags were from gen6. I think I have all the EGMs from GCN/Xbox launch up to May 2005 or thereabouts when the 360 was unveiled.

Can anyone reccomend a good vga to hdmi converter at all? Looking to play dreamcast on my HD tv. Just got a retrobit vga box I want to use as well. Hoping I can get decent quality out of the Dreamcast this way.

The Hanzo doesn't output to HDMI directly; rather, it's "just" an aftermarket DC VGA adapter (albeit a high quality one that also has the ability to do scanlines). It plugs into the AV port on the console and then the adapter itself has a female VGA connector and a set of female RCA audio connectors. So from the Hanzo you could either run a VGA cable and a stereo RCA audio cable directly to your TV (if your TV has VGA inputs), or you could run them through a VGA-to-HDMI adapter and then plug the HDMI cable into your TV.

The latter setup is what I've done. As mentioned in an earlier post, I eventually had luck with this one from Monoprice, though make sure you use high quality cables to avoid signal degradation.

[TL/DR:] The Hanzo VGA adapter doesn't do HDMI by itself, but when you use an HDMI adapter along with the Hanzo, the HDMI will carry both video and audio.

ahhhhhhhhhh I see what you mean. I was looking at the picture thinking the black cable was a HDMI output. Cheers for the clarification.

BIGWORM

evidence of OG. for reference, I was 12 in jan 2000. coolest 12 year old you didn't know.

missing 1,2 and 9. dunno where 9 coulda gone but I'm sure I have the issue somewhere. not sure where the sleeve to 6 is either.

Wow, ODCM discs. I remember buying those, ponying up the $9 and change for them. I think my favorite was the disc that had Virtua Tennis on it, followed closely by the disc that had Zombie Revenge on it.

BOOWITS!

Danny Dudekisser

Fun fact: Only Dreamcast game I've played in the last four years was another playthrough of Shenmue 1 a couple years back. I know, I'm lame :(

Well, until today. I played Crazy Taxi. That game just doesn't stop being good, no matter how much time passes. It's kinda like riding a bike in that, even though I haven't touched the game in half a decade, I still have my exact technique down. And I still love that soundtrack.

Teknoman

Fun fact: Only Dreamcast game I've played in the last four years was another playthrough of Shenmue 1 a couple years back. I know, I'm lame :(

Well, until today. I played Crazy Taxi. That game just doesn't stop being good, no matter how much time passes. It's kinda like riding a bike in that, even though I haven't touched the game in half a decade, I still have my exact technique down. And I still love that soundtrack.

"Yeah yeah yeah yeah YEAH!"

lol I can never get higher than a class c >_>

Danny Dudekisser

Really? I breezed my way to an S rank in my first go-round, though I only made it to like the $6000 mark.

Then again, I think my real life driving probably keeps my Crazy Taxi skills sharp. The cops call me Crazy Chac-sy.

Mzo

I find that most people who have trouble doing well in Crazy Taxi don't know about the Crazy Dash or the Limit Cut. You should be boosting consecutively on long straightaways.

Scullinator

Neo Member
Toy Commander was my most memorable Dreamcast game. Awesome battles in Multiplayer and a super creative single player campaign. Would love to see a port or a remake come to any current system.

on a side note: there is an awesome version of Crazy Taxi for android. It would be sweet to bring more Dreamcast games to Android.

Storm360

Discovered yesterday that my childhood dreamcast died.

Any hopes for resurrecting this thing? The laser went bad and it refuses to budge on reading discs.

goodcow

Any hopes for resurrecting this thing? The laser went bad and it refuses to budge on reading discs.

My drive died while playing PSO back in 2002 or so. At the time replacement drives were easy to find for $50 or so. I'm not handy at all, and even I was able to manage the swap. Try gutting a drive from another unit?

Danny Dudekisser

I actually prefer the JP version. The US version uses a different camera system that was supposed to be an improvement but I felt that it actually detracted from the game. The JP version uses lots of crazy camera angles, which a lot of people didn't like, but I feel it gives the game a more unique feel.

It probably would've been better with the Japanese angles. The US version had a behind the camera view that was waaaay too close to the character, and that felt really jerky every time you took a step forward. I remember starting to feel sick after a while.

Edit: I just replied to a post from more than a month ago. Sorry, I'm tired. I need some damn coffee.

I have a Dreamcast that stopped outputting video one day. Everything still powers up and the disc spins fine and everything, just no video/audio output. If you're in the states, you can have the laser out of it. Just PM me your address.

Top Bottom