• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yes, didn't they fullfill the remaining issues on subscribers with Next Generation magazine which was then cancelled and subscribers got PC Magazine or some such nonsense?

I certainly was not reimbursed in anyway.

or I was and didn't realize it because i was 12 and oblivious.

Storm360

My drive died while playing PSO back in 2002 or so. At the time replacement drives were easy to find for $50 or so. I'm not handy at all, and even I was able to manage the swap. Try gutting a drive from another unit?
May do, I have other dreamcasts about, but want to keep this one alive just for nostalgia. (It was also the first console I saved and bought myself!)

I have a Dreamcast that stopped outputting video one day. Everything still powers up and the disc spins fine and everything, just no video/audio output. If you're in the states, you can have the laser out of it. Just PM me your address.

Outside the states sadly (In the UK), I'll take a proper look at it later.

I sold the entire run of Dreamcast Magazine on eBay long ago. Probably around 2001/2002. I think I got around $35 for them? Probably bought cigarettes with that money. Wish I would've kept them.

Matesamo

I sold the entire run of Dreamcast Magazine on eBay long ago. Probably around 2001/2002. I think I got around $35 for them? Probably bought cigarettes with that money. Wish I would've kept them.

A complete set goes for around $70, I will probably grab one some day. It was the last console specific magazine that I really loved.

Storm360

Yeah, I have no idea what's wrong with this Dreamcast.

It won't even attempt to spin the disc, and the console seems go give alot of static out when I attempt to go to the disc menu.

Any advice?

Tain

VOOT system link is best done with the Xbox 360 version. It's based on 5.66, the gamepad works better, and all you need is some cat-5.

I could see wanting to do it with the DC version if you have some DC sticks though. 360 sticks sound better but probably go for a ton these days.

edit: I was reading page 15 and didn't even realize, lol. Go me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toy Commander was my most memorable Dreamcast game. Awesome battles in Multiplayer and a super creative single player campaign. Would love to see a port or a remake come to any current system.

Toy Commander was like the fifth game I bought for my DC, it was so great but man parts of it were difficult too. We used to play it four player all the time, it was awesome fun. Fur Fighters was another one I got my money's worth out of in multiplayer.

It was no less than impressive what PSO/v2 was able to accomplish over 56k. I had Earthlink as my ISP. =P

I wish ethernet adapters weren't so fucking expensive. I'd like to jump on PSO and see how many people are still playing. I'm sure there'd be people on as well if it were cheaper. Some third party needs to start making some cheap ones or something.

Ferr986

The EU Dreamcast only had 33.6k modems right? PSO over that was also a huge achievement, the delay between everyone was quite minimal too.

Yep, it was only 33.6k. And it was truly impressive how smooth PSO was with that modem. I also remember that game, Planet ring or something like that, that even had voice chat! (I didnt have the game but I remember a friend playing it a lot).

Yep, it was only 33.6k. And it was truly impressive how smooth PSO was with that modem. I also remember that game, Planet ring or something like that, that even had voice chat! (I didnt have the game but I remember a friend playing it a lot).

Planet Ring was amazing, a shame that they never released DLC mini games like they planned because the DC was put down.

BIGWORM

I don't remember voice chat on PSO/v2, only text. I bought a KB for that game, too. Sogood.gif. Alien Front Online had voice chat, though.

ILoveBish

So I had high hopes for reicast, but word on the street is that they are going to change the license for it and go after anyone using the code.

So I had high hopes for reicast, but word on the street is that they are going to change the license for it and go after anyone using the code.

Their emulator for android right now is really good, while buggy it's doing stuff I would have never expected from DC emulation on a tegra 3 (ouya)

So i'm guessing that they want to keep control of their code and such? doesn't that fall down to what software packages they are using and if any fall under fair use and all that shit?

ILoveBish

Their emulator for android right now is really good, while buggy it's doing stuff I would have never expected from DC emulation on a tegra 3 (ouya)

So i'm guessing that they want to keep control of their code and such? doesn't that fall down to what software packages they are using and if any fall under fair use and all that shit?

In not sure of the specifics, but a lot of devs are unhappy with the situation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

That's actually an interesting question, from a legal perspective (I can see everyone starting to snooze.) Generally, in copyright law, you're only able to protect the aspects of a work that have some sort of originality, but not the functional elements. So if you have a Dreamcast emulator, you could, for example, copyright the overall design of the emulator if you have something kinda frilly, but not the actual processes that run games. Ultimately, it would come down to what, specifically, these guys are trying to keep control of here. I have my doubts that they'd be able to copyright much in the first place.

But anyway, let's assume they have something they can copyright. The devs are trying to protect against people producing derivative works. We'd basically be under a Microstar v. Formgen analysis, and would likely find that use of the copyrighted work would not be protected by fair use. But a lot of this turns to the amount and substantiality of the work that the derivative author borrowed.

In short, I'm really bored and need to get out more.

Was Gundam Side story or any of the Godzilla games any good? Played the side story demo back in the day, but thats about it.

You need to play both Gundam games, the JP made one, DX and Side Story which is pretty good for its time. DX is a 3rd person and kinda similar to Dynasty Warriors Gundam, just more clunky and slower. But still a damn good game.

And I got a question for PSO ver.2, If I use a PAL disc, can I play my save file on any dreamcast? Cause I know the U.S version registers a serial number to a dreamcast, and you have to play it on that dreamcast.

What you could play online with the Dreamcast and have minimal lag was incredible:
*** Phantasy Star Online
*** Chu Chu Rocket
*** Alien Front Online
*** Outrigger
*** NFL 2K1/2K2
*** Quake
*** Speed Devils Online

I'm sure there's plenty more that I'm forgetting. I'm just recently really starting to realize how truly far ahead of it's time the Dreamcast was. This thing is coming up on 15 years old!

Teknoman

You need to play both Gundam games, the JP made one, DX and Side Story which is pretty good for its time. DX is a 3rd person and kinda similar to Dynasty Warriors Gundam, just more clunky and slower. But still a damn good game.

And I got a question for PSO ver.2, If I use a PAL disc, can I play my save file on any dreamcast? Cause I know the U.S version registers a serial number to a dreamcast, and you have to play it on that dreamcast.

Cool, thanks for the recommend.

I received my Tomee VGA cable replacement today (first one was defective) and just tried it out on Chu Chu Rocket and Mars Matrix.

Chu Chu Rocket looks LEAGUES better! I could not be happier. The difference on Mars Matrix wasn't as profound, but I was able to get further than I normally do, so it must make some difference. Truth be told, that game is so fast and intense that it's hard to really pay attention to anything but the area directly around your ship anyway.

I also tried Gunbird 2 and Bangai-O. Neither is compatible, but I thought it was cool that the Dreamcast gives you a message stating that the AV cable you're using is not compatible rather than just giving you a garbled title screen (like, say, the XBox on the Smilebit games).

I just need to get an adaptor/splitter so I can get some audio and I'll be all set! I would definitely recommend this cable for how cheap it is. I paid around $21 on Amazon and Newegg recently had them for $15, though they are currently out of stock.

Hope it's as good as I've always heard, pretty hyped to finally play it:

wNRewmu.jpg

Got it for $32. Well, technically HaL64 did. I'll probably pay him back eventually.

Ferr986

What you could play online with the Dreamcast and have minimal lag was incredible:
*** Phantasy Star Online
*** Chu Chu Rocket
*** Alien Front Online
*** Outrigger
*** NFL 2K1/2K2
*** Quake
*** Speed Devils Online

I'm sure there's plenty more that I'm forgetting. I'm just recently really starting to realize how truly far ahead of it's time the Dreamcast was. This thing is coming up on 15 years old!

Quake 3 too! You could even play it with KB+Mouse

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm actually kinda thinking about nabbing a Dreamcast mouse and keyboard and playing Outtrigger. Game looks rad, and I think the whole "WTF are u doin' bro" factor of using a KB+M on the Dreamcast would be neat.

I'm actually kinda thinking about nabbing a Dreamcast mouse and keyboard and playing Outtrigger. Game looks rad, and I think the whole "WTF are u doin' bro" factor of using a KB+M on the Dreamcast would be neat.

Haha that idea just makes me want to build a small form factor PC gaming rig in a Dreamcast shell. That would be fantastic.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
On first glance, I thought I was looking at the back of a tricked-out Dreamcast and my jaw was on the floor, lol.

SKINNER!

Banned
Alone in the Dark. That cover art is burned into my memory for life considering the number of times I've seen it on shelves back in the day.

Alone in the Dark. That cover art is burned into my memory for life considering the number of times I've seen it on shelves back in the day.

I actually have a preorder shirt for this (or maybe it's the gen7 reboot). It's a woman's cut and isn't very flattering. Also it;s a game shirt so I will never wear it.

Top Bottom