• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Jcgamer60

A user over at the Shenmue Dojo forums has modified his Sega Dreamcast to make it completely silent. He's using it with the GDEMU.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47330&p=1080074#p1080070

So I'm still waiting for the good news from Deunan and I got annoyed by the broken fan in the Dreamcast I have the GDEMU in. So I made some mods to get rid of it and went the extra mile to reduce the heat inside the console.

xsisopqr.jpg

I replaced the old PSU with a more efficent picoPSU that generates much less heat and hooks up to an external 12V power brick. To get rid of the fan I built a little rpm signal generator and to dissapate the heat better I stuck a little heatsink on the main plate with thermal grease. I admit it's not done very clean but it does work perfectly.
It's a completely silent Dreamcast now without any moving parts. \:D/

So the replacement Dreamcast I bought arrived today, but after three hours of play, it too has fried it's controller ports.

Sent a message to the seller, seriously unhappy about this.

Tain

My Dreamcast might be showing its first signs of a dying drive. Using Utopia to boot my Cosmic Smash (GD, not burned) is a little finicky as of the past few days. :/

It's been fine since 9/9/99, guess it had to happen someday! Hopefully it still has a bunch of life left before I crack it open.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'd like to region mod my Dreamcast rather than taking the boot disc route. who has done this and can point me in the right direction?

Gangxxter

So, I went to my local supermarket here in Austria today and by accident I went through the video games aisle.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a small TV sitting on a shelf there with a Dreamcast hooked up and Sonic Adventure idling on the screen!
They don't even sell Dreamcasts consoles, let alone games! The video games aisle in that supermarket is really small and they only sell a handful of Wii and 3DS games.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have played for a while.

NR1

4C9AB3DB-CBB4-4549-885D-AA6D085003E4.jpg

My latest DC pickups! Got them really cheap too! Hoping one day I will be able to fine Mars Matrix and Giga Wing 2 for a decent price CIB... :(

I only had enough money to buy the console when it came out. So I spent the first month playing the Sonic Adventure demo that came with it, haha! Bought Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure and a second controller shortly after that.

AirForce Delta is perhaps the game I played most, though. My 21" Sony TV had some sort of simulated "surround sound" so I would raise the volume and enjoy the music and action while playing on the hardest setting!

4C9AB3DB-CBB4-4549-885D-AA6D085003E4.jpg

My latest DC pickups! Got them really cheap too! Hoping one day I will be able to fine Mars Matrix and Giga Wing 2 for a decent price CIB... :(

I hooked up Gunbird 2 to my PVM the other day and it looked phenomenal. Dat 240p.

I have mentioned before in other threads that Psikyo games aren't typically my cup of tea, but I'm glad I gave Gunbird 2 another chance. How are you liking it?

nOoblet16

I've been meaning to buy a Dreamcast but the idea of playing seventh gen games on a 42 inch LCD makes me cringe, And I have no space in my home to put a CRT.

MCN

Banned
I've just modded a AAA battery holder into my Dreamcast to bypass the CR2032 CMOS battery. No more resetting the date and time for the forseeable future!

I've been meaning to buy a Dreamcast but the idea of playing seventh gen games on a 42 inch LCD makes me cringe, And I have no space in my home to put a CRT.

7th gen is PS3/360, lol. I think you mean 6th gen.

I've just modded a AAA battery holder into my Dreamcast to bypass the CR2032 CMOS battery. No more resetting the date and time for the forseeable future!

How interesting. Can you share more information or pics about this mod?

televator

You might be surprised... DC has a vastly cleaner picture than the PS2, has a generally crisp unfiltered look to the picture, and lot of games run at 60fps. As long as you have a VGA box and your TV doesn't fuck up the scaling, the DC still holds up. I have mine hooked up to my 50" plasma. No cringe, only glory.

BTW, when you think about it, the DC was designed to be usable on high res VGA monitors and look good doing so since 1999.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
does anyone know of a capture card or device that can take VGA in?
http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/usb-3-0-video-capture-device-hdmi-dvi-vga~USB3HDCAP
http://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/products/xcapture-1-usb-3-0-hd-capture-unit

Both of these devices are based on similar chipsets and have similar hardware requirements. They're USB 3.0, but they won't work with every USB 3.0 host controller out there, so do some research.

For internal options:

http://solarisjapan.com/collections...12n1-l-dvi-component-hd-and-dvi-capture-board (1080p60 max)
http://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...re-Card-1080p-HDMI-DVI-VGA-Component~PEXHDCAP (1080p30 / 720p60 max)

CrovaxPSO

Been a long time since I bought a Dreamcast game, but I was thinking about Sakura Wars V recently for some reason and remembered how much I liked it, so I decided to buy 1-4.

Bought all four from the same seller in the same auction, and was surprised to see that 2, 3, and 4 all came with all of the original inserts, spine cards, etc. Went ahead and found a listing for the first game with all of the inserts and bought that as well just to have all four games complete.

Now to dig out my Dreamcast...

baphomet

I've been stuck in the hospital for the past few days, and have been wanting to post this up.

My first "real" video I suppose.

Review for Dreamcast Controller to Naomi Adapter: http://youtu.be/7_qrcPZQPqo

This was mostly done to get feedback. My final videos should look and sound quite a bit better. I know I need to work on the audio quality, and also not sounding like I'm reading. Most of this was a single take though, so my next videos should be much better as far as that goes.

Any other comments or suggestions would be cool.

Peltz

I've been stuck in the hospital for the past few days, and have been wanting to post this up.

This was mostly done to get feedback. My final videos should look and sound quite a bit better. I know I need to work on the audio quality, and also not sounding like I'm reading. Most of this was a single take though, so my next videos should be much better as far as that goes.

Nice video bapho. Give yourself some more credit. You have a very good speaking voice. Just have a bit more fun with it and for the first few videos, rehearse your lines before shooting to make sure you feel comfortable so that your personality can shine through a bit more in a natural way.

You definitely cannot tell that was only your first video. Looks like you've been doing it for a while.

One thing: I didn't like the way transitions started blurry then focused in really slowly. It took too long and was hard on the eyes. Normal camera panning would be better.

Otherwise, I think everything was really great. I'd like to see more.

baphomet

Excellent, Ill definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully I should have some actual game focused stuff ready in the next few weeks. Got a few last things to finish up before I really get started on everything.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mzo

Nice video!

You sound like you're really far away when you're in front of the camera. You need a better mic solution there.

Also those lines are going to permanently mark your forehead if you keep scrunching your eyebrows for that long.

And lol what does In the Hunt have to do with anything? It is rad, though!

I've been playing quite a bit of Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram again lately. I bought it back when it came out in 2000...and I only just finally beat Tangram for the first time just a few minutes ago. It feels good to have finally done that! ...even if it was on the easiest difficulty. Hah. Still, it took me quite a few tries. I beat Tangram as Fei-Yen Kn, by the way.

Now I just need to beat Tangram again with everyone without losing a match to unlock everything...well, besides Ajim. I can never beat him when he randomly pops up, so I haven't unlocked him yet :/

I really enjoyed the video!

What's that BGM you used? It's from Rockman & Forte, right? Ahh it's killing me. Is it some kind of arrangement?

baphomet

Son of a bitch...

I told a good friend to email me a bunch of his tracks and I was going to try and pick out something original to use as an intro in my other videos. I honestly had no idea it was from rockman and forte. I just thought it was something cool he had come up with. I guess that explains the odd name of the track "rmfmuseum".

Well shit. Suppose I get to keep looking -_-

CrovaxPSO

Got my Dreamcast out to play Sakura Wars, but it makes a kind of grindy noise when, I think, the laser is moving to read the disc. It's been a long, long time since I've turned this console on, so I don't remember if it did that before. A quick search tells me that it seems to be a fairly common and harmless noise, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. It reads the game just fine, and it's quiet when it's not reading the disc. I just don't want to risk wearing something out if it's not normal.

Peltz

Got my Dreamcast out to play Sakura Wars, but it makes a kind of grindy noise when, I think, the laser is moving to read the disc. It's been a long, long time since I've turned this console on, so I don't remember if it did that before. A quick search tells me that it seems to be a fairly common and harmless noise, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. It reads the game just fine, and it's quiet when it's not reading the disc. I just don't want to risk wearing something out if it's not normal.

Sounds like normal DC noises. I wouldn't worry.

Damn, feel like shit for bothering you more with my mod request. Get well soon.

Anyway, for the video, I like how you kept it short. A problem I run into when looking for reviews/info is so many long ass videos that it is hard to get to the info I wanted in without watching the entire thing. The lack of one of those custom intros and you getting right into details about the item you were reviewing was nice. Same with the overall format, i.e., a short segment of you introducing what you are reviewing/where to get it followed immediately by showing off the product with a voice over explaining it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
According to Besarius, the new version of the Hanzo will be available for preorder towards the end of this week. It'll be based on the Toro.

I think I'm finally going to buy one of these sonbitches. I threw out my crappy knock-off VGA box last year, but never replaced it, so this will also mean I can finally play Dreamcast games again.

Dreamcast - Did You Know Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfTv0IvGYwU

Nice video.

Decent video, but it's got a couple of problems.

First, the guy repeats the old, and now completely disproven, rumor that that picture he claims is the 3DFX Dreamcast prototype is that. It's not, it's the Sega Pluto, a Saturn with a built-in Netlink. Look it up on Youtube. There is no picture of 3DFX's Dreamcast prototype. Who knows what it would have looked like.

Second... why does he keep calling the US/JP DC logo "red"? It's orange!

And last, while it is absolutely true that Sega gave a lot of support to Microsoft, actually Sega told its division that they could choose which platform to support, after going third-party in early 2001. Smilebit went to the Xbox, Sonic Team to the Gamecube, and some other Sega teams (Virtua Fighter, for instance) to the PS2. Overworks released games on GC and PS2. A few years later Sega started doing more multiplatform games, of course, but their Xbox support was only from certain divisions of Sega.

Otherwise, though, good video.

WorldStar

Banned
picked up a dreamcast and w/ 2 controllers

does gamestop still sell dreamcast games?

looking for grandia 2, skies of arcadia, shenmue, crazy taxi, etc.

Top Bottom