• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Blah just how does one go about replacing a game insert by printing it? I can't seem to get the size right.

Chucker

I'm picking up a dreamcast soon since my original one was passed around among friends and now nobody knows where it is.
That said, where is a good place to get a VGA box/cable from?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm picking up a dreamcast soon since my original one was passed around among friends and now nobody knows where it is.
That said, where is a good place to get a VGA box/cable from?
I got mine from eBay and thankfully it wasn't as expensive as the time I bought the GameCube Component Cable (That was the most expensive cable I have ever bought) and just an FYI if your TV lacks a VGA port or the way it displays VGA sucks and assuming you have Component ports than I suggest you get the Audio Authority 9A60A VGA to Component Converter.

Peltz

I got mine from eBay and thankfully it wasn't as expensive as the time I bought the GameCube Component Cable (That was the most expensive cable I have ever bought) and just an FYI if your TV lacks a VGA port or the way it displays VGA sucks and assuming you have Component ports than I suggest you get the Audio Authority 9A60A VGA to Component Converter.

Interesting. What's the input lag on that transcoder?

Chucker

Dreamcast came in today.
hjLEGsOl.jpg

3fyhxvUl.jpg

Super stoked, except it didn't have ANY A/V cables, so now it's just a paperweight until I get a VGA box. Also, the Sakura Taisen VMU was missing a screw.

That said, anybody know of a place to get either a replacement screw, or a very similar sized one to use?

Man this thread is great just glanced through it. You guys made me plug back in my DC and see if any people still play on the private PSO ver.2 servers and too my surprise there were. But I think they may be hackers considering they are level 122. lol.

KyleCross

So has Dreamcast emulation pretty much hit its limit and won't improve anymore? I checked and it appears that Shenmue still has graphical errors (glitchy hair, transparency issues) after all these years?

Soon be time for my annual Shenmue playthrough, starting on the 29th.

Coincidentally, this years calendar is exactly the same as the 1986 calendar. :D

Lettuce

Just a heads up, the GDEMU device now has the folder cap removed so we can now have 9999 folders on an SD card.....wonder if my 128GB SD card is big enough to store the whole DC catalog on

clem84

Gold Member
Dreamcast came in today.
hjLEGsOl.jpg

3fyhxvUl.jpg

Super stoked, except it didn't have ANY A/V cables, so now it's just a paperweight until I get a VGA box. Also, the Sakura Taisen VMU was missing a screw.

That said, anybody know of a place to get either a replacement screw, or a very similar sized one to use?

Gorgeous! I was tempted to pick this one up a while back but didn't have the money for it.

clem84

Gold Member
Still waiting for my LE Pier Solar for DC! That thing had an original release date of January 2014 IIRC. No biggy, as long as the DC version is perfect when it comes out.

Chucker

From another, crappier VMU?

I'll keep an eye out at the flea markets for you.

Yeah, I'm going to a local store that will probably charge an arm and leg for a VGA cable, but probably has a bunch of junk VMUs. Didn't think of that.

Dreamcast came in today.
hjLEGsOl.jpg

3fyhxvUl.jpg

You got this for free, right? Lucky!

Peltz

The different colored Dreamcasts somehow make me feel even more nostalgic even though I've only owned the OG color. It reminds me of when the DC was still new and new stuff was still coming out for it.

Those colors are cool <3. That's probably one of the only pink systems I'd ever own. It's like a super-manly pink.

So has Dreamcast emulation pretty much hit its limit and won't improve anymore? I checked and it appears that Shenmue still has graphical errors (glitchy hair, transparency issues) after all these years?

The Android emulator, Reicast, is rather good but has a long way to go still.

It was suppose to have a big update months ago but it's still stuck on revision 6, so no time frame as to when it will improve.

The Android emulator, Reicast, is rather good but has a long way to go still.

It was suppose to have a big update months ago but it's still stuck on revision 6, so no time frame as to when it will improve.

Theres not yet a big update, but their GIT is on fire, there are 3 devs on it and alot of versions get build in a day. Its like ppsspp or pcsx2, everyday theres a new build.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Interesting. What's the input lag on that transcoder?
I haven't completely tested it myself due to time constraints but it's the one I was reccomanded over at the Upscalers, CRT's, PVM's & RGB: Retro gaming done right! Topic

My tv does VGA just fine. There are a lot of different types, of varying prices on eBay. Is one better than the other?
Most people buy the VGA Box but I prefer the official one myself but be ready to pay $120+ for that one although there's an auction going on right for one if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181590255358?redirect=mobile

Ban Puncher

yeaaaaah, it's not for you then

even though the xbox version is the worst version

I'll still give it a go, perhaps the Japanese language track of the PAL version will make up for the awful English dub and get me to overlook some of the other shortcomings of the game.

Worst case scenario, at least I can play Out Run and Space Harrier.

Cynn

God, the Dreamcast was such a beautiful console to look at. The design really was just about perfect.

This is so true. I have six Dreamcasts. (Sega hoarder) Two are standard shells. One is Sega Sports Black, one is clear blue, another is smoke black and the last is chromed.

The DC has a very compact and powerful look to it.

Top Bottom