• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

KageMaru

Dreamcast - Did You Know Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfTv0IvGYwU

Nice video.

I remember how cool all the rumors and development was leading up to the launch of the system. It's sad how the company got its act together but in the end it was too late.

picked up a dreamcast and w/ 2 controllers

does gamestop still sell dreamcast games?

looking for grandia 2, skies of arcadia, shenmue, crazy taxi, etc.

Best bet are mom and pop shops that sell classic games or Amazon.

Was able to snag a good condition Dreamcast yesterday with Grandia 2 (in original case w/ soundtrack) and Toy Commander for ~$50. Is that a good deal? Also i'm on the look out for some good games to buy for it and would like to know some good platformer, racing, and rpg's the system has.

I already plan on finding Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1/2, and Crazy Taxi.

Teknoman

Son of a bitch...

I told a good friend to email me a bunch of his tracks and I was going to try and pick out something original to use as an intro in my other videos. I honestly had no idea it was from rockman and forte. I just thought it was something cool he had come up with. I guess that explains the odd name of the track "rmfmuseum".

Well shit. Suppose I get to keep looking -_-

Well its not a bad track :p I guess you just dont want google ninja silencing your video or something?

UMGAWA

According to Besarius, the new version of the Hanzo will be available for preorder towards the end of this week. It'll be based on the Toro.

I think I'm finally going to buy one of these sonbitches. I threw out my crappy knock-off VGA box last year, but never replaced it, so this will also mean I can finally play Dreamcast games again.

Oh man, that's awesome news!

Yep, rocking the ebay knock off here, it throws some weird ghosting on my monitor, it drives me up the wall so i'll be pre-ordering too!

According to Besarius, the new version of the Hanzo will be available for preorder towards the end of this week. It'll be based on the Toro.

I think I'm finally going to buy one of these sonbitches. I threw out my crappy knock-off VGA box last year, but never replaced it, so this will also mean I can finally play Dreamcast games again.
Where should we be checking to buy one?

Cheddahz

Banned
I recently got a Dreamcast (it actually showed up today) and I have it all hooked up and what not, but I decided to put Shenmue in there and it's not reading any of the game discs (it is reading the Passport disc however and CDs I've tested the console with). Could the laser not be reading game discs or is it just the fact that the game discs are too scratched up?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I recently got a Dreamcast (it actually showed up today) and I have it all hooked up and what not, but I decided to put Shenmue in there and it's not reading any of the game discs (it is reading the Passport disc however and CDs I've tested the console with). Could the laser not be reading game discs or is it just the fact that the game discs are too scratched up?

Sounds like the game discs. The Passport Disc is a GD-ROM, so I'm pretty sure if your system can read that, it should be able to handle anything else, too.

In any case though, Cheddahz, how on earth did have you never owned a Dreamcast? There's so much good shit for you to play on that thing, and fortunately, it's still relatively inexpensive for most stuff.

IrishNinja

^ehh the capcom stuff has been shooting up though sadly, few others but yeah its way cheaper than say saturn

and yeah cheddarz how bad are those discs? have you cleaned up them up any? in my experience one of the DC's few flaws is that it's quite picky about scratched discs vs other systems of the time, so yeah it could totally be that...chac is right if you can boot the passport it shouldnt be the laser, i wanna say. any other games you can try?

Cheddahz

Banned
In any case though, Cheddahz, how on earth did have you never owned a Dreamcast? There's so much good shit for you to play on that thing, and fortunately, it's still relatively inexpensive for most stuff.
Honestly, I don't know how (and it's weird that we didn't have a Dreamcast in my house whenever it came out, since we had a Saturn). Oh well, I guess I'll make up for the fifteen or so years I've missed of playing one

and yeah cheddarz how bad are those discs? have you cleaned up them up any? in my experience one of the DC's few flaws is that it's quite picky about scratched discs vs other systems of the time, so yeah it could totally be that...chac is right if you can boot the passport it shouldnt be the laser, i wanna say. any other games you can try?
There were a few scratches on the discs (didn't look like anything major), so I might just try cleaning them before I issue a return (any good ways on how to clean a disc, it's been a while since I've had to clean one) and sadly, I can't find my copy of Sonic Adventure right now and Power Stone hasn't shown up yet, so don't have anything else to test out

Danny Dudekisser

New version of the Hanzo will be available the first week of February, and you can preorder now from the dude's site.

Guess that was a pretty quick update.

Obligatory "I love my Toro, so consider buying a VGA adapter from Beharius" post.

Also, Stone Age Gamer apparently has USB adapter boards on the way from Mnemo. Can't wait to place an order.

Gunsmithx

Obligatory "I love my Toro, so consider buying a VGA adapter from Beharius" post.

Also, Stone Age Gamer apparently has USB adapter boards on the way from Mnemo. Can't wait to place an order.

Reminds me I need to order up a toro finally, what changes did he make to the hanzo? Might also pick up a usb board too

WorldStar

Banned
brahs, what are the best multiplayer dreamcast games in your opinion?

gonna pick up power stone and power stone 2 this weekend

power stone 2 aint cheap but i need it

Cheddahz

Banned
so this game showed up just now (and yes, it works, so i just need to clean my shenmue discs...though i don't mind listening to the passport songs forever)

B7frkIICQAAFTWr.jpg

Been on a Street Fighter binge since V's announcement and ended up buying this at a place near me. I have the PS2 Anniversary Collection, but a) It's scratched and doesn't play correctly and b) I can't be arsed to hook the PS2 back up anyway despite the PS2 controller being a better option for 3S than a DC controller (Are Saturn controller adapters for DC a thing? I might have to look into that if so.)

Didn't know until looking through the thread that the DC version of 3S has a (hidden) option to play in it's original resolution w/ scanlines, either. It looks pretty nice, even through S-Video.

Danny Dudekisser

Been on a Street Fighter binge since V's announcement and ended up buying this at a place near me. I have the PS2 Anniversary Collection, but a) It's scratched and doesn't play correctly and b) I can't be arsed to hook the PS2 back up anyway despite the PS2 controller being a better option for 3S than a DC controller (Are Saturn controller adapters for DC a thing? I might have to look into that if so.)

Didn't know until looking through the thread that the DC version of 3S has a (hidden) option to play in it's original resolution w/ scanlines, either. It looks pretty nice, even through S-Video.

Original rez mode? Daaaamn, I didn't know about that.

So does that make the DC version the best version of 3s, or is it still the XBLA version?

Yeah look for the total control 3 if you want to use a saturn controller. Even supports the twinstick.

On the technical level, the PS2 and Xbox versions are more desirable than the DC version tho. Apparently DC ver has input lag and is based on the B version of the arcade which most fans didn't like as much.

Yeah, just hold Start and Y after turning it on until the Capcom logo pops up. It'll save to the memory card after that. Looks way better on a CRT TV than the standard 480i (which also has filters, I think).

Holding Start and X instead will switch back to the default 480 output.

So does that make the DC version the best version of 3s, or is it still the XBLA version?

Dunno. IIRC, the DC version has some niggling inconsistencies in regards to timing for parries, and some combos that worked in the original arcade version flat out don't work in the DC version. (Though if you're playing casually, none of the above is really much of an issue) The PS2/Xbox ports along with Online Edition are the better ports, most likely.

But I wanted a working physical version to play, and the place I got it from had this, but not Anniversary Collection for PS2/Xbox.

Yeah look for the total control 3 if you want to use a saturn controller. Even supports the twinstick.

Nice. Definitely going to look into investing in one, assuming they aren't stupid expensive.

Yeah, just hold Start and Y after turning it on until the Capcom logo pops up. It'll save to the memory card after that. Looks way better on a CRT TV than the standard 480i (which also has filters, I think).

Holding Start and X instead will switch back to the default 480 output.

I read that there were three filters:
- 240p w/scanlines (Start + L on boot until Capcom logo)
- 240p w/ scanlines, anti-flicker & sprite filter (Start + Y on boot until Capcom logo)
- 480i no scanlines, w/ anti-flicker & sprite filter (Default mode for the game; Otherwise Start + L on boot until Capcom logo)

The top option is the one I've been using.

Ah, I see. I did it like a year or two ago, so I just looked it up quickly on GameFAQs. I don't remember which I used.

I can't really check which I used now, since my wonderful CRT TV stopped working three hours ago. :(

Fess

Is Power Stone (1) known to be problematic with disc errors?or is my beautiful launch DC about to die on me? :(
I just bought it new and sealed but can't get it to start, I hear the drive work/spin but after a little while I'm back at the home meny. I'm starting to get worried :(

Is Power Stone (1) known to be problematic with disc errors?or is my beautiful launch DC about to die on me? :(
I just bought it new and sealed but can't get it to start, I hear the drive work/spin but after a little while I'm back at the home meny. I'm starting to get worried :(

The only games I have ever had bootup issues with are the SA2 trial disc which came with PSO and the odd failed to read disc error out of nowhere which fixes itself.

Last year I took my DC apart, cleaned everything I could following a guide and made sure the lid closed switch was working correctly, since then my DC has booted everything fine... apart from the SA2 trial disc.

Something about that GD rom just doesn't like to boot but it's a demo disc and most likely printed a different way.

The laser probably needs recalibration. My Sonic Adventure 2 disc recently stopped working as well, I've just been too lazy to open it up to recalibrate it myself.

I remember that a few batches of DC launch titles actually did have issues booting up, even at launch, but I don't think Power Stone was one of the games affected (IIRC, Sonic Adventure, Hydro Thunder and Ready 2 Rumble were the affected titles)

Fess

The laser probably needs recalibration. My Sonic Adventure 2 disc recently stopped working as well, I've just been too lazy to open it up to recalibrate it myself.

I remember that a few batches of DC launch titles actually did have issues booting up, even at launch, but I don't think Power Stone was one of the games affected (IIRC, Sonic Adventure, Hydro Thunder and Ready 2 Rumble were the affected titles)
Sigh :/ I hoped it was the game that was the problem. I looked at a calibration guide, seems a bit risky but it's cheaper than buying a new console, which might already have the same problem or might get it sooner or later. It's strange though, I've never had any problem with the console until now. But I really really want to play Power Stone, it's one of my all time favorites, beat it 100% back in the days, VMU games and all. Awesome game! (Nintendo should rip that idea btw, have smaller unlockable games played on the Gamepad to unlock more stuff)

Sigh :/ I hoped it was the game that was the problem. I looked at a calibration guide, seems a bit risky but it's cheaper than buying a new console, which might already have the same problem or might get it sooner or later. It's strange though, I've never had any problem with the console until now. But I really really want to play Power Stone, it's one of my all time favorites, beat it 100% back in the days, VMU games and all. Awesome game! (Nintendo should rip that idea btw, have smaller unlockable games played on the Gamepad to unlock more stuff)

It sucks, but it's the unfortunate reality of owning a Dreamcast. The laser is eventually going to start wearing down. 16 years without issue (especially for a launch model!) is pretty damned good though, I'll say. There are some great guides on Youtube on how to properly open it up and recalibrate the laser, though. I was even able to do it a couple of years back, and I have little experience messing with consoles on that level.

And yeah, Power Stone is amazing. My only issue is the lack of a 4-player mode. 2 has one, but at the expense of making just about everything else unnecessarily hectic. It's a shame Capcom hasn't done anything with the series outside of the PSP ports, it'd make for an amazing online game.

Fess

It sucks, but it's the unfortunate reality of owning a Dreamcast. The laser is eventually going to start wearing down. 16 years without issue (especially for a launch model!) is pretty damned good though, I'll say. There are some great guides on Youtube on how to properly open it up and recalibrate the laser, though. I was even able to do it a couple of years back, and I have little experience messing with consoles on that level.

And yeah, Power Stone is amazing. My only issue is the lack of a 4-player mode. 2 has one, but at the expense of making just about everything else unnecessarily hectic. It's a shame Capcom hasn't done anything with the series outside of the PSP ports, it'd make for an amazing online game.
Thanks, I'll look into those guides some more.
I actually like Power Stone 1 more than 2 for that reason, I think 2 is far too chaotic and random, it's like they tried to make their own Smash Bros.

Danny Dudekisser

So, I was curious about 2 import games: Super Puzzle Fighter II X and Guilty Gear X.

Is there any reason to buy the Dreamcast versions of these games? I can't remember if Puzzle Fighter on Dreamcast was the best version of the game, or what the differences were from the Saturn release.

With Guilty Gear... I've always loved the series, but don't remember if GGX was different enough from XX to justify owning both.

Mzo

Super Puzzle Fighter II X for Matching Service was the first version to have the three modes ( X, Y, and Z) and online play, but the HD re-release has all that plus the X' remix.

So really you only get it if it's cheap because the DC is cool.

Bancho

3rd strike looks glorious in 240p mode on the DC. I didn't even know you could activate different output modes via button combinations.

Its a stunning looking game anyways but looks sooo nice in 240p mode.

IMG_56122.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

With regards to Guilty Gear X, there's not much of a reason to get it with GGXX readily available most other places, though the Dreamcast version does have the novelty of using the MIDI based arcade soundtrack instead of the live instrument soundtrack that the PS2 port and every other subsequent update of the game use.

If you can get it cheap, go for it. The game looks and plays great to this day anyway.

Edit: I believe the DC version came with a mini soundtrack CD, too.

BTails

I've jumped into the Dreamcast camp! I just ordered a Dreamcast off eBay: it's a Made in Japan model with a 0 in the circle, which I've heard are the most reliable models. Comes with two OEM controllers and an OEM VMU, plus Baseball 2K1.

My TV doesn't have VGA in, but I have a Framemeister, so is the Toro box the best bet? It looks like it allows 480p mode over Euro Scart, which is what I use in my setup.

Also anything I need to know as someone who's never owned a Dreamcast? I seem to recall reading something once about not plugging in/unplugging controllers while the console's on.

UMGAWA

I seem to recall reading something once about not plugging in/unplugging controllers while the console's on.

Thats correct, it fizzes out a resistor on the controller port board, it's fixable but to save the hassle, so yes, it's best not to.

sarcoa

Someone on eBay is auctioning off repro's of canceled Dreamcast games. Font size is off on the spines, but they look pretty good.

1lfDi7J.jpg

pZ2QQjK.jpg

1v3M5zc.jpg

Po8UXLT.jpg

I've been wondering where these all came from. The discs are probably cdr's, but the packaging is harder to figure out. I searched and around and found most of the front and back art sourced in these images, but nothing for disc art or a potential manual. I've seen these exact repros elsewhere over the last few years, leading me to believe someone, at some point, made a ton and then sold them all off. Did that ever happen? Or are people just using high quality front/back prints of available artwork?

Top Bottom