• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

Now that I have Fighting Vipers 1 for Saturn I will try to do some playthroughs of the 2nd game(which I got last year), and I still remember your suggestion sixteen-bit about that cyclist.

Tain

In all the hubbub I busted out Shenmue and... my Dreamcast didn't boot it! I know the GD-Rom drives have a tendency to crap out, but I went online and tried messing with the potentiometer and got it reading again.

Does this mean it's definitely on the fast way out? Or can I be optimistic and expect some more years out of this thing?

BTails

I'd be all over a Shenmue playthrough! I should probably pick up number 2 before it gets too expensive as well. I'll probably just get the Xbox version for ease of use/buying (don't be mad!)

kunonabi

I'd be all over a Shenmue playthrough! I should probably pick up number 2 before it gets too expensive as well. I'll probably just get the Xbox version for ease of use/buying (don't be mad!)

yeah I'm thinking of biting on another copy of Shenmue II myself. My disc 4 has no music and it really bugs me.

Shaneus

The exact reason I just came to this thread :) The excitement is real.
Hah, I was going to say this thread is about to blow up. I'm even contemplating dropping some serious cash on one of the USB/SD GD-ROM replacements so I can avoid the numerous unreadable discs I have.

ZhugeEX

Banned
For those of you interested.

Top 5 selling Sega Dreamcast games in the USA
Sonic Adventure
NFL 2K
CRAZY TAXI
NFL 2K1
NBA 2K1

Sonic Adventure was the only title to sell more than 1 million units.

Top 5 selling Sega Dreamcast games in Japan
Sonic Adventure
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Seaman: Kindan no Pet
Sega Rally 2
Shenmue

Sonic Adventure was the only title to reach 500k.

So I've got a lot of ghosting on the Dreamcast VGA cable I'm using these days - is that most likely because it's a direct connection? I had a third-party VGA box that I wasn't too happy with, so I tried the cable and...eh. Fired up a new game of Shenmue last night and it had some pretty bad spots.

I am connecting it to the VGA input of a Samsung LCD TV, so that may have something to do with it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So going to play Shenmue for the first time sometime soon! How do I get the PAL copies running on my US Dreamcast?
kKGgfC9l.jpg

ss_lemonade

If I were to get a component to vga cable, will this allow me to get vga/480p quality with my tv? I might look for a cheap dreamcast just to replay Shenmue and I have a Sony w900a but that doesn't come with vga inputs so I'm not sure what the best output option will be

woodypop

Gaf, what's your favorite DC game that hasn't been ported to other systems?
Hard mode: game itself is not a port from arcade.
Hmm...this is kinda hard.

Not ported to other systems: Toss up between Tech Romancer and Project Justice
Not a port from arcade: Phantasy Star Online
Both not ported to other systems AND not a port from arcade: Seaman, I guess?

Hmm...this is kinda hard.

Not ported to other systems: Toss up between Tech Romancer and Project Justice
Not a port from arcade: Phantasy Star Online
Both not ported to other systems AND not a port from arcade: Seaman, I guess?

Seaman was ported to PS2

I told you it was hard mode

Since the OP is out of date, what's the best option for DC emulation atm? All the hub bub about Shenmue I think I need to finally get around to playing them.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Since the OP is out of date, what's the best option for DC emulation atm? All the hub bub about Shenmue I think I need to finally get around to playing them.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but emulation as a substitute to purchasing a game will always rub me the wrong way.

Unless you already own Shenmue and that's not what you were suggesting at all

Thaedolus

So is there any fool-proof method to rezzing a GDROM drive? I have both a working Dreamcast and a non-working Dreamcast. The non-working one could read boot discs, which allow me to play imports (like Shenmue II). The working one is reliable for USA games and playing the first game is all bueno, but it doesn't read the boot disc.

Years ago I adjusted the little screw on the back of the drive before and gotten it to read discs somewhat unreliably, but enough to get by, but after pulling it out last night I can't seem to get it to load anything. Kind of bummer. I have an Xbox copy of Shenmue II as well but no Xbox at the moment.

Regardless, I had to pull out the old CRT and (working) Dreamcast last night just for nostalgia's sake. Goddamn Shenmue has bad voice acting

KC-Slater

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but emulation as a substitute to purchasing a game will always rub me the wrong way.

Unless you already own Shenmue and that's not what you were suggesting at all

You are being old fashioned. I don't think there is anything wrong with consuming a 15-year old piece of media that is no longer available commercially from the original or current rights holder (or other legitimate means) but that's just me.

petran79

Banned

A lot of Arcade games ported to Dreamcast can also be emulated from the original hardware, eg the NAOMI games.

the best options are Dreamcast emulators like Demul and NullDC that emulate Naomi arcade hardware as well

But I do not like their interface that much and they appear to have higher hardware requirements than PCSX2 emulator

Eg to run games like MvC2 or CvsSNK2 at full speed (60 fps), you'll need a 3.5 Ghz processor at least.
Demul had a 64-bit version too that would solve this issue, but they release only 32-bit version.

Hence why I prefer playing those games on the original hardware. Consumes less watts too!

Koren

You can use emulation with bought games, too, as a replacement of the original hardware (because Dreamcast are unfortunately dying quite fast :/ )

I wish I had a good solution to preserve my DC games... I still love to play Sakura Taisen games, for example, and several are DC exclusives (beside, the cross-game saves and the VMU make ST3 DC interesting even compared to the PS2 remaster), and my Dreamcast won't live forever :/

I'm reluctant to buy a broadband adapter, though, at the usual prices. I've dreamed about Sega releasing a GD-Rom reader for PC with emulation software.

petran79

Banned
You can use emulation with bought games, too, as a replacement of the original hardware (because Dreamcast are unfortunately dying quite fast :/ )

I wish I had a good solution to preserve my DC games... I still love to play Sakura Taisen games, for example, and several are DC exclusives (beside, the cross-game saves and the VMU make ST3 DC interesting even compared to the PS2 remaster), and my Dreamcast won't live forever :/

I'm reluctant to buy a broadband adapter, though, at the usual prices. I've dreamed about Sega releasing a GD-Rom reader for PC with emulation software.

I too avoid long gaming sessions. Most are usually from 30 minutes to 2 hours the most.
I also prefer using clean CD-ROM discs burned at low speeds. A lot of the GD-ROM games have scratches and this does not help the lens

Koren

I too avoid long gaming sessions. Most are usually from 30 minutes to 2 hours the most.
I also prefer using clean CD-ROM discs burned at low speeds. A lot of the GD-ROM games have scratches and this does not help the lens
I haven't put any CDR in my DC, and I've been cautious with my GDs, and it's the only console I've opened from time to time to clean the inside... I hope it'll help my Dreamcast live longer (but I've already had to bend the power connector to solve the reset issue).

I really see emulation as a way to replace broken hardware a couple dozen years after the end...

I suppose I'd say Sakura Taisen 4 (not sure it's my favorite ST game, but it's the only one that's a DC exclusive, others have been either on Saturn, PS2 and/or Wii).

I'm hugely fond of Metropolis Street Racer, too... I've been close to buy an XBox (then a 360) just because of Project Gotham Racing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a good PC emulator that has compatible save games with the android emulator? Would be good to be able to play both on the go and at home if possible.

And does Shenmue II still have issues with Reicast on Android? If so maybe I'll just stick with PC emulation

edit: would nullDC run ok on a baytrail atom based windows tablet?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You also miss the save transfer feature for the second game which is a big boost on teh DC version.

lol hardly considering
you lose all your cash in the first five minutes
and effectively none of your decisions in S1 play a role in S2

Hmm... that is a tough one, particularly not including arcade ports. Right now I"m thinking that 4 Wheel Thunder would be my answer.

Other games that would be on my list include Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, Napple Tale, Toy Commander, Sturmwind, Rune Jade, and Red Dog. The next tier would have Blue Stinger, Armada, D2, Time Stalkers, and others.

Top Bottom