• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

petran79

Banned
bids for best looking dreamcast game?

you will not find those details anywhere else!

dc-1392-11323494805.jpg

Shaneus

Le Mans 24h also needs to be mentioned; night-day cycle, weather, 60fps, everything.
The driving games (at least, the ones I played) I recall all looked great. F355 was amazing too, but the night driving in Le Mans was insane, not to mention the disc brakes glowing, tyre tracks in the grass and everything else about it. Love that game.

MSR is still pretty good looking too.

Nikodemos

It seems my DC has started to show symptoms of the reset bug.

I remember there being a fix for this, but there was also a difference between console versions. Something about PAL and NTSC; my own DC is PAL (blue swirl).

petran79

Banned
It seems my DC has started to show symptoms of the reset bug.

I remember there being a fix for this, but there was also a difference between console versions. Something about PAL and NTSC; my own DC is PAL (blue swirl).

Non-Japanese versions seem to have the issue.

The pins have both to make contact but also be in the correct height. Or else even soldering and cleaning will not correct this. Problems repappears. Due to closing/opening the lid, disc spinning, generating heat or moving the console, daughterboards tends to lower in height, reducing the pin contact. Problem is that there are no screws on the lower right side of the daughterboard to keep a balance. Bottom right part has no stand.
I had to adjust this almost every week.

Since summer I put a small paper clip below the daughterboard on bottom right to keep the balance. Now I have to adjust the console once a month.

It also depends on the game. Power Stone 2 and some stages of Capcom vs SNK 2 tend to overheat the console faster, causing the reset.

Shaneus

I had that same problem too. My fix? The end of a toothpick in each pin so that it holds the contacts together. Never had the problem since then.

Spades

I really do love the Dreamcast.

Recently I grabbed a few of my favourite console boxes (all originals, owned by me from launch period) to display on top of my shelves and the Dreamcast one is still the most sleek looking.

NUiVvhr.jpg

Of course, the instruction manuals and all inserts were still sealed inside, so I flicked through them today. Filled me with the same excitement as if I'd just bought a brand new Dreamcast!

Rambler

I was trying to get my brother into fighting games, so I sat down with him and we played various games on various systems.

For some insane reason the only one that he really liked was Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle. It's a fun game so I never really questioned his choice but man I wish it had a better port :|

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was trying to get my brother into fighting games, so I sat down with him and we played various games on various systems.

For some insane reason the only one that he really liked was Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle. It's a fun game so I never really questioned his choice but man I wish it had a better port :|
I still play it even if I grumble about the port. the game itself is so fun.

Rambler

I like it because it feels more '3D' than other 3d fighting games, outside of something like Gundam or Virtual On I guess.

sarcoa

Slightly off topic but if you want to talk about better ports, go down the insane rabbit hole of two differentl and allegedly incredibly impressive Saturn iterations of VF3 straight from AM2. Despite zero evidencene quite a few people out there swear up and down they're real, somewhere.

petran79

Banned

Reminds me of the SC1 sessions with my brother some years ago. Even today he beats me there more times than I do. Though in 2D fighters he struggles.

I was a huge Nintendo fan boy
(was??)
and something about the Dreamcast just made me want it. I got my first summer job in high school just to buy it day one. It was my first midnight release console, hell the first system I bought for myself and I loved it. I wish I knew about the disc spinning though. Mine went out because of that. Probably one of my favorite systems of all time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Slightly off topic but if you want to talk about better ports, go down the insane rabbit hole of two differentl and allegedly incredibly impressive Saturn iterations of VF3 straight from AM2. Despite zero evidencene quite a few people out there swear up and down they're real, somewhere.

I am skeptical

KC-Slater

I recall reading about this; Yu Suzuki/AM2 apparently worked on the Saturn port in competition with Genki who developed the Dreamcast port. It sounded like early-Apple Computers levels of teams pitted against each other internally. Pretty interesting...

That looks amazing. I wonder if you can use a Magic Eraser to get the Sega Sports logo off of the SSDC....

You can.

Just be aware that Magic Eraser is essentially a very fine sandpaper. You will wear away the texture on the lid of the Dreamcast and it will appear glossy over the space where the logo was instead of matte like the rest of the system.

I recently hooked my DC back up to play through my bullet hells I have for it, I went on an nostalgia overload for a day. It was sublime.

And today, I learned of that Under Defeat game...never heard of it before, but MAN it looks fantastic. This is something I definitely need to have in my collection.

Yeah, Under Defeat is incredible. Big fan. I double-dipped when it came out on PS3 as well.

I don't like how the DC game comes in a DVD style case tho, lol.

sarcoa

I recall reading about this; Yu Suzuki/AM2 apparently worked on the Saturn port in competition with Genki who developed the Dreamcast port. It sounded like early-Apple Computers levels of teams pitted against each other internally. Pretty interesting...
Every time those exact Saturn VF3 screens come up someone always rushes to say they're actually from a bad model 3 emulator. Today I am that guy.

Someday when I have more time I'm going to collect all of the Saturn VF3 minutia from the Assembler forums along with all of the random internet speculation and fit it into a single, comprehensible post in the gaming forum. Gaf's huge, someone has to have concrete info on this.

KC-Slater

Every time those exact Saturn VF3 screens come up someone always rushes to say they're actually from a bad model 3 emulator. Today I am that guy.

Fair enough re: the images being emulator shots. I don't doubt the fact that there was a VF3 port in development for Saturn. The extent to which it was completed is debatable, however.

While we're taking this nostalgic trip down Sega memory lane, check this out.

Think there is a way to fix that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=899984

Gonna try it soon on the Broadband adapter I bought a while back...which I wanted to ask, any games I can still play online with it (like PSO, which I know there are private servers, though I don't know if they're active)? I've only used it so far to mess with JSR tags.
I played PSO over dialup a couple months ago. It's mostly pc and cube players. I didn't see any DC players. I think quake has some servers up.

Top Bottom