• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Theonik

Would there be a way to mod a Dreamcast for component?
I don't think the output chip can do component so there are no mods for it. VGA looks much better however anyway but if you are intending to use a CRT TV that's not usually an option.

You can do RGB which is the next best option but no progressive scan, S-Video or use a VGA to component active converter (pricey and not recommended)

What I use for my Dreamcast now is the VGA on a PC CRT display. Looks pretty fantastic.

Gentlemen, after 14 years on-and-off (mainly off) I have finally 100% Vanishing Point.

So happy.

11311183_413898398780983_121607178_n.jpg

Teknoman

I don't think the output chip can do component so there are no mods for it. VGA looks much better however anyway but if you are intending to use a CRT TV that's not usually an option.

You can do RGB which is the next best option but no progressive scan, S-Video or use a VGA to component active converter (pricey and not recommended)

What I use for my Dreamcast now is the VGA on a PC CRT display. Looks pretty fantastic.

Yeah im using a CRT. So wait, Dreamcast has an RGB SCART cable available then? Because all the systems I have connected via RGB SCART just connect to my TV via a Component converter. Dont really have any way to use VGA at the moment, and i've only got my DC connected by S-Video.

Watch out for RGB 'left shift' on those Scart cables....

You may need a TV that allows you access to the factory settings adjustment in order to move the picture position, otherwise you'll be stuck with a signal output that isn't perfectly centred on screen.

Dreamcast does RGB SCART. I have a European RGB SCART cable from pelican I believe, and use it for 240p games like Gunbird 2 and Jojo's on the PVM.

One of my favorite things about the Dreamcast right now is still being able to get sealed new copies of games for a reasonable price. Bad part about that is feeling like I should be keeping them sealed instead of opening them right when I get them. Don't even know why I feel that way since I never sell any of my games though.

hodgy100

They were clearing out some old cupboards at work the other day and put a dreamcast and games up for grabs (first come first serve). so i ran down to reception and picked them up. I'm rather happy with the haul :)

i got:
ChuChu Rocket!
Bust-a-Move 4
Ecco
SEGA Extreme Sports
Wetrix+
V-Rally 2
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi 2
Sonic Shuffle
Mr Driller
Bangai-o
Marvel vs Capcom 2 .

they will go nicely with my other dreamcast games :D

Jaeger

One of my favorite things about the Dreamcast right now is still being able to get sealed new copies of games for a reasonable price. Bad part about that is feeling like I should be keeping them sealed instead of opening them right when I get them. Don't even know why I feel that way since I never sell any of my games though.

Agreed. Although I have no problem keeping them in the cases. And when possible I make copies of the games and never touch them again.

Teknoman

Are you sure you don't mean Composite?

Composite, gross.

Pretty sure he means RGB to component converter. I use the same thing on my CRT.

Bingo.

SDV4-Product.gif

My problem is, i'd need a cable with a RCA Stereo lead or whatever on it like the other systems excluding Genesis.

Works perfectly, but right now only my SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and N64 use it.

Watch out for RGB 'left shift' on those Scart cables....

You may need a TV that allows you access to the factory settings adjustment in order to move the picture position, otherwise you'll be stuck with a signal output that isn't perfectly centred on screen.

So thats why some of my Genesis and SNES games look like that... Its not THAT bad, but its noticeable with some games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I appreciate that, good sir! I've been investigating the DC version (and two other Super Turbo ports), and the DC thus far is spot on in terms of colors, and ratio and sprites. I thought for the longest the 3DO port was spot on in some of these points, but it doesn't seem to be the case after doing some comparison shots. Detailing was lost in stages, and sprites are smaller. Fantastic port, but not as good as the Dreamcast, Saturn/PSX ports it seems.

Wish I was hip to it before it got hot.
Comparison reproduced in the Saturn thread

sarcoa

Finally completed the full Sega All Stars run.

NBA 2K, NBA 2K1, NFL 2K, NFL 2K1, NHL 2K, Sonic Adventure, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Sega Bass Fishing can all probably be found on eBay for less than $10.

Marvel vs Capcom and House of the Dead 2 are slightly harder to come by, but still around $15-$20.

Midway's entries are weird. There don't seem to be any of them on eBay, but when one pops of every few weeks it's usually listed for less than ten dollars. The All Stars version of Ready 2 Rumble, in particular, has only been on eBay twice in 2015! I suspect they had a low print run (or, as there's no Sega All Stars branding on the actual discs, Midway didn't really give a shit about the promotion). Anyway Blitz, Hydro Thunder, and Ready 2 Rumble, if you can find them, are around $15. There is currently an All Stars variant of Ready 2 Rumble at Amazon, but the seller, seemingly aware of its rarity, wants $200.

This leaves Power Stone, which is always the most expensive at around $40-$50. Power Stone in general is also kind of pricey, so there's probably a scaled curve with its value.

Congrats on scratching the All-Stars sub-series off your list. I believe my only such release is Crazy Taxi, but I was so hype to get a new sealed copy from TRU about 10 years ago, haha (I opened it). Was like $4 too. I love that game!

televator

Just booted up Shenmue in Demul and compared it to my Dreamcast (plugged in via VGA adapter). Shenmue is getting real close to looking perfect in emulation. Audio is still a bit meh but hey, progress!

Also whats up with the HDMi board? Wouldn't an VGA box and a VGA to HDMI adapter do the same thing without messing around on the inside of the console?

No. The HDMI board is pure digital AV. VGA is analog.

Finally completed the full Sega All Stars run.

NBA 2K, NBA 2K1, NFL 2K, NFL 2K1, NHL 2K, Sonic Adventure, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Sega Bass Fishing can all probably be found on eBay for less than $10.

Marvel vs Capcom and House of the Dead 2 are slightly harder to come by, but still around $15-$20.

Midway's entries are weird. There don't seem to be any of them on eBay, but when one pops of every few weeks it's usually listed for less than ten dollars. The All Stars version of Ready 2 Rumble, in particular, has only been on eBay twice in 2015! I suspect they had a low print run (or, as there's no Sega All Stars branding on the actual discs, Midway didn't really give a shit about the promotion). Anyway Blitz, Hydro Thunder, and Ready 2 Rumble, if you can find them, are around $15. There is currently an All Stars variant of Ready 2 Rumble at Amazon, but the seller, seemingly aware of its rarity, wants $200.

This leaves Power Stone, which is always the most expensive at around $40-$50. Power Stone in general is also kind of pricey, so there's probably a scaled curve with its value.

The only one i have is Power Stone, which i got on a whim at a gaming convention recently for $20 because the price was good and i was very shocked that it was released as a Greatest Hits game. Turns out that was actually a good buy.

jerry1594

Some surprising games were released for matching service. Besides SF2, Puzzle Fighter and Vampire there's Alpha 3, JoJo's and Tech Romancer?

It's been a while since I played mine but I wonder if my Jojo's is the Matching Service version. I recall an "Internet" option on the title screen.
Unless that was just a DC browser link to the homepage or something...

KC-Slater

I like the white, it stands out next to my PS1 games. Don't like how they switched to full black later though. Hate it when any system does that though, changes standard box styles.

Sega was the absolute worst for switching up their boxes-branding mid-cycle. At least the Black/White DC cases are somewhat complimentary, aesthetically.

jerry1594

It's been a while since I played mine but I wonder if my Jojo's is the Matching Service version. I recall an "Internet" option on the title screen.
Unless that was just a DC browser link to the homepage or something...
Matching service disc is green, the regular one is pink. The manual covers are also different.

Sega was the absolute worst for switching up their boxes-branding mid-cycle. At least the Black/White DC cases are somewhat complimentary, aesthetically.

Didn't notice/care as much about the Genesis boxes as much since not every company followed the guidelines on it anyway. Think the light blue of the sega CD games was the best looking out of all their brandings though.

KC-Slater

Didn't notice/care as much about the Genesis boxes as much since not every company followed the guidelines on it anyway. Think the light blue of the sega CD games was the best looking out of all their brandings though.

I agree--NA Sega CD branding looked very slick, but even the Sega CD branding was subject to some publishers/titles going rogue and breaking the style guidelines. I'm looking at you Final Fight, Afterburner III and Fahrenheit.

Despite it's very small library, I always thought the 32X branding/boxes looked great (but Acclaim had to mess that up by publishing its titles in non-conforming clamshells!!)

sarcoa

Congrats on scratching the All-Stars sub-series off your list. I believe my only such release is Crazy Taxi, but I was so hype to get a new sealed copy from TRU about 10 years ago, haha (I opened it). Was like $4 too. I love that game!
Right? My All Stars copy of Crazy Taxi is the only one in the collection I picked up new back in 2000 or 2001. Made my summer!
Purposely collecting greatest hits editions? What a world we live in. :3
Looks great.
Ha, well, I'm also separately collecting the whole NA Dreamcast library whenever one on the checklist pops up for cheap. The All Stars line and a few other revisions/oddities are more or less side objectives.

Do any of the serial-to-sd card adapter work?

I'd like to play my DC without worrying about the reader going nuts xD

Does the DC need any modification?

oneida

playing VF3tb with the DC pad is nightmare inducing
I like the game so much so I put up with it but it's hard to recommend to beginners

sega why did you design this pad so wrong

petran79

Banned
Indeed.
Some moves like Aoi's middle parry and reversal are impossible
Diagonal forward and p+k+g a pain to perform
Sidestep? Forget it.

For 2d fighters it is even worse if you rely on dpad

oneida

Indeed.
Some moves like Aoi's middle parry and reversal are impossible
Diagonal forward and p+k+g a pain to perform
Sidestep? Forget it.

For 2d fighters it is even worse if you rely on dpad

especially since you're REQUIRED to use d-pad in 3tb for some reason, and the default button mapping has NO combinations (like p+k+g or k+g which would be really useful). instead, the default config maps BOTH triggers to... camera controls.

sure, there's a button config in options.
but you have to manually load your config everytime you boot the game, otherwise it just opts to default.

-_____-

sorry i'm ranting it's just VF3 is like "the black sheep of VF" to most people and i'm 99% sure it's because they just played it on DC

KC-Slater

I'd love one, but the price on that Japanese site puts it at close to $300AUD before shipping. Too rich for my blood, sadly. If only there was a homebrew option like with a Raspberry Pi or something.

Hold up for the guy to open up orders again if you're in NA or EU. (Just watch the site.) I paid the equivalent of $150 Canadian, shipped (and our dollar wasn't doing too hot) so I imagine if you're in the US or in Europe (the dude is based in Poland, if I recall) it will be cheaper.

Edit: Just saw that you're in Australia, but same rules apply; don't order from the Japanese site, opt to order from him directly when (pre)orders open back up!

bids for best looking dreamcast game?

Aside from the obvious Shenmue 2, I'd say Soul Calibur.

Its backgrounds may be getting a bit old nowadays, but animation is still top-notch even by today standards.

And it's a joy to play and watch at 60fps through VGA.

Le Mans 24h also needs to be mentioned; night-day cycle, weather, 60fps, everything.

Top Bottom