• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I was linked to this site last night

dc-sd.com/

I'll probably get one, I didn't know this existed until yesterday which is annoying because it would've been so damn useful before I bought another system... I do like that I can dump the games that I have to it though, now I can finally play Shenmue without my system acting like garbage!

Yuterald

Gaf, what's your favorite DC game that hasn't been ported to other systems?
Hard mode: game itself is not a port from arcade.

Easy, no contest for me.

3323_front.jpg

Tain

dc-sd.com/

I'll probably get one, I didn't know this existed until yesterday which is annoying because it would've been so damn useful before I bought another system... I do like that I can dump the games that I have to it though, now I can finally play Shenmue without my system acting like garbage!

That site seems awfully... bare and fishy. How does that compare to GDEmu? Does that plug in to the serial port?

I miss using the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2.

Is there anybody else out there who loved those Sonic Games despite everything?

Now they are just a distant Obama meme.

Iorv3th

That site seems awfully... bare and fishy. How does that compare to GDEmu? Does that plug in to the serial port?

Yeah site seems......

you buy one first and tell me how your experience goes.

doesn't gdemu have to be soldered into the system?

KC-Slater

Do any of you guys have suggestions of where/who to buy the sd card reader from? I don't want my gdrom to die on me.

Watching shenmue videos recently makes me want to go play it but need a way to rip the games for emulation or risk playing them and having the gdrom go out.

I have a GDEMU and RHEA for my Saturn, and I can vouch for both. I've posted about it before. I can answer any specific questions you may have.

Persona7

Banned
Do any of you guys have suggestions of where/who to buy the sd card reader from? I don't want my gdrom to die on me.

Watching shenmue videos recently makes me want to go play it but need a way to rip the games for emulation or risk playing them and having the gdrom go out.

I got one on ebay.

EmiPrime

dc-sd.com/

Just bear in mind loading times of games running off a serial to SD card adaptor are extremely long.

If you want the real deal, invest in GDEMU.

Floex

Anyone know a good Dreamcast emulator for mac?

I've got nulldc V.1.0.3 working but I can't seem to hook up my PS4 controller to it.

baphomet

That sounds cool, and right in line with the GDEMU. Kinda pricey though. Is there a menu for it?

The USB-GDROM is generally considered to be the better of the two. It's made by the same guy (MNEMO) who made the USB drive for the 3DO. It does have a built in menu as well.

EmiPrime

The USB-GDROM is generally considered to be the better of the two. It's made by the same guy (MNEMO) who made the USB drive for the 3DO. It does have a built in menu as well.

Sounds awesome. Is there a good replacement fan yet for the Dreamcast? It would be great to have a silent Dreamcast.

KC-Slater

I would hope it is exactly $100 better, as that is the price difference between the two...

baphomet

I would hope it is exactly $100 better, as that is the price difference between the two...

Well that's what sag is charging. You can get them directly from him for much less. I forget what I paid for mine, but it was like $140 or something. Friend of Sonic would probably remember.

KC-Slater

Is this just a matter of removing screws?

Yes, you're just taking out the GD-Rom and replacing it with the new board (it plugs in.) There's a bit more involved if you want the "door open" senor to work, or to have the USB-port facing out the back (externally accessible.)

But for all intents and purposes, it's a handful of screws. Totally doable, even for a novice.

Dereck

Yes, you're just taking out the GD-Rom and replacing it with the new board (it plugs in.) There's a bit more involved if you want the "door open" senor to work, or to have the USB-port facing out the back (externally accessible.)

But for all intents and purposes, it's a handful of screws. Totally doable, even for a novice.
Pretty much bought, then. Not now, later. Hopefully it's still in stock by then.

I had to stop my Sonic Adventure playthrough because the disc drive was dying mid-playthrough.

Teknoman

I miss using the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2.

Is there anybody else out there who loved those Sonic Games despite everything?

Now they are just a distant Obama meme.

Adventure 1 is fun to run through just because. SA2...Playing Sonic/Shadow stages, and later Knuckles/Rouge stages...thats about it.

Believe it or not, i've never beaten SA2.

Teknoman

Why not? I had gotten all S Ranks in that game even.

Not for difficulty or anything. I just always seem to get sidetracked or something happens that takes it out of my possession. First time was Dreamcast trade in for PS2 (that kid level trade hype train), next was my first Gamecube got stolen, then gave the game to my friend later down the line when his disc got cracked via his little sis.

Fast forward to today, Found SA2 for Dreamcast awhile back in a thrift store, so i'll get to it for sure. Playing through all Sonic console releases bit by bit (up until Dreamcast that is). Doesnt help that I dont really like Tails/Eggman gameplay though.

Yuterald

What the fuck is this? I've never heard/seen this game before.

Looks interesting!

An overhead action/adventure game, a Zelda-like, to be specific. Game's got a nice watercolor aesthetic, but it's accompanied by some ugly (but charming, in my opinion) 3D battle arenas for the boss encounters. The dialogue/translation is AWFUL, too, but it's funny in a "so bad, it's good" kind-of-way. The OST is really fucking awesome as well. Game's got a great atmosphere, too. Check out the below video to get a quick-look of the game.

Overview of E.G.G.

RiZ III

I have that issue of NextGen and those screenshots still look hot. I just noticed that it says the developer is Sonic Team though lol.

jerry1594

Anybody who's had any of the Last Blade 2 ports (preferably ntsc-j) have any impressions? I'd really like to have it but it seems short of Neogeo hardware all the releases are subpar.

KC-Slater

But how do you rip your games then?

For Dreamcast, it's easier to acquire images of games you own than rip them yourself. No sense reinventing the wheel if you own the games already.

For Saturn, I have ripped almost everything myself because it was easier to do so, than sourcing quality images, reliably online.

NR1

I was getting covers for my DC collection on the Cover Project, when I noticed a cover for The Simpson Arcade!?!? It was listed as Beat of Rage: The Simpsons Arcade. This got me curious about "Beats of Rage" and started looking up information on it. Seems interesting... It seems a lot of the links and website are down now; is this still a vibrant community?

80157131-33C8-4CB4-B1CB-4DF346B46F4B.jpg

Rich!

Found my old binder with a few classics in it. But uh, I don't have my DC anymore sadly.

What's the state of emulation like nowadays? It was fairly patchy the last time I tried a few years back.

Windows 10 x64 is what I'm running. Hefty gaming rig, 4ghz i7, 8gb ram,gtx970 etc

I was getting covers for my DC collection on the Cover Project, when I noticed a cover for The Simpson Arcade!?!? It was listed as Beat of Rage: The Simpsons Arcade. This got me curious about "Beats of Rage" and started looking up information on it. Seems interesting... It seems a lot of the links and website are down now; is this still a vibrant community?

I kinda want to do the opposite for Under Defeat and Cosmic Smash. They're my only DC games that only came in DVD size cases, and I'd much prefer them in jewel style.

AFAIK Yakumo of Assembler Games made an amazing Under Defeat jewel case artwork that you could mistake for the real thing, but it doesn't seem to be online anywhere anymore :(

gelf

Its been a while since I dabbled in Beats of Rage mods but I worked on a pretty crappy Streets of Rage mod for that engine a long time ago that I could get to run on a DC. The community and development shifted to whats now known as OpenBOR though I have no idea if Dreamcast is still a supported platform for any current versions of the engine.

OpenBOR is the thing to look up for more info anyway unless there has been another offshoot since that I'm unaware of.

epmode

To anyone that has played Shenmue in nullDC:

I'm not hearing any ambient raindrops when it rains. All of the other sound effects seem to be working properly.

Well, I hear a half second of rain fade in and out every two or three seconds. It sounds like the ambient sound is getting cut off by something but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

Iorv3th

I remember downloading it about 10 years ago. Was a free project some guys were working on as a successor to streets of rage but using SNK characters. Think they got sued or a cease and desist or something for using all the SNK artwork.

Today I received a Dreamcast (I already own one but I left it in my home country) and...

the complete Dreamcast guide, all models, accessories and the complete line-up

Well that's what sag is charging. You can get them directly from him for much less. I forget what I paid for mine, but it was like $140 or something. Friend of Sonic would probably remember.
I think my shipped price, after the fees for wiring him the money (which yes was scary but luckily he is trustworthy and I think he has Paypal now) was 185. Unfortunately, this involved having to buy a minimum of 3. Not a biggie for me but a lot of money for some people to front unless you get a group order going.

I haven't used the GDEMU. It is a good device I hear and even cheap at 110 Euro (which is around 120 USD) Still, I think the price difference of roughly 65 dollars was worth ot for me given the difference in memory costs of USB versus SD cards. GDROM USB also is region free, something the GDEMU lacks. The USB adapter also recently received a crucial firmware update to allow the playing of .CDI which was huge in my opinion.

Honestly, it was worth it to me, but I am a DC nut who has some disposable income so your mileage may vary.

Today I received a Dreamcast (I already own one but I left it in my home country) and...

the complete Dreamcast guide, all models, accessories and the complete line-up

How many models are there in total?

Despite the system's short lifespan, I always felt it was on the high end for any console thanks to the plethora or Limited Edition console releases and variants (2 different Hello Kitty ones, 2 different Resident Evil ones, etc).

Top Bottom