• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Peco

Update:

I just tried the SEGA Dreamcast DCIE Import Enabler and Shenmue worked flawlessly. I think there might be some copy-protection on Shenmue PAL that causes it make the DC lock up when using the utopia boot disc.

If anyone has a similar problem with an import, then another boot disc might be the answer. Plus, I simply prefer this boot disc to the utopia one now. It seems to be a bit less hard on the laser, and there's no "loading sequence(s)" or progress bars after you remove the disc and put in your import. The DC simply starts the game.

I have a PAL DC but 2 of the games I want to play the most right now are imported from the States (Shenmue and JSR): the Utopia boot disc never works for me, it just stops loading at 83% every fucking time. I can't even make/buy a new one at the moment and it makes me so mad.

I'm playing ChuChu Rocket like there's no tomorrow tho.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, what good, non-arcade games does the Dreamcast have that didn't get better ports to other systems?

While the DC was a beast for arcade-style games, I feel like it's really lacking when it comes to meatier games. There's the obvious ones like Shenmue 1 and 2, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, etc... but what else is there that's got a bit more substance?

I was kinda thinking of giving Maken X another shot, but I dunno if that game's actually all that good. And I've always been tempted by Record of Lodoss War. Hmm...

Teknoman

So, what good, non-arcade games does the Dreamcast have that didn't get better ports to other systems?

While the DC was a beast for arcade-style games, I feel like it's really lacking when it comes to meatier games. There's the obvious ones like Shenmue 1 and 2, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, etc... but what else is there that's got a bit more substance?

I was kinda thinking of giving Maken X another shot, but I dunno if that game's actually all that good. And I've always been tempted by Record of Lodoss War. Hmm...

I've been wanting to try out Timestalkers for a bit. And Carrier probably isn't that bad (Its by Jaleco).

Arcade ports can have lots of substance if you want to actually get decent at the games, you know. Just because a game is short to finish doesn't mean it's lacking content.

Anyway, this list of mine might help you: http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=200 (I posted this on Neogaf years ago spread across a couple of posts, but this version is improved a bit and merged into one.)

Danny Dudekisser

Arcade ports can have lots of substance if you want to actually get decent at the games, you know. Just because a game is short to finish doesn't mean it's lacking content.

Anyway, this list of mine might help you: http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=200 (I posted this on Neogaf years ago spread across a couple of posts, but this version is improved a bit and merged into one.)

Believe me, I love me some arcade games. I'm just looking for some stuff that doesn't fit that mold.

In any case, though, that list is helpful. I'm kinda curious about EGG. Heard good things, but it's weird how under the radar that game was back when it first came out. I can't recall ever having seen a screenshot of it before.

Maybe the reason I didn't pay attention to it is because I kept confusing it with Eggs of Steel on the PS1.

Danny Dudekisser

Cool. I hooked up my Dreamcast for the first time in like a year, and got to use the Hanzo (the revised version) for the first time.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk. This thing looks so good. I suspected there was always something wrong with my old, generic VGA box, because I was getting some weird cross-hatching patterns, but going to the Hanzo is night and day. The picture quality is perfect. The sound quality is spectacular, too.

Played through Heavy Metal Geomatrix, which is a game that nobody seems to have played. It's been more than a decade since I'd played through it, but it's just as fun as I remember. Really an awesome game, and one of the more unique games Capcom put out on the DC.

Believe me, I love me some arcade games. I'm just looking for some stuff that doesn't fit that mold.

In any case, though, that list is helpful.

Hopefully that helps, because I did originally make that list in response to people saying how the DC has no good games that aren't also on other platforms, etc -- this is why exclusives are italicized and such.

I'm kinda curious about EGG. Heard good things, but it's weird how under the radar that game was back when it first came out. I can't recall ever having seen a screenshot of it before.

Maybe the reason I didn't pay attention to it is because I kept confusing it with Eggs of Steel on the PS1.
Yeah, E.G.G. is great, good classic 2d Zelda-style fun.

Timu

Played through Heavy Metal Geomatrix, which is a game that nobody seems to have played. It's been more than a decade since I'd played through it, but it's just as fun as I remember. Really an awesome game, and one of the more unique games Capcom put out on the DC.
I want to get that game someday.

Cool. I hooked up my Dreamcast for the first time in like a year, and got to use the Hanzo (the revised version) for the first time.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk. This thing looks so good. I suspected there was always something wrong with my old, generic VGA box, because I was getting some weird cross-hatching patterns, but going to the Hanzo is night and day. The picture quality is perfect. The sound quality is spectacular, too.

Is it really that much different? I'm building an arcade cabinet which will also house one of my DC, so I may take the plunge and buy one. 65 isn't that bad after all. I'm currently using a Retrobit vga box.

Danny Dudekisser

Is it really that much different? I'm building an arcade cabinet which will also house one of my DC, so I may take the plunge and buy one. 65 isn't that bad after all. I'm currently using a Retrobit vga box.

I mean, I can't really say how much of a difference it'd be from that one; my only frame of reference is the crappy VGA box I used for years. But I was very impressed with both the video and audio quality. I didn't realize the Dreamcast was capable of that kind of output.

In other news, I've now played through Heavy Metal Geomatrix 7 times in the last day. Might as well finish it off with all the characters for... no apparent reason. Game is fucking fun.

BBboy20

*looks up Dynamite Cop*...IT'S A SEQUEL/REBOOT TO DIE HARD ARCADE!

(Yes, I became increasingly aware of the whole franchise from Project X Zone but ...wow, seeing Saturn/Arcade gameplay but on smooth Dreamcast framerates is something.)

I mean, I can't really say how much of a difference it'd be from that one; my only frame of reference is the crappy VGA box I used for years. But I was very impressed with both the video and audio quality. I didn't realize the Dreamcast was capable of that kind of output.

I bought one; I needed a second vga anyway and it looks cool, if anything.

Danny Dudekisser

I kiiiiinda want to buy Skies of Arcadia on DC. The encounter rate isn't that much worse, is it? I've heard it was just like... one area that was particularly bad.

I would like to have the DC version's markedly better music.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've only played the DC version and honestly don't understand the problem people have with encounter rates, but that kind of stuff usually doesn't bother me in general.

Protip: In most circumstances, you can hear the DC's disc drive making noise when it's loading an encounter, so in a lot of cases I think you can just pause the game or something whenever you hear that to avoid them.

IIRC, the GC version doesn't have progressive scan, either.

Dereck

Guys, I just replaced the battery on my Dreamcast with a new battery, after replacing the old battery, the Dreamcast is still supposed to beep at least once because the new battery needs to be charged right?

How long should I leave the Dreamcast on for the new battery to become fully charged?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I bought two batteries, I'll replace that bitch too.

Don't. Open it up and dispose of the old batteries, but don't replace them with new ones unless you're actually planning to use the VMU on its own for something.

It drains batteries like crazy just from normal Dreamcast play. It's a waste to replace them if you're not ever using the VMU by itself.

Bought a couple of games recently: DUX 1.5, Dynamite Deka and Dead or Alive 2 (dirt cheap).

Just sharing some Dreamcast love.

Oh, and the greatest fighting game of all time, Soul Calibur (DC version only), turned 16 yesterday!

Soul%20Calibur%20jap%20-%20front.jpg

NDPsycho

Bought a couple of games recently: DUX 1.5, Dynamite Deka and Dead or Alive 2 (dirt cheap).

Just sharing some Dreamcast love.

Oh, and the greatest fighting game of all time, Soul Calibur (DC version only), turned 16 yesterday!

One of the best launch games ever! I still think the game is impressive.

Oh, neat. Happy anniversary, Soul Calibur. Legit classic.

One of the best launch games ever! I still think the game is impressive.

I still play it almost every day. Through VGA on a 4:3 display it really shows how far ahead for its time it was.

Aside from raw poly-count and 2d-elements, it still impresses me everytime: animation and desing are still very good, even some 20 years later.

From a gameplay perspective I believe it's the best SC ever, but that's an entirely different topic.

Still, I couldn't live without it xD

shanafan

Oh, neat. Happy anniversary, Soul Calibur. Legit classic.

About a year ago, three of us played Soul Calibur very impromptu. It was a race to see who could beat the game fastest. I beat it first, but then my friend beat it quicker than me. Then my other friend came in and beat at an even quicker time. It was pretty entertaining watching the last one play because we were just staring at the clock and seeing if the time could be beat. Lot of laughing and cheering going on. SC is a game that has aged VERY well.

Danny Dudekisser

SC1 is still my favorite in the series, by far. It's just an incredible game, and it's aged very, very well. Kinda funny how that game's been re-released a few times, but none of the releases are anywhere nearly as good as the DC version.

Also, wasn't there some censorship in the US version of the game? Like some costumes were changed to be less revealing?

KC-Slater

Question about GDEMU, do the .cdi files need to be selfboot to work?

Good question. To be honest, I'm not sure. It supports .GDI and .CDI, and every image I have found online in either of these formats that I've tried, has worked. Sorry for the non-answer, lol.

Dereck

Good question. To be honest, I'm not sure. It supports .GDI and .CDI, and every image I have found online in either of these formats that I've tried, has worked. Sorry for the non-answer, lol.
I'll check it out once I get my hands on the device, thanks.

Danny Dudekisser

So, is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver still good? I've never played the game, but I do know the Dreamcast version is the best one, by far. So... kinda curious.

....The Dreamcast powers the VMU even without the battery?

I like learning things. I'll remove it, thanks.

No, the batteries in the VMU only are used for the VMU's screen and independent mini-apps on the VMU screen. Data saved on the VMU is saved to flash memory chips that do not need battery power to hold the data. So only put batteries in your VMU if you're planning to play a VMU minigame. When batteries are in a VMU, because it draws power as long as the batteries are in and you can't actually turn it off entirely, a pair of (not-cheap) CR2032 batteries will last only maybe three months before they die.

Unfortunately, the only way to play VMU minigames is by putting batteries in the VMU. I have seen VMU emulators, but I don't know if any actually let you play the files on your own VMU on the TV screen, or just files on a disc. Most of the relatively few VMU apps aren't all that interesting though, so it's not too big of a deal. There's a lot of bland Tamagochi-esque stuff.

Mzo

For the guy removing the VMU batteries: I hope you have second gen VMUs. They beep for about half the length. That shrill scream always gets to me.

If it's a transparent color you're good to go, pretty much.

NR1

Just got a copy of E.G.G (Elemental Gimmick Gear) and Tech Romancer off eBay for $50 total. Not bad. E.G.G is missing the manual and Tech Romancer is missing the case.

Only played Tech for a few minutes, but it has a Power Stone vibe to it. E.G.G is very slow going-- I think you have to sit though 10 minutes of cut-scenes that you can't skip before you can even play the game. It has a very Zelda: LttP feel. I'm very interested in exploring the world.

Both work with the VGA box.

Danny Dudekisser

For the guy removing the VMU batteries: I hope you have second gen VMUs. They beep for about half the length. That shrill scream always gets to me.

If it's a transparent color you're good to go, pretty much.

hmm... is it easy to just remove the speaker from the VMU? I mean, shit, I'd almost be tempted to just opt for a straight-up memory card instead. I know the beep is part of the Dreamcast Experience (tm), but it's dumb.

Just got a copy of E.G.G (Elemental Gimmick Gear) and Tech Romancer off eBay for $50 total. Not bad. E.G.G is missing the manual and Tech Romancer is missing the case.

Only played Tech for a few minutes, but it has a Power Stone vibe to it. E.G.G is very slow going-- I think you have to sit though 10 minutes of cut-scenes that you can't skip before you can even play the game. It has a very Zelda: LttP feel. I'm very interested in exploring the world.

Both work with the VGA box.

Tech Romancer is pretty rad, though it takes a bit of time to get used to. It's a very different sort of game. It's a hell of a lot of fun, though, once it clicks.

Dereck

I just beat JSR for the first time ever, when I played it when I was 10 I couldn't get past the 5-6th city.

Great game, too bad about the frame drops.

Dereck

It really is incredible, and it's great how much the game opens up once you learn about mobility with grinding/wall grinding.

Mzo

So, is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver still good? I've never played the game, but I do know the Dreamcast version is the best one, by far. So... kinda curious.

I thought it was really good at the time. Decent combat, fun exploration, great story. Looks great and plays really well on the DC. I remember the next-level block sliding that allowed you to roll them over to different faces, whoaaa.

I remember thinking it was reminiscent of an advanced version of Tomb Raider, which Crystal Dynamics would later work on.

I'm assuming it's cheap? I say go for it.

Toxa

I finaly bought this

to complete my collection with my Shenmue US.

and started my very first run with shenmue 1

and so far I like it I was afraid to dislike the game but it's pretty cool so I'm really proud I backed Shen3 on kickstarter :)

bought also this

a brand new copy not used (so expansive) my first unused game on dc but sadly the game is not compatible with vga :(

Danny Dudekisser

I finaly bought this

to complete my collection with my Shenmue US.

and started my very first run with shenmue 1

and so far I like it I was afraid to dislike the game but it's pretty cool so I'm really proud I backed Shen3 on kickstarter :)

bought also this

a brand new copy not used (so expansive) my first unused game on dc but sadly the game is not compatible with vga :(

If I'm not mistaken, VGA boxes like the Hanzo will let you start the game in non-VGA mode, and then switch back to VGA right after... which should alleviate that issue with Dino Crisis.

Top Bottom