• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

How many models are there in total?

Despite the system's short lifespan, I always felt it was on the high end for any console thanks to the plethora or Limited Edition console releases and variants (2 different Hello Kitty ones, 2 different Resident Evil ones, etc).

I have to say that it's not a complete guide, it was printed in Sep 2001, so many games are missing

regarding your question, for example no mention for R7 model...

anyway, Seaman had 2 models, transparent white sold only at HMV (500 units) and a pure red sold during Xmas 199 (850 units)

Hello Kitty has transparent blue and pink, sold with the keyboard (no mention about how many units were producted)

Code Veronica had a transparent dark red and a pure black (2000 units)

then here comes Majora Dreamcast, never heard of it before, 500 units produced in summer 1999

another interesting thing is the prototype article, I could post a picture but I wonder if it's against neogaf policy

KC-Slater

I think my shipped price, after the fees for wiring him the money (which yes was scary but luckily he is trustworthy and I think he has Paypal now) was 185. Unfortunately, this involved having to buy a minimum of 3. Not a biggie for me but a lot of money for some people to front unless you get a group order going.

I haven't used the GDEMU. It is a good device I hear and even cheap at 110 Euro (which is around 120 USD) Still, I think the price difference of roughly 65 dollars was worth ot for me given the difference in memory costs of USB versus SD cards. GDROM USB also is region free, something the GDEMU lacks. The USB adapter also recently received a crucial firmware update to allow the playing of .CDI which was huge in my opinion.

Honestly, it was worth it to me, but I am a DC nut who has some disposable income so your mileage may vary.

Dreamcast images can be very easily patched change to the region, or even force VGA support, so that's not a concern. The GDEMU also supported .CDI out of the gate. I personally don't find the cost/capacity differential of SD cards versus USB memory to be much of an issue in this case, as the Dreamcast has a relatively small library of games to begin with. Aside from a few multi-disc games, the maximum size of each title is 1.2 GB, many of which aren't even half that size. You can do the math, but if you're using even a 16 GB SD card, that's easily your entire library.

Not trying to split hairs or sway anyone toward one or another, just trying to provide accurate info.

Well, I think both of our sets of info are accurate. I am personally using a 1TB HD right now, and many people do and have that preference. Some even do a 2TB hard drive to hold complete sets. So, that disparity of costs between storage mediums does exist, even if the preference of someone using a 16gb card exists. Just because some will be happy with a 16gb card doesn't invalidate the fact that USB based storage is cheaper in many instances.

And yes, you can patch images. You can also pop a Codebreaker or Utopia disc in a vanilla Dreamcast to boot games outside of your region. So, I'm not sure of the relevance of what you're saying. I didn't suggest the USB adapter was the only solution available for those wanting to play games outside of their region. I said it was region free, which isn't inaccurate.

I think both devices are wonderful. I was providing feedback on one that I own.

And just to prove I'm not trying to razz on the GDEMU, it has gotten wonderful community support and has a very snazzy menu, while the USB adapter menu is very plain and even a bit slow. Doesn't bug me, but that is a strength of the GDEMU

NDPsycho

Well, I think both of our sets of info are accurate. I am personally using a 1TB HD right now, and many people do and have that preference. Some even do a 2TB hard drive to hold complete sets. So, that disparity of costs between storage mediums does exist, even if the preference of someone using a 16gb card exists. Just because some will be happy with a 16gb card doesn't invalidate the fact that USB based storage is cheaper in many instances.

And yes, you can patch images. You can also pop a Codebreaker or Utopia disc in a vanilla Dreamcast to boot games outside of your region. So, I'm not sure of the relevance of what you're saying. I didn't suggest the USB adapter was the only solution available for those wanting to play games outside of their region. I said it was region free, which isn't inaccurate.

I think both devices are wonderful. I was providing feedback on one that I own.

And just to prove I'm not trying to razz on the GDEMU, it has gotten wonderful community support and has a very snazzy menu, while the USB adapter menu is very plain and even a bit slow. Doesn't bug me, but that is a strength of the GDEMU

I was wondering if you could answer a question or two? I've got a backorder in for a usb at sag and was curious about if the usb conection will power an external hd or if I need to get one with its own power? Any hard drives small enough to fit in the dc with the lid closed?

Well, based on what Mnemo has said, power draw shouldn't be an issue. It has not been for me thus far.

I know that the drive can be internalized, but I'm not sure how much modification is needed. I am also assuming you wanna go small form and use a 2.5" drive. I would definitely look into it further. I know people have done it.

One final thing-- unfortunately, the device draws too much power and can cause heating issues. There's a few things you can do-- some people have replaced their power supply with modern, cooler running ones-- but the easiest solution that does not require soldering is to pop in a 300 ohms resistor. There's an excellent video I can send your way, when I get a moment, that shows it in a very clear and easy to understand way. I have 0 modding knowledge or experience and had no issues. Once the resistor is in there, it regulates the power the device is using.

KC-Slater

I am personally using a 1TB HD right now, and many people do and have that preference. Some even do a 2TB hard drive to hold complete sets. So, that disparity of costs between storage mediums does exist, even if the preference of someone using a 16gb card exists. Just because some will be happy with a 16gb card doesn't invalidate the fact that USB based storage is cheaper in many instances.

I'm not arguing that USB based storage isn't necessarily cheaper, but I am suggesting due to the limit size of the Dreamcast library (there are only a few hundred games) and the maximum size each game could possibly be, that price differential between the two storage mediums is a non-issue. If the games were originally on DVDs or Blu-ray, then perhaps the cost savings of being able to use larger, cheaper USB drives would be beneficial, but seeing as though it is totally reasonable for even a Dreamcast enthusiast with a decent-sized library to store their entire library on a cheap 16GB SD card, let alone a larger capacity card that is comparatively spec'd/priced to a USB option, there is no real cost savings going on as a benefit of using USB storage in this particular scenario, assuming you're not sharing an external USB drive of some sort.

In a previous post, you said that the GDEMU wasn't region free, which is correct. While the device itself will not boot an image that is outside of the region of your hardware, I was simply highlighting the solution that the images could be easily patched for your region, before being copied on to the SD card, really not adding much to the workflow of readying your games for use with the GDEMU. I thought this was worth highlighting to any potential users whom may be interested, but booting imports was something of a concern to them.

Alternatively, you could also just position a Utopia boot disc in the folder just before an import, and boot that, and then hit the physical button on the GDEMU to load the next image (which would be your strategically positioned import-title.) This method isn't as elegant, but works just the same.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
woo

b5Z8D8f.jpg

Bar81

I have to say that it's not a complete guide, it was printed in Sep 2001, so many games are missing

regarding your question, for example no mention for R7 model...

anyway, Seaman had 2 models, transparent white sold only at HMV (500 units) and a pure red sold during Xmas 199 (850 units)

Hello Kitty has transparent blue and pink, sold with the keyboard (no mention about how many units were producted)

Code Veronica had a transparent dark red and a pure black (2000 units)

then here comes Majora Dreamcast, never heard of it before, 500 units produced in summer 1999

another interesting thing is the prototype article, I could post a picture but I wonder if it's against neogaf policy

There are many more than that just in Japan - there were two R7 variants and unnumbered (even rarer <50 units) variants of the two Code Veronica units, for example. This is a good summary (I can personally confirm the existance of most of these JP models as I either own them or have seen them offered for sale, but the info might not be 100% accurate - for example, the two R7 variants and controllers have already existing logos to my knowledge, not a sticker to be applied by the user):

http://segaretro.org/Special_Dreamcast_Models

This is probably the only system where I felt the urge to collect SE consoles given how many good looking variants there were.

I've probably missed this somewhere, but do we have any idea when he'll be taking orders for GDEMU again? I just found out about it today, so I'm pretty excited about potentially grabbing one.

KC-Slater

I've probably missed this somewhere, but do we have any idea when he'll be taking orders for GDEMU again? I just found out about it today, so I'm pretty excited about potentially grabbing one.

I think soon, but just keep an eye on the blog. From the looks of the blog, it seems as though he has a batch that will be ready to ship soon (but I'm not sure if those are RHEA or GDEMU, though.) Typically, the orders open back up after the existing queue has been fulfilled. People may also bail on their orders once they are ready, so there may be a few unclaimed units floating around. Good luck!

KC-Slater

Really wanting to get Rhea, but I miss preorders every time. And I have the wrong model of Saturn. :(

I think there is a solution in the works (ready?) for non-21-pin models. I have one, but it's not quite as polished as the GDEMU or the Dreamcast USB solution (yet.) There is soldiering involved to install it. You also need to use images nearly exclusively in .CDI format which is a pain as a Mac-user, but all-in-all it's a great way to finally experience some rare Saturn titles easily, outside of emulation. (Sorry if OT.)

Peltz

For some reason, my utopia boot disc isn't loading up the Shenmue PAL game I just imported.

It recognizes the disc (displaying shenmue cover-art on the spinning CD), then loads the first 100%, then at the second load, freezes at like 96%.

Any thoughts? Is there a specific version of the boot disc that I need to use?

televator

For some reason, my utopia boot disc isn't loading up the Shenmue PAL game I just imported.

It recognizes the disc (displaying shenmue cover-art on the spinning CD), then loads the first 100%, then at the second load, freezes at like 96%.

Iirc, some later Dreamcasts had more anti piracy measures on which not even a boot disk will work.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
great game, but wasn't the US version notably improved?

apparently the shadow separation issues on slopes were fixed, but i don't know about anything else and it's only really noticeable on pai's stage anyway. there was also a dedicated versus and training mode added, jp version just works like the arcade version with winner stays rule. i only have a jp dreamcast so it's not like i have much choice anyway. :p

it's actually the first time i've actually played vf3 and i really love it. i always liked the mechanical simplicity of the older vfs where it was basically pure rock-paper-scissors reads and counters without the elaborate juggles and stuff that 3d fighters would eventually adopt. this feels just like vf2 but with actual 3d movement which is perfect.

i'm surprised how decent the port is too. from the videos i've seen of the arcade version, the lighting is sharper, the textures are better and the models are nicer with more elaborate cloth physics, and the dc version has the shadow glitches and weird joint issues on the models, but otherwise looks like a remarkably close facsimile. i'd be interested if there are some actual direct feed real hardware comparisons since all of the footage i can find of the model 3 are pretty blurry.

graphics issues aside, i'm guessing the actual game is arcade accurate and everything that works on the console version will also work there?

edit - seems like they changed the hud in the US version too for some reason..

Peltz

I cannot for the life of me get the hang of 3TB. I have a lot of experience with DOA and SoulCalibur, and 3TB just feels like a completely different genre. I also feel like you can't get by without an arcade stick in that game.

I've only been playing it for a few hours, so I'm going to continue to stick with it. It's my first VF game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I cannot for the life of me get the hang of 3TB. I have a lot of experience with DOA and SoulCalibur, and 3TB just feels like a completely different genre. I also feel like you can't get by without an arcade stick in that game.

I've only been playing it for a few hours, so I'm going to continue to stick with it. It's my first VF game.

You can play on pad (I do) but it's really not suited to it like DOA and SC were. And the default button config is shit. Be sure to map the shoulder buttons to something useful, like K+G and P+K.

My recommendation is not to try to just do stuff, but to use a command list, especially since this is your first VF. Get in the habit of blocking when at disadvantage (read: you got hit or your attack got blocked) and attacking with a mid or throwing when at advantage (read: your blocked your opponent's attack or you hit your opponent). VF is all about fundamentals.

The easiest characters to play (IMO) are Jacky and Wolf.
For Jacky, use 6P,K or P+K,K as your go-to mid strings. use 66K and 7K for yolo fun because they're cool.
For Wolf, use 624P,P. Wolf has a really easy combo: 46P+K, 46P+K, 46K+G. works on everyone but Taka I think. Also his throws are really great.

Peltz

You can play on pad (I do) but it's really not suited to it like DOA and SC were. And the default button config is shit. Be sure to map the shoulder buttons to something useful, like K+G and P+K.

My recommendation is not to try to just do stuff, but to use a command list, especially since this is your first VF. Get in the habit of blocking when at disadvantage (read: you got hit or your attack got blocked) and attacking with a mid or throwing when at advantage (read: your blocked your opponent's attack or you hit your opponent). VF is all about fundamentals.

The easiest characters to play (IMO) are Jacky and Wolf.
For Jacky, use 6P,K or P+K,K as your go-to mid strings. use 66K and 7K for yolo fun because they're cool.
For Wolf, use 624P,P. Wolf has a really easy combo: 46P+K, 46P+K, 46K+G. works on everyone but Taka I think. Also his throws are really great.

I guess starting with Akira was a mistake? I have lot's of trouble wrapping my head around controlling him.

oneida

I guess starting with Akira was a mistake? I have lot's of trouble wrapping my head around controlling him.

Akira's a great character but more of his important moves require button combinations which may be difficult to map since you only really have the L and R buttons to work with. Also since you're on pad some stuff (like his bnb, 2_6P+K, 3K+G,6P,466P+K ... looks more complicated than it is) will take practice. Unlike Wolf's bnb which is laughably easy.

His 46P+K+E is a really good half circular mid which you can use as a meaty, same with 46P+K. 666P is his go-to mid, his most damaging throw is 46P+G, and off his guard break (2P+G) hits mid and leaves you +17 (!) which guarantees a 33P launcher.

that's actually something worth practicing in training. Set CPU to block, then do
2P+G guard break,
33P launcer
3K+G,6P,466P+K dragon lance combo

To do this on DC pad, map one shoulder button to K+G and another to P+K. You'll have to do P+G with your thumb unfortunately!

/edit/ akira player in that vid i posted
he drops the dragon lance combo at 2:30 lol
/edit2/ another akira match
at 18:39 he uses 64P+G -> 466P+K to get a buttload of dmg

Peltz

Update:

I just tried the SEGA Dreamcast DCIE Import Enabler and Shenmue worked flawlessly. I think there might be some copy-protection on Shenmue PAL that causes it make the DC lock up when using the utopia boot disc.

If anyone has a similar problem with an import, then another boot disc might be the answer. Plus, I simply prefer this boot disc to the utopia one now. It seems to be a bit less hard on the laser, and there's no "loading sequence(s)" or progress bars after you remove the disc and put in your import. The DC simply starts the game.

BBboy20

So, listening Mars Matrix's music in teh "GO STRAIGHT IS THE BEST" thread, I realized how much of a missed opportunity it would have been having to listen to that 10 years ago...and then reminded me of the Dreamcast games I never got so here I am looking at my Amazon wishlist and seeing:

Airforce Delta
Record of the Lodoss War
Gundam Side Story: 0079 Rise from the Ashes
Maken X
Tech Romancer
Project Justice
Skies of Arcadia
Mars Matrix
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolf
Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage
Capcom vs SNK: Millennium Fight 2000
Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai
Street Fighter 3 Alpha

All dated: "June 6th, 2005".

Remembering back, it was based on a suggestion of what Dreamcast games to get 2 years after Sega left the console game. I think the listing was more based on lesser known titles or maybe Pope Hentai really did only play them but man, I'm currently wondering: what was wrong with me? Why did I not play the Dreamcast that much? Was I distracted by the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube? Did my younger self ultimately, in a subconscious way, didn't find it's library "that" appealing? Because plenty of these titles are even more rarer and their prices jacked the hell up. Nothing but regret (for some reason Mars Matrix being the biggest of them all); it's even worst when I made no compulsion to expand my DC library back then...but I think I'll try to amend this next month, perhaps starting with that Berserk game (saw a gif of it recently and it's death animations had me enthralled) because some of the titles still seem "affordable".

I got Shenmue in excellent condition a few years back if that counts for something, at least.

oneida

I've been talking about doing it for ice ages but yesterday I finally got around to ordering a capture device which supports VGA, HDMI and component. I'm really looking forward to being able to capture footage of VF3 and 3tb for comparisons, and 4EVO in general. There really isn't much HD footage of these games from people who understand how to play them. I want to change that!

Here's the one I got

oneida

I also just won an auction for Skies of Arcadia for $50 shipped, CIB. I feel okay about that, probably could've lived without it but I've wanted to play the game for over a decade. I actually played Grandia II to completion back when it came out, and the grass always seemed greener on the SoA side.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been talking about doing it for ice ages but yesterday I finally got around to ordering a capture device which supports VGA, HDMI and component. I'm really looking forward to being able to capture footage of VF3 and 3tb for comparisons, and 4EVO in general. There really isn't much HD footage of these games from people who understand how to play them. I want to change that!

Here's the one I got

This is basically a clone of the same one I have. It's good.

KC-Slater

I also just won an auction for Skies of Arcadia for $50 shipped, CIB. I feel okay about that, probably could've lived without it but I've wanted to play the game for over a decade. I actually played Grandia II to completion back when it came out, and the grass always seemed greener on the SoA side.

Fingers-crossed that your second disc works. I bought it new back when Electronic Boutique (maybe it was still Babbages, then?) was liquidating their DC stuff. I played through until I reached the second disc...and it didn't work. Nowadays it's not a huge deal, but back then, there weren't nearly as many options (especially with dial-up) to continue playing forward...

I lost all momentum, and never finished it. I was never sure if this was a wide spread problem or just bad luck on my part. Anyone else have a problematic SoA disc 2?

oneida

Fingers-crossed that your second disc works. I bought it new back when Electronic Boutique (maybe it was still Babbages, then?) was liquidating their DC stuff. I played through until I reached the second disc...and it didn't work. Nowadays it's not a huge deal, but back then, there weren't nearly as many options (especially with dial-up) to continue playing forward...

I lost all momentum, and never finished it. I was never sure if this was a wide spread problem or just bad luck on my part. Anyone else have a problematic SoA disc 2?

wasn't worried about this before, but now I am!

Top Bottom