• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sega rally 2005 at gamespot

BeOnEdge

Banned
there are videos there from TGS. from what i saw it looked like ass. oh well. if you wanna see em, go look. it was so lackluster that i dont feel like linking the page.

Pug

You can't say they haven't kept it authentic, with the trees poping up out of nowhere can you?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not exactly impressive or anything, but it looks fine.

It looks better than SR1 and SR2, for certain, as well as every racer on the Dreamcast...but it can't really stand up to the top looking racers this gen (like RSC2).

Shame I don't like the way RSC2 plays, though. It looks so beautiful but I don't like the game. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
cars look ok, tracks look like shit. and i'm really disturbed by the inclusion of a random track generator...seems like the tracks are simple enough that they can be generated randomly. oh well. at least we've got outrun 2 and ridge racer psp.

BeOnEdge

Banned
drohne said:
cars look ok, tracks look like shit. and i'm really disturbed by the inclusion of a random track generator...seems like the tracks are simple enough that they can be generated randomly. oh well. at least we've got outrun 2 and ridge racer psp.

iawtp. the tracks look naked and lack their arcadish look. looks like a generic pc rally game.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA should save their big game development for hardware they can respect. Although they've worked hard on engines for all three platforms at times, they've been more likely to try hard with a GC and especially an Xbox/Chihiro project. A lot of their designers had voiced dissatisfaction with the PS2 specs, and that was understandable coming from the designs of their DC/PowerVR systems.

Solid

Hopefully that fantastic Sega Rally feeling will be in there...

3400520040925_114841_4_big.jpg

3400520040925_114838_3_big.jpg

3400520040925_114836_2_big.jpg

3400520040925_114835_1_big.jpg

3400520040925_114834_0_big.jpg

Shompola

Banned
ohh not bad but I wish they made a proper Sega Rally 3 for next gen arcade machines and later on ported it to the next gen consoles as launch titles. I believe it would sell pretty good aswell.

doncale

Banned
blame the shitty PS2 graphics architecture, lack of sufficiant memory, memory latency, etc.

If Sega Rally 2005 had been on hardware that was as far ahead of the current consoles as Model 2 and Model 3 where ahead of last gen consoles, there would be no complaints about the graphics.

actually it might not even be PS2's fault. (well SOME of it IS) I doubt Sega Rally 2005 has had the amount of time in deveopment as GT4 has had, or the same budget. or dedication.

whatever is said, this isn't the Sega of old.

ourumov

blame the shitty PS2 graphics architecture, lack of sufficiant memory, memory latency, etc.

If Sega Rally 2005 had been on hardware that was as far ahead of the current consoles as Model 2 and Model 3 where ahead of last gen consoles, there would be no complaints about the graphics.
IMO the responsable of the shitty graphics in this game is just the developer not the system.

Koshiro

Maybe I need to go back and play the previous Sega Rallys again, but I don't remember their track design ever being particularily special, visually. It was no Daytona 2, the tracks were always pretty mundane in their scenery, that was never the point; it was all about the controls.

Can someone list what the previous Rallys did that looked better? Maybe I've just lost focus, but then I'm not comparing it to other games, just Sega Rally games.

Edit: I thought I'd better point out that I'm a former Sega zealot myself, but I'm all for kicking Sega now, because they keep kicking our sort into the netherworlds (latest example being Shenmue Online).

dark10x

solarplexus said:
this game looks like a first generation dreamcast title. I'm not impressed :(

Really? I'm not so sure about that...

SR2k5 is a generic, average looking game...but it still stands above anything on the Dreamcast from a technical standpoint. Some of these games are more creative looking (that's for sure), but I don't think you could say any of them are technically superior...

Most of these aren't even 60 fps...

Oh, and sorry about the capture quality of some of these. I quickly browsed through GS and grabbed most right away. I had to dig for a couple, though. Most of the Daytona shots on GS are total ass (they look like caps from a streamed internet video), for example...

segarally2_screen016.jpg

lemans_1206_screen011.jpg

Ferrari355Challenge_screen097.jpg

vrally2_screen005.jpg

rush2049_b2_screen002.jpg

side note: This is what MSR looks like on a VGA box...

msr_1130_screen007.jpg

SegaGT_screen002.jpg

daytonausa_screen044.jpg

screenshot_screen008.jpg

speeddevils_screen032.jpg

td6_screen019.jpg

redliner_screen002.jpg

superspeed_screen009.jpg

fourwt_screen006.jpg

BeOnEdge

Banned
seeing as how most of sega doesnt like the xbox, they should can this shit and start development on ps3 as a possible launch title. as someone mentioned, sega shines best on cutting edge hardware. ps2 is holding them back guaranteed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'd say f355 looks much better and is technically comparable. which is shameful for a ps2 game scheduled for release in 2005.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sega really don't seem to care what they do with their key franchises anymore :-S

Just hope Phantasy Star Universe is treated with a bit more care ...

ge-man

I think Cockles may have the right idea--I'm beginning to wonder if this game even started life as a Sega Rally game.

Regardless, the game just screams quick cash in. If they didn't want to bother, why didn't they outsouce it to people who care (I'm thinking of Sumo Digital in particular on that note).

Hotsuma

BeOnEdge said:
seeing as how most of sega doesnt like the xbox.

You could have fooled me. Outrun 2, House of the Dead 3 and Virtua Cop 3 made great use of the Chihiro board. I hope Sega of Europe is in talks with Sumo Digital about getting VC3 ported to Xbox. :D

BeOnEdge

Banned
those all started as arcade games which ARE on arcade hardware which confuses me even more. why the fuck isnt sega doing this on chihiro, totally SKIPPING the arcade where sega rally was born? i'm getting the feeling that most others are, that this started as a rally game for ps2 and then they decided to throw the sega rally moniker on there last minute.

*edit* maybe not. the town here is "lakeside" from the signs which is from the original sega rally. this blows. they truly had no choice in the hardware and wanted to maximize possible profit with a ps2 version. can it and do ps3!!!

3400520040925_114841_4_big.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
They've moved away from Xbox support to an extent due to weaker market performance from those titles. They have shown preference for the Xbox's hardware design, though, by using the system as the basis for more showcase titles like Outrun 2, Virtua Cop 3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta and for multiplatform development in Visual Concepts' line.

dark10x

BeOnEdge, they could have done much more on PS2 hardware. The GC and XBOX hardware would have been better choices, but the PS2 is more than capable of delivering a great looking racer with 480p support.

You won't seem to admit it (as you haven't seen the final version), but Burnout 3 actually looks better on PS2 than it does on XBOX...

PS2 is holding them back? Perhaps that is true, but I'd blame the developers inability to come to grips with the hardware more than the hardware itself. The design does seem to require more work to exploit properly, though, which is most certainly a problem...

i'd say f355 looks much better and is technically comparable. which is shameful for a ps2 game scheduled for release in 2005.

Yeah, I can see that. F355 is pretty much the only DC racer that it could be compared with. Pretty sad that a new PS2 racer could be compared to something on Dreamcast, though...

Ridge Racer V looks miles ahead of SR2005 and that was a launch title! Its only flaw is the poor image quality, but the rest of it is ace (shame they didn't do a TTT style makeover on the US version). I hear the arcade version of RRV is cleaned up a lot, though, and runs on regular System 246. I'd love to see that someday!

BeOnEdge

Banned
dark10x said:
BeOnEdge, they could have done much more on PS2 hardware. The GC and XBOX hardware would have been better choices, but the PS2 is more than capable of delivering a great looking racer with 480p support.

You won't seem to admit it (as you haven't seen the final version), but Burnout 3 actually looks better on PS2 than it does on XBOX...

like 20 reviews out there say otherwise. yes they could have done much more but now you are talking about TIME. ps2 is a monster to work with and if they want it out before ps3, they will need to race to do it. funny that am2 seems to be churning out amazing chihiro games with ease yet they want a sub par quick cash in for one of their most beloved racing franchises. then again maybe IT IS too early to tell. i still say move it to PS3.

callous

That looks pretty bad overall, and I think it's official now: Sega cannot do decent reflections on cars. Ah well, I still have the original Sega Rally Championship to turn to. I've pretty much given up hope of Sega ever topping it.

Miburou

dark10x said:
I hear the arcade version of RRV is cleaned up a lot, though, and runs on regular System 246. I'd love to see that someday!

Is it? I played that briefly when I was in Japan, and I don't remember it looking too differently from the PS2 rev. Maybe a bit nicer looking because of the monitor, but not by much. *shrug*

ge-man

No, we just want the game to look like current racers. Burnout 3 just came out a couple of weeks ago and it pretty much destroys this thing they are calling Sega Rally.

BeOnEdge

Banned
nitewulf said:
its a freakin rally game, what do you ppl want, UFOs coming out from the ground with strobe lights??

:lol

NO! but the 2 previous rally games looked arcade. just like ridge racer looks arcade. it has nothing to do with say daytona like environments because rally never had that. its more color use. think back to the original lakeside course in the arcade and on saturn and its beautiful sky and eye catching blue lake. it had surreal qualities. this sega rally 2005 looks bland. it is an imposter sega rally.

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
like 20 reviews out there say otherwise. yes they could have done much more but now you are talking about TIME. ps2 is a monster to work with and if they want it out before ps3, they will need to race to do it. funny that am2 seems to be churning out amazing chihiro games with ease yet they want a sub par quick cash in for one of their most beloved racing franchises. then again maybe IT IS too early to tell. i still say move it to PS3.

Well most reviewers aren't the same class of graphics whore that I am. ;)

It's like this, the XBOX version is a tad crisper when viewing distance textures due to better filtering...but the PS2 version offers superior special effects. They both run in 480p and 16:9, but the effects were toned down on XBOX. The image quality is nearly the same on both versions, though, so I prefer the special effects of the PS2 edition. Problem is, I wanted Live, custom soundtracks, and faster loading...and the PS2 version didn't offer those so I'm playing it on XBOX. I wish they could have combined the strengths of both versions...

Same thing happened with NFSU, though the PS2 version had other flaws that prevented it from being superior.

Is it? I played that briefly when I was in Japan, and I don't remember it looking too differently from the PS2 rev. Maybe a bit nicer looking because of the monitor, but not by much. *shrug*

I honestly have no clue, but I recall hearing that mentioned previously. Maybe it's totally wrong. Regardless, it's a shame they nevered cleaned up the game. It's still a very lovely looking racer...

Damn, Sega just seems to love taking their heritage and dragging it through the mud. I do partially blame ps2 but the truth is, ps2 is capable of quite a bit more than what is on display in SR 2005. Damn shame.

dark10x said:
You are 100% wrong. I have played both versions here, on my Hitachi 51s500 hdtv and the ps2 version does NOT look better than the xbox version. You can debate about sparks all day long, there really isn't any difference between the two. Where there IS a difference, is in the image quality. The xbox version slightly edges out the ps2 version here. I would like to know what/why you think the ps2 version has over the xbox version so do explain.

EDIT: I see you explained above. I disagree. However, I will go back and check out the ps2 version but I don't remember the "special effects" being better on ps2.

dark10x

EDIT: I see you explained above. I disagree. However, I will go back and check out the ps2 version but I don't remember the "special effects" being better on ps2.

Well, the sparks actually are quite different on PS2...but the main difference is the motion blur effects used around the screen. I doubt most people give a shit, but they aren't nearly as intense on the XBOX version.

You say the image quality is SLIGHTLY better on XBOX, and I agree...it is a bit better. However, they look close enough in that regard that it comes down to other things.

nitewulf

COCKLES said:
Sigh. One day Ubisoft will give me Speed Devils LiVE.

damn straight. dont care much for online, but a new speed devils with kick ass graphics is needed. the roswell track rocked.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I saw this at TGS, and it looked so bad there was no way I was gonna stand in line 30 minutes to play it.

I think Sega is making it a habit of pissing me off. Sega is like "Hey, fans, come on and open your mouths and I will give you a tasty surprise" and the fans are like "Okay, bring it on!" and then Sega climbs up a ladder and poops in their mouths while laughing hysterically.

Top Bottom