• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sega rally 2005 at gamespot

MrSingh

they should have called this sega rally 1995 instead.

the game has trees popping in the side of the track and it's very obvious. sega must have ported their sega saturn programming techniques as well!

Saturnman

Banned
MrSingh said:
they should have called this sega rally 1995 instead.

the game has trees popping in the side of the track and it's very obvious. sega must have ported their sega saturn programming techniques as well!

That's what Sega Rally 1 is called. :)

vg-x008.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Unfortunately, F355 was the only premiere racer that SEGA developed natively for the Dreamcast (Sega Rally 2 was Windows CE, and Daytona was just handled as a remix of the older game), and it was started on Naomi before the Dreamcast even launched in 1998. Still, those shots don't represent it well at all, and it's difficult to get good shots of DC games since they were rarely ever captured well or presented as touched-up PR screens as is done today.

Camera-to-screen captures of the intro:

F355-title.jpg

F355-open1.jpg

F355-open2.jpg

F355-open3.jpg

F355-open4.jpg

IGN screenshots:

bg01.jpg

bg15.jpg

bg05.jpg

bg04.jpg

bg24.jpg

bg04.jpg

bg08.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, F355 was hot looking back in the day. Still looks decent by today's standards even!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
unfortunately, i'm gonna have to agree with all the posts in this thread.

this game looks and even feels a bit like ass, although it's hard to tell how it'll handle with an analog stick since i played with the logitech wheel. what's really sad is that the game also has some pretty noticeable pop-up in the backgrounds. :(

look, don't get all nostalgic. just play RSC2. why the hell not?

dark10x

look, don't get all nostalgic. just play RSC2. why the hell not?

I don't like it. :(

I wanted a new SR game that was as solid as the old titles as those were the only rally games I've enjoyed. I really don't like the car handling in the RSC games at all. In fact, I actually HATE the way the cars handle...

RSC2 looks so godly that I always have an urge to try it, but after playing it on a rental for a while...I honestly just couldn't get into the game. I spent most of my time just trying out each track in order to admire the visuals.

MrSingh

I loved Sega Rally to death in the arcades and on Saturn, but Sega just popped a big one in our collective mouths with Sega Rally 2005.

Move along, play Colin McRae or RSC2.

chespace

dark10x said:
I don't like it. :(

I wanted a new SR game that was as solid as the old titles as those were the only rally games I've enjoyed. I really don't like the car handling in the RSC games at all. In fact, I actually HATE the way the cars handle...

RSC2 looks so godly that I always have an urge to try it, but after playing it on a rental for a while...I honestly just couldn't get into the game. I spent most of my time just trying out each track in order to admire the visuals.

i haven't played a SR game in a while, but what is the difference between the handling of SR and RSC2? (im not suggesting you play RSC1 as i thought that game was just too unforgiving). what do you love about the SR handling so much?

Saturnman

Banned
chespace said:
i haven't played a SR game in a while, but what is the difference between the handling of SR and RSC2? (im not suggesting you play RSC1 as i thought that game was just too unforgiving). what do you love about the SR handling so much?

I feel the same way, but can't put my finger on it. Something with the controls of RSC seem off.

dark10x

Fixed2BeBroken said:
damn, sucks to be you...cause i love the handling and its sweet

I wish I could enjoy it too, but it just annoys the piss out of me. I didn't really have any trouble doing decently in the game, but I just wasn't having any fun with it. I didn't feel as though I was getting anything out of the controls...

Hard to explain, but there is usually a hook in the best arcade style racers that keep me coming back...but I just couldn't find it here. "Something" is missing.

chespace

dark10x said:
I wish I could enjoy it too, but it just annoys the piss out of me. I didn't really have any trouble doing decently in the game, but I just wasn't having any fun with it. I didn't feel as though I was getting anything out of the controls...

Hard to explain, but there is usually a hook in the best arcade style racers that keep me coming back...but I just couldn't find it here. "Something" is missing.

yeah, you've established that already. but what do you love so much about SR's controls? or is that also a feeling that's inexplicable?

dark10x

chespace said:
yeah, you've established that already. but what do you love so much about SR's controls? and is that also something inexplicable?

I dunno, they just feel solid and connected to the ground. When I play RSC2, it feels like the car is just...floating.

To be fair, my favorite SR playing came from the two arcade games with the full force feedback...so they felt damn good to play. I can't capture that at home, obviously, but I still enjoyed the Saturn game...

FightyF

Banned
I understand the reasons why it's on the PS2, and it makes sense. Financially sound decision IMO.

And I wouldn't be quick to blame the PS2 for it looking bad, while it is indeed aging, I think if this same team of developers were to make it for Xbox, they would have similar problems.

Crazy Taxi 3 is a good example.

Outrun 2 and CT3 on the same console...a world of a difference in how polished and great they look.

Besides a few teams, I would say that SEGA doesn't know how to do 3D anymore. They've fallen behind all the other developers. AM2 is the only one with enough guts to try to do something great (Shen Mue is a good example).

Gek54

MrSingh said:

Speaking of...CMR2005 is really good. Not as realistic as RBR or as easy as RSC2 but its somewhere right in the middle and its AAA rally game imo.

MrSingh said:
I loved Sega Rally to death in the arcades and on Saturn, but Sega just popped a big one in our collective mouths with Sega Rally 2005.

So what exactly is wrong with SR2K5? I can see that maybe they changed it but for Sega to release a sucky racing game is pretty unlikely.

How is it different from SR2? Is it still arcade or did they make it more sim? If it's anything like F355 I can see how people might say the controls suck from only sitting down with it for short amount of time.

Gek54

seismologist said:
If it's anything like F355 I can see how people might say the controls suck from only sitting down with it for short amount of time.

It the handling was a realistic as F355 I would be all over it, but we wont be that lucky.

Hotsuma

Fight for Freeform said:
AM2 is the only one with enough guts to try to do something great (Shen Mue is a good example).

Smilebit says HELL NO! JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta made good use of the Xbox hardware. House of the Dead 3 (Wow Ent?) looked fantastic as well.

MAZYORA

gravity0 said:

well, sorda. The Sega Rosso team that was absorbed into H!tmaker is handling it. Looks like they're using a modafied Initial D engine. I wish SR2k5 wouldve started in the arcade on Naomi 2 and then ported to ps2.

MAZYORA

"The line-up was led by Sega Rally 2005, finally unveiled last week after more than a year of licensing-fuelled delays. The PS2 exclusive was playable in a series of sit-down-style set-ups, complete with Gran Turismo steering wheel, and basically it looked top quality. Easily sending sparks flying off the paintwork of some of Xbox's best lookers in the graphics department, Sega Rally 2005 felt like a Sega Rally game, although comparisons with Sega Rally 2 over the original will be voiced by many players. The courses and the vehicles are all what you'd expect and there seemed to be nothing to make the game truly stand out, aside from the typically Sega style and design values. It is certain to go down well with fans and it will be interesting to see how well the game performs outside of the enthusiast core. "

From Kikizo

jarrod

Banned
MAZYORA said:
well, sorda. The Sega Rosso team that was absorbed into H!tmaker is handling it.
No big deal though, as AM3/Hitmaker was the division that AM Annex/AM5/Sega Rosso originally broke off of. :)

Hmm who to beleive. GS are notoriously flaky while Kikizo seem to be huge Sega fns, but whether that's bitter Sega fans or blinded Sega fans it's hard to tell.

MAZYORA said:
"The line-up was led by Sega Rally 2005, finally unveiled last week after more than a year of licensing-fuelled delays. The PS2 exclusive was playable in a series of sit-down-style set-ups, complete with Gran Turismo steering wheel, and basically it looked top quality. Easily sending sparks flying off the paintwork of some of Xbox's best lookers in the graphics department, Sega Rally 2005 felt like a Sega Rally game, although comparisons with Sega Rally 2 over the original will be voiced by many players. The courses and the vehicles are all what you'd expect and there seemed to be nothing to make the game truly stand out, aside from the typically Sega style and design values. It is certain to go down well with fans and it will be interesting to see how well the game performs outside of the enthusiast core. "

From Kikizo

sounds good. I detect bitter Xbox fanboy syndrome in this thread.

FightyF

Banned
Smilebit says HELL NO! JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta made good use of the Xbox hardware. House of the Dead 3 (Wow Ent?) looked fantastic as well.

I stand corrected.

Then maybe it is the console :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
sending sparks flying off the paintwork of some of Xbox's best lookers in the graphics department, Sega Rally 2005 felt like a Sega Rally game, although comparisons with Sega Rally 2 over the original will be voiced by many players

Sega was obviously providing LINES OF COKE TO SNORT for all Kikizo employees, too. That writeup is so, so wrong in so, so many ways.

SEGA RULZ!!! HARDCORE SHADING!!!

Top Bottom