• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

On emulation, maybe it's been posted before but Yabause apparently has OpenGL support:
PanzerZwei_3_s.jpg

You can also see the mesh translucency there (transparent radar instead of dithering), which is featured in SSF as well.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JFTbVK2wI

Yabause doesn't work well on my PC though...

I tested this emulator out a bit i the weekend. It does a nice job with a lot of 3D games when you put the Open GL rendering on. However it's buggy as hell at times, often a 2D layer (skybox, the road in Chase HQ etc.) just isn't rendered.

Both the Daytona games work well though and it seem that the Saturn renders 3D more accurately in the distance than the PS1? I've played quite a lot of PS1 games on emulator and even though they run the games in high resolution etc. the damn polygon wapring is always present in the distance. This emulator, with the Open GL renderer on is shows no warping at all until the actual draw distance. Was the Saturn simply better at rendering polygons correctly?

I tested this emulator out a bit i the weekend. It does a nice job with a lot of 3D games when you put the Open GL rendering on. However it's buggy as hell at times, often a 2D layer (skybox, the road in Chase HQ etc.) just isn't rendered.

Both the Daytona games work well though and it seem that the Saturn renders 3D more accurately in the distance than the PS1? I've played quite a lot of PS1 games on emulator and even though they run the games in high resolution etc. the damn polygon wapring is always present in the distance. This emulator, with the Open GL renderer on is shows no warping at all until the actual draw distance. Was the Saturn simply better at rendering polygons correctly?

The 3DO and Saturn use quads instead of triangles (that is, 4-sided polygons for everything), and quads don't show as much warping as triangles do. Technologically the Saturn (or 3DO) are no better than the PS1 in terms of warping -- that is, they don't have any warping fix in hardware either -- but their use of quads disguises that somewhat.

The 3DO and Saturn use quads instead of triangles (that is, 4-sided polygons for everything), and quads don't show as much warping as triangles do. Technologically the Saturn (or 3DO) are no better than the PS1 in terms of warping -- that is, they don't have any warping fix in hardware either -- but their use of quads disguises that somewhat.

Yeah, the difference is jarring when you are running these games in emulators at high resolutions though. Yabause gave me very little warping of the actual 3D graphics, but it did give a lot of other weird bugs, lol.

Timu

Guys, you won't believe it...I had a Sega Saturn for years and I forgot all about it, ROFL. My brother bought it some years ago and I totally forgot about it. Note I played some Sega Saturn games back in the day but never owned one in the 90s. Now I can do my collection, do direct feed screens and vids once I get more games and a proper capture device for it, though some games might work with my capture device, it hates anything under 480i, so yeah. It's dusty but my bro said it still works.

Man I feel so dumb right now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I'm listening to the Daytona USA Anniversary Box soundtrack, and the Daytona USA 2 tracks are all cut short. Like they just play the first 2 minutes or so and then fade out.

What is this shit? Disappointment of the decade.

kunonabi

Started playing Tactical Fighter. Pretty standard fare simulator so far but it has its charms. I need to pull back on sparring though since she gets injured every time and I lose an entire week of training.

IrishNinja

kinda like mean bean machine, then? i like Puyo but then stuff like Genshiken reminds me i play it like a scrub

I PLAY MY GAMES

AINT PLAYED NO BAKU BAKOOS THO DUN
i haven't touched Outtrigger yet either, but the view sure is nice from this glass house

JEKKI

puyo puyo? no... more like Puzzle Fighter!

exact same mechanics as puzzle fighter, except u can't build gems, and there isn't a character balancing / offense system, just your basic group all the same blocks together til you get the corresponding animal block to eat them

it's fun, definitely has its charm, but Puzzle Fighter is better in every way lol

It's definitely very fun. Admittedly, Puzzle Fighter does the same basic concept better, with its large gems, time-locked garbage, character-specific garbage patterns, et cetera. Still, I played it on my Game Gear in total ignorance of Puzzle Fighter, and still had a great time.

That said, the Saturn version mildly disappointed me - I was expecting there to be brief cutscenes before and after every match like the Game Gear version, only to find there really wasn't much of anything between rounds - you just move from round to round. A shame, because I thought the additional dialog in the Game Gear version made the opponents more interesting. Still worth it, since my disappointment probably wouldn't translate over to somebody totally new to the game.

And no, it's absolutely nothing like Puyo Puyo. The similarities end at "you get to battle another person".

What's the theme for May in the Year of the Saturn? Want to play some saturn-y stuff and am having trouble deciding on what to toss in.

randomly played the arcade version of Elevator Action Returns and had a blast. went to check the prices so that I could buy it on my Saturn...

average price $150?

what thee fuck. I'm starting to think I'm too broke to own a Saturn right now.

IrishNinja

again, can't state this enough: that's the ebay bubble. it's like $50-75 on forums if you look around & get lucky, i found mine on a mostly EU forum for $40 just this spring.

again, can't state this enough: that's the ebay bubble. it's like $50-75 on forums if you look around & get lucky, i found mine on a mostly EU forum for $40 just this spring.

yeah, I should stay away from ebay. come to think of it I have gotten some good deals in the past from SRK & Racketboy

If you're too broke to own a Saturn, it's like $6 along with 38 other games on Taito Legends 2.

hmm, not a fan of those large collection type games. I prefer to own each game individually, and yeah I know it ends up being more expensive. I already own a Saturn too, it's just that I'm a bit down on money at the moment due to decreasing work hours in the summer =/

I'll just wait until I can score the game cheaper on a forum somewhere

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
FWIW, I didn't like Elevator Action Returns the first time I played it. That's because I played the Taito Legends 2 version. I seem to recall there being a ton of slowdown (in the US PS2 version.) From what I hear, the Xbox, PC (which is based on MAME, anyway) and JP PS2 releases were a lot more accurate.

Seik

Banned
I caved because of you guys...just bought Elevator Action Returns.

It was a deal, it seems to be like new and I made an offer of 85$+10$ for shipping and he said yes! :D

Only thing that upsets me is that he has 0 feedback...:/

Hope everything will be fine and dandy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Good call, Seik. Elevator Action Returns is a fantastic game. I have no idea what compelled me to keep playing it, but I got to the point where I'd played it so much that I could breeze through the game on the toughest difficulty without getting hit. Not many games hook me like that.

Also, Stage 3 is the best stage. It's got a very cool, cinematic feel to it.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Well I got Panzer Dragoon II Zwei now. Bastard had so many auto bids on it.

Goodness, I thought using a model 1 or 2 controller might help with the control on Sonic R but it still is nearly uncontrollable. I really want to like this game, but the controls are just all over the place, sigh.

Goodness, I thought using a model 1 or 2 controller might help with the control on Sonic R but it still is nearly uncontrollable. I really want to like this game, but the controls are just all over the place, sigh.
I've never really had that much trouble with it. I mean, you have to wrap your head around the game controlling more like a car-racing game than an on-foot one, and even then it's a bit loose with the turning (although you can turn tighter by using the respective trigger for the direction you're turning toward), but after a little while, it just kinda becomes second-nature.

I've never really had that much trouble with it. I mean, you have to wrap your head around the game controlling more like a car-racing game than an on-foot one, and even then it's a bit loose with the turning (although you can turn tighter by using the respective trigger for the direction you're turning toward), but after a little while, it just kinda becomes second-nature.

Yeah I am going to keep plugging away at it and hope that it clicks at some point. I really like the soundtrack and the game still looks good but I just keep flying off the track around turns.

onken

Got ripped off on Amazon marketplace for PDS - just received disc 2 in an envelope instead of the boxed game. And yes I triple checked the description. Pretty pissed.

Edit- and yes a Sonic R is pretty bad - can't believe I 100%ed it back in the day. Nice disc art, though.

Bar81

Got ripped off on Amazon marketplace for PDS - just received disc 2 in an envelope instead of the boxed game. And yes I triple checked the description. Pretty pissed.

Edit- and yes a Sonic R is pretty bad - can't believe I 100%ed it back in the day. Nice disc art, though.

Amazon should never be a place you shop for retro games. I don't even touch ebay auctions without pics. Unless you can see what you are buying, don't waste your money.

Top Bottom