• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how I did so much better at the PC version of Sonic R with keyboard controls. Even got Super Sonic.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Amazon should never be a place you shop for retro games. I don't even touch ebay auctions without pics. Unless you can see what you are buying, don't waste your money.

I've gambled on Amazon a few times. I lose approximately 80% of the time. But sometimes, I swear I'm gonna win the next time.

I usually don't.

Teknoman

Are there any places outside of ebay that sell game manuals? Missing Resident Evil and Dragon Force are still bugging me.

Just order from high rep places on Amazon, or email people about descriptions?

Got a excellent looking complete Illusion of Gaia, complete PSIV, complete Super Aleste, and the majority of JP Saturn games and PC engine games i've snagged from Amazon. The only time i've been sorta burned was Shining Force 2, where the guy said it was like new in original case, but the cover art was the actual front of the cardboard box, inserted into a genesis case.

Khaz

Are there any places outside of ebay that sell game manuals? Missing Resident Evil and Dragon Force are still bugging me.

Just order from high rep places on Amazon, or email people about descriptions?

Manuals are the most difficult thing to find, let alone on their own. Most people seeing one online will jump on it as it allows to make a new CIB game with the common cartridges, discs and boxes.

Got a excellent looking complete Illusion of Gaia, complete PSIV, complete Super Aleste, and the majority of JP Saturn games and PC engine games i've snagged from Amazon. The only time i've been sorta burned was Shining Force 2, where the guy said it was like new in original case, but the cover art was the actual front of the cardboard box, inserted into a genesis case.

Eh, I had the same thing happen to me with Christmas Nights, a long time ago. The Euro edition was originally in a cardboard sleeve, but I didn't know that at the time. When I saw an auction with a crystal box, I thought "oh hey, a CIB one! And so cheap, how lucky am I!". Needless to say I was disappointed when I received the cardboard sleeve trimmed to fit the crystal box. But it's ok now, I put it in a green slim case to keep the christmas theme and I think it looks cool now.

^I need to play it.=O

Just cleaned off my Saturn, wish it was less dusty but still, lol.
jriwSGqFcaVIJ.jpg

Take a Q-Tip to clean the edges, do it!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Amazon should never be a place you shop for retro games. I don't even touch ebay auctions without pics. Unless you can see what you are buying, don't waste your money.
On the flip side, if you're selling, simply putting up a good pic of your item in your Amazon listing puts you way ahead of the pack since hardly anyone else bothers.

Yeah I am going to keep plugging away at it and hope that it clicks at some point. I really like the soundtrack and the game still looks good but I just keep flying off the track around turns.
Can't hurt to try other characters, too. Notably, Tails has higher acceleration than Sonic, but I believe a slower overall speed - something I found vital in trying to unlock Metal Knuckles (seriously, that race was a pain in the rear). Not sure who has best turning, though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The key to unlocking characters in Sonic R is to get Super Sonic first. Then everything else is a breeze.

The key to unlocking characters in Sonic R is to get Super Sonic first. Then everything else is a breeze.
Super Sonic's usually the last one I get, though.

Actually, I've gotten good enough at the game that I can, with some effort, unlock everything in one pass of the five stages. Not recommended, though, because trying to figure out the best way to detour to grab five coins and 1-2 emeralds, while still making 1st place, is a bit of a hassle.

onken

Yeah I am going to keep plugging away at it and hope that it clicks at some point. I really like the soundtrack and the game still looks good but I just keep flying off the track around turns.

ARggh are you kidding me the soundtrack was AWFUL. The most generic, inoffensive feel-good dreck to taint a Sonic game. If you could turn off the vocals it might not be so bad.

e- check out her awesome website apparently not updated since the 90s (funny, I always thought she was black)
http://www.tjdavis.co.uk/

IrishNinja

yeah sonic R's OST is the single best part of it, i thought

and damn that clean saturn looks sexy!

Got ripped off on Amazon marketplace for PDS - just received disc 2 in an envelope instead of the boxed game. And yes I triple checked the description. Pretty pissed.

Edit- and yes a Sonic R is pretty bad - can't believe I 100%ed it back in the day. Nice disc art, though.

this sucks, man. post back how it works out for you, hopefully no bullshit restocking charge.

ehhh i did really good grabbing DC games off there moths back, just email the seller for pics/description. it takes some hunting but deals can be found.

Seik

Banned
That looks amazing, it's in really good condition!

Thanks, I'm taking good care of it. When it's not plugged it's in a bag where it fits perfectly and it's really well protected.

Before I was collecting anything Saturn related I was talking to a good friend about all the awesome arcade games and shmups that were available on the system and that one day or another I'd be collecting these. So he bought me one for my birthday and said that at least I already had the console so I could invest directly on the expensive games I wanted, haha. It was 100 bucks for it with two controller and a loose UMK3. It didn't took long after this that I started my research in my nearest flea markets and Ebay for my most wanted titles.

Now it's my favorite console and my most valued collection, time goes fast. :p

Mzo

The Saturn gods smiled upon our local place. Someone dumped an impressive Saturn collection and it is getting torn apart by our vulture asses.

My chunk of flesh included Shining Force III and Dragon Force.

The Saturn gods smiled upon our local place. Someone dumped an impressive Saturn collection and it is getting torn apart by our vulture asses.

Remind me of when a friend that was working at a Gamecrazy called to tell me there was a complete copy of PDS for sale at another Gamecrazy across town for $30. He was at work and couldn't snag it, so he gave me a shot. I drive there, and just as Im walking in the door a kid has it in his hands and was paying for it. I was pretty bummed, but saw that there were complete copies of Burning Rangers and Dragon Force as well. Snagged those up quick.

Defunkled

How much did you pay for each, if you don't mind me asking?

Mzo

We settled on $100 each, but I did get 20% off at the register as usual for a big purchase at his place and a free CIB Genesis Mercs! Not bad.

The best part is that he got Psychic Killer Torumaru for himself. Gonna have to try it out next time I'm over at his place.

IrishNinja

^id ask you to take me, but i want retro-GAF to know i had Shining Force III in my hands and Mzo punched me right in the face & rang it up. shit was cold-blooded.

IrishNinja

was working a double shift but fair's fair haha

wish i could get him to come down on Burning Rangers but honestly, it goes for stupid $ right now so i can't bitch. it's an amazing haul though.

woodypop

We settled on $100 each, but I did get 20% off at the register as usual for a big purchase at his place and a free CIB Genesis Mercs! Not bad.
Speaking of Mercs, the Saturn version (on Capcom Generations 4) has 3-player co-op. I wish SEGA had done the same with Gain Ground and produced a 3-player port, like in the arcade. I'd kill for that.

IrishNinja

I'm more pissed that no one bothered to tell me!

they did you a favor - honestly, you & newt buying up saturn & TG16 games right now is crazy. those scenes are terrible right now.

Speaking of Mercs, the Saturn version (on Capcom Generations 4) has 3-player co-op. I wish SEGA had done the same with Gain Ground and produced a 3-player port, like in the arcade. I'd kill for that.

holy crap, didn't know that! pretty cool, gonna have to look for that one.

Bar81

holy crap, didn't know that! pretty cool, gonna have to look for that one.

It's a really good port of the PCB (I have both), but neither compare to the pure awesome sauce that's in the Genny's original mode (I guess unless you have three people that want to play at the same time).

Teknoman

Isnt Psychic Killer supposed to be stupid expensive?

^id ask you to take me, but i want retro-GAF to know i had Shining Force III in my hands and Mzo punched me right in the face & rang it up. shit was cold-blooded.

Man now I want a Retro GAF logo for avatars or something. I see Peagles has Retro RGB club, but i mean something for all corners of Retro GAF.

Mzo

I'd love EAR, but that's higher than I'm comfortable paying for it.

If that means I'll never have it, so be it.

RAIDEN1

Just read a feature on Edge, about the 32x, and was surprised to hear that it was better at handling 3d, and was more easier to program for than the Saturn! Some say that had the Saturn had the same architecture as the 32x, but instead with the CD-Drive, it may have fared a lot better than the bombshell it ended up being..

Think anyone would trade Rockman X4 (Or Megaman X4 would be nice) complete for Legend of Oasis complete?

That sounds like an uneven trade. MMX4 is pretty valuable.

Just read a feature on Edge, about the 32x, and was surprised to hear that it was better at handling 3d, and was more easier to program for than the Saturn! Some say that had the Saturn had the same architecture as the 32x, but instead with the CD-Drive, it may have fared a lot better than the bombshell it ended up being..

I wouldn't doubt it was easier to program for, but no 3D game on the 32X could ever meet the graphical parity of titles like VF2 on the Saturn. Sounds like Edge is full of shit there.

Celine

32X sure wasn't better than Saturn at handling 3D.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I dunno why, but it's honestly depressing to see Saturn prices these days. I guess I lucked out when I became interested in the Saturn when I did. I bought mine in late 2008, along with Mega Man X4, Mega Man 8, PD Zwei, Guardian Heroes, and some others. Doing that now would likely be... unpleasant.

Glad I wised up to the system, though. Prior to buying one, I'd only ever played one a few times at a friend's house, like a decade prior.

I lusted after Saturn since the Game Fan days, but back then I had to make do with a 3DO and PS1, lol. Finally got mine in 2005 for $10 at a goodwill, and I'm also lucky I knocked out my major wants shortly thereafter.

woodypop

I lusted after Saturn since the Game Fan days, but back then I had to make do with a 3DO and PS1, lol. Finally got mine in 2005 for $10 at a goodwill, and I'm also lucky I knocked out my major wants shortly thereafter.
So I have to ask: how much did you pay for that 3DO?

I remember playing the demo kiosks, and kind of wanted one, but $700 was too rich for my blood. =P

Grandparents gave it to me as a gift, so I'm not sure. It was probably clearanced though, as it was late in the system's life and this was the top-loading FZ-10. Nowhere near retail I'd imagine.

Top Bottom