• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Got myself another game from Japan unexpectedly because I didn't think I'd win it for so low. That Dragonball Z Legends game. Won my bid for 6 dollars plus free shipping.

woodypop

Picked up the latest issue of Retro Gamer at the newsstand over the weekend
2EAD0A79-1287-44E7-8C61-5BCDAECDD49C_zpslul5f9kk.jpg

They had the results of their Top 25 Saturn Games as decided by the readers. Figured I'd share:

25. Panzer Dragoon
24. Sonic R
23. Soukyugurentai
22. Shining Force III
21. Die Hard Arcade
20. Duke Nukem 3D
19. Saturn Bomberman
18. Mass Destruction
17. Burning Rangers
16. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
15. Galactic Attack / Layer Section
14. Athlete Kings / Decathlete
13. Virtua Cop 2
12. Exhumed / PowerSlave
11. Daytona USA
10. Virtua Fighter 2
09. Street Fighter Alpha 2
08. Virtua Cop
07. Baku Baku
06. Radiant Silvergun
05. Fighters Megamix
04. Panzer Dragoon Saga
03. Guardian Heroes
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams
01. Sega Rally Championship

Impressed that the whole PD trilogy made it on the list. Find it odd that Virtua Cop managed to best its sequel, but that may have to do with the fact it was included in the 3 Free Games promotion, and therefore had more exposure.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

I'm wrapping up my Sega Saturn collection for sure. Not sure what games I may or may not buy later, but I think I'm mostly done. I think I've got a good mix of local US games and imports.

Click here for the full album.

The three blank Jewel Cases are just Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA from the pack in 3-in-1 box there. The games with the Japanese spines are Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Saturn Bomberman, Vampire Savior, and X-Men vs Street Fighter, respectively. The spine you can't see up top is Astal.

cj_iwakura

They had the results of their Top 25 Saturn Games as decided by the readers. Figured I'd share:

25. Panzer Dragoon
24. Sonic R
23. Soukyugurentai
22. Shining Force III
21. Die Hard Arcade
20. Duke Nukem 3D
19. Saturn Bomberman
18. Mass Destruction
17. Burning Rangers
16. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
15. Galactic Attack / Layer Section
14. Athlete Kings / Decathlete
13. Virtua Cop 2
12. Exhumed / PowerSlave
11. Daytona USA
10. Virtua Fighter 2
09. Street Fighter Alpha 2
08. Virtua Cop
07. Baku Baku
06. Radiant Silvergun
05. Fighters Megamix
04. Panzer Dragoon Saga
03. Guardian Heroes
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams
01. Sega Rally Championship

Impressed that the whole PD trilogy made it on the list. Find it odd that Virtua Cop managed to best its sequel, but that may have to do with the fact it was included in the 3 Free Games promotion, and therefore had more exposure.

How the hell is Dragon Force not on there?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Or Legend of Oasis (aka Story of Thor 2). Sega Rally as #1, WTF? That's funny.

Really surprised to see Powerslave there though, that's pretty cool actually.

So, I'm gonna region-mod my PAL Saturn. How does it fare with 60hz content?

Only problem I've found is playing any optimized PAL games (Sega Rally, Sonic Jam and a few others) in 60Hz is that they chop a bit of the screen off at the bottom.

Any NTSC games play absolutely fine though (Using RGB Scart cable on mine).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this PowerSlave I got was pricey. Wish it didn't have to be that way but I got it complete. Less than $60 or $70 thankfully.

Mikhal

Just found out the original devs made an unofficial CD-R patch called LimitOver for Asuka 120% Limited after the team disbanded. You don't see that too often. I wonder how much the original disc goes for!

LimitOver_Burning_Fest_SS_Sell.jpg

Following the release of 'Limited' on Sega Saturn in 1997, members of the original development team got together to create this unofficial CD-R patch disc. The gameplay is tweaked even further, and the 'Story Mode' is removed, replaced by an all-new 'Death Match Mode'. Now a very, very rare item, very sought after by collectors.

Tain

How would people run that on a Saturn? Was it really made for modchips? That seems really wild.

edit: I misunderstood, I thought this disc was released in 1997, not the original game. Still, it looks like the disc was released in 2000. Pretty interesting.

I remember hearing about Limit Over in Insert Credit's best games ever podcast. A true oddity for sure. Do you know why they patched Limited (Saturn) and not the last official game, Final (PS1)? Perhaps Final was by another team?

Edit: looks like Limit Over was 1998 and Final came out afterward in 1999. If the original team disbanded, then Final must have been done by another team.

Mercutio

So I've got a funky little cable I'm sure someone here will want. It's a Saturn to XRGB Mini RGB input; basically a Japanese RGB 21 cable minus the SCART connectors. It's a little short (only about a foot long) but I no longer need it as I'm using only the SCART connectors now. The picture is amazing, and if you've got an XRGB Mini this might be perfect for you.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Mikhal

How would people run that on a Saturn? Was it really made for modchips? That seems really wild.

edit: I misunderstood, I thought this disc was released in 1997, not the original game. Still, it looks like the disc was released in 2000. Pretty interesting.
The patch disc came out in 1998. I'm not aware of any mod chips for Saturn back in those days so maybe they used a swap trick?

I remember hearing about Limit Over in Insert Credit's best games ever podcast. A true oddity for sure. Do you know why they patched Limited (Saturn) and not the last official game, Final (PS1)? Perhaps Final was by another team?

Edit: looks like Limit Over was 1998 and Final came out afterward in 1999. If the original team disbanded, then Final must have been done by another team.
Final (and Return for PC) was done by Success after the team went bankrupt. I read somewhere that had the original devs not go bankrupt, they would have ported Asuka 120% to the arcade ST-V format using the Saturn version as the base. Perhaps Limit Over was the result of that? The game's designer later went on to help with Phantom Breaker.

GulAtiCa

You know you have a problem when you buy new games to help fill up your Saturn collection and you accidentally buy 2 Saturn games (not cheap either) you already own! :lol...

Bought Enemy Zero and Resident Evil CIB games without realizing I already owned those 2. heh. At least this new Enemy Zero game box/etc is in better shape then what I had.

GulAtiCa

Not a bad idea, though in this case I bought these (and other saturn games) while out on the phone.

I should prob use google docs in that case.

woodypop

Many collectors keep a spreadsheet or something so they don't re-buy shit they already own. Consider doing that.

Not a bad idea, though in this case I bought these (and other saturn games) while out on the phone.

I should prob use google docs in that case.
Yup, that's exactly what I do! (But a duplicate will still sneak in once in a while when I don't have cell service, or my phone with me).

I don't keep a list of anything besides the number of games I own (not the names of them) and I've never bought duplicates. I've got well over a thousand games. I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone can buy a game they already own without realizing it. Heh.

Well, I do actually own multiple copies of certain games, but that's either because one didn't work when I bought it or stopped working after a while, or because they're different from the other version I owned in some way (altered ports, director's cuts, etcetera), or because I got them for free or something. I have both the 3 Free Games and the retail version of Virtua Fighter 2, for instance. I bought the retail release first, and got the other for a penny at Toys "Я" Us because I didn't have the original version of Daytona USA or Virtua Cop, so I ended up with two copies of Virtua Fighter 2.

woodypop

I use Backloggery myself.
How detailed does Backloggery get? For me, the advantage of keeping a spreadsheet is that I can keep track of manuals, boxes/cases, spine cards, regions, etc.
I don't keep a list of anything besides the number of games I own (not the names of them) and I've never bought duplicates. I've got well over a thousand games. I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone can buy a game they already own without realizing it. Heh.
Without a list, it's super easy for me to buy a duplicate, especially when I'm considering the same game on a different platform. Like I know I already have Nam 1975, but is it on MVS or NGCD? One glance at my spreadsheet and I've got my answer.

Without a list, it's super easy for me to buy a duplicate, especially when I'm considering the same game on a different platform. Like I know I already have Nam 1975, but is it on MVS or NGCD? One glance at my spreadsheet and I've got my answer.

Maybe I just have a really good memory. I never forget what I have. Hah.

Well, I do actually own multiple copies of certain games, but that's either because one didn't work when I bought it or stopped working after a while, or because they're different from the other version I owned in some way (altered ports, director's cuts, etcetera), or because I got them for free or something. I have both the 3 Free Games and the retail version of Virtua Fighter 2, for instance. I bought the retail release first, and got the other for a penny at Toys "Я" Us because I didn't have the original version of Daytona USA or Virtua Cop, so I ended up with two copies of Virtua Fighter 2.

Yeah same. I think it can be more because I don't really buy games just to have them in a collection, I buy games with intent and reason so when that intent is filled I no longer have a reason to think of that particular game when buying more stuff.

This isn't to say that collectors are a bad thing, or I'm looking down on that, it's just that even though I have a ton of games I don't really consider myself a collector. I've never bought a game that I don't have the intent of playing/beating/going though the manual of.

A completely personal feeling of mine, but I'm guessing Shining Force III on here is Scenario One only, because as a whole the trilogy deserves to be much higher on this list.

Dat synchronicity system.

Thanks God for the English patches for Scenario's 2 and 3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A completely personal feeling of mine, but I'm guessing Shining Force III on here is Scenario One only, because as a whole the trilogy deserves to be much higher on this list.

Dat synchronicity system.

Thanks God for the English patches for Scenario's 2 and 3.
Indeed.

I still need to play Scenario 3. But my disc swapping trick doesn't work anymore. It worked for a while and then I got disc read errors. :( I think I'll just start over and play them all on emulator...

Celine

Or Legend of Oasis (aka Story of Thor 2). Sega Rally as #1, WTF? That's funny.

Really surprised to see Powerslave there though, that's pretty cool actually.
Sega Rally at #1 is a perfectly acceptable decision/result.

Powerslave is indeed great, still laughs thinking Gamespot.com/videogames.com scored the game a 5 out of 10.

ZealousD

How detailed does Backloggery get? For me, the advantage of keeping a spreadsheet is that I can keep track of manuals, boxes/cases, spine cards, regions, etc.

Backloggery is geared more towards completionists than collectors, so notes on condition or value aren't really there. Region is an option though.

GulAtiCa

I generally have good memory when it comes to buying stuff retro stuff that isn't niche/etc. But occasionally I have a moment where I keep an eye out for a certain game I want for a while, and eventually get it. Then once some time passes, I start looking for games, and notice the game I was looking for! Forgetting the whole time I already got it. :lol

Really should update my backloggery

Peagles

I figure the Saturn crowd will be more knowledgable... I've never played Symphony of the Night, should I play it on Saturn or PS1?

ZealousD

I figure the Saturn crowd will be more knowledgable... I've never played Symphony of the Night, should I play it on Saturn or PS1?

PS1. It's better graphically and performance-wise. Saturn version has stetching, slowdown, greater loading times, etc. It also has extra content but the added stuff isn't really that good.

Peagles

If I love it, and I'm sure I will, I'll have to grab a Saturn copy too at some point.

Last question to you SOTN knowledgeable folk. PSP version? How is it? Can I be bothered to unlock it?

Run like shit, look like shit = shit

There's no reason to buy the Saturn version.

PSP SotN is OK. Maria plays differently than her Saturn version, there's a new improved translation but there are fewer screen options than the PSN PSOne classic version when playing on PS1 IIRC.

I could have bought Soul Hackers on the PS1, but I love having an SMT Saturn game. I'm sure some Castlevania fans feel the same way.

That's fair.

If you are a Saturn fan and want to play SotN on Saturn, please do so. Just never play the Playstation version afterward so you don't realize you wasted your money.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If I love it, and I'm sure I will, I'll have to grab a Saturn copy too at some point.

Last question to you SOTN knowledgeable folk. PSP version? How is it? Can I be bothered to unlock it?
It's pretty good. Mostly the same as the PS1 version really, except with Maria (not the same version of Maria as the Saturn one, no additional levels either) and without the goofy translation. Besides you get Dracula X, both original and the 2.5D remake, so it's a good purchase for your PSP either way.

I bought Dracula X for the Dracula X, and it was too hard for me so I ended up mostly replaying SotN after all... :D

IrishNinja

I could have bought Soul Hackers on the PS1, but I love having an SMT Saturn game. I'm sure some Castlevania fans feel the same way.

no, you must never buy ports of anything ever if a better one exists elsewhere
it's why i don't fuck with most 16-bit games, i just save up for arcade cabinets and refit them with OLED screens

cj_iwakura

It's pretty good. Mostly the same as the PS1 version really, except with Maria (not the same version of Maria as the Saturn one, no additional levels either) and without the goofy translation. Besides you get Dracula X, both original and the 2.5D remake, so it's a good purchase for your PSP either way.

I bought Dracula X for the Dracula X, and it was too hard for me so I ended up mostly replaying SotN after all... :D

Wonder how many people bought that for SotN and had no idea how to unlock it, heh.

Top Bottom