• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Bulk Slash isn't glued, it's a defect caused by the embossed cover. "Fixed" in the Satakore release by just having a foldout poster-style insert for the manual.

Spades

My Saturn arrived today! What's a reasonable price to pay for the 3D control pad? I presume it can be used for all Saturn games, but the stick only works for specific ones?

My Saturn arrived today! What's a reasonable price to pay for the 3D control pad? I presume it can be used for all Saturn games, but the stick only works for specific ones?

That's correct, and if your game doesn't recognize the controller at all, there is a switch on it so it's recognized as a regular 2D pad.

Back when surugaya-too shipped internationally, you could get the controller for about $11-$15 USD. It seems other retailers price it quite a bit higher unfortunately.

Spades

That's correct, and if your game doesn't recognize the controller at all, there is a switch on it so it's recognized as a regular 2D pad.

Back when surugaya-too shipped internationally, you could get the controller for about $11-$15 USD. It seems other retailers price it quite a bit higher unfortunately.

Thanks man. There is a nice white one on eBay for £15 shipped from Japan. Seems worth it based on what you just said?

Timu

I just discovered the Saturn import section and I'm in love now, lol, there's quite a bit of imports I want increasing the collection even further than I thought. I'll get around starting the Sega Saturn collection sometime this summer.

I just discovered the Saturn import section and I'm in love now, lol, there's quite a bit of imports I want increasing the collection even further than I thought. I'll get around starting the Sega Saturn collection sometime this summer.

lol, Saturn import scene is rivaled only by TG16/PCE in terms of awesome shit we never got.

I prefer Japanese games to US ones not just because they got so many more and better games than we did but also because our cases were bullshit. Why didn't they use jewel cases?

I prefer Japanese games to US ones not just because they got so many more and better games than we did but also because our cases were bullshit. Why didn't they use jewel cases?

probably to differentiate from other platforms and media

and I assume they had plenty of stock from Sega CD

Awesome thread! I still have my Sega Saturn and all my games. I was always a big fan of this console. I have about 30-40 games. Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon, Clockwork Knight, Nights into Dream, etc... Love this thing.

KC-Slater

I recall reading it was because Sega was concerned with retail visibility on store shelves, so they opted for those case-monstrosities.

I worked at a Mom-&-Pop video rental store in high school, and I remember the hinges on those cases basically exploding with one fall the shelf.

(BTW I've been lurking around this thread for a while -- first post in here!)

Defunkled

It's always a bummer when I find a good Saturn game in the wild only to look closer and see that the case is totally trashed. It might just be me but it's getting harder and harder to find cheap sports games (in good condition) that I can use to swap cases.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is there a trick to keeping the internal Saturn battery to last longer? I sometimes forget to play mine for months and i find the battery is dead and my saves are gone.

Khaz

For a moment I thought it would allow to play burnt copies without swapping, but it seems it would instead load an iso from an SD. Mildly disappointing, it's good as it means our consoles will still be useful when the CD drive will inevitably fail, but on the other hand i like popping my CDs in, it gives me more sense than choosing from a massive virtual library onscreen. Popping the cartridge/cd in is part of the ritual, to commit yourself to playing more than a few minutes.

Credo

lol, Saturn import scene is rivaled only by TG16/PCE in terms of awesome shit we never got.

Since I already asked this in the PS1 thread, what are some import Saturn games that can be enjoyed by non-Japanese speakers? I already imported all the shooters, so I've got that covered.

Since I already asked this in the PS1 thread, what are some import Saturn games that can be enjoyed by non-Japanese speakers? I already imported all the shooters, so I've got that covered.

Necronomicon - good pinball game
Puyo Puyo Sun - good puzzle game
Vampire Savior, Groove On Fight X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Asuka 120% Limited Burning Fest, Street Fighter Zero 3, any fighting game really.

Mercutio

There are a lot of amazing platformers. There's a Tempo game that totally rocks, I think it's called Super Tempo? And of course Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru... which I'd actually say is almost worth the money people pay for it now. Incredibly fun 2UP game.

No matter what though, do not let anyone talk you into Tryrush Deppy.

Bulk Slash is awesome though.

Slermy

Vampire Savior, Groove On Fight X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Asuka 120% Limited Burning Fest, Street Fighter Zero 3, any fighting game really.

It's worth pointing out that Necronomicon also is one of the highest resolutions Saturn games. It looks really sharp!

Maybe, but in terms of sheer numbers, I think that the PS1 and PS2 probably have the most games that were only released in Japan...

Certainly. There are about 11,000 unique PS2 games in Japan. I'm not sure most GAF posters are interested in obscure 5000 copy production run visual novels though.

Bar81

Some of these have been mentioned:

D&D Collection
Taito Chase HQ Plus SCI
Elevator Action Returns
Super Tempo
Bulk Slash
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru

D&D collection has a much better port on Gen7 consoles and Steam. I'd recommend picking it up elsewhere, especially with the ridiculous pricetag on the Saturn version.

Bar81

D&D collection has a much better port on Gen7 consoles and Steam. I'd recommend picking it up elsewhere, especially with the ridiculous pricetag on the Saturn version.

The US X360 and PS3 ports don't hold a candle to the SS version. I think the JP PS3 version is supposed to be better though (done by some of the original team members).

The US X360 and PS3 ports don't hold a candle to the SS version. I think the JP PS3 version is supposed to be better though (done by some of the original team members).

Doesn't hold a candle?

lol, the Saturn version has to pause mid-action to load new areas (even with the 4M cart) and only supports 2 player. It's a poorly optimized version of the game and the gen7/Steam versions shit on it from high.

Bar81

Doesn't hold a candle?

lol, the Saturn version has to pause mid-action to load new areas (even with the 4M cart) and only supports 2 player. It's a poorly optimized version of the game and the gen7/Steam versions shit on it from high.

If your only criteria are that it supports over two players and doesn't have any loading time, then you're right. If your concern is which is a better port of the arcade game, then you're wrong.

Agree to disagree. I mean, like all the Saturn CPS2 ports, the Saturn version doesn't even display the graphics in their intended aspect ratio (sprites are too wide). It's simply not as good a port.

Yabuase doesn't seem to run my Saturn games very well even though I have a decent rig (i5 4670k) and it doesn't seem to support filters (scanlines), so I tried to download the latest version of SSF but that will not load at all. I know that it is supposed to open in a small window (which it does) but after about 1-2 seconds it closes back to the desktop with no error message.

I'm running Windows 8 and everything is up to date on my system. I've tried running SSF in compatibility for all OSes available (8, 7, Vista, XP, etc) but no dice.

I know this isn't SSF tech support, but has anyone else had problems getting it to run or can think of something I could try?

Top Bottom