• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

People are god damn crazy. Hey I know, lets bid Bomberman up to $40 over what a currently running buy it now has it listed as. There was a bunch of auctions ending today from the same seller that got hit hard for way too high of prices. Thought I would be able to get at least one but nope.

*sigh* this is why retro gaming is becoming some ol' bullshit, right here. bomberman got stupid real quick.

still holding out for a disc-only deal one day, but ill likely cave & just get the JP one at this rate, god knows the bomberman multitaps i want go for more anyway.

*sigh* this is why retro gaming is becoming some ol' bullshit, right here. bomberman got stupid real quick.

still holding out for a disc-only deal one day, but ill likely cave & just get the JP one at this rate, god knows the bomberman multitaps i want go for more anyway.

Fun fact: A NA bomberman and the bomb face multitap together sold for less a few weeks ago then the bomberman that sold alone today went for. Same condition it looked like, and I passed on that one for being too expensive. I don't know what happened.

dock

I played a good amount of 6 player Street Racer on my Saturn. I didn't have 8 controllers or a second multitap at the time. Such a weird blend of 2D sprites and 3D polygons in that game.

I'm pretty heartbroken at how poorly my Sega Saturn displays via SCART on my new Bravia TV. My 2005 Samsung HDTV did a great job of displaying the Saturn, but this new TV murders the signal so much. I can't bring myself to pay for a XRGB Mini, however, because the Saturn is my only 'retro' console. :(

AlpacaMyBags

Neo Member
Hey all,

I'm new to NeoGaf and I really like the Saturn & this thread, so I thought I would post here. I got my Saturn about a year ago. It's the US Model 2, but I also have the Action Replay cart to play import games. The Saturn always interested me when I was younger, but I never got one. It's pretty cool to see how well the games on the system have held up (at least the ones that I have played). I have a small collection of games (mostly import), and I tend to add to it every few months. I'm not super versed on the Saturn library as a whole, but this thread has definitely has helped me find games to buy!

My Saturn is kind of dusty because I haven't had a chance to play it in awhile. I use SCART for output from the console and a SCART to Component converter to output to my TV.
I3MD0cL.jpg
Here is my game collection:

I think my favorites are Darius Gaiden, Soukyugurentai, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, but I really like all the games I own.

The Saturn is definitely one of my favorite consoles of all time. It has a certain niche appeal to it.

Tain

Thanks Khaz. That breaks it down a bit. But how do you explain games that were not designed to run at anything other than 30fps, yet running at a smooth 60fps on the emulator and yet the speed of the gameplay is exactly normal and NOT too fast?

I have heard about this being possible on a few of the PSP games running in PPSSPP emu, but they are few and far between. With the Saturn however, nearly every game I've tried runs at a smooth 60fps and they all play at their normal game speed. They're not sped up in any way.

How is this possible when they were made to run at 30fps on the real machine?

Honestly, I think you're just mistaken with the bolded. The emulator is reporting 60 images per second, but half of those images are repeated. In practice, the game is only rendering a new frame every other screen refresh, thus 30fps. Same as on original hardware.

If a Saturn game in an emulator is rendering a legit 60fps (as in, not just reported by the emulator, but perceptually showing 60 new images per second) and it runs at 30fps on the real hardware, it's either 1) running at double speed or 2) the game is legitimately built for varying framerates and the emulator is effectively emulating an overclocked Saturn. That second possibility is, like, 99.9999% not the case.

Defunkled

I won a copy of Panzer Dragoon II Zwei on eBay last Tuesday but I have a feeling I will be filing a claim soon. I messaged the seller a few days ago but haven't gotten a response. This basically says that the shipping label has been created but the post office hasn't even received it, right?

IrishNinja

i know ive asked this but for JP bomberman, which is the good one? i see wars, fight, and another...it's time i just settle on importing i think

*edit FUCK IT beat-up copy was $18 shipped & i'm drunk woooooooooo

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You should have got the Satakore version just so someone could confirm whether or not the extra content from the western versions got back-ported to it.

I won a copy of Panzer Dragoon II Zwei on eBay last Tuesday but I have a feeling I will be filing a claim soon. I messaged the seller a few days ago but haven't gotten a response. This basically says that the shipping label has been created but the post office hasn't even received it, right?
It's possible, but highly unlikely it's trucking along and it simply hasn't have been scanned. I've seen a few instances where a package doesn't get scanned until delivery. But that's first class mail and should have arrived by now.

Wouldn't hurt to open a case shortly if he remains unresponsive.

Sixfortyfive

oh yeahhh i did see that, hated the cover art. i'm sure if i ask/look around online i can sort out if it had more levels.
Not really. The code to access them isn't commonly known.

I had never known that the original JP release had less content until I checked myself.

robot

Hey all,

I think my favorites are Darius Gaiden, Soukyugurentai, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, but I really like all the games I own.

The Saturn is definitely one of my favorite consoles of all time. It has a certain niche appeal to it.

Nice collection! I just started collecting JPN Saturn games again now that I got a framemeister/RGB cables. Recently grabbed Groove on Fight and Layer Section 1/2. I think next few games are a legit copy of Outrun, then Burning Rangers even though I know it's aged terribly lol. I think I mostly want it for that awesome opening song lol.

AlpacaMyBags

Neo Member
Nice collection! I just started collecting JPN Saturn games again now that I got a framemeister/RGB cables. Recently grabbed Groove on Fight and Layer Section 1/2. I think next few games are a legit copy of Outrun, then Burning Rangers even though I know it's aged terribly lol. I think I mostly want it for that awesome opening song lol.

Thanks! I'm jealous of your framemeister, haha. I'd love to get one of those, but it's too expensive for me right now, especially since I'm saving to upgrade my gaming PC.

I just looked up Groove on Fight and it looks pretty cool. Did Range Murata do the art/character designs for that game? It looks just like his style.

Yeah, Burning Rangers didn't age too great. It seems like it was probably really impressive for its time and the basic gameplay is cool, but the controls/camera controls are pretty bad and make it difficult to play nowadays. The intro movie/music will forever be awesome, though.

Speaking of awesome intros (in this case, so bad that it's awesome), the Saturn version of Vandal Hearts had a CG intro that I believe wasn't included in the Playstation version. It's....something.

http://youtu.be/PJMqMlSTii8

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to order from this one person again. Complete Street Fighter Alpha 2 for half of what it usually goes for.

Teknoman

Same happened to me with Grandia Xtreme recently. He said the post office must've lost it or something...

Sucks because I got it complete for like 11 bucks. Seems strange that he didnt contact the post office the first time I asked.

My poor Sega Saturn died yesterday :*(

Bought the action replay to keep my save files (got tired of changing batteries), and it just didn't work. The system turned on, but did nothing.

Now I have to find a replacement.

Sixfortyfive

wait so it's known that there's a code to restore the lost content, and you just want it verified?
No. By default, you only have access to daytime versions of each stage. By putting in a code (hold X+Y+Z at stage select until you hear a chime), you can cycle up and down to choose different variations of each stage, represented by different times of the day. Each variation comes with a specific item set, and most variations change the stage-specific gimmicks in some way. For example, someone familiar with only the daytime versions of each stage would think that the Bead Bomb item and the Merger item (some of the most useful items in the game, and specific to Saturn Bomberman if I'm not mistaken) are only available on the Space Colony stage, when in fact they do appear on some of the alternate versions of the other stages, including one of the alternates for the wide stage.

The original JP release has 3 total variations of each stage. The western releases have 4. I've considered hunting down the Satakore version to see if the extra stages were ported over to that version of the game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
oh you guys are talking about Bomberman. I had to follow the quote chain back SIX times before any of you said the name of the game :mad:

/edit/ and then i see that 645 said it in the first post i was reading. blarf

Celine

Hey all,

I'm new to NeoGaf and I really like the Saturn & this thread, so I thought I would post here. I got my Saturn about a year ago. It's the US Model 2, but I also have the Action Replay cart to play import games. The Saturn always interested me when I was younger, but I never got one. It's pretty cool to see how well the games on the system have held up (at least the ones that I have played). I have a small collection of games (mostly import), and I tend to add to it every few months. I'm not super versed on the Saturn library as a whole, but this thread has definitely has helped me find games to buy!

My Saturn is kind of dusty because I haven't had a chance to play it in awhile. I use SCART for output from the console and a SCART to Component converter to output to my TV.

Oh, another Saturn user with Solo Crisis!
You seems to like RPG, one day I will buy Tengai Makyou IVth Apocalypse (it's really cheap but I know that I well never complete it, same as Tengai Makyou 2 which i have for PCE).

My poor Sega Saturn died yesterday :*(

Bought the action replay to keep my save files (got tired of changing batteries), and it just didn't work. The system turned on, but did nothing.

Now I have to find a replacement.
What's wrong with it?
Do you see the menu but can't run the game?

BTails

So, does anyone have Capcom Generations vol 2 (Ghosts 'n Goblins collection)? I'm thinking it might be the best way to get all three games on home console, though I'm curious about the emulation of Super GnG, as well as difficulty (Does it give you too many continues, not enough, etc?).

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks!

Oh, another Saturn user with Solo Crisis!
You seems to like RPG, one day I will buy Tengai Makyou IVth Apocalypse (it's really cheap but I know that I well never complete it, same as Tengai Makyou 2 which i have for PCE).

What's wrong with it?
Do you see the menu but can't run the game?

No menu and no disc spinning :(

So, does anyone have Capcom Generations vol 2 (Ghosts 'n Goblins collection)? I'm thinking it might be the best way to get all three games on home console, though I'm curious about the emulation of Super GnG, as well as difficulty (Does it give you too many continues, not enough, etc?).

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks!

I remember hearing that Capcom Generations vol 2 is better on PS1 because it runs Choumakaimura in the correct aspect ratio.
Whether you get it on PS1 or Saturn, Choumakaimura (Super GnG) is harder since it doesn't have the crippling slowdown of the Super Famicom version.

AlpacaMyBags

Neo Member
No menu and no disc spinning :(

Hmm, does the power LED light up at all? If it doesn't, it may be either a power supply or power cable issue. I'd try using a different power cable (you could probably use a Dreamcast or PS2 power cable as a means to test) to see if it will boot up.

I'm sorry to hear about your Saturn not working though. :(

Khaz

I remember hearing that Capcom Generations vol 2 is better on PS1 because it runs Choumakaimura in the correct resolution.
Whether you get it on PS1 or Saturn, Choumakaimura (Super GnG) is harder since it doesn't have the crippling slowdown of the Super Famicom version.

Actually both Saturn and PS1 run it in the correct resolution. The problem lies with the resolution itself. The super Nintendo used a strange resolution ratio resulting in horizontally elongated pixels. The PS1 can display this resolution fullscreen, but the Saturn can't, resulting in a squished picture with vertical black bars.

The Saturn wasn't the only one with such a problem. Almost every game designed for the SNES and ported to other platforms suffered the same. For example Blackthorne on PC and 32X added an inventory column to compensate for the squished graphics, and the 32X redrew the sprites. You can also see it on Zombies ate my neighbours. Similarly, Earthworm Jim suddenly got fatter when ported from the Megadrive to the SNES. Incidentally every screenshot taken from an emulator and rendered with square pixels will have an incorrect ratio.

Fixed my post. I meant aspect ratio instead of resolution. Coming to think of it, the Salamander Deluxe Pack is the same way. That's one to get on Playstation as well.

Yeah, the NES/SNES were kinda weird like that. What you'd normally think of being displayed like
smasbadaspectnrdo2.png

should actually be more like
smasgoodaspect12dok.png

The same's kinda true for DOS screenshots, too. It's not supposed to be raw 320x200, which looks like
doombadaspectc2fbz.png

it's more like 320x240, which looks like
doomgoodaspectufini.png

Note how the Doomguy's head looks more naturally-shaped in the correct aspect ratio. Obviously Photoshop's blurring the image a bit, but that wouldn't have been an issue on old CRT monitors.

Anyway, somewhat related to that whole "is SSF rendering things at 60FPS" talk, a recent pick-up of mine, Tempest 2000, sure as hell runs at a smooth 60. I'd say it's impressive, but then, it is mostly wireframe stuffs. The menus are kinda painful to look at, though, running at what has to be sub-10FPS. It's a good thing the game is smooth where it counts, but not the best presentation when you put your foot forward with that!

BTails

Thanks for the heads up everyone! The good thing is that the Playstation version seems to be $20 across the board. And since my PSX is mod-chipped, it'll run fine.

Now, to wait until next pay day...

Komo

Banned
Saturn arrived and it looks almost new! I'm really surprised, and I'm loving it so far. Everything seems to work perfectly, and I'm far more impressed than I expected. Although, the first game I played was Daytona USA (Found it at a thrift shop back in 2007 for $5 and have always wanted to try it), it was a little disappointing due to the framerate, but Championship Circuit Edition fixed that right up, and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt the same way about SEGA Touring Car, surprisingly. It's nowhere near as bad as people have been saying, imo. Gonna need to replace the clock battery, but otherwise I'm loving the system!

Question:
I've purchased an NTSC-J copy of Sonic R, and my system is PAL. Will the Hz difference affect/hinder the experience much? I really want to import more games if this goes well.

Khaz

Saturn arrived and it looks almost new! I'm really surprised, and I'm loving it so far. Everything seems to work perfectly, and I'm far more impressed than I expected. Although, the first game I played was Daytona USA (Found it at a thrift shop back in 2007 for $5 and have always wanted to try it), it was a little disappointing due to the framerate, but Championship Circuit Edition fixed that right up, and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt the same way about SEGA Touring Car, surprisingly. It's nowhere near as bad as people have been saying, imo. Gonna need to replace the clock battery, but otherwise I'm loving the system!

If you enjoy Daytona USA please give us your times! We're having sort of a permanent friendly competition between gaffers and it would be cool to include you! I'm tracking Sega Rally And Daytona USA, I guess we could add Touring Car if other people are willing too? I'll post a summary tomorrow anyway.

Question:
I've purchased an NTSC-J copy of Sonic R, and my system is PAL. Will the Hz difference affect/hinder the experience much? I really want to import more games if this goes well.

Define hinder.

Sonic R was not PAL-optimised when ported to Europe. Which means that if you play your Japanese copy in a genuine PAL console, you will get to experience the slow motion and black borders European players have always been experiencing with their European copy.

If you ask me, yes, 50Hz and black borders obectively hinder the experience. But subjectively to the European edition, no, your experience will be identical.

On the Saturn, and Sega consoles in general, the origin of the games matters less than the region of the console, in regards to optimal gaming conditions. There are quite a few big hitters that were PAL-optimised, with mixed results. Sega games are cool (at least their racing games), Earthworm Jim is too, but Tomb Raider isn't, for example.

I generally advise people to mod their console for 60Hz and get whatever localisation they want for non-PAL-optimised games as the product is essentially the same, and to get the NTSC (US/Jp) versions of PAL-optimised games. But if you don't want a switch, then get the PAL-optimised editions, they're the best you can get, most often still slower but with full screen at least and sped-up chiptunes if used.

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html

Teknoman

Anyone have experience with Amazon seller "AkihabaraGames"?

I ordered Silhouette Mirage from them on August 12th, and it says it shipped the day afterwards, yet i've received several other imports ordered afterwards already. I emailed them, and they said it shipped and will arrive within the estimated delivery time...but... thats Tuesday, September 9, 2014 - Tuesday, September 30, 2014... and its never taken this long for anything i've ordered from Japan to arrive.

I guess I can wait it out, but still...i'm 90% sure i'll just have to cancel and push for a refund.

IrishNinja

hmm, i may have as ive bought a number of things off JP amazon accounts with similar names...ive also had to wait pretty long before but you're right, it's been north of a month, damn

so how much you get it for bruh

Teknoman

hmm, i may have as ive bought a number of things off JP amazon accounts with similar names...ive also had to wait pretty long before but you're right, it's been north of a month, damn

so how much you get it for bruh

lol about 20 bucks after reward points, didnt think that would be one of the more sorta pricey games since it did have a english release....no matter how different.

Mzo

You are doing the lord's work, that game is fantastic.

Sometimes it takes 4 weeks to get shit from Japan. Sometimes it's there in 3-4 days and it's like how the fuck...

Timu

This is why I would prefer to do expedited shipping from places like Japan no matter the cost. I don't like waiting 2-4 weeks to get a game from far away. If standard is the only way then I would settle for it.

IrishNinja

haha, my cheap ass is the opposite...like, id love a deal like that on Mirage, and if it would take a season by freighter for like a buck, i'm gonna remind myself ive sat on this game since the late 90's & just feel surprised when it shows up

Anth0ny

haha, my cheap ass is the opposite...like, id love a deal like that on Mirage, and if it would take a season by freighter for like a buck, i'm gonna remind myself ive sat on this game since the late 90's & just feel surprised when it shows up

lol same here

I think I ordered my Super Famicom with free shipping and it showed up like 3 months later. I can definitely wait for retro stuff if it means cheaper shipping.

To keep this Saturn related... is it worth shelling out the extra money to play Nights with the 3D controller, or is it fine to just play it with the standard controller?

Top Bottom