• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mzo

Yeah, I've played both. It's also one of the few US PS games that fucks up on a PS2.

I don't remember having any issue with the translation at all.

blue_seed_j_front.jpg

Blue Seed Kushinadahirokuden

Any of you guys played this? Would love to see it fan translated someday. Looks like an awesome rpg.

Man, the Saturn had so many crazy good import games that never saw the light of day here :(

Oh dang, I remember seeing this anime late night on some cable channel

IrishNinja

a PS1 game that the PS3 (60 GB) can't play: Wu-Tang: Enter the Shaolin, shit freezes at the character select screen. tried several copies & systems.

Gunsmithx

This reminds me that I need to replay grandia 1 and 2. would love love love to take the saturn version for a spin though... one day

IrishNinja

cant let you do that, fox

you post PDS, you gotta post a price

mine was about $230, most ive paid for a game to date but i worked it in with a bundle that paid far better (Snatcher, Shining Force CD & others)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
What about the other versions of Grandia? Are any of them as good as the saturn one? Isn't there on on the DS or something?

$150

I got it from a guy who I've helped out a little bit in the past so he went a little lower than what he was originally looking for. In a perfect world, I always saw myself picking it up at a yard sale or Goodwill or something but I had a little extra cash and knew that I wouldn't find a better price from someone who knew what they had.

Since I've finished getting most of the big PS1 stuff I've thought about moving over to the Saturn because I've never really played anything on it before--the only game that I've ever played on the system is NiGHTS. I thought about jumping in back in '10 but even then I thought the prices were pretty prohibitive...and look where we are now!

It's just a matter of accepting that I'll be paying in the $80+ for a lot of the bigger RPGs, but I guess it balances out considering that there's not -that- much stuff for the system to begin with.

What about the other versions of Grandia? Are any of them as good as the saturn one? Isn't there on on the DS or something?

Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast/PS2 is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. The other ones on the PS2 aren't supposed to be that great, but I did pick up Grandia 3 as it at least looks pretty. There was a Japan-only Gameboy Color sequel as well, but no DS game.

cj_iwakura

Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast/PS2 is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. The other ones on the PS2 aren't supposed to be that great, but I did pick up Grandia 3 as it at least looks pretty. There was a Japan-only Gameboy Color sequel as well, but no DS game.

Grandia 2 is amazing, I wasn't a big fan of the first.

PS2 version is terrible, go DC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grandia 2 is amazing, I wasn't a big fan of the first.

PS2 version is terrible, go DC.
Yeah, I believe some Korean studio did the PC and PS2 conversions of Grandia II and completely screwed it up. Really awful port. The original Dreamcast version is the way to go.

I still think Grandia III is pretty good as well even with its faults.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I believe some Korean studio did the PC and PS2 conversions of Grandia II and completely screwed it up. Really awful port. The original Dreamcast version is the way to go.

I still think Grandia III is pretty good as well even with its faults.

XTreme's a lot of fun, too.

Ms. Tea

This got buried on the last page, so hope you don't mind if I ask again... does SSF support the Saturn MPEG card? I noticed the MPEG version of Lunar: SSS doesn't cost too much.

IrishNinja

It's just a matter of accepting that I'll be paying in the $80+ for a lot of the bigger RPGs, but I guess it balances out considering that there's not -that- much stuff for the system to begin with.

heh, i remember thinking that when i started out on the saturn, too
and congrats on that awesome price man!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wow....Layer Section is a pretty fucking rad bitchin shooter!!!

kimtish

Neo Member
I'm moving today and I was scrambling looking for my copy of Bulk Slash

Then I remembered I sold it last year for rent money :(

I'm sad guys.

IrishNinja

i love it, but i fondly recall playing the coin-op with friends at a local comic shop in the day. if you can get it on the cheap, it's worth it - i went with the JP version for the art & cause all my capcom fighters are JP anyway

just don't be a dick like my buddy & keep dropping snowballs as Iceman all day

I've posted in the BST thread a couple times with no bites yet.

I'm the market for a Saturn. Is eBay really the best bet these days?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've posted in the BST thread a couple times with no bites yet.

I'm the market for a Saturn. Is eBay really the best bet these days?

try local comix shops, craigslist and ebay. look everywhere before buying just in case you find a good deal, but generally a saturn with cables and a controller is $50

try local comix shops, craigslist and ebay. look everywhere before buying just in case you find a good deal, but generally a saturn with cables and a controller is $50

I have no idea, but the city I live in (which isn't small and has a pretty good college-age population) has no retro game stores and there is very little activity on CL. I visited a city about three hours away over the weekend and saw one in store for $40 there, but it looked pretty beat up. So, I kind of figured $40-$50 seemed to be the norm for a US console.

Is it the shipping that totally kills an import console? I plan to buy mostly imports to keep costs down, so buying a Japanese console isn't out of the question. It seems like the console itself would be cheaper considering how much popular it was in Japan.

My memory could be bad, but I think it wasn't and lovingly ported as other Capcom fighters. The American, Acclaim-published one anyway.

Yeah. It's still a decent port (and the Saturn version is the best home version), though it's not arcade perfect. Still worth picking up, though. It's not too expensive CIB. (I got mine for about $25 shipped a few years back)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I have no idea, but the city I live in (which isn't small and has a pretty good college-age population) has no retro game stores and there is very little activity on CL. I visited a city about three hours away over the weekend and saw one in store for $40 there, but it looked pretty beat up. So, I kind of figured $40-$50 seemed to be the norm for a US console.

Is it the shipping that totally kills an import console? I plan to buy mostly imports to keep costs down, so buying a Japanese console isn't out of the question. It seems like the console itself would be cheaper considering how much popular it was in Japan.

US saturn + action replay is cheaper than JP console

gelf

I actually prefer Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes over all the following Verses games. The Vs games are too frantic for me.

CoTA and MSH had some godlike level backgrounds. Sucked that they had to scale them back to account for the tag gameplay (At least for the CPS2 titles).

Magneto's stage in CoTA blew my mind back when I first played the game.

isamu

As for Japanese only games...

Game Paridise/Tengoku - odd shmup thats set in a video game arcade

This game......this fucking game......

IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit this game is fucking AWESOME TO THE MAX!!!! Period. End of story. Put a sock in it!!!!! We're done!!!!!! YOU GUYS NEED TO PLAY Game Tengoku - The Game Paradise. Best shmup BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!! Radiant who???

Raptomex

Does SSF work on Windows 8? I've installed the latest DX drivers. I launch it and nothing happens.

EDIT: I got it working and it runs great.

But when I apply the BIOS I get a pop-up that says "SSF???????". Is this normal?

T-0800

If I imported a Japanese Saturn to Australia what would I need to be able to plug it into the wall to power the thing?

Dwayne

If I imported a Japanese Saturn to Australia what would I need to be able to plug it into the wall to power the thing?

A transformer from jaycar, or a PAL Saturn and swap the power supplies over (but they have to be a matching model, not sure if there are different ones).

Top Bottom