• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

cireza

The power supply inside the Saturn is not necessarily the same size in all models. Later models in Japan have a smaller power supply built-in.

RiZ III

Got my svideo cable today. Went to plug it in and realized my tv doesn't support svideo -_- Luckily my other tv does but it's a shittier HDTV. O well. Decided to try out Dark Savior which I bought recently. Started out pretty neat. I liked the art style and mix of 3d and 2d. The controls in this game though...fuuuu almost threw my controller at the tv. And the music was awful. Had to turn down the volume completely.

Teknoman

Got my svideo cable today. Went to plug it in and realized my tv doesn't support svideo -_- Luckily my other tv does but it's a shittier HDTV. O well. Decided to try out Dark Savior which I bought recently. Started out pretty neat. I liked the art style and mix of 3d and 2d. The controls in this game though...fuuuu almost threw my controller at the tv. And the music was awful. Had to turn down the volume completely.

The battle music makes it better.

Raptomex

I just got an s-video cable as well. Games look amazing on my CRT TV.

Timu

jbv3y3NTgIOc68.jpg

Just got it today and it worked flawlessly with my scart to component converter. However the controller doesn't seem to work so I can't get past the title screen of any game, might as well get a new one, lol.

KC-Slater

Just got it today and it worked flawlessly with my scart to component converter. However the controller doesn't seem to work so I can't get past the title screen of any game, might as well get a new one, lol.

Can you please link to the component converter you are using? Is there any real benefit to going SCART to Component vs SCART to HDMI other than freeing up some HDMI real estate?

Timu

Can you please link to the component converter you are using? Is there any real benefit to going SCART to Component vs SCART to HDMI other than freeing up some HDMI real estate?
This one.

And the benefit of using scart to component over scart to hdmi is that it simply trancodes so it keeps the image quality the same unlike scart to hdmi which alters the image and can make it look worse with filters and such. I used to own a scart to hdmi converter that somehow made the games look blurry so I took it back for the scart to component converter I linked and that one has worked flawlessly since.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Great scott, can Radiant Silvergun get any harder? I'm on very easy and still getting my ass handed to me LOL. Geez Treasure, nice trolling :p

KC-Slater

I noticed this one mentions it is designed for use with the Genesis, am I correct in thinking that this would be suitable for both the Genesis and Saturn?

Does the SCART cable you are using have separate (RCA) audio output?

This one.

And the benefit of using scart to component over scart to hdmi is that it simply trancodes so it keeps the image quality the same unlike scart to hdmi which alters the image and can make it look worse with filters and such. I used to own a scart to hdmi converter that somehow made the games look blurry so I took it back for the scart to component converter I linked and that one has worked flawlessly since.

Timu

I noticed this one mentions it is designed for use with the Genesis, am I correct in thinking that this would be suitable for both the Genesis and Saturn?

Does the SCART cable you are using have separate (RCA) audio output?
I used it on the Saturn and it worked perfectly. And mine doesn't, but you need a scart audio extractor for that to get audio through this device.

CO_Andy

Am i crazy if i think the Saturn 3D controller is superior to the mk2 controller?

Uniform buttons and a much more natural position for the dpad does it for me. The dpad's sandy texture and wire removal feature are also nice. The controller's definitely not as comfortable to grip though.

Am i crazy if i think the Saturn 3D controller is superior to the mk2 controller?

Uniform buttons and a much more natural position for the dpad does it for me. The dpad's sandy texture and wire removal feature are also nice. The controller's definitely not as comfortable to grip though.

I dunno about that, but I will tell you it's a hell of a lot better than that piece of shit Dreamcast controller. Sega had it right the first time.

Mercutio

I dunno about that, but I will tell you it's a hell of a lot better than that piece of shit Dreamcast controller. Sega had it right the first time.

Agreed. The Mark 2 controller is the king, but as far as early analogue controllers go, the Saturn one is by far the best. I don't think anyone did it as well until the 360 pad... though the Saturn 3D controller still kicks the crap out of the DPad on that.

Jamix012

Agreed. The Mark 2 controller is the king, but as far as early analogue controllers go, the Saturn one is by far the best. I don't think anyone did it as well until the 360 pad... though the Saturn 3D controller still kicks the crap out of the DPad on that.

It's a pretty good controller but really? Wasn't bested till the 360 controller? What about the masterpiece that is the Gamecube controller (except it's d pad.)

It's a pretty good controller but really? Wasn't bested till the 360 controller? What about the masterpiece that is the Gamecube controller (except it's d pad.)

GCN controller was really comfortable to hold and worked well for first party games. It was far from ideal when it came to multiplats tho tbh I preferred the Controller S.

Mercutio

Well, sure. It was better than the N64 controller since it didn't make my hands bleed, and I didn't have to change my grip entirely. It was better than the Gamecube controller because it had a full sized Dpad of good quality. Plus, the Gamecube has that wonky button layout. I like the Gamecube a lot and have a very sizable collection, but those buttons really only work in Nintendo games. Fighters? Forget about it. The Saturn 3D Pad was better than the Original Xbox controllers, since it had a better dpad, and I think a better feeling analogue stick. I prefer it to the PS1-PS2 pads because it has a better 6 button layout. I dunno.

If we're talking best pure digital controller though? Saturn Mark 2. All the way.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Gamecube controller is garbage.

Just another entry in the line of Nintendo controllers that are different for no other reason than to be different, and thus are annoying to use with third party games.

Mercutio

Just another entry in the line of Nintendo controllers that are different for no other reason than to be different, and thus are annoying to use with third party games.

But, hey, for Nintendo games? It's absolutely great. Smash Brothers with anything else just doesn't feel as good! It's also super comfortable. Fix the D-Pad (Bigger) and give it the SNES button layout on the right, and it'd probably be the best around.

Jamix012

Suit yourself, it's my second favourite controller of all time (behind the PS4 controller), and certainly outdoes any Sega controllers IMO.

Speaking of controllers, has anyone used a MC Cthulhu to make a Saturn stick?

I've got a Xbox 360 Fightstick laying around that I modded with Sanwa parts a while back and no longer own a 360. I'm thinking about turning it into a Saturn stick if it isn't too big of a project.

[Edit] - Actually it looks like I might be able to just use a Saturn controller PCB and solder the connections to the stick?

Who gives a shit about third-party controllers on a Nintendo machine. The controllers are there for Nintendo games and for other companies to adapt or go away.

Gamecube controller is one of Nintendo's best.

Especially the WaveBird - the first wireless controller that wasn't dogshit. It had some heft and just felt so good.

Mercutio

Speaking of controllers, has anyone used a MC Cthulhu to make a Saturn stick?

I've got a Xbox 360 Fightstick laying around that I modded with Sanwa parts a while back and no longer own a 360. I'm thinking about turning it into a Saturn stick if it isn't too big of a project.

[Edit] - Actually it looks like I might be able to just use a Saturn controller PCB and solder the connections to the stick?

Yes, I have. It's pretty easy. The only bummer is the killing of Saturn pads for the cables you'd need to connect to the system.

But basically, you wire up the MC Cthulhu to the buttons, then connect an RJ45 (network) jack to the data lines. You then follow the pinout guide on the MC Cthulhu Shoryuken page:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...and-chimp-thread-try-our-new-dreamcast-flavor

And make cables for your Saturn.

The big bonus in all this is that you can wire up a near endless number of other consoles to the RJ45 jacks as well; my stick works on my Saturn, SNES, Dreamcast, PC Engine, PC, PS3, and Android consoles. It's very compatible. Systems that don't have direct compatibility can be wired directly (Neo Geo) or as Padhacks (Genesis). I use a breakout box with Genesis padhacks inside, but you could include them in your stick without much trouble if the body was large enough.

Here's an in-progress of my stick being built:

wiring_zps7da5670c.jpg

And fully set up in an HSS-0130 body:

DAP_8908_zpsc13cc491.jpg

And the ports on the back:

DAP_8910_zps170fa3fc.jpg

Yes, I have. It's pretty easy. The only bummer is the killing of Saturn pads for the cables you'd need to connect to the system.

But basically, you wire up the MC Cthulhu to the buttons, then connect an RJ45 (network) jack to the data lines. You then follow the pinout guide on the MC Cthulhu Shoryuken page:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...and-chimp-thread-try-our-new-dreamcast-flavor

And make cables for your Saturn.

The big bonus in all this is that you can wire up a near endless number of other consoles to the RJ45 jacks as well; my stick works on my Saturn, SNES, Dreamcast, PC Engine, PC, PS3, and Android consoles. It's very compatible. Systems that don't have direct compatibility can be wired directly (Neo Geo) or as Padhacks (Genesis). I use a breakout box with Genesis padhacks inside, but you could include them in your stick without much trouble if the body was large enough.

And the ports on the back:

DAP_8910_zps170fa3fc.jpg

This is great info, thanks! On the last pic, I'm assuming those round ports would be used as the spot where you connect the RJ-45 into the stick? So you basically just open the stick back up and swap the cables out to use it on another console?

I was thinking that I wouldn't really care about using it on another system, but I might get another Dreamcast eventually and it might be nice on there as well...

My only problem at the moment is a limited budget, so I'm trying to think economical. :D

Mercutio

This is great info, thanks! On the last pic, I'm assuming those round ports would be used as the spot where you connect the RJ-45 into the stick? So you basically just open the stick back up and swap the cables out to use it on another console?

I was thinking that I wouldn't really care about using it on another system, but I might get another Dreamcast eventually and it might be nice on there as well...

My only problem at the moment is a limited budget, so I'm trying to think economical. :D

The round ports are basically network cable jacks. RJ45 is the type of connection that a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable has. I use Neutrik jacks, which are of good quality. Inside, the RJ45 is wired to the Cthulhu instead of USB. Basically, the RJ45 is instead of USB; much cheaper and easier to wire since you can just cut down a console's cable and pop on an RJ45 connector. No splicing or soldering required.

I don't have to open the stick for anything though, I just swap the cable connecting the game console to the RJ45 jack. I have one set for each system that uses them.

The great thing about stick building is that you can do it economically one step at a time. If you have a stick body to start with, great! You've got the most expensive part already. Simply get an MC Cthuhlu and cut the cable from the Saturn controller, and you're started on your way. You can add other stuff as you go!

The round ports are basically network cable jacks. RJ45 is the type of connection that a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable has. I use Neutrik jacks, which are of good quality. Inside, the RJ45 is wired to the Cthulhu instead of USB. Basically, the RJ45 is instead of USB; much cheaper and easier to wire since you can just cut down a console's cable and pop on an RJ45 connector. No splicing or soldering required.

I don't have to open the stick for anything though, I just swap the cable connecting the game console to the RJ45 jack. I have one set for each system that uses them.

The great thing about stick building is that you can do it economically one step at a time. If you have a stick body to start with, great! You've got the most expensive part already. Simply get an MC Cthuhlu and cut the cable from the Saturn controller, and you're started on your way. You can add other stuff as you go!

Ah OK that makes sense then. In a previous life as an IT guy I wired many a RJ-45, so that part seems easy.

It seems like Screw Attack is the preferred place to buy the Cthuhlu.... Is that where you got yours?

Mercutio

Ah OK that makes sense then. In a previous life as an IT guy I wired many a RJ-45, so that part seems easy.

It seems like Screw Attack is the preferred place to buy the Cthuhlu.... Is that where you got yours?

Yep! And they sell a whole compliment of RJ45 terminated cables if you don't want to wire your own for common systems like the PS2 and Dreamcast. Stuff like the Saturn you'll have to cannibalize, unfortunately.

cj_iwakura

I have to disagree. Capcom made it sing. Killer7 and RE4 are the best with that controller.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys can you tell me what framerate Radiant Silvergun and Powerslave ran at on the saturn?

CO_Andy

The Gamecube controller was fantastic, although the button layout wasn't really a game changer.

It probably would of made an impact had they reused its design for the Wii remote, because sweet Jesus was that button layout horrid for anyone who doesn't want to game on what's basically a television remote.

Reaching for any button below A and B was a real pain in the arse.

Mercutio

The Gamecube controller was fantastic, although the button layout wasn't really a game changer.

It probably would of made an impact had they reused its design for the Wii remote, because sweet Jesus was that button layout horrid for anyone who doesn't want to game on what's basically a television remote.

Reaching for any button below A and B was a real pain in the arse.

The worst thing about the GC controller, honestly, was NIntendo when they introduced it. There are these... interviews. Basically they say things like "Well, we invented the old layout... we assume people will switch to this one next round."

CO_Andy

I'm having no luck emulating on my core i3 laptop, is there any up to date emulators for the saturn that work?
SSF should run just fine on an i3 (i play the emulator just fine on my old dual core lappy from 2007).

If you're having problems then turn up the dot clock in options.

isamu

RS is 60 and Powerslave is probably 30 at best

well the reason I ask, is because the weird thing is, Powerslave and pretty much every other game I've played in SSF runs at a solid 60fps, while the gameplay speed remains the same. If RSG runs at 60fps natively, then there's no surprise there.

wonderone

Neo Member
LTTP but came here just to say how much i still enjoy my sega saturn.
So much so that I own a complete PAL collection as well as a decent selection of Japanese games (alas no RSG).

Khaz

don't confuse the fps of the game and the refresh rate of the console. SSF shows you the latter. With a real console it will be 60 because that's what needed by your display. The game itself can be more sluggish, in which case the console will repeat some frames. If your computer isn't powerful enough, it will compute the 60 frames in more than a second, resulting in either a slowed down game or a slide show.

A good emulator running on a good computer should always show 60, regardless what the game is struggling to do.

Does anyone using Scart and a surround sound system notice buzzing with the audio? About to order a retro console accessories scart cable and wondering if I'll get a lot of hum/buzz. Wanted to make sure her cable was adequate.

Mercutio

Does anyone using Scart and a surround sound system notice buzzing with the audio? About to order a retro console accessories scart cable and wondering if I'll get a lot of hum/buzz. Wanted to make sure her cable was adequate.

I use one of hers on my Saturn with a very high-end headphone rig (HD600 Sennheisers and a fancy Tube Amp). I haven't noticed any buzzing at all, and my system would definitely make it very evident. How is your system set up?

I use one of hers on my Saturn with a very high-end headphone rig (HD600 Sennheisers and a fancy Tube Amp). I haven't noticed any buzzing at all, and my system would definitely make it very evident. How is your system set up?
BNC breakout to Scart box, then using the RCA Red and White to my AVR. I'm getting terrible buzzing from my SNES and Genesis and somewhat bad buzzing at times from my N64. I was going to order some coax cables from Retro Console Accessories to hopefully alleviate it, but was wondering if I should go coax for Saturn before I ordered it. Sounds like normal cable will be fine.

Mercutio

BNC breakout to Scart box, then using the RCA Red and White to my AVR. I'm getting terrible buzzing from my SNES and Genesis and somewhat bad buzzing at times from my N64. I was going to order some coax cables from Retro Console Accessories to hopefully alleviate it, but was wondering if I should go coax for Saturn before I ordered it. Sounds like normal cable will be fine.

I'd blame the other things you've got in the chain there long before I'd blame the SCART cable itself.

I'd blame the other things you've got in the chain there long before I'd blame the SCART cable itself.
Well, I'm getting acceptable performance from other consoles. For instance, I plugged in my Master System in the exact same spot in the chain that my SNES is plugged in, and it is performing well. SNES is notorious for the audio hum.

isamu

don't confuse the fps of the game and the refresh rate of the console. SSF shows you the latter. With a real console it will be 60 because that's what needed by your display. The game itself can be more sluggish, in which case the console will repeat some frames. If your computer isn't powerful enough, it will compute the 60 frames in more than a second, resulting in either a slowed down game or a slide show.

A good emulator running on a good computer should always show 60, regardless what the game is struggling to do.

Thanks Khaz. That breaks it down a bit. But how do you explain games that were not designed to run at anything other than 30fps, yet running at a smooth 60fps on the emulator and yet the speed of the gameplay is exactly normal and NOT too fast?

I have heard about this being possible on a few of the PSP games running in PPSSPP emu, but they are few and far between. With the Saturn however, nearly every game I've tried runs at a smooth 60fps and they all play at their normal game speed. They're not sped up in any way.

How is this possible when they were made to run at 30fps on the real machine?

Khaz

How do you know they are running at a smooth 60fps? I'm afraid you may not have understood what I tried to explain.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thanks Khaz. That breaks it down a bit. But how do you explain games that were not designed to run at anything other than 30fps, yet running at a smooth 60fps on the emulator and yet the speed of the gameplay is exactly normal and NOT too fast?

I have heard about this being possible on a few of the PSP games running in PPSSPP emu, but they are few and far between. With the Saturn however, nearly every game I've tried runs at a smooth 60fps and they all play at their normal game speed. They're not sped up in any way.

How is this possible when they were made to run at 30fps on the real machine?
A locked 30fps game would just repeat every frame twice.

People are god damn crazy. Hey I know, lets bid Bomberman up to $40 over what a currently running buy it now has it listed as. There was a bunch of auctions ending today from the same seller that got hit hard for way too high of prices. Thought I would be able to get at least one but nope.

Top Bottom