• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

baphomet

Do you guys know anything about Dreamcast?

I'm looking to pick one up and mod it for back-ups.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Depends on what you're trying to do. A lot of dreamcasts will play backups already. Its a huge hassle trying to dump and rip your own games though.

piggychan

This is easily the case with titles that use the RAM expansion.

For those that do not, it's not always the case. Super Puzzle Fighter for example is better on Playstation as it doesn't suffer the same slowdown as the Saturn version.

I think Capcom's best 2D saturn game without the need for RAM expansion was their Vampire Hunter. If you unlock the hidden option screens you begin to see the love capcom had for the saturn as well as the saturn's 2D abilities. Only downside to this game I think the loading times are quite long. It has both Darkstalkers and Vampire Hunter in one game. and I do remember the playstation looking and feeling different to this version.

Another game which had a hidden option (debug mode) was silhouette Mirage which again shows some amazing 2D abilities of the sega saturn although be careful with the debug as it could make the game go glitchy and crash.

Depends on what you're trying to do. A lot of dreamcasts will play backups already. Its a huge hassle trying to dump and rip your own games though.

I also wouldn't recommend playing backups on your Dreamcast. I'm not 100% sure if it's just a myth, but I think playing backups on a Dreamcast can ruin the laser.

I also wouldn't recommend playing backups on your Dreamcast. I'm not 100% sure if it's just a myth, but I think playing backups on a Dreamcast can ruin the laser.

I've heard this too, but it could be related to where the data is burned so you don't wear out the laser mech.

I think I heard the same for the PS2 back in the day. I remember doing the whole DVD burning thing back then and I recall that buring better quality DVD's and burning them at a slow speed made them easier for the PS2 to read, thus wearing less on the laser.

I believe it's the actual laser pickup though (not the laser), having to read areas of the disc multiple times to get the data correct as they are harder to read, that gets worn out faster.

Gotta try that one.

GG is underrated imo have u tried gg shinobi 2?

Played one of the shinobis, don't remember what one, and it just got too hard at the end for my little self.

Don't really think the GG was underrated, but I'm still bitter after years of wanting it as a kid for the color screen to get it and all the games be worse then what I had on gameboy. Tails Adventure was an exception.

baphomet

More myth than fact. You should be using high quality media (taiyo yuden) for any CD/DVD-R's. Using shitty media can cause lots of issues including strain on the laser which can eventually kill it.

Bar81

More myth than fact. You should be using high quality media (taiyo yuden) for any CD/DVD-R's. Using shitty media can cause lots of issues including strain on the laser which can eventually kill it.

Is that universal for all systems - high quality back up media is essentially equivalent to factory pressed CDs when it comes to laser wear and tear?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is that universal for all systems - high quality back up media is essentially equivalent to factory pressed CDs when it comes to laser wear and tear?
Probably not equivalent, but I can say from experience that it does make a difference on consoles with flaky disc drives.

It's good practice to use good media and to burn images at a speed that produces the fewest number of errors. There are diagnostic tools out there that can examine burned discs for specific kinds of read errors, and I'd recommend finding one and testing out your burner/media at several different burn speeds to see which combination of hardware, media, and burn settings produces the "cleanest" burns. It's been so long since I've messed with this stuff that I can't name any programs or resources in particular, but they're out there.

In my experience with (reasonably) modern burners and high quality writable media, optimal results usually fall somewhere in the 8x to 16x write speed.

Teknoman

Good lord FINALLY. Silhouette Mirage arrived. Looks almost new aside from the front of the case having a crack.

At any rate, be careful ordering from that Amazon seller I mentioned. Japanese games usually seem to take a max of about 2 and a half weeks, no matter where you order...not damn near a month and then some.

That battle theme sounds as good today as it did back in 1997 !!

my saturn rpgs PAL and USA releases.

They just been sitting in a box all these years and I just decided to take them out for a breather... I should play them again someday...
P1020295.jpg

They just been sitting in a box all these years

sitting in a box

jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

Mercutio

Do you guys know anything about Dreamcast?

I'm looking to pick one up and mod it for back-ups.

Suggestions/thoughts?

In my personal experience, the Japanese made units are more reliable than the Chinese ones. But that could be one man's isolated experience.

Teknoman

i0tIRZp7pDdcL.jpg

I have no idea whats going on, but I like it.

That being said, is treasure working on something new/original, because I dont think we're heard anything from them in awhile, aside from Ikaruga on Steam and that one game on the 3DS(?) Also I miss 90s era Treasure CD soundtracks.

Khaz

I tried it once, and went to the tutorial (randomly, because Japanese). The thing was soo long, with so many moves that when I finally started the first level I had no idea what to do or how to do it, I was just confused by the depth of the gameplay.

Jamix012

Picked up the Konami MSX collection for $35. That's one game that's rising in price like crazy, about a month ago there were plenty going CIB for that price. I had to settle for Disc+Manual+Spinecard for that price and it was the only one I could find that was even close to that price.

still wish i'dve grabbed Super Puzzle Fighter on DC, i think it went up a bit there...PSX one still seems cheap

You could always grab the physical version as part of the Capcom Digital Collection for the Xbox 360. I think it's missing some stuff? But it's still pretty good.

i0tIRZp7pDdcL.jpg

That being said, is treasure working on something new/original, because I dont think we're heard anything from them in awhile, aside from Ikaruga on Steam and that one game on the 3DS(?) Also I miss 90s era Treasure CD soundtracks.

Original games? I doubt it. If you consider Ikaruga a sequel to RS, Treasure hasn't done an original IP game since Stretch Panic 13 years ago.

Hiroshi Iuchi (RS, Ikaruga) has been doing his own thing for a minute. He's now planning a PS4 shooter with M2.

Jamix012

Original games? I doubt it. If you consider Ikaruga a sequel to RS, Treasure hasn't done an original IP game since Stretch Panic 13 years ago.

Hiroshi Iuchi (RS, Ikaruga) has been doing his own thing for a minute. He's now planning a PS4 shooter with M2.

What about Gaist Crusher?

Jamix012

Not an original IP. It's based on a manga and anime. Nothing new for them, they've been doing anime games since Yu Yu Hakusho on Mega Drive.

Huh, didn't know that. I'd love to see a new IP from treasure. In my books they're hit and miss but when they hit, they're incredible.

piggychan

Good lord FINALLY. Silhouette Mirage arrived. Looks almost new aside from the front of the case having a crack

jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

I got busy with another box... an xbox 360.. btw there is treasure love on the xbox live marketplace.

There is guardian heroes,radiant silvergun, and ikaruga featuring HD graphics and online multiplayer.

silhouette mirage is an amazing game.. kinda based around the principles of yin and yang. If I can recall correctly:
about a group of scientists that experiment in their facility called Edo which kinda comes alive and causes a huge explosion splitting things into good and bad, silhouettes and mirages...

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/smirage/smirage.htm

Fans of Panzer Dragoon music, do yourself a favor and cop this album.
http://store.bravewave.net/album/journey

After a hiatus of 7 years, Saori Kobayashi (of Panzer Dragoon) and Yumiko Takahashi (of Suikoden) are finally back with their musical ensemble AKANE. Journey features new original music inspired by the Panzer Dragoon series of games, compositions from Crimson Dragon, Crimson Dragon: Side Story, and a special appearance by legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks, gonna check out those samples for sure.
Edit: ehh, was expecting music that would resemble the music from these games, something folky and epic like a soundtrack, but this is a bit too poppy for me. Oh well.

Persona7

Banned
I've heard this too, but it could be related to where the data is burned so you don't wear out the laser mech.

You can mess with the sort order on the disk with rips to make the lens not have to seek so much on backups but you have to know what you are doing. Some retail games even have issues with the laser having to seek.

Khaz

I agree, and pleasantly surprised they talked about Necronomicon. It's an excellent pinball game, regardless of the theme. This and Digital Pinball (9.7) are still among the best pinball games today.

Sixfortyfive

I'm trying out some of the Sega Ages 2500 entries on the PS2 that I haven't got around to playing before, with the intent of ultimately deciding on a single version to keep for some of Sega's classics.

Man, this series really left a lot to be desired before M2 took over. I just got done with a few rounds of Puyo Puyo and VF2 and am frustrated that, like much of the PS2's library, they seem to be 480i only.

I'm trying out some of the Sega Ages 2500 entries on the PS2 that I haven't got around to playing before, with the intent of ultimately deciding on a single version to keep for some of Sega's classics.

Man, this series really left a lot to be desired before M2 took over. I just got done with a few rounds of Puyo Puyo and VF2 and am frustrated that, like much of the PS2's library, they seem to be 480i only.

Supposedly you can force 240p through homebrew and patching the games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Why would you expect 240p from Virtual Fighter 2? The original game ran at a higher resolution than that (496x384).

Sixfortyfive

Why would you expect 240p from Virtual Fighter 2? The original game ran at a higher resolution than that (496x384).
PS2. Like virtually anyone else, I'd prefer (but not expect) them to run at 480p, like most of the later releases in the 2500 series do.

I finally own Elevator Action Returns. A friend of mine sold it to me today for $90, spine card and registration card included. Couldn't pass that and his copy of Cosmic Smash up.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Still can't believe how good VF2 looks. Shame Fighters Megamix took an IQ hit.

Really gotta get DoA one of these days.

IrishNinja

GKg7fYS.jpg

I finally own Elevator Action Returns. A friend of mine sold it to me today for $90, spine card and registration card included. Couldn't pass that and his copy of Cosmic Smash up.

damn, that's prolly not a bad deal now - one of my favorites, and Cosmic Smash is awesome too, congrats!

Jamix012

I should have grabbed it a few years ago before the prices went up......
:(

I know it's been said before, and i know it's not ideal for those who don't like compilations, but EAR is available on Taito Legends 2. The Xbox version is PAL only but region free and contains a few different games like Cadash and Rayforce (though is missing a couple of others like G-Darius.)

cj_iwakura

I know it's been said before, and i know it's not ideal for those who don't like compilations, but EAR is available on Taito Legends 2. The Xbox version is PAL only but region free and contains a few different games like Cadash and Rayforce (though is missing a couple of others like G-Darius.)

The US version has Raycrisis, which isn't that different.

Top Bottom