• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

baphomet

Lol, where did you get that from? The PS1 port is better. Consult shmups.com for details.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16925

Back when I owned the Saturn version, I found it the only way to ensure it loaded 100% of the time was with no controllers AND and no RAM cart inserted. Otherwise it booted less that half the time.

Strange, I always wondered why my copy of in the hunt never booted. I had assumed it was just bad and tossed it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
my longbox collection

caPjW3W.jpg

oneida

I love that Sonic Jam cover, I remember seeing it earlier in the thread. Classic stuff. Also, congrats on having PDS and Shining Force 3, you're one leg up on the rarest/most expensive ones.
thanks! I paid more for X4 than SFIII. used to have MSH but sold it when the XBLA version dropped.

JLynn

It's been a while since I last checked this thread out. Between working, helping out my mom, and maintaing an almost two month relationship with an awesome woman I haven't got the chance to get on GAF much. However in the span of those two months I've finally replaced (Save for one title I'm not interested in) a Saturn collection of mine that was destroyed in a fire in 1998. A span of sixteen years.

GEnidxql.jpg

I planned on getting WipEout from Sega-parts.com but when I got paid one day in August it went off the Internets. Sega-parts shall be missed. I ended up getting an ok conditioned copy from Ebay.

Marvel Super Heroes, was one of two game I never thought I would get for an affordable price. Save for a long scratch on the disc that doesn't affect playback it's in great condition.

As for my GF, I'm blessed to have one who's a gamer. So me and her were going back and forth about games we loved when we were growing up. I mentioned my sob story and naturally she felt bad for me. Last Wednesday she texted me after I got off from work.

GF: What was the name of that Saturn game you're trying to get?

ME: Guardian Heroes. Why?

GF: ;)

Two days later.....

9alogmxl.jpg

Save for sun fade on one side and a detached warranty card it's as good a condition as it could get. Couldn't believe she got this for me. I'm forever thankful to her.

One more thing. Has anybody noticed how some Saturn games are going down in price? I got MSH for $50 when in the past I couldn't find a complete copy for less than $70. While my girl refused to specify she hinted she paid "Way less than $100" for GH.

Rydeen

One more thing. Has anybody noticed how some Saturn games are going down in price? I got MSH for $50 when in the past I couldn't find a complete copy for less than $70. While my girl refused to specify she hinted she paid "Way less than $100" for GH.
Yeah I noticed this, I actually also got GH complete for 75 a few months ago and thought it was a pretty good price AND that it has gone down since I last checked the price. Might have something to do with the XBL / PSN version?

I've seen that gold SLS pad before, makes sense.

They released a nice gray-on-white to coincide with Puyo Puyo Fever on Mac OSX. That one was cool too.

tumblr_lrbjaiFHfe1qdzoq5o2_500.jpg

tumblr_lrbjaiFHfe1qdzoq5o1_500.jpg

IrishNinja

some great pics here, and that Sonic Jam LE (heh) is always a welcome sight

man, i was just telling Mzo how glad i am to be mostly done with this scene, i'd be happy to see prices come down. SF III stays my white whale, and i haven't looked in a while but i very much doubt it's back around $70 or so, sadly

Mercutio

some great pics here, and that Sonic Jam LE (heh) is always a welcome sight

man, i was just telling Mzo how glad i am to be mostly done with this scene, i'd be happy to see prices come down. SF III stays my white whale, and i haven't looked in a while but i very much doubt it's back around $70 or so, sadly

Well, you can get a disc without box or manual for $150! How's that sound?

No kidding. I'm not entirely certain the Saturn could even handle Street Fighter III... although it'd probably have been impressive to see nonetheless. (I expect it'd have been Second Impact; Third Strike was presumably a little bit too late for consideration.)

JLynn

EDIT: I'll keep you in my thoughts regarding Shining Force 3.

No kidding. I'm not entirely certain the Saturn could even handle Street Fighter III... although it'd probably have been impressive to see nonetheless. (I expect it'd have been Second Impact; Third Strike was presumably a little bit too late for consideration.)

Would be neat to see what they could do. What's a good analogue animationwise? I know Zero 3 has more characters but SF3's animation is on that Last Blade level.

Investigating swapping the internal SRAM memory for a FRAM chip

Cool project that would mean keep your saves forever without a battery! The battery would still be needed for timekeeping, but you could change it without losing your internal saves. In addition, it means potentially expanding the internal memory to incredible sizes. If this mod comes to fruition, I'll have another excuse to open up my Saturn.

That sounds awesome! I have a memory card, but it's a hassle copying stuff over every time for games that don't directly support it. Looking forward to more.

oneida

Shinobi Legions is pretty fun.

can't quite get the double jump down reliably which is SUPER frustrating as one stage outright requires you to nail them consistently or you're fucked. combat is cool and reflecting kunai feels nice even if its useless at long range and risky at close range. up+slash looks cool, gotta wonder if forward+slash does more damage or something because it just deletes projectiles rather than reflecting them and it's kinda tricky to nail.

overall the difficulty seems fine but some sections spike like mad. stage 8 is fucking mean.

IrishNinja

pretty much my impressions too, pretty underrated/bashed in its time for what it is...never got to stage 8 though, gotta try again!

Mercutio

Investigating swapping the internal SRAM memory for a FRAM chip

Cool project that would mean keep your saves forever without a battery! The battery would still be needed for timekeeping, but you could change it without losing your internal saves. In addition, it means potentially expanding the internal memory to incredible sizes. If this mod comes to fruition, I'll have another excuse to open up my Saturn.

I know FRAM holds data for a long time, but doesn't it have limited writes?

Shinobi Legions is pretty fun.

can't quite get the double jump down reliably which is SUPER frustrating as one stage outright requires you to nail them consistently or you're fucked. combat is cool and reflecting kunai feels nice even if its useless at long range and risky at close range. up+slash looks cool, gotta wonder if forward+slash does more damage or something because it just deletes projectiles rather than reflecting them and it's kinda tricky to nail.

overall the difficulty seems fine but some sections spike like mad. stage 8 is fucking mean.

I love that game. It's the rare FMV title that's actually become better with age. The goofy cut-scenes are SO GOODBAD.

Mercutio

Not according to Wikipedia. It's more expensive than flash and can store less, but the read/write cycles is apparently much better.

Huh! That's cool then. I just remember people complaining about faulty FRAM units in Sonic 3; games ceasing to save and such. Probably way earlier examples of the tech then, I bet.

Khaz

I got my copy of Last Bronx (Jp) ! It's really a cool game, it feels like Virtua Fighter with sticks. But everything is in Japanese? I know it seems a silly thing to complain about in a Japanese game, but all the VF games and DoA had their menus in English, so I'm a bit disappointed.

I got my copy of Last Bronx (Jp) ! It's really a cool game, it feels like Virtua Fighter with sticks. But everything is in Japanese? I know it seems a silly thing to complain about in a Japanese game, but all the VF games and DoA had their menus in English, so I'm a bit disappointed.

It's a nice technical marvel.. fantastic game. What was on the second disk again?

Khaz

Tutorials. The one I started had the two guys speaking for like 5 minutes, explaining stuff. It seems very thorough, I you can understand it. There's also a training mode where you can see and try moves. There are also other stuff but I have no idea what they are.

You might want to consider importing the PS2 version of Last Bronx by M2. It's a closer conversion to the arcade and all the menus are in English.

does it have that monstrous second disc content though?
No, it's more of an arcade affair plus some bonus modes and some extra content that plays with the default parameters of the game. Think of it as a compliment to the saturn release instead of a replacement in that regard.

piggychan

if you saw marvel vs street fighter or x-men vs streetfighter running with the hidden option to turn up the maximum speed setting you might change your mind..

piggychan

since we coming up to the night of the witch...

You guys should take a look into these two saturn shmups.

Cotton 2 (which i think some early copies came with a doubled sided calendar thing)
fdd5fd98c824bc26e3c9f6b7464640c6.jpg

and Cotton Boomerang
86a6758f0fdc2264740b6dd10e9b8953.jpg

Both of the above have great gameplay and while Cotton 2 might have some strategy and thought into the gameplay, Boomerange is straight up insane shooting and while there are a lot of assets reused from Cotton 2 it also makes great use of the saturn's 2D abilities. Actually both titles make great use of the saturn's power.

Timu

Well yeah but the Cotton series is just insanely expensive. Only 2 is barely affordable.
The Cotton series is one series that I never knew about until Game Sack, and I wonder why they are loved so much. They sound great from what I heard though. Since they're rare that have high prices for most games in the series.

Top Bottom