• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

ugh weird, the guy in the corner teaches at my college. I'm tryna focus on Akira but I cant

ah, the collection guy! what's he teach?

Newest one? The Barnes and Noble nearby gets that magazine in, may have to buy.

should be yeah, i subscribe but don't have my copy yet

dat shit-tier control pad doe

yeah but it was the launch one, kinda fair for the anniversary

It's okay but was disappointing.

aw, really? how so?

Anth0ny

GKg7fYS.jpg

damn, that's prolly not a bad deal now - one of my favorites, and Cosmic Smash is awesome too, congrats!

Oh shit I need this.

I have their SNES/Genesis issue. It's so good.

Khaz

So I just received my copy of Street Fighter Zero 2 and it doesn't use the 4M cartridge? I really thought it did.

tuffy

I've only played Alpha 2 and don't remember any missing animation frames. But hopefully some proper Street Fighter gurus will be along to detail any differences between the Saturn and Arcade versions.

Khaz

I have to say, I enjoy buying my games from Japanese people. They always package it very tight and they put extras in the parcel too. One put a few Dragon Ball TCG cards, another one had origami stars in it, and this last one gave me two green tea bags. I'm having green tea tonight!

piggychan

So I just received my copy of Street Fighter Zero 2 and it doesn't use the 4M cartridge? I really thought it did.

It's an early capcom game before the 4M existed. I think there are a few frames of animations missing and the sound/voice samples aren't as sharp. There is a nice gallery in there too.

baphomet

So along with my supergun and Sega Titan board I also ordered one of these.

Its a flash cart for the Titan. Pretty damn awesome that someone even made one of these. It was damn near $300, but it will be worth it when it finally shows up late next month/early December.

This is the board that's based off the Saturn so a bunch of those excellent shooters are on the ST-V.

piggychan

Its a flash cart for the Titan. Pretty damn awesome that someone even made one of these. It was damn near $300, but it will be worth it when it finally shows up late next month/early December.

This is the board that's based off the Saturn so a bunch of those excellent shooters are on the ST-V.

don't think some of those shooters are gonna be cheap tho.... *looks at cotton 2 and radiant silvergun*

Khaz

It's an early capcom game before the 4M existed. I think there are a few frames of animations missing and the sound/voice samples aren't as sharp. There is a nice gallery in there too.

I don't know about nice. I looked at it briefly and all I saw was 480i wobbling. Tears in my eyes.

zuWdPYG.png

Love that logo

Must be nice to play Die Hard Arcade without the game loading every second.

Are there any ST-V exclusive games that never made it to Saturn?

baphomet

300px-Sega_Titan_Logo.png

Love that logo

Must be nice to play Die Hard Arcade without the game loading every second.

Are there any ST-V exclusive games that never made it to Saturn?

That's actually the only cart I have currently, and its pretty great.

I want to start getting some of the arcade exclusives, or just versions that are significantly better/different in the arcade. Gunforce 2 and Revenge of Death Adder being 2 major ones I want.

baphomet

Revenge of Death Adder is a System 32 game. Unfortunately, The ST-V Golden Axe is the fighter (Golden Axe The Duel).

No, I know that. I'm just saying in general I'd like to get some arcade exclusives. I've got a eswat on the way which is a system 16 board I believe.

This is awesome.

Nice, I'm ready to jump on the cps2 flash cart he has in the works.

That Toys R Us flyer reminded me. I'd bought my Saturn in November of 95, not too long after its initial $50 price drop (so $349.99). I messed with the cashier by paying with exact change (WI had a 5% sales tax, so it's easy to calculate in your head). Anyway, a few weeks later I was in a car accident...I was in the process of slamming my breaks to avoid crashing into the car that attempted to merge onto the interstate from a dead stop, and my little Plymouth Horizon was rear-ended by the semi that was behind me, knocking me about 50 yards across a bridge. I walked away without a scratch (not even whiplash...can't say the same for my car). Insurance settled within 12 hours. I did have to miss work that day, dealing with the insurance and getting a check up at the hospital.

Why this story? Well, as part of the settlement I got compensated for that day's missed wage...I went to the mall and bought Virtua Fighter 2 which had just come out. Much enjoyment was had.

That Toys R Us flyer reminded me. I'd bought my Saturn in November of 95, not too long after its initial $50 price drop (so $349.99). I messed with the cashier by paying with exact change (WI had a 5% sales tax, so it's easy to calculate in your head). Anyway, a few weeks later I was in a car accident...I was in the process of slamming my breaks to avoid crashing into the car that attempted to merge onto the interstate from a dead stop, and my little Plymouth Horizon was rear-ended by the semi that was behind me, knocking me about 50 yards across a bridge. I walked away without a scratch (not even whiplash...can't say the same for my car). Insurance settled within 12 hours. I did have to miss work that day, dealing with the insurance and getting a check up at the hospital.

Why this story? Well, as part of the settlement I got compensated for that day's missed wage...I went to the mall and bought Virtua Fighter 2 which had just come out. Much enjoyment was had.
Haha, nice! Good you didn't get hurt!

Wait, the Netlink was as expensive as the console? That's really expensive for a modem

In '96 or so, for a fully separate 33kbps modem with its own plastic enclosure and power source, and not a daughter card, that was not too far from the going rate at the high end on PCs. I'm sure Sega wanted to make a little bit of money on each one sold.

Haha, nice! Good you didn't get hurt!

it actually fixed my back...not the chiropractic method I would recommend, but there it is.

It was a nice change of pace from the original pack in Virtua Fighter. At that point I'd rented Clockwork Knight, and Virtual hydlide.

I'd also recently picked up Chrono Trigger and Lunar 2 at that point as well. During the job I worked inbetween graduating high school and starting college, i remember most of the purchases, due to them being rather long term sorts of things:
Saturn, PS1, a Turbo Duo, my 200W Peavey Amp, my 6-string Hamer Diablo electric guitar, my Roland XP-10 keyboard, my Fostec XR-3 4 track recorder, a bunch of music CDs, a bunch of games, some AD&D books, and a Gen Con trip.

Celine

Been continuing to build up my import collection, got these 4 in over that last few weeks. Still waiting on Gunbird.
Good choices.

EDIT:
Yeah, Castlevania SotN is a bad Saturn port from the PS1 version but you should have fun with all the four games.

Khaz

new pickup!! bracing myself for disappointment but I'm READY to like this game.

LOVE the synopsis. how cool is that?

You won't be disappointed. People like to laugh at it because of the cheesy cutscenes and digitised sprites, but it hides some very solid gameplay, enhanced by the six-buttons controls.

Putting in a new CR2032 in my Saturn tonight. I really need to get my saves and high scores backed up to my memory card this time before the battery dies again. But the memory card I have (the plain gray one I posted about back in Feb) seems kind of unreliable based on the few test saves I've done on it, like it takes several tries before a chosen file is backed up and will actually show up on the card. Wondering if maybe there's a better brand of card I should be using?

Is that the latest or a backissue? May have to get that one. Shame Retrogamer is so expensive in the states now. It recently jumped from 9.99 to 12.99 a copy at Barnes and Noble. :/

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You won't be disappointed. People like to laugh at it because of the cheesy cutscenes and digitised sprites, but it hides some very solid gameplay, enhanced by the six-buttons controls.
Woo! won't get to play it til Wednesday :( til then, readin' the manual.

This game rocks. Not Super Shinobi 1 or 2 level, but I liked it.
Never got to play the Jaques soundtrack either since I have the JP release. Let me know how it is!
had no idea they were different. what's the jp soundtrack like?

With missing frames of animation.
Lol, where did you get that from? The PS1 port is better. Consult shmups.com for details.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16925

Yep, and it's not like the arcade version didn't have slowdowns...
Although the real big trouble of In the hunt for Saturn is that with the japanese version you need to be lucky.
The developer in fact release a first print run with a bug that prevent the game to load most of the times.

Back when I owned the Saturn version, I found it the only way to ensure it loaded 100% of the time was with no controllers AND and no RAM cart inserted. Otherwise it booted less that half the time.

Remember that in addition to a much better framerate, In the Hunt for PS1 also has a Playstation-exclusive CD audio soundtrack option, and supports saving scores and options, while the Saturn version has only the arcade PCM music (which you can choose on PS1 if you want) and it does not support saving for some stupid reason. There's no reason to own the game for Saturn, sadly. I wish there was, I'd rather get Saturn games if they're similar...

Top Bottom