• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

if you saw marvel vs street fighter or x-men vs streetfighter running with the hidden option to turn up the maximum speed setting you might change your mind..
Capcom never entertained the idea of CPS3 ports to Saturn. I'm sure they could've got a compromised port on there though, I mean JoJo's got such a thing on PS1.

StevieWhite

I've been messing around with my framemeister and new elgato while playing Dragon Force - thought I'd post the results here, where someone might actually appreciate them!

Dragon Force is still an amazingly addictive game. Though time has revealed its combat to be pretty exploitable, it has still got an incredibly satisfying gameplay loop, and it's one of the Saturn games I remember most fondly. I really hope we get a translation of the sequel some day.

cj_iwakura

I've been messing around with my framemeister and new elgato while playing Dragon Force - thought I'd post the results here, where someone might actually appreciate them!

Dragon Force is still an amazingly addictive game. Though time has revealed its combat to be pretty exploitable, it's still got an incredibly satisfying gameplay loop, and its one of the Saturn games I remember most fondly. I really hope we get a translation of the sequel some day.

1 is a true classic, but sadly, the sequel is a pale shadow. It's less colorful, has bland music, and is actively uglier. It's just bleh all around, but if you LOVE DF, it's worth a look if nothing else.

Not exactly the Saturn versions, but some gifs I made.

aRsxNNl.gif

veifT97.gif

N6ruRcj.gif

PS2 VR and X360 Daytona

Put a new battery in my Saturn last week, been getting back into playing Radiant Silvergun. Man, Treasure pulled off an incredible feat with the graphics on the game, have owned it for 14 years and it still doesn't fail to impress me. I'd say Radiant and Mario 64 for me personally are tied for best-aged 32/64-bit gen 3D games.

Am going to mix it up tonight with either Soukyugurentai or Panzer Dragoon.

my longbox
collection

lol What is the story behind that custom cover for Sonic Jam?

Edit: Seriously, why is a cat attacking an old lady? Haha

Noticed Thunderforce Gold Pack 2 is definitely more spendy, averages $100 as opposed to Pack 1 which is around $50-60. Is there any point to getting these other than I guess the slight convenience of not having to swap out one's TF Genny cartridges? How is the emulation/port quality?

when I bought it, the game was missing a manual, so my gf made one.

ha Love it.

Noticed Thunderforce Gold Pack 2 is definitely more spendy, averages $100 as opposed to Pack 1 which is around $50-60. Is there any point to getting these other than I guess the slight convenience of not having to swap out one's TF Genny cartridges? How is the emulation/port quality?

The ports are good but the BGM doesn't queue up perfectly like they would on a Genesis. Same problem as Sonic Jam really, as the system takes a little while to find the right audio track to play I guess. It's just a minor discrepancy, but at those prices ($160 for both packs?) I'd rather seek out the Genesis carts. Though, you won't be able to play TF AC on a Genesis obviously.

Edit: Oh, as an added bonus you can play as the TF3 ship in TF4 on Gold Pack 2.

The ports are good but the BGM doesn't queue up perfectly like they would on a Genesis. Same problem as Sonic Jam really, as the system takes a little while to find the right audio track to play I guess. It's just a minor discrepancy, but at those prices ($160 for both packs?) I'd rather seek out the Genesis carts. Though, you won't be able to play TF AC on a Genesis obviously.

Edit: Oh, as an added bonus you can play as the TF3 ship in TF4 on Gold Pack 2.

Thanks for the clarification (unrelated note, love Sonic Jam, even made a thread about it a few years ago, it's still my go-to Sonic collection). What is TF AC?

piggychan

VF2 saturn still looks and plays wonderfully. Jacky's 66k feels boss.

I actually prefer the look on fighters megamix, even though it is a lower resolution I think it's the colours brought in from all the characters into one game and light shading that appeals to me.

Dead or Alive now that still looks great.

kunonabi

Tried playing Enemy Zero again but I just can't get into it. Having to set though all those little movie clips over and over just kills it for me.

StevieWhite

Tried playing Enemy Zero again but I just can't get into it. Having to set though all those little movie clips over and over just kills it for me.

It's pretty brutal. Waiting for 5 fmvs to load just so you can open a drawer or something really wears on you.

piggychan

This just reminded me of a game I was supposed to pick up years ago.. Deep Fear UK version, I just saw the prices on ebay.... CRAP!!!!!!

I always heard that the handling in the PS2 version was terrible, is that true?
It's absolutely atrocious! The PS2 version may look nice to look at, but it's a pretty horrible game to actually play, unfortunately. Very poor controls. I was pretty disappointed after trying it, it's not worth playing at all really. It's too bad that it has two exclusive tracks; it would be nice to play them in a playable game.

On a related note, the 32X version of Virtua Racing may be the best one, particularly if you have a Japanese or modded system and the Japanese version so you have the only version which actually saves your times and such... but the Saturn version's better than people give it credit for, it really is. I know most people seem to dislike it, but I don't. Sure, without a racing wheel it's not much fun (and the game does NOT work with the 3D Controller or Mission Stick, remember), but if you do have the wheel, it's great! It's more of a sequel than a port, but I like the numerous added tracks and the circuit mode. The 32X version might be better if you want to play something more like the arcade game, but the Saturn game is a pretty solid racing game too.

For one weird V.R. note, I do find it quite weird how the 32X, Saturn, and PS2 versions of Virtua Racing each have exclusive added tracks that don't appear in any other version. All three games have the three tracks from the arcade game, but on top of that the 32X and PS2 games add two new exclusive tracks each, while the Saturn game has 7 exclusive tracks added. I know that the Saturn game was by Time Warner Interactive, not Sega, which probably explains why those are exclusive to that version, but it is a little odd that the PS2 version didn't bring back the 32X tracks at least... but of course, with controls as terrible as that games' are, it doesn't matter.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I got Boomerang for 90 and don't really like it. What can I flip it for on eBay these days?

I'm a huge, huge fan of Cotton and I don't exactly adore Boomerang. The controls and mechanics are straight out of Cotton 2 which was designed to be a slower, nearly puzzle-like shooter with command shots and huge hitboxes, but they tried to turn it into a more manic type of game with lots of aggressive enemies and it doesn't really work. I find the game sort of infuriating to play.

It's absolutely atrocious! The PS2 version may look nice to look at, but it's a pretty horrible game to actually play, unfortunately. Very poor controls. I was pretty disappointed after trying it, it's not worth playing at all really. It's too bad that it has two exclusive tracks; it would be nice to play them in a playable game.

On a related note, the 32X version of Virtua Racing may be the best one, particularly if you have a Japanese or modded system and the Japanese version so you have the only version which actually saves your times and such... but the Saturn version's better than people give it credit for, it really is. I know most people seem to dislike it, but I don't. Sure, without a racing wheel it's not much fun (and the game does NOT work with the 3D Controller or Mission Stick, remember), but if you do have the wheel, it's great! It's more of a sequel than a port, but I like the numerous added tracks and the circuit mode. The 32X version might be better if you want to play something more like the arcade game, but the Saturn game is a pretty solid racing game too.

For one weird V.R. note, I do find it quite weird how the 32X, Saturn, and PS2 versions of Virtua Racing each have exclusive added tracks that don't appear in any other version. All three games have the three tracks from the arcade game, but on top of that the 32X and PS2 games add two new exclusive tracks each, while the Saturn game has 7 exclusive tracks added. I know that the Saturn game was by Time Warner Interactive, not Sega, which probably explains why those are exclusive to that version, but it is a little odd that the PS2 version didn't bring back the 32X tracks at least... but of course, with controls as terrible as that games' are, it doesn't matter.

I was not aware that the PS2 VR had bad controls. I played it recently and it felt fine to me, but I don't have any other versions to compare it too. It runs 60fps on the PS2, which is nice.

I was not aware that the PS2 VR had bad controls. I played it recently and it felt fine to me, but I don't have any other versions to compare it too. It runs 60fps on the PS2, which is nice.

PS2 V.R. does not play like a Virtua Racing game. Play an actual Virtua Racing game, either the arcade version, Genesis, 32X, or Saturn, and you'll immediately notice how radically different the controls and handling are on PS2.

PS2 V.R. does not play like a Virtua Racing game. Play an actual Virtua Racing game, either the arcade version, Genesis, 32X, or Saturn, and you'll immediately notice how radically different the controls and handling are on PS2.

I will do! I've played it years ago in the arcade, but that's so back in my memory I have forgotten how it played. My only options are the Mega Drive or the Saturn version.

So, i do a series of vids on Sega imports, and so far all of them happen to be Saturn games, and this lead me to thinking as someone who collects and is always looking for awesome import games to talk about and play, i should really be in this thread. So here i am!

I just did this one for Deep Fear. For a game with a kind of shitty reputation, i actually ended up digging it more then i expected. It just not a very scary game. Its rough around the edges, but i enjoyed the ride.

Teknoman

So, i do a series of vids on Sega imports, and so far all of them happen to be Saturn games, and this lead me to thinking as someone who collects and is always looking for awesome import games to talk about and play, i should really be in this thread. So here i am!

I just did this one for Deep Fear. For a game with a kind of shitty reputation, i actually ended up digging it more then i expected. It just not a very scary game. Its rough around the edges, but i enjoyed the ride.

Ok so since you've recently played, please tell me I should be able to play disc 2 just fine with an action replay?

Ok so since you've recently played, please tell me I should be able to play disc 2 just fine with an action replay?

I use a modded system, actually. From what i've read up on (This is coming Sega-16), there is a work around.

"Whenever I've powered off my Saturn at disk switch points it's saved my place automatically. I can leave it alone for days and resume from the next disk. Try it, see if it works for you. If so all you'd need to do is lock down your system's lid spring, play to the switch point, power off, and switch disks. With this setup you could of course reverse steps three and four, but the whole process might not be needed".

BTails

I use a modded system, actually. From what i've read up on (This is coming Sega-16), there is a work around.

"Whenever I've powered off my Saturn at disk switch points it's saved my place automatically. I can leave it alone for days and resume from the next disk. Try it, see if it works for you. If so all you'd need to do is lock down your system's lid spring, play to the switch point, power off, and switch disks. With this setup you could of course reverse steps three and four, but the whole process might not be needed".

Good to know, I snagged a very cheap copy of the Japanese release of Deep Fear off of eBay a few months ago (I think is cost me about $6 CAD, including shipping). Great condition, but I haven't played more than the first few minutes though.

Khaz

Opening the CD lid on a Saturn automatically boots the BIOS. Games spanning on several CD save at the end of a CD, then the second disc starts normally and loads the save. This is regardless of how you boot your CD. There is no ingame swap.

Action Replay, modchip, swap, it doesn't matter as long as your disc starts and finds your save.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I actually prefer the look on fighters megamix, even though it is a lower resolution I think it's the colours brought in from all the characters into one game and light shading that appeals to me.

Fighters Megamix is a joy, but I'm not a fan of the graphical downgrade. I'd rather play VF2 any day.

On that note, didn't realize until yesterday that you can change your controls on the character select screen in VF2.

in 1995.

what is your problem, capcom?

StevieWhite

Dead or Alive was the first import game I ever purchased. That game really was a graphical triumph. There aren't too many 3d games on the Saturn that cone close.

Celine

Dead or Alive was the first import game I ever purchased. That game really was a graphical triumph. There aren't too many 3d games on the Saturn that cone close.
Yeah, Touge 2 was another good looking game by a third party (Atlus/Cave), same for Gungriffon and Grandia by Game Arts.

EDIT:
And of course Lobotomy games.

Top Bottom