• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

BTails

QleCk9Q.jpg

So I played some Panzer Dragoon today, first time I actually sat down to beat it, rather than just play a level or two. First off, MAN does the Saturn look great on the Framemeister! Seriously it's so crisp and clear...

Mmmmmm, scanlines...

I did pretty well, I think, getting through most levels with ease, and earned a few extra lives near the beginning, which helped. Got to the final boss with 2 credits in the bank. How hard can this guy be?

Well, on my second attempt, I got him down to just a sliver of life left before dying. No sweat, I'll beat him on my last life, and enjoy the credits, right? Nope, he wasted me the third time, unfortunately. I'd try again, but honestly time to take a break from mashing the fire button so quickly.

Here he is, taunting me... Damn giant dragon.

Fatnick

Afterburner 2?

Step 1: close eyes
Step 2: Roll a lot
Step 3: pray

i was helping my grandad clear out his garage the other day and found a collection of sat games including

Alien Trilogy, need for speed, sonic jam, space hulk, virtual fighter, die hard arcade, daytona, Mech Warrior 2 and the Panzer Dragoon Saga one disk demo!

I was worried that i'd lost DHA and Sonic Jam, but i'd completely forgotten that i'd bought/stashed the others. I got them all of ebay about a decade ago for a couple of quid a piece. Good times.

Teknoman

Afterburner 2?

Step 1: close eyes
Step 2: Roll a lot
Step 3: pray

i was helping my grandad clear out his garage the other day and found a collection of sat games including

Alien Trilogy, need for speed, sonic jam, space hulk, virtual fighter, die hard arcade, daytona, Mech Warrior 2 and the Panzer Dragoon Saga one disk demo!

I was worried that i'd lost DHA and Sonic Jam, but i'd completely forgotten that i'd bought/stashed the others. I got them all of ebay about a decade ago for a couple of quid a piece. Good times.

If you roll, do you instantly dodge missles? Also should I just stick to a certain speed? I'd using the 3D pad btw.

Fatnick

If you roll, do you instantly dodge missles? Also should I just stick to a certain speed? I'd using the 3D pad btw.

You arent invincible, but rolling helps. I also vary my speed (defaulting to high, then slowing when it gets busy)

I put emphasis on durvival rather than shooting. There are probably better players out there - i generally make it to the half way point.

Khaz

Man, Alien Trilogy doesn't get enough praise. It's right there next to Exhumed and Duke3D in the shooter gallery. An very underrated game imo.

gelf

I tend to think Exhumed/Powerslave gets a disservice being lumped into the shooter genre. Yes it has shooting but I see it as more of an adventure game. Especially when you start picking up the super powers that let you access new areas in previous levels.

Fatnick

Man, Alien Trilogy doesn't get enough praise. It's right there next to Exhumed and Duke3D in the shooter gallery. An very underrated game imo.

Yes, dodgy cutscenes and gorilla hands aside, its really good! I wanted to replay it ever since that dodgy Polygon Alien article the other day, and its holding up much better than i thought it would. I'd only ever played the ps version all the way through, and the saturn version is a great port. Is it still cheap?

cireza

Exhumed has many elements that remind me of Metroid Prime. It is an adventure game at the first person, and you have to gather new skills in order to access new areas.

Very good Saturn game.

gelf

Agree with the Metroid comparison. Have to give Exhumed great credit for being a somewhat metroidvanian first person game in the era when all games with that perspective where still called "Doom clones".

are tuo ready for tomorrow? :)

part of my collection (around 2009) and Sonic made with Hama Beads

my collection back in the day, actually even it's still splitted between Italy and Japan counts almost 180 titles (Cotton 2 and Clockwork Knight obviously have been replaced :D )

this was my attempt to DCharlie's contest "1000yen purchase"
today most of those game cannot found at those prices.......

#20yearsofSegaSaturn

Khaz

Sorry Panzer Dragoon, there's a new love in my life. My latest Working Designs pickup:

awww
I played it for the first time a few months ago, it's such a lovely game. Not very long, not very deep, not very difficult, but it has some real charm that makes you keep going, until the end. I really enjoyed it.

BTails

Sorry Panzer Dragoon, there's a new love in my life. My latest Working Designs pickup:

Damn, that's gorgeous. Definitely one to get if I ever see a good deal on it. The problem is explaining to my wife why I just paid $250 for a 19 year old video game.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
awww
I played it for the first time a few months ago, it's such a lovely game. Not very long, not very deep, not very difficult, but it has some real charm that makes you keep going, until the end. I really enjoyed it.

I never played the Sega Saturn version, but I played a Super Nintendo reproduction cart version of it and definitely agree with you on all points! I think the charm this game (and many other 2D and early 3D RPGs) oozes is severely lacking from the vast majority of the RPG genre these days.

Damn, that's gorgeous. Definitely one to get if I ever see a good deal on it. The problem is explaining to my wife why I just paid $250 for a 19 year old video game.

For sure man! I just got a new job and this is one of my personal holy grails, so I figured I would buy it to celebrate, haha. It probably helps that I'm still living the bachelor life too. Hope your wife let's you buy it one day!

Wereroku

I never played the Sega Saturn version, but I played a Super Nintendo reproduction cart version of it and definitely agree with you on all points! I think the charm this game (and many other 2D and early 3D RPGs) oozes is severely lacking from the vast majority of the RPG genre these days.

It is a really fun game and has some cool unlocks if you find all the collectibles. Sadly wish it was balanced a bit better since all you really use is Fuu. Also it has some of the coolest stickers you will never use.

Jamix012

Is there anyway to cheat the system and make 2 Saturn Netlink games somehow play in the same room? I'm curious even if it costs a fortune to pull off.

Khaz

Is there anyway to cheat the system and make 2 Saturn Netlink games somehow play in the same room? I'm curious even if it costs a fortune to pull off.

Netlink is via dialup, right? I would start by trying to plug one into the other. Dialup isn't a really complex technology. Else you have stuff to make a LAN for phones, though I don't know if dialup data can get through VoIP without being damaged due to compression, delays, etc.

Oooh interesting. Could you explain exactly what I'd have to do with one of these?
Well, I'm not hugely technically literate when it comes to legacy phone hardware, but it basically simulates a phone line.

You plug each modem into its respective port (like a router) and set "phone numbers" for each port. Set one modem to call out and the other to answer. Have the call out modem dial the assigned number of the port that the answering modem is hooked into.

They shake hands and you end up with a really complicated point to point.

And just because I feel like putting it somewhere in this post: POTS

BTails

Has anyone here played Virus? I've been looking at some videos on Youtube, and it looks very Snatcher/Policenauts. I was thinking of grabbing a copy (still pretty cheap on eBay), and trying to stumble through it using a couple guides I found online. Thoughts?

Beartruck

Welp, I just got the Saturn port of Waku Waku 7 after waiting 3 weeks for it to arrive in the mail, and I'd say it's a mixed bag. The game itself is a good fighter, no problems there, but as a port it kind of sucks. Breaking it down:

Pros:
-Lots of options in the options and versus mode, which I'm not sure is a thing every Saturn fighter has.

Cons:
-Load times are very prevalent, which is weird as this game uses the 1mb ram cart.
-Backgrounds are chunky pixelated messes, like someone cut the resolution for them in half and then blew it back up to full size.

Khaz

DataLink_and_Cable.JPG

The guy making this* is currently working on a revision with bluetooth and faster transfer speed! More importantly it means that he is still alive and is still working on his product. With the recent news of backup bypass with a custom action replay firmware, we could potentially see good stuff happening in the future.

*It's an adapter to read/write/dump your Saturn internal memory and load small homebrews, via USB. It's very cool to keep your saves safe on your computer, but you need an Action Replay with the com port to use it.

So, i recently did a video for Segabits about a Saturn game, and well this is a bit of shameless plugging, i'm also kind of curious: Did anyone else besides me actually like Scud The Disposable Assassin? I know its a bit flawed, but i really dug the things that did work with the game. I do wish it had a little more "meat on the bones", but still, i had a good time with it.

Hit Reset: Scud The Disposable Assassin

Teknoman

So, i recently did a video for Segabits about a Saturn game, and well this is a bit of shameless plugging, i'm also kind of curious: Did anyone else besides me actually like Scud The Disposable Assassin? I know its a bit flawed, but i really dug the things that did work with the game. I do wish it had a little more "meat on the bones", but still, i had a good time with it.

Hit Reset: Scud The Disposable Assassin

I liked the comics but never had a chance to play the game.

Personal top 10 looks like this

Sega Ages Outrun
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Soukyugurentai
Battle Garegga
Elevator Action Returns
Necronomicon
Street Fighter Zero 3
Vampire Savior
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Darius Gaiden

Yeah, a lot of arcade ports!

Shining Force 3 Scenario's 1-3 (2 & 3 never localised, fan patches here as well as a s1 ending fix and pd trans)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dragon Force
Mysteria : Realms of Lore
Story of Thor 2
Batsugun
Shining the Holy Ark
X-Multiply (part of "Image Fight and X-Multiply")
Guardian Heroes

This is an expensive list these days though. Also, picking a top ten is pretty damn hard, there's so many top tier games on the saturn

Huggers

Thanks. Been looking for some games to play on my previously never owned by me Sega Saturn. It was a system that eluded me at the time. Will grab some of the ones I can get hold of.

Top Bottom