• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

StevieWhite

Finally got a complete copy of Enemy Zero the other day, can't wait to tear into it this weekend.

Great game, but stagger your saves appropriately. I think there is a puzzle on the third disk that it is possible to permanently screw up (it has been a while, so it's difficult for me to get more specific than that).

Celine

Saturn in late '95 went from being laughed for its poor 3D performance to being the system which hosted some of the finest looking 3D games available at the time (Virtua Cop, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon 2).

Yu Suzuki unveiled SGL (Sega Graphic Library) that fully used Saturn capabilities at Tokyo Toy Show '95 using a Virtua Fighter 2 rolling demo:
http://youtu.be/97RYmWCcJVo?t=6m51s

The difference between the first VF1 port for Saturn and VF2 port is staggering!

Saturn in late '95 went from being laughed for its poor 3D performance to being the system which hosted some of the finest looking 3D games available at the time (Virtua Cop, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon 2).

Yu Suzuki unveiled SGL (Sega Graphic Library) that fully used Saturn capabilities at Tokyo Toy Show '95 using a Virtua Fighter 2 rolling demo:
http://youtu.be/97RYmWCcJVo?t=6m51s

The difference between the first VF1 port for Saturn and VF2 port is staggering!

Amazing what a difference there is when you give developers enough time to properly polish their games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Saturn turns 20 this month. Any festivities lined up?

Saturn and I share a birthday (not birth year ;__;)
Luckily this year it falls on a Saturday, and since I'll be away from my family who I normally celebrate it with, I'm just gonna play Saturn all day. Probably mix up the games I was playing back then (VF2, Gex, Clockwork Knight) with the games I play now (Galactic Attack, Shinobi Legions ... VF2)

Are most versions of Outrun in circulation now the second version?

Anecdotal, but I have a white Saturn (jp model 2) and mine runs fine. When in doubt, ask the seller to provide the number printed on the inner ring of the disc and match it up with 2nd pressing on satakore's database to ensure you have the right one.

Anecdotal, but I have a white Saturn (jp model 2) and mine runs fine. When in doubt, ask the seller to provide the number printed on the inner ring of the disc and match it up with 2nd pressing on satakore's database to ensure you have the right one.

Are the differences major enough to be on the lookout for the 2nd version?

Teknoman

Are the differences major enough to be on the lookout for the 2nd version?

The difference is that the 1st release only works on original model Saturns, lol

Hmm i'll try. You'd think sellers would have a disclaimer on that by this point.

On that note, how have I missed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnhegG7Qgw

It looks amazing!

KC-Slater

If you're looking to get Power Drift, the ideal home conversion is the Yu Suzuki Game Works vol. 1 release on Dreamcast. It's 60 fps like the arcade version instead of 30 fps which the Saturn port was limited to.

Wasn't there a code or something to force those 'SEGA Ages' Saturn-ports to run in 60 FPS?

Wasn't there a code or something to force those 'SEGA Ages' Saturn-ports to run in 60 FPS?

No. Some of the Sega Ages ports have 60 fps options, even when the arcade was 30 fps (like Outrun). Saturn Power Drift and Galaxy Force 2 however were both limited to 30fps where the arcade versions were 60.

It makes sense, as Galaxy Force II and Power Drift were on the more sophisticated Y Board hardware compared to other games in the Ages series for Saturn.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone want a copy of Deep Fear(JP)? I'll be straight with you all, it's an AWFUL game, but if it gets a good home, I'm happy.

Mildly tempting, but after watching Retsupurae's Wrongpurae of it, it strikes me as a game where you kinda need English to get the most out of it, doesn't it? Yeah, the voice-acting is in English, but all the item descriptions and info logs aren't.

Mildly tempting, but after watching Retsupurae's Wrongpurae of it, it strikes me as a game where you kinda need English to get the most out of it, doesn't it? Yeah, the voice-acting is in English, but all the item descriptions and info logs aren't.

This is true, but at the same time, you can generally make your way through it without too much trouble. I mean, its free.

Does anyone want a copy of Deep Fear(JP)? I'll be straight with you all, it's an AWFUL game, but if it gets a good home, I'm happy.

If I'm willing to give a home to a free copy of that Zombie FMV game on the SegaCD, I'm certainly up for giving a home to a JP only Resident Evil clone (if I'm thinking of the correct game). If you're ok with that (and there's anything I can do in reciprocation) let me know.

Teknoman

If I'm willing to give a home to a free copy of that Zombie FMV game on the SegaCD, I'm certainly up for giving a home to a JP only Resident Evil clone (if I'm thinking of the correct game). If you're ok with that (and there's anything I can do in reciprocation) let me know.

Personally i'd say just pay it forward at some point.

my 170th Saturn game

giochi_20141106.jpg

and today I was so luck, I found 2 title I was looking for a very long time...

the first is Mass Destruction, a tank battle action game

then, Crime Wave, 5 years I've searched for it, and finally I found in very good condition

ps : all my 172 SS games come with their own spine-card, that's the reason I didn't buy Crime Wave yet
and yes, living in Japan makes the thing much more easy :)

Khaz

the first is Mass Destruction, a tank battle action game

Ooh I was looking for this game too. For some reason the Euro version was really difficult to find a few years ago. I kind of gave up and now I just play the DOS version. What's the amount of Japanese in yours?

cj_iwakura

Where would it go to? Reciprocation would be nice, admittedly, so that's your call. (I do like Steam...)

Ooh I was looking for this game too. For some reason the Euro version was really difficult to find a few years ago. I kind of gave up and now I just play the DOS version. What's the amount of Japanese in yours?

I only have japanese games, but that's the situation for most of the systems I own.
The only one which has nearly 40% of western games is 360, cause most of pal games are region free, I have a j-ntsc 360 of course :D

You can see my SS games collection on satakore, nickname is MUR_ITA

I was actually talking about the game itself, how import-friendly it was ;)

The US version isn't that hard to find, you know... and it'll cost less than the Japanese version for sure, too.

As for the game, I know that Mass Destruction is better on Saturn than it is on Playstation; it's one of the only Western-developed third-party Saturn games from '97 actually developed for the Saturn first. As for versus the PC version, though, I have played the PC version before, but it seems pretty similar... the PC version supports higher resolutions I think, but it's not exactly a huge step up visually. It's a good game on any platform, though, well worth getting. And if you want it on a console the Saturn's the way to go, and the US version seems to be the cheapest by a good margin.

Never owned a Sega Saturn before (did borrow one 10+ years ago though) and thinking of getting a UK one from Ebay and getting loads of fighters for it (xmen games, Street fighters, Sega fighters etc) as well as the best Sega games.

Whats the difference between the MK1 and MK2 models?

Can someone explain the 1/4 meg ram expansion to me? is it a must have? does some UK games not work without it etc

grendelrt

Never owned a Sega Saturn before (did borrow one 10+ years ago though) and thinking of getting a UK one from Ebay and getting loads of fighters for it (xmen games, Street fighters, Sega fighters etc) as well as the best Sega games.

Can someone explain the 1/4 meg ram expansion to me? is it a must have? does some UK games not work without it etc

If you get a action replay 4 in 1 you will have both ram expansions and can play imports. They are pretty common, I paid around 30 for one earlier this year on ebay.

Khaz

The shape. The first model has a blinking access LED. There are many internal revisions but they don't infer in any way in your gaming or modding experience, you can do everything on both. Just choose the most aesthetically pleasing to you or the cheapest, whatever suits your needs.

No European or American games need the cart extensions. The most common way to play imports, the Action Replay 4in1, also conveniently serves as RAM expansion so you don't have to bother with it.

I'd suggest you to look into 60Hz modding if you plan to get a European console. Unlike the Playstation, frequency coding is decided by the console and not by the disc. Which means everything (local and import) will play at 50Hz on an unmodded European console. Quite a few games were "PAL-optimised", although I find the process dubious and deceiving for some of them.

The shape. The first model has a blinking access LED. There are many internal revisions but they don't infer in any way in your gaming or modding experience, you can do everything on both. Just choose the most aesthetically pleasing to you or the cheapest, whatever suits your needs.

I've heard the MK1 outputs a better RGB picture. This true?

Khaz

I've heard the MK1 outputs a better RGB picture. This true?

Doubtful. Most of the time when there's a difference it's because the newer revision uses a cheaper video encoder chip, meaning a worse composite / s-video. Word of mouth transforms this into "the Model 1 has better video out" (still somewhat true) and then to "better RGB out" which is completely false.

What's "better RGB" anyway? You already have the three channels separated, they were never merged so can't bleed on each other like Composite. So they are completely pixel accurate. difference in brightness maybe? nothing you can't adjust on your display or in the cable. RGB comes straight out of the GPU into your display, with the occasional capacitor or resistor along the way to adjust brightness. When there is a Video encoder chip, it just goes through it without being touched.

Then there are exceptions, like some Megadrive revisions displaying "jailbars" because the board is poorly designed (but you can correct it by tapping RGB straight from the chip). Or like the French NES, which has an additional module to convert Composite back to RGB (the result is quite messy.)

So maybe there are problems that I'm unaware of? But having both models, I never noticed anything. I only ever used them in RGB though, anything else is just painful.

Seik

Banned
I'm hunting for a wild copy of ThunderForce V.

I have it on PSX already, but I feel a need to get it on Saturn, just because. I know it has some things going for it that makes it better than it's PSX counterpart though.

I really liked Deep Fear when it came out. Probably doesn't hold up too well now I guess. I have an EU copy which is apparently quite valuable now?

I'm hunting for a wild copy of ThunderForce V.

I have it on PSX already, but I feel a need to get it on Saturn, just because. I know it has some things going for it that makes it better than it's PSX counterpart though.
I still kick myself for not picking it up for $50ish from a local mom n' pop shop about 6 years ago.

piggychan

There is a 2 disc version of thunderforce V if you want to collect that too. The 2nd disc is basically music tracks from the thunderforce games.

tf5_sp-f.jpg

Top Bottom