• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

btrboyev

SSF has been in a usable state for me for literally the past 10 years. Sure, it wasn't good a decade ago, but more than a handful of games were perfectly playable back then. I was using it as a replacement for the actual console after my Saturn bit the dust in a car wreck in the summer of '05.

I don't know how the myths of Saturn emulation persist.

Disagree. Usable is the key word, but many many games do not run 100%. Either they crash, have graphical glitches or the music doesn't sound right.

Speed is good however. The Saturn emulation community is basically dead and I never see it as good as other emulated systems.

I recently got a japanese controller in the mail and have to ask - are my shoulder buttons busted or do all controllers basically have no give at all? I can barely tell if I'm depressing the shoulders or not as there isn't a solid click.

May also be too used to the Xbox One controller which have satisfying clicks.

alf717

I recently got a japanese controller in the mail and have to ask - are my shoulder buttons busted or do all controllers basically have no give at all? I can barely tell if I'm depressing the shoulders or not as there isn't a solid click.

May also be too used to the Xbox One controller which have satisfying clicks.

I have the same issue as well. My R clicks but the L is kind of mushy. Seems to work fine when I need it though. I cannibalized a 360 controller for the LB and RB buttons to fix the mode buttons on two genesis controllers. I'm wondering if the same can be done for the Saturn shoulder buttons.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just picked up Virtua Fighter Remix. The improved graphics are almost too good, I'm not even sure it feels like I'm playing the original Virtua Fighter anymore. Thinking about picking up the 32x version just to have some early 3D jank, lol.

I have the same issue as well. My R clicks but the L is kind of mushy. Seems to work fine when I need it though. I cannibalized a 360 controller for the LB and RB buttons to fix the mode buttons on two genesis controllers. I'm wondering if the same can be done for the Saturn shoulder buttons.

Care to explain how you did this, or post a couple of pictures?

alf717

Care to explain how you did this, or post a couple of pictures?

Sure.

I took apart a broken 360 controller and removed the LB and RB buttons with a soldering iron which I mark with the red square. It can be tricky getting to those buttons on a 360 controller because they are blocked by a piece of white plastic. So some extra disassembly is required if you want to salvage the part to the pressure sensitive LT and RT buttons.

neo1hxu9z.png

Then I took apart my two Genesis six button controllers removed the busted mode button and put in the 360 ones.

modebuu17.png

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I alway get terrible lighting when I take pictures and the flash floods my pictures with too much brightness.

Sure.

I took apart a broken 360 controller and removed the LB and RB buttons with a soldering iron which I mark with the red square. It can be tricky getting to those buttons on a 360 controller because they are blocked by a piece of white plastic. So some extra disassembly is required if you want to salvage the part to the pressure sensitive LT and RT buttons.

Then I took apart my two Genesis six button controllers removed the busted mode button and put in the 360 ones.

modebuu17.png

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I alway get terrible lighting when I take pictures and the flash floods my pictures with too much brightness.
Thanks for that, interesting to see how it was done! I don't have any skills in rewiring stuff sadly though.

Please stop butchering controllers for switches that cost $1 for 20 pieces on ebay.
It was from a broken 360 controller!

alf717

Please stop butchering controllers for switches that cost $1 for 20 pieces on ebay.

Rather butcher a broken controller then just toss it out. It is a waste of working parts.

Also using these for a Saturn controller may not work as well as the originals if at all. The Saturn's are slightly larger and seem to have more play in them. On another forum someone recommend using 6mm x 6mm x 5.85mm tact switches but also suggest replacing both as these are not exactly the same as the originals and you will noticed the difference from the original and the replacement.

So I'm playing Warcraft 2 with an action replay cart, and when I go to save it says I don't have enough memory. My system memory is cleared out. 510/510 and the cart is 7581/8190. In game it says I have 461 available but I'm short 125. There is an area to select device, but it says no memory card is available. It has a password system in place but that doesn't help when I'm an hour into a map. Anyone else encounter this with any other game?

Edit: Ok the manual says a maximum number of blocks required to save is 850 and to get a ram cart, which I have. I guess my action replay isn't good enough.

Jamix012

So I'm playing Warcraft 2 with an action replay cart, and when I go to save it says I don't have enough memory. My system memory is cleared out. 510/510 and the cart is 7581/8190. In game it says I have 461 available but I'm short 125. There is an area to select device, but it says no memory card is available. It has a password system in place but that doesn't help when I'm an hour into a map. Anyone else encounter this with any other game?

Edit: Ok the manual says a maximum number of blocks required to save is 850 and to get a ram cart, which I have. I guess my action replay isn't good enough.

I haven't had a game that saves directly to the Action Replay. I needed to use an officially licensed cart , or transfer things over in the AR menu to get things saved.

Khaz

The Action replay isn't a memory card, it's more like a "backup" card: you can upload and restore your internal memory on it, but your can't use it to save directly from your games. It seems this games needs a real memcard.

Thanks guys. I'll look up to see what other games have save files bigger than the systems memory to see if its worth it. I really don't want to be swapping carts out of that slot.

Khaz

Thanks guys. I'll look up to see what other games have save files bigger than the systems memory to see if its worth it. I really don't want to be swapping carts out of that slot.

Replays and ghosts modes from Sega Rally and Daytona USA need a memory cartridge.

Borman

Jollyroger just posted the first (ever?) screenshot of the work Point of View was doing for the Sega Saturn version of Sonic Xtreme. For all the flack that they got from Chris Senn and Co's side of the story, it seems like they were making something that was more than competent, especially compared to what STI had made on the Saturn. Truly amazing work.

GiPL7BS.jpg

IrishNinja

^man, i really do look forward to the day when we can play at least a bit of that on saturn...it was like the TJ&E III DC beta, just made my weekend. and that does look better than expected, too.

Celine

Jollyroger just posted the first (ever?) screenshot of the work Point of View was doing for the Sega Saturn version of Sonic Xtreme. For all the flack that they got from Chris Senn and Co's side of the story, it seems like they were making something that was more than competent, especially compared to what STI had made on the Saturn. Truly amazing work.
Looks like the Bug! games.

Gagaman

Starting to try out capping Sega Saturn footage from actual hardware and when games run at a higher resolution, like the 10-player mode in Saturn Bomberman and the menus in Sonic Jam, the capture twitches every so often, maybe every couple seconds. Tried both RGB scart and S-Video and get the same results. Anyone else experienced this?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Staring to try out capping Sega Saturn footage from actual hardware and when games run at a higher resolution, like the 10-player mode in Saturn Bomberman and the menus in Sonic Jam, the capture twitches every so often, maybe every couple seconds. Tried both RGB scart and S-Video and get the same results. Anyone else experienced this?
Looks fine on my setup.

I get a very brief signal drop whenever there's a resolution change, but it's fine otherwise.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah I don't get the drop out but instead get this. It's pretty minor so I could probably live with it but still kind of annoying..

YnrMKit.gif
Looks like something in your setup is applying some half-baked deinterlacing. See if you can turn it off.

Gagaman

Had a rummage through all my settings on my DVD recorder and the only thing that stops it doing this is running at PAL 50hz, which is obviously not preferred. For reference my set up is RGB Scart > Sony DVD recorder > Component > Happuage PVR 1 > PC.

copy of virus finally arrived and was eager to get started only to find my saturn battery died :\

played about 20 minutes, seems cool and luckily there's a very thorough translation faq on gamefaqs done by a professional translator! in addition, also scored shining wisdom and dragon force for 150 combined on ebay.

jerry1594

Does anyone own a Samsung Saturn? I'd love to have one but apparently their as rare as hen's teeth because Koreans throw their stuff away when they don't want it?

Mzo

New Metal Jesus + Caffeine Media Girl episode if anyone wants to get mad and yell at the TV like old people.

I should say it's a top 10 list. It's pretty amazing.

Top 10 games I got for free and don't know anything else exists basically

Celine

New Metal Jesus + Caffeine Media Girl episode if anyone wants to get mad and yell at the TV like old people.

Says an awful lot about a consoles library if a Bomberman game is rated at the top. It's a decent game, like all Bomberman games but it's not a systems killer app on any other console. If this exact game had been released on the PS1 it wouldn't get in the top 10. Plus Super Bomberman on the SNES and thr turbo grafx versions are slightly better (although let's face it all are much the same bar minor option varieties)
Bwahaha, kids these days...

The videos of that Jesus dude always feel so misinformed to me.

kamakazi5

Ok, so I'm looking to get into import games and want to get a large lot off eBay. I found one that has a lot I like but I have a question on shipping. I don't really mind the long wait but is sea shipping safe to do? It's $60 cheaper than the other shipping but is it worth the savings? I'm just wanting to get a bunch of stuff since even if half is stuff I don't want I can trade them in to my local store. They will pay $5 even for sports and racing games.

Also, has anyone here made a trip to Japan and brought back a bunch of stuff? Are prices still pretty good? I get essentially free flights and was thinking about going later this year and with the main intention of picking up games. Thanks in advance.

Bar81

Ok, so I'm looking to get into import games and want to get a large lot off eBay. I found one that has a lot I like but I have a question on shipping. I don't really mind the long wait but is sea shipping safe to do? It's $60 cheaper than the other shipping but is it worth the savings? I'm just wanting to get a bunch of stuff since even if half is stuff I don't want I can trade them in to my local store. They will pay $5 even for sports and racing games.

Just make sure there is tracking and you should be fine.

IrishNinja

I should say it's a top 10 list. It's pretty amazing.

Top 10 games I got for free and don't know anything else exists basically

TnRrscl.gif

StevieWhite

Just worked through SDF Macross and had a blast - not particularly great, but a fun little ride. Really evocative of the anime (which I hadn't seen since the early 90s). Cool stuff.

Didn't really see much of the point in transforming into a mecha - lets you aim your shots a little more, but really didn't help much. Did I miss something?

MurderOfPoes

Neo Member
Edit: It seems that the solution was somewhere in deleting Setting.ini, which is odd because I just compared both old and new files and they're identical.

Hi everyone, I've been subscribed to this thread for quite a while now, and I apologize for making my first post a plead for help, but I've spend a couple of hours searching and attempting some fixes for the following issue, with no success.

SSF 0.12 beta R4 used to work fine but now each time I try to switch to fullscreen, it crashes and gives a Direct3D error:

IDirect3D9::CreateDevice() error.
File : ./Direct3D9.cpp
Line : 1148
Function : Direct3D9::_InitializeDirect3D9

When it fails, I always have to go and change the ScreenMode="1" line in SSF.ini from 1 (fullscreen) to 0 (windowed), or the emulator will crash every time it boots.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I tried downloading the DirectX9.0c update from MS but I always get the web installer that just tells me everything is fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this (besides just playing the games in windowed mode)?
Thanks.

flohen95

Well, the biggest problem is that surface takes so long (at least to Europe) that the PayPal buyer protection runs out before the package will arrive. Meaning that if it doesn't, you are fucked. However, I did the same thing roughly half a year ago, and after 3 - 4 months of waiting, the package arrived safely with no damage to any game, and they all worked as described. It's risky, and you definitely should be as sure as possible that the seller is a 'good guy', but it does work.

Also, I had tracking on it, but it only tracks as soon as it arrives in your country (and you can see when it was initially shipped). Just keep that in mind. If you're patient, I'd say it's worth it.

Edit:
PayPal buyer protection was increased from 90 days to 180 days recently.

It was? That's fantastic. Haven't really ordered from eBay in a while so I didn't notice.

Well, the biggest problem is that surface takes so long (at least to Europe) that the PayPal buyer protection runs out before the package will arrive. Meaning that if it doesn't, you are fucked. However, I did the same thing roughly half a year ago, and after 3 - 4 months of waiting, the package arrived safely with no damage to any game, and they all worked as described. It's risky, and you definitely should be as sure as possible that the seller is a 'good guy', but it does work.

Also, I had tracking on it, but it only tracks as soon as it arrives in your country (and you can see when it was initially shipped). Just keep that in mind. If you're patient, I'd say it's worth it.

PayPal buyer protection was increased from 90 days to 180 days recently. You should be good.

kamakazi5

Thanks for the responses. After speaking with the guy a couple of times I decided just to do the normal air shipping. He seems genuinely nice and super helpful but in the end I felt more comfortable with air. If I do buy any other large lots I may try sea shipping (especially now knowing the PayPal protection is 180 days).

Huggers

Not sure whether to flog my modded Saturn or not. I have too many things I want to buy and tbh my Saturn doesn't get used anywhere near as much as my other consoles. Do Ebay have a problem with selling modded stuff? Of course no 'backups' would be included

Ive just recently been interested in getting saturn games again. I got the system when it was $99 in the late 90s and came with Daytona, Virtua Cop 2, and Virtua Fighter 2.

I actually enjoyed the system quite a bit and the game were relatively cheap at that time.

I remember enjoying

Xmen vs SF
MSH vs SF
Darius Gaiden
Ultimate MK3 (incredible port)
MK2 (not the port i was hoping for)
Sega Rally 2
Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Fighter's Megamix

I wish I would have kept it and actually bought more games for it at the time as prices are sky high now.

The one I have is a model 1 and i got it for $30 with two shit US controllers and a power cable. No video but I have a scart RGB on the way.

Has anyone any experience with modding these consoles? I am going to buy some games secondhand and when i find them, but some of the $100+ rarities I probably won't ever really buy, and if I do I want to try them out first.

I guess the nice thing about the high prices is you can buy a game, play it a few weeks, and sell it for almost the same you paid.

Bwahaha, kids these days...

The videos of that Jesus dude always feel so misinformed to me.

They certainly aren't the most knowledgeable but I enjoy his enthusiasm and positive attitude. He's fairly good on camera, that goes a long way. I kind of wish he would do more than just lists and top games lists though.

Exr

How much does Darius Gaiden go for these days? Love that game but im assuming its price has skyrocketed like other retro games.

Top Bottom