• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

They changed some things in the XBLA version that I'm not a huge fan of, though. IIRC, Options+ was completely excised (so no hitbox-view mode or anything), and changed the way lives/continues were handed out in Saturn/Story Mode (you get an extra continue in Saturn Mode for every hour spent in Arcade Mode, up to Free Play; you get an extra life in Story Mode for every hour spent in Arcade Mode, up to 99, which is a far cry from Saturn Mode's infinite; less of an issue if you're not a quarter-feeder, but, well, I am).

The optional Ikaruga scoring mode was a good idea, though.

Jamix012

How does the Saturn version of Warcraft 2 compare to the PS1 version? I imagine the PC version is the best, but which console did it better?

Well GAF, I took the first step today and traded in a few PS3 games and older system controllers and cables for a Saturn today.

Found out one of the vendors at my local flea market has a good chunk of the american release RPG's
at ebay prices :(

I already had one Saturn controller that I found for $2 at a garage sale last summer. Can't wait to dig into this awesome library. I've been watching quite a few Saturn youtube vids.

Yeah my saturn came today, haven't touched one since launch. I only have Virtual On, Virtual Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop and Virtua Racing. I have Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade, Virtual Fighter Remix and Nights coming soon. Also just got my Action Replay cart. I forgot how much Nights kills my thumbs, I might need to get an analog pad.

my every other year saturn kick has returned by holy fffffffffffffffffffuck at some of these price increases

everything is now 40-50 dollars more expensive

RiZ III

Yeah my saturn came today, haven't touched one since launch. I only have Virtual On, Virtual Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop and Virtua Racing. I have Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade, Virtual Fighter Remix and Nights coming soon. Also just got my Action Replay cart. I forgot how much Nights kills my thumbs, I might need to get an analog pad.

All those are good, but NiGHTS and Die Hard Arcade are particularly good. NiGHTS never gets old. Ever. The music is infectious. I recently put on DHA and before I knew it I had actually gone through the whole thing. By far the best 3d brawler I've played.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I much prefer the XBLA versions of RSG and Guardian Heroes to their Saturn incarnations, but I can't help but keep my physical copies. There's little doubt in my mind that my Saturn library is going to outlive my XBLA library.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SSF has been in a usable state for me for literally the past 10 years. Sure, it wasn't good a decade ago, but more than a handful of games were perfectly playable back then. I was using it as a replacement for the actual console after my Saturn bit the dust in a car wreck in the summer of '05.

I don't know how the myths of Saturn emulation persist.

I have noticed rendering issues in the most recent version of SSF I tried, though. Rendering issues that inexplicably weren't in earlier versions. Like, whole scanlines of certain layers just flat-out don't render one frame, but do render the next (while another scanline decides to play hooky). It's pretty ugly, and in a game like Powerslave, incredibly distracting since it affects all of the level geometry in addition to the weapon sprites and stuff.

Speaking of Powerslave, guess what Doom 64 EX developer Kaiser's been teasing:

rn3ahCq.png

Admittedly I only found this image on Something Awful, and am not sure where the guy there sourced it from, but a cursory look at Kaiser's forums does indeed confrim he's attempting a SlaveDriverEX (a fact he hid in a forum description, since there are no threads on the matter, but nevertheless that's all the proof it takes). As somebody who's a big fan of what Lobotomy was up to with Powerslave but who years to play through it properly with a mouse-and-keyboard (ignoring that I've already beaten most of the game), this very much earns a nodding Jack Nicholson.

YesJackNicholson.gif

Only question is whether or not that's the PS1 or the Saturn version of the game. Similar, but subtly different.

IrishNinja

^damn

also, and maybe this is simple but i'm kinda tired: how does Laser Rank work in Panzer Dragoon Saga? i'm at the return to Georgius (Pael didn't like the parts i brought back) and once inside the ship, there's a red door i can't open, meter looks like it wants a higher laser level and i'm at 1. I'm level 15 & i can totally sell stuff for weapon parts but none of that seems to raise it, either...and there's all kinds've stuff around that looks breakable but when i highlight it, i just see a meter showing 2 or 3 bars, so i know i'm slipping somewhere.

gelf

SSF has been in a usable state for me for literally the past 10 years. Sure, it wasn't good a decade ago, but more than a handful of games were perfectly playable back then. I was using it as a replacement for the actual console after my Saturn bit the dust in a car wreck in the summer of '05.

I don't know how the myths of Saturn emulation persist.

Indeed, the last time I recall struggling to run SSF was on a Pentium 4 system. Moving up to a Core 2 Duo got me full speed emulation for anything I tried so any recent processor should be fine now. I wonder if people are confused since it lacks iso support and has no option to render at higher resolutions like most emulators.

I do hope Yabause can keep improving as well though as it is nice to use when it does work with a game. Its much better then it used to be.

StevieWhite

The guy that shared it is suggesting that he may have routed the connection through a PC. Never had a Netlink myself, so it's cool to just see it in action. I'll check back in when he shares more.

Jamix012

The guy that shared it is suggesting that he may have routed the connection through a PC. Never had a Netlink myself, so it's cool to just see it in action. I'll check back in when he shares more.

Netlink was never down. It's always been a direct phone line link outside of Japan, so it's still very much playable today with a few workarounds.

Exuro

Just got a saturn in a craigslist deal with 7 games + fighting stick. How did I do? I wanted to get just the virtua fighters + xmen but since the others were CIB and were cheap I decided to just grab all of them that he had for a deal.

http://i.imgur.com/htTfLmK.jpg

Ignore the other stuff I got from the haul.

I know I need to look out for panzer dragoon and whatnot, and that I'll need to get a gun for virtua cop. I am excited to play xmen though, I remember playing the arcade version back when my parents would bring us to chucke cheese.

RiZ III

Just got a saturn in a craigslist deal with 7 games + fighting stick. How did I do? I wanted to get just the virtua fighters + xmen but since the others were CIB and were cheap I decided to just grab all of them that he had for a deal.

http://i.imgur.com/htTfLmK.jpg

Ignore the other stuff I got from the haul.

I know I need to look out for panzer dragoon and whatnot, and that I'll need to get a gun for virtua cop. I am excited to play xmen though, I remember playing the arcade version back when my parents would bring us to chucke cheese.

Niiice. Die Hard is a personal favorite of mine. The guy had a good collection.

Khaz

You'll play Street Fighter: The Movie: The game for a laugh but you'll quickly realise that behind cheesy digitised sprites hides a very solid gameplay (directly lifted from
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
)

You'll play Street Fighter: The Movie: The game for a laugh but you'll quickly realise that behind cheesy digitised sprites hides a very solid gameplay (directly lifted from
)

If I remember correctly the arcade version played much differently and even had MK-style inputs. They went back to the drawing board for the home port.

If I remember correctly the arcade version played much differently and even had MK-style inputs. They went back to the drawing board for the home port.

I think I remember hearing that Capcom Japan ended up doing the home ports

There was a whole big long series of posts on I think the Shoryuken forums from a guy who worked on the game and he talked about its development process

I think the home ports are literally just running on the SF2 engine, but with The Movie assets.

I think I remember hearing that Capcom Japan ended up doing the home ports

There was a whole big long series of posts on I think the Shoryuken forums from a guy who worked on the game and he talked about its development process

I think the home ports are literally just running on the SF2 engine, but with The Movie assets.

Yeah, I remember reading some stuff written by a guy who worked on the arcade version. I presume it was that. The home version has little to do with it apart for reusing a lot of the graphics... I was somewhat pleasantly surprised to find SF The Movie for Saturn to actually be a decent SFII clone, I was expecting much worse things.

Slermy

)

This is so true. I've been meaning to pick up a copy. My roommate in college had it (he was a bit Street Fighter Fan) and we'd play this from time to time to bring out good ol' Captain Sawada.

any peeps here play virus?

36502_front.jpg

bought it for a 5 spot on ebay--seems like a neato policenauts/snatcher type game. my japanese is lawl but i don't give a fuq.

BTails

any peeps here play virus?

bought it for a 5 spot on ebay--seems like a neato policenauts/snatcher type game. my japanese is lawl but i don't give a fuq.

I've been thinking about doing the same, looks awesome from what I've seen on Youtube. I look forward to your impressions!

thomasos

I'm trying to get my launch Saturn back in working order. I just replaced the battery, but now I need to figure out how to remedy an issue where the system always thinks the disc tray is open unless I set something on top of it to apply just a little bit of pressure. I assume it's a sensor problem of some sort. Any suggestions?

Khaz

I'm trying to get my launch Saturn back in working order. I just replaced the battery, but now I need to figure out how to remedy an issue where the system always thinks the disc tray is open unless I set something on top of it to apply just a little bit of pressure. I assume it's a sensor problem of some sort. Any suggestions?

The obvious one: open your console and check what's wrong. I suppose the switch is a bit tired and you may want to stick stuff on it so it makes contact properly with the lid.

thomasos

The obvious one: open your console and check what's wrong. I suppose the switch is a bit tired and you may want to stick stuff on it so it makes contact properly with the lid.

I'm not terribly experienced with this sort of thing, so just looking at the console's innards doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to identify what's wrong.

I couldn't find any videos or decent instructions on how to deal with this particular issue, so I'm hoping a fellow gaffer might have some experience with it and be able to provide a bit of instruction. I'm also wondering if there are any precautions I need to take when opening the console.

Khaz

I'm not terribly experienced with this sort of thing, so just looking at the console's innards doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to identify what's wrong.

I couldn't find any videos or decent instructions on how to deal with this particular issue, so I'm hoping a fellow gaffer might have some experience with it and be able to provide a bit of instruction. I'm also wondering if there are any precautions I need to take when opening the console.

It's purely mechanical, a plastic prong is pressing a switch when the lid is closed. Depending on your model the switch is either on the back of the console on the motherboard itself, or it's a small board screwed to the top part of the shell. It's pretty straightforward once you look at it, but post pictures here if you need advice.

Either way you will have to open the console at some point if you want to correct the issue, or keep having stuff on top of it when playing. The Saturn isn't really difficult to open, you won't even have to disassemble the shielding. You just want to take a look at the top part of the shell, which is the first thing to come off. Just be gentle and try not to lose any screw ;)

thomasos

It's purely mechanical, a plastic prong is pressing a switch when the lid is closed. Depending on your model the switch is either on the back of the console on the motherboard itself, or it's a small board screwed to the top part of the shell. It's pretty straightforward once you look at it, but post pictures here if you need advice.

Either way you will have to open the console at some point if you want to correct the issue, or keep having stuff on top of it when playing. The Saturn isn't really difficult to open, you won't even have to disassemble the shielding. You just want to take a look at the top part of the shell, which is the first thing to come off. Just be gentle and try not to lose any screw ;)

Upon closer inspection, it looks like maybe the issue isn't with the switch but rather that the disc lid doesn't close flush.

gnyI5Va.jpg

Any idea how to remedy that?

Upon closer inspection, it looks like maybe the issue isn't with the switch but rather that the disc lid doesn't close flush.

gnyI5Va.jpg

Any idea how to remedy that?

Best thing to do is take the console apart. It's really not that hard, only 5 or 6 phillips head screws, then lift the top off. The console I have, the disk dive would not open and close, and it was something as simple as putting it back on the hinge. Open it up, take a look post pictures.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I have a Japanese import backup memory card, and I notice lately that the console hasn't been reading it... after a few wipes-over with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, it gets read but when I go to access it, there's a corrupt 1-block file on there but all my saves are fine. It seems to be quite pokey lately. Anybody else have problems like this?

alf717

I need to hurry up and get a The Action Replay Plus before it gets out of a price range I want to pay.

They haven't gone up much to be honest. I ordered mine in 2008 and it was $30 and some odd cents. Average now is about $36.

On a side note. Since when did shipping from Canada get so expensive? I order stuff from Japan that cost anywhere from $4 - $12 and a Canadian eBayer wants $25 to ship some games.

Celine

I have noticed rendering issues in the most recent version of SSF I tried, though. Rendering issues that inexplicably weren't in earlier versions. Like, whole scanlines of certain layers just flat-out don't render one frame, but do render the next (while another scanline decides to play hooky). It's pretty ugly, and in a game like Powerslave, incredibly distracting since it affects all of the level geometry in addition to the weapon sprites and stuff.

Speaking of Powerslave, guess what Doom 64 EX developer Kaiser's been teasing:

Admittedly I only found this image on Something Awful, and am not sure where the guy there sourced it from, but a cursory look at Kaiser's forums does indeed confrim he's attempting a SlaveDriverEX (a fact he hid in a forum description, since there are no threads on the matter, but nevertheless that's all the proof it takes). As somebody who's a big fan of what Lobotomy was up to with Powerslave but who years to play through it properly with a mouse-and-keyboard (ignoring that I've already beaten most of the game), this very much earns a nodding Jack Nicholson.

Only question is whether or not that's the PS1 or the Saturn version of the game. Similar, but subtly different.
Yeah, he seems interested in Exhumed though his current main project is Turok Ex.

Teknoman

I need to hurry up and get a The Action Replay Plus before it gets out of a price range I want to pay.

GAF BST thread. I lucked up a couple years ago for like 15 bucks, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Also I think im gonna put Galactic Attack to the side for awhile. Finally got to Area 7 today (which I had no idea even existed) and just lost all continues lol. MAN this game is hard.

Khaz

Action replays are getting expensive? Damn, I was thinking of getting another one in black to put Pseudo Saturn or whatever it's called. I'm keeping my original with the Parallel port safe just in case.

Action replays are getting expensive?.
They aren't, you can still get them new for the same price as usual on Play-Asia (and probably elsewhere as well). That would change if they stop making them though, of course, but I don't know, is that likely to happen?

So I have a Japanese import backup memory card, and I notice lately that the console hasn't been reading it... after a few wipes-over with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, it gets read but when I go to access it, there's a corrupt 1-block file on there but all my saves are fine. It seems to be quite pokey lately. Anybody else have problems like this?

I have a Japanese memory cart (the plain gray kind) and they're very touchy and unreliable for everyone (apparently due in part to the Saturn's slot being poorly designed which causes read problems). I actually just got done backing up some more of my saves using it but as always, it required carefully blowing on it NES style many times and reinserting it over and over until it would read. I also have a weird 1 block corrupt save on mine which is labeled with garbled unreadable text, maybe this is common?

Also someone posted pages back that a modder has discovered a way to possibly add a large SRAM memory block to the system which if workable would permanently eliminate the need for battery and save carts. Man, would that be nice.

alf717

Action replays are getting expensive? Damn, I was thinking of getting another one in black to put Pseudo Saturn or whatever it's called. I'm keeping my original with the Parallel port safe just in case.

Funny you mentioned Pseudo Saturn. I was gonna say something on this but I left it out. Looks like the save function will be making its way back into Pseudo Saturn.

Top Bottom