• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

baphomet

Not sure whether to flog my modded Saturn or not. I have too many things I want to buy and tbh my Saturn doesn't get used anywhere near as much as my other consoles. Do Ebay have a problem with selling modded stuff? Of course no 'backups' would be included

Thell pull it down in a second.

You can always write "mod chip installed" on a sheet of paper in the main picture, but that's about it. Even then they'll pull it down if they notice it.

I would just keep it personanlly. Also I'll answer your pm later today.

Not to mention Gekirindan and Metal Black

Taito Legends 2 is seriously one of the best value propositions in games.
Yeah, everything is amazing about it except for the tragic absence of tate support for any of the shmups (I really wish it had it!), and the bad slowdown some games have in the PS2 version, which is the only one the US got (Dungeon Magic...). There's also that the four-player beat 'em ups are two player only on PS2; you'll have to import the European Xbox version for 4 player mode. Fortunately the EU Xbox version is region-free, interestingly. It also has a couple of games not on the PS2 version, and vice versa. Still no tate support, though. :( It's still absolutely worth having, though!

Do the Japanese PS2 Taito collections have tate mode? I haven't played them.

Huggers

Thell pull it down in a second.

You can always write "mod chip installed" on a sheet of paper in the main picture, but that's about it. Even then they'll pull it down if they notice it.

I would just keep it personanlly. Also I'll answer your pm later today.

Thought that was the case. Maybe I'll hang onto it. One of those things I might regret selling. Ah yeah cheers mate, appreciated

sarcoa

How much does Darius Gaiden go for these days? Love that game but im assuming its price has skyrocketed like other retro games.
eBay BIN's are around $35-$40, but I won an auction for a complete, zero-crack case copy for $25 shipped just two months ago. Patience is your friend.

Just bought a japanese copy of resident evil. I suppose this is that start of my saturn collection. I still dont even own one yet. Gaf can you recommend me some affordable games? Im open to imports as long as they can be played with no knowledge of japanese.

Just bought a japanese copy of resident evil. I suppose this is that start of my saturn collection. I still dont even own one yet. Gaf can you recommend me some affordable games? Im open to imports as long as they can be played with no knowledge of japanese.

What kind of games do you like? My library is still small but I recommend all of these and they can be found cheap with the exception of the obvious 3, which I had to take a loan out to acquire. Battle Monsters has to be the "worst" best game I have ever played. If you find that for $10 grab it.

jbsRFiKEuda70Q.jpg

StevieWhite

If fighting games are your thing, there are lots of great Capcom SNK fighters for the system that you could probably import for cheap. Virtually any Sega arcade port can be imported for very cheaply as well - they require next to know knowledge of Japanese.

Tough to find for cheap, but Dragon Force is probably my favorite game for the console.

http://www.subspacebc.com/dragon-force/

If fighting games are your thing, there are lots of great Capcom SNK fighters for the system that you could probably import for cheap. Virtually any Sega arcade port can be imported for very cheaply as well - they require next to know knowledge of Japanese.

Tough to find for cheap, but Dragon Force is probably my favorite game for the console.

http://www.subspacebc.com/dragon-force/

Are the Japanese versions of north american games still playable? looking at GEX and clock work knight specifically.

What kind of games do you like? My library is still small but I recommend all of these and they can be found cheap with the exception of the obvious 3, which I had to take a loan out to acquire. Battle Monsters has to be the "worst" best game I have ever played. If you find that for $10 grab it.

jbsRFiKEuda70Q.jpg
I like pretty much anything except for fighters,shmups, or racers, not really big fan of those. I do want die hard and nights.

HAHA! I know. I am open to trying out some of them as long as they have some sort of interesting mechanic or hook. I remember seeing a fighting game where you can fight as a car. That's something I would get.

Thats this game.

Fighters_Megamix_Coverart.png

The Virtua Cop light gun games are very fun if your into that.

Here is a good top 100 Saturn games in 10 min

Also I love giving shootouts to GameSack which did a nice episode on the Saturn as well. The also have a lot of videos titled "Left in Japan" which would help you on some imports. That can be found here,

i don't care for the language but Alpha Omega Sin did 3 Videos on the Sega Saturns library

Part 1

Part 2
&
Part 3

Sega Saturn is a hidden gem really and some research needs to be done before diving in. Just make sure there are enough games worthing playing before investing into it.

Hope this helps.

Celine

I like pretty much anything except for fighters,shmups, or racers, not really big fan of those. I do want die hard and nights.
Elevator Action Returns, Bubble Symphony, Magical Drop 3, Astal, Panzer Dragoon 2 (if it counts), Powerslave.

EAR is on the expensive side the others not so much.

StevieWhite

Are the Japanese versions of north american games still playable? looking at GEX and clock work knight specifically.

No, you'll need to mod the Saturn or pick up a pro-action replay. PAR's aren't prohibitively expensive, and it's worth picking one up if you are going to get a Saturn collection going. Japanese games are often cheaper than their Western counterparts.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I bought a copy of Deep Fear about 10 years ago. I put it in and played it for maybe 4 minutes. It just seemed so bad. I wonder if I should go back to it. I love classic resident evil.

Khaz

I've been spending the evening playing Fighters Megamix. My original save was sadly long gone so I started unlocking stuff again. I just got Janet from Virtua Cop, damn girl knows how to kick ass! She can even shoot her gun (complete with the !Reload! warning sound)

Thats this game.

Fighters_Megamix_Coverart.png

The Virtua Cop light gun games are very fun if your into that.

Here is a good top 100 Saturn games in 10 min

Also I love giving shootouts to GameSack which did a nice episode on the Saturn as well. The also have a lot of videos titled "Left in Japan" which would help you on some imports. That can be found here,

i don't care for the language but Alpha Omega Sin did 3 Videos on the Sega Saturns library

Part 1

Part 2
&
Part 3

Sega Saturn is a hidden gem really and some research needs to be done before diving in. Just make sure there are enough games worthing playing before investing into it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the video links watched them all. I will be getting the fighters remix for sure.

Elevator Action Returns, Bubble Symphony, Magical Drop 3, Astal, Panzer Dragoon 2 (if it counts), Powerslave.

EAR is on the expensive side the others not so much.

No, you'll need to mod the Saturn or pick up a pro-action replay. PAR's aren't prohibitively expensive, and it's worth picking one up if you are going to get a Saturn collection going. Japanese games are often cheaper than their Western counterparts.
Ok thanks guys for all the help. :p

Seems like you picked the wrong console.

yeah... Saturn shines with those genres.
Not that I don't like fighting games and racers its just I only find them entertaining when playing with other people. Unfortunately for me my friends don't like playing old games. I find most shumps to be very difficult, if there are easier ones on the Saturn please recommend.

Khaz

Not that I don't like fighting games and racers its just I only find them entertaining when playing with other people. Unfortunately for me my friends don't like playing old games. I find most shumps to be very difficult, if there are easier ones on the Saturn please recommend.

Don't give them the opportunity to choose. Unplug and pack all your other consoles before inviting them, then they can only play the Saturn with you. And if they don't want to play video games, well you can still get drunk.
Besides, Fighters Megamix is a genuinely cool game to play and to show, with power moves easy to learn and to do (hold back and hit, or double tap to run then hit), no qcf, shoryukens or charge moves. Lots of fun to have. Make sure to unlock the hidden characters beforehand though, so you can play a car or a giant stuffed bear with no joints.

And you want a copy of Saturn Bomberman and multitaps if they don't like fighters. Up to ten players!

Don't give them the opportunity to choose. Unplug and pack all your other consoles before inviting them, then they can only play the Saturn with you. And if they don't want to play video games, well you can still get drunk.
Besides, Fighters Megamix is a genuinely cool game to play and to show, with power moves easy to learn and to do (hold back and hit, or double tap to run then hit), no qcf, shoryukens or charge moves. Lots of fun to have. Make sure to unlock the hidden characters beforehand though, so you can play a car or a giant stuffed bear with no joints.

And you want a copy of Saturn Bomberman and multitaps if they don't like fighters. Up to ten players!

Hahaha. I will try to get them to play mega mix. Maybe if I get them drunk enough they wont notice. I just ordered a japanese copy from ebay. :D
Edit: Will also be getting bomber man. :p

"Be smart! Fighting foes isn't the only way to survive this horror!"

Thank you Capcom, for informing your Japanese audience of this important gameplay element ... in English.

I don't know where this version of Resident Evil got the reputation for having better looking backdrops, but it does seem to run a little quicker than the PS1 ver. Or at least the animations are sped up. Chris feels surprisingly agile.

And as for Deep Fear, yes, go play it. It's a bit of a clusterfuck, but it's a somewhat memorable one and it's a lot of fun.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm glad people are talking about Fighters Megamix. It's easy to pass the game off as a novelty, but there's a lot beneath the surface.

cJ2dIF2.jpg

Connections with Virtua Fighter 3

Those who know me know that I love VF3. It's my favorite VF entry when comparing the arcade games (can't beat the TLC that 4EVO got on the PS2), so its connection with VF3 is something which I find particularly interesting about Fighters Megamix. Hiroshi Kataoka, the game's director, hails from the Fighting Vipers series while Daichi Katagiri, game coordinator, directed Virtua Fighter 3. Beyond Katagiri there doesn't seem to be much spill-over between the two projects - not particularly surprising considering that Virtua Fighter 3 arrived in Japanese arcades a mere 3 months before Fighters Megamix was released.

tumblr_njj7ivBhlc1slig2vo1_400.gif

On to the juicy stuff. Every VF character in FM sports their VF3 movelist - since it took 3 years for VF3 to get a console port, if you wanted to learn your moves at home, Fighters Megamix was your only option. It's a good thing then that Fighters Megamix marks the first time we got a command training mode. (The following year, Last Bronx would expand on this, and its frustratingly absent from the Dreamcast version of Virtua Fighter 3tb.) As someone pointed out, Janet sports Aoi's movelist although she's missing some of her throws (to compensate she can slug you full of lead). There is no repping of Taka-Arashi, sadly - despite Jeff Gerstmann's apparent dislike of the character, I think he's pretty cool. Wish more people played him. Sidesteps are in, although I'm not sure the VF3 Korean step can be done in FM. If anyone feels like giving this a go, I'd be interested in knowing.

tumblr_nk21ukXsLk1slig2vo1_500.gif

The rest are mostly just Easter egg material - Siba's stage, for example, is Wolf's from VF3, and his theme is the VF3 attract theme. Jeffry, Lion and Akira's models in the intro seem to be completely lifted from the arcade version of VF3, while other characters are rendered versions of their VF2 incarnation.

Tech

Despite its VF3 connections, Fighters Megamix appears to be using the Fighting Vipers combat engine. VF3 combos don't really work, but you can do some really cooky stuff against the wall. When compared to Saturn VF2, much visual fidelity has been lost to compensate for -- actually, I'm not sure. The enormous roster? It clearly is running at a lower resolution than VF2 did, and I'm pretty sure that it's running at a low frame rate on some stages as well (would be interested if someone can verify). Stage geometry is far less complicated, at least on VF stages, forgoing VF2's rings for something more closely resembling a Tekken stage. The game does, interestingly, sport a more advanced lighting engine than VF2 Saturn, and maybe even VF2 arcade. Check it out:

tumblr_nk1yxwfbJP1slig2vo1_500.gif

Shadows don't do that in VF2!

I can lose an afternoon to Fighters Megamix easily. While to most it's just "that crazy fighting game where you can play as a car" I hope the next time you play it you experiment with something, have some fun. And, by the way, if you're going to use Hornet, you have to break your armor (4P+K) to access any of the good moves. ;)

tumblr_nk20umJmFn1slig2vo1_400.gif

Valkyria

Banned
I'm glad people are talking about Fighters Megamix. It's easy to pass the game off as a novelty, but there's a lot beneath the surface.

cJ2dIF2.jpg

Connections with Virtua Fighter 3

Those who know me know that I love VF3. It's my favorite VF entry when comparing the arcade games (can't beat the TLC that 4EVO got on the PS2), so its connection with VF3 is something which I find particularly interesting about Fighters Megamix. Hiroshi Kataoka, the game's director, hails from the Fighting Vipers series while Daichi Katagiri, game coordinator, directed Virtua Fighter 3. Beyond Katagiri there doesn't seem to be much spill-over between the two projects - not particularly surprising considering that Virtua Fighter 3 arrived in Japanese arcades a mere 3 months before Fighters Megamix was released.

tumblr_njj7ivBhlc1slig2vo1_400.gif

On to the juicy stuff. Every VF character in FM sports their VF3 movelist - since it took 3 years for VF3 to get a console port, if you wanted to learn your moves at home, Fighters Megamix was your only option. It's a good thing then that Fighters Megamix marks the first time we got a command training mode. (The following year, Last Bronx would expand on this, and its frustratingly absent from the Dreamcast version of Virtua Fighter 3tb.) As someone pointed out, Janet sports Aoi's movelist although she's missing some of her throws (to compensate she can slug you full of lead). There is no repping of Taka-Arashi, sadly - despite Jeff Gerstmann's apparent dislike of the character, I think he's pretty cool. Wish more people played him. Sidesteps are in, although I'm not sure the VF3 Korean step can be done in FM. If anyone feels like giving this a go, I'd be interested in knowing.

tumblr_nk21ukXsLk1slig2vo1_500.gif

The rest are mostly just Easter egg material - Siba's stage, for example, is Wolf's from VF3, and his theme is the VF3 attract theme. Jeffry, Lion and Akira's models in the intro seem to be completely lifted from the arcade version of VF3, while other characters are rendered versions of their VF2 incarnation.

Tech

Despite its VF3 connections, Fighters Megamix appears to be using the Fighting Vipers combat engine. VF3 combos don't really work, but you can do some really cooky stuff against the wall. When compared to Saturn VF2, much visual fidelity has been lost to compensate for -- actually, I'm not sure. The enormous roster? It clearly is running at a lower resolution than VF2 did, and I'm pretty sure that it's running at a low frame rate on some stages as well (would be interested if someone can verify). Stage geometry is far less complicated, at least on VF stages, forgoing VF2's rings for something more closely resembling a Tekken stage. The game does, interestingly, sport a more advanced lighting engine than VF2 Saturn, and maybe even VF2 arcade. Check it out:

tumblr_nk1yxwfbJP1slig2vo1_500.gif

Shadows don't do that in VF2!

I can lose an afternoon to Fighters Megamix easily. While to most it's just "that crazy fighting game where you can play as a car" I hope the next time you play it you experiment with something, have some fun. And, by the way, if you're going to use Hornet, you have to break your armor (4P+K) to access any of the good moves. ;)

tumblr_nk20umJmFn1slig2vo1_400.gif

What an awesome post, now I want to get home a play it. I'm not a really big fighting games fan, eventhough I have quite a collection on Saturn. But the unlockables in this game look nice.

Great writeup. I absolutely love Megamix. Our anime club back in the day used to have this game on constantly along with KOF 96/97 and Street Fighter Alpha 2. Saturn was a real hit with our group. I'll never forget the meeting when Xmen Vs. SF was released, myself along with 2 other friends had bought it and we had 3 tv's going with the game and it was played nearly all day.

Great writeup. I absolutely love Megamix. Our anime club back in the day used to have this game on constantly along with KOF 96/97 and Street Fighter Alpha 2. Saturn was a real hit with our group. I'll never forget the meeting when Xmen Vs. SF was released, myself along with 2 other friends had bought it and we had 3 tv's going with the game and it was played nearly all day.

That sounds so awesome. Nothing like local play with friends.

I really miss that. :(

Celine

Tech

High resolution was traded for Gourad shading/Lightning which wasn't an in-hardware feature like PS1.

gelf

I always thought it was the Viper Stage walls and the breakable body armour that caused the graphical hit to the characters and resolution when compared to VF2. If it wasn't those I wish they would have not bothered with that shading and kept it high res.

Top Bottom