• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Valkyria

Banned
Well I say the console is quite sturdy but if you intend on switching cables around then switch off the machine.

I've never really encountered any problems with any japanese console and I've been importing since 1988 with the original white pc engine. I guess the CRT televisions I've owned over the years are multi regional.

What I meant was that if I can use my European original RGB connected to a Japanese Saturn without a problem.

Khaz

saturn.png

The difference is you will send a sync signal on the Scart switch pin, and it may drive your display crazy.
Better get an NTSC Scart cable.

Yes, something like that can be used to convert one to the other. It isn't really needed though the only thing I can think of that takes JP21 that a lot of people use are those upscalers, and you can get a better SCART adapter just for use on it if you want elsewhere.

The only thing I am not sure about is for JP systems that do not use the same cables as EURO/NA systems. I have absolutely no experience with those and do not know if it is harder to get a SCART cable for them instead of a JP21 cable.

JLynn

I've been hunting for a copy for about a year, knowing ebay prices from JP would run me $165-$180 without shipping. I didn't need the version with the 4MB ram cart, which would save a few bucks. Long story short is I saw a copy on a site I've been a fan of for years, marked at $139 and complete -- including shipping. While this sure isn't cheap, its a crazy good price considering current market value. I ordered it sight unseen, crossing my fingers.

I was shocked to find that the copy I got is easily a 9.5/10. No scratches, manual is pristine and the spincard looks like new. Can't wait to give it a whirl on my BVM-20F1U via RGB this weekend!!!!

I'm late in saying this but congrats on getting Zero 3. It's IMO the best version of the game and a true showing of the Saturn's 2D skills. I loved it so much I bought it twice.

JLynn

not stupid at all. I do regret selling mine many years ago on ebay. Had a US copy with official figurines I bought that were made by SEGA during a trip to hong kong long ago.

mkn2.jpg

I always wanted the Hikaru disc. I carried the Fuu disc to a Katsucon a few years ago and when the gaming dealer caught wind he offered $100 cash for just the disc. He didn't care I had the complete case at home.

I declined the offer as I have sentimental value over how I got it.

cireza

Castlevania came in the mail. It's pretty good so far.
Saturn version is a real disappointment. The display has been stretched to fit with the resolution of the console. The game ran at 256 * 224 on the PS1. But the Saturn cannot go below 320 * 224.

Saturn version is a real disappointment. The display has been stretched to fit with the resolution of the console. The game ran at 256 * 224 on the PS1. But the Saturn cannot go below 320 * 224.

Lots of performance issues too. Poor effort from KCE Nagoya on the port.

Mercutio

I will forever stand by my assessment that it is required reading for the true SotN diehard due to the Maria boss fight, though.

MathUser

I don't regret the purchase so far. I played this on SSF and it actually ran slower on that than on this. So this version is better than expected.

cj_iwakura

I always wanted the Hikaru disc. I carried the Fuu disc to a Katsucon a few years ago and when the gaming dealer caught wind he offered $100 cash for just the disc. He didn't care I had the complete case at home.

I declined the offer as I have sentimental value over how I got it.

Mine's the Umi disc. I also bought a second copy for a friend around five years ago, factory sealed... and it was the same thing.

Voliko

Is it normal for the left side of this thing to get so hot? Model 2. Had it for years but never seriously played it till today.

Shinobi Legions is subpar, especially after Shinobi 3, but the live action cutscenes are "so bad it's good" funny.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Is it normal for the left side of this thing to get so hot? Model 2. Had it for years but never seriously played it till today.

Shinobi Legions is subpar, especially after Shinobi 3, but the live action cutscenes are "so bad it's good" funny.
I think I like it more than shinobi 3 tbh
much more sword centric

Bakkus

I'm considering getting one of these, but I have some questions:

Which regional version is considered the best? Regardless of this it has to be modified region free, but still, are some of them better than others at certain things even after region unlocking them?
Which accessories are reccomended?
Are there any other things in general I should know about the console in order to maximize the enjoyment?

oneida

I'm considering getting one of these, but I have some questions:

Which regional version is considered the best? Regardless of this it has to be modified region free, but still, are some of them better than others at certain things even after region unlocking them?
Which accessories are reccomended?
Are there any other things in general I should know about the console in order to maximize the enjoyment?
you don't need to mod the saturn to break the region lock, all you need is the action replay 4 in 1 cart. this means that all regions are virtually the same - the best region is the one you can buy for the least money. for recommended accessories, besides the action replay cart, make sure you're using a model 2 controller as its one of the best controllers ever made. to maximize enjoyment, replace the battery so you don't need to set the clock everytime you boot up the console

IrishNinja

...well, shit
my modded model 2 is my baby, and AGES OutRun is totally on my list for the extra music tracks...damn. might just stick with the WD version i have then

Mzo

All copies of OutRun (JP) work on model 1s

Only the second pressing work on the model 2

Is this also an issue with Space Harrier? I had gotten a free J Space Harrier years ago that would stutter and lock up, so I just assumed was bad. Gave it to a friend to try out and he had no issues playing it.

US Sega Ages works, though.

Bakkus

you don't need to mod the saturn to break the region lock, all you need is the action replay 4 in 1 cart. this means that all regions are virtually the same - the best region is the one you can buy for the least money. for recommended accessories, besides the action replay cart, make sure you're using a model 2 controller as its one of the best controllers ever made. to maximize enjoyment, replace the battery so you don't need to set the clock everytime you boot up the console

Ah, so do all regions support 60hz, even PAL? Are controllers region free? Does the system use memory cards or something akin to that?

Are there also any popular games with notable regional differences? Like with PAL VS NTSC games.

Khaz

you need a switch mod for 50/60Hz. There are also mods to switch regions or making the console region-free if you don't want to use the Action Replay.

The Saturn has a good amount of internal memory, but it's powered by a battery so you want to backup frequently.

Are there also any popular games with notable regional differences? Like with PAL VS NTSC games.

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html
Most of the time, optimised means expanded field of view but the ratio is still fat and the gameplay is still slower. SEGA games usually have their gameplay speed corrected.

Sega Rally (USA) is an early version with minor stuff missing.
Fighting Vipers (J) has an exclusive character, Pepsiman.
An early version of Virtua Fighter Kids (J) had tea branding.
Sega Worldwide Soccer / Victory Goal uses different teams depending of the European or Japanese edition.
I don't remember variations for other games.

jerry1594

Anybody ever deal with sunken buttons on controllers? After not using my sls pads for about a week I picked them up and the A button feels lower than usual, and lower than the B and C buttons. Its bugging the hell out of me.

Bakkus

Thanks for showing me that site. Shame about the first two Panzer Dragoons. Atleast Saga is 60hz. Looks like i'm need to get an Action Replay regardless of which version I end up buying. Do you have any game reccommendations? i'm already interested in the Panzer Dragoon games, especially the crazy expensive Saga. also Dragon Force, Astal, Keio 2, mabye Parodius.

Voliko

Ah, so do all regions support 60hz, even PAL? Are controllers region free? Does the system use memory cards or something akin to that?

Apparently WD took some liberties with Shining Wisdom and the PAL translation is more faithful to the original, retaining ties to earlier Shining games. Never played it personally.

Coda

I really wish Hyper Duel was cheaper. It looks badass.

I picked up Kingdom Grandprix. Not really sure I like it really, was intrigued by the concept but the game is almost too fast for me.

Huggers

Hyper Duel is incredible. Visual feast! I prefer it to Gareega even though arguably Gareega has more nuances and depth. Both must haves though imo

Teknoman

...well, shit
my modded model 2 is my baby, and AGES OutRun is totally on my list for the extra music tracks...damn. might just stick with the WD version i have then

I got lucky then. Model 2 Saturn, Outrun runs like it should.

I really wish Hyper Duel was cheaper. It looks badass.

I picked up Kingdom Grandprix. Not really sure I like it really, was intrigued by the concept but the game is almost too fast for me.

Kingdom GP just takes some getting used to. Hang in the front alot.

Battle Garegga is mine, wish it was Souky's price....hnnnghhh
also i totally just picked up the case for Batsugun on the cheap for no reason, guess ill put my burn in there as a placeholder haha

Hyper Duel is incredible. Visual feast! I prefer it to Gareega even though arguably Gareega has more nuances and depth. Both must haves though imo

I got my bonus, and im definitely putting the majority in the bank...but I want to take a percent of it and snag a "big" game. Kinda got my eye on Hyperduel but I wish it was at least at 150.

Its PDS level now. Of course theres also Burning Rangers and on the other side, Crusader of Centy.

oneida

Thanks for showing me that site. Shame about the first two Panzer Dragoons. Atleast Saga is 60hz. Looks like i'm need to get an Action Replay regardless of which version I end up buying. Do you have any game reccommendations? i'm already interested in the Panzer Dragoon games, especially the crazy expensive Saga. also Dragon Force, Astal, Keio 2, mabye Parodius.
the essential saturn shmups (imo) are soukyogurentai, galactic attack and darius gaiden. luckily, they're also the most affordable.
VF2 is a treat and a great way to spend your afternoon. also try last bronx.
shining force iii IS all it's cracked up to be.

Bakkus

the essential saturn shmups (imo) are soukyogurentai, galactic attack and darius gaiden. luckily, they're also the most affordable.
VF2 is a treat and a great way to spend your afternoon. also try last bronx.
shining force iii IS all it's cracked up to be.

Isn't the non japanese versions of Shining Force 3 incomplete?

Top Bottom