• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Khaz

I know I could just google this, but are there translation patches for the non us released scenarios? It has been what has kept me from really wanting to get SF3.

They're nearly finished too. Episode 1 is done, and the rest is in beta test. You will encounter spelling mistakes and formatting errors, but everything is in English.
You need an original disc
or a copy and a software to mount it

Of course, you need a way to play backups on your console too.

Kalkano

Banned
I know I could just google this, but are there translation patches for the non us released scenarios? It has been what has kept me from really wanting to get SF3.

High quality ones, now. You NEED to play this game as a whole. It's the definition of epic. I even played them on my actual Saturn.

jerry1594

Does the saturn dpad come right off? I have like 7 pads from different manufacturers for the saturn and pc and only the white pc one can be pulled off as far as I can tell

Teknoman

Speaking of...ended up winning a couple games off Ebay from the same seller a good month ago (imports) and still haven't received them (combined shipment).

Last time the tracking updated was Feb.10th saying "Origin post is preparing shipment". Seller said they would inquire about it, but that was back on monday. Not sure how long it takes to get an inquiry response from the Japanese postal service, but nothing yet.

At this point it looks like I might just have to ask for a refund...

IrishNinja

If you bought all three scenarios you could mail in for a premium disk in Japan.

It let you fight classic bosses from the series, using characters from all 3 scenarios of SF3. It also had character artwork, the soundtrack, an interview, commercials...

It's definitely the most expensive of the SF3 disks.

damn, that sounds cool! might have to check that out!

I have Battle Garegga, my favorite game ever, and a white Sega Saturn. Anyone else enjoy the game as much as I do?

man Garegga is one of my favorite SHMUPs on the system but no way i can afford a legit copy, haha

So anyone else just use the 3D analog pad as a normal controller / every day game controller?

ive done this, the model 2 controller is my default but right now i'm using the 3D analog on PDS and just leave it in for everything else lately

They're nearly finished too. Episode 1 is done, and the rest is in beta test. You will encounter spelling mistakes and formatting errors, but everything is in English.
You need an original disc
or a copy and a software to mount it

Of course, you need a way to play backups on your console too.

That is something I really should look into. Never modded my Saturn and only played games from my region on it. Don't even have one of dem action replay deals since I just keep a memory card plugged into mine.

Valkyria

Banned
Here are my promised pictures.

eSLTQtx.jpg

TnLiy5c.jpg

TmNXm4D.jpg

xBoqJ9c.jpg

Y2S7LlI.jpg

Now I hope it would be easier to understand why some spine cards make games look better.

Teknoman

Speaking of...ended up winning a couple games off Ebay from the same seller a good month ago (imports) and still haven't received them (combined shipment).

Last time the tracking updated was Feb.10th saying "Origin post is preparing shipment". Seller said they would inquire about it, but that was back on monday. Not sure how long it takes to get an inquiry response from the Japanese postal service, but nothing yet.

How long would you guys wait for Sokyugurentai + Metal Black anyway?

Have played Alien Trilogy for a couple of days and I really like it.
The Doom style gameplay matches in a good way with the controller, even if sometimes it's difficult to target a moving Alien with the d-pad.
You get a real "I'm alone" feeling and it's not easy, I had to try 4 times the first level before completing it with enough energy and ammos; it's nice in level 2 you can go through level 3 or 4 based on the way you finish it (even if level 3 it's just a countdown stage in which you can grab ammos and shields while trying to reach the exit as fast as the time reaches the limit)
As I said the game is not easy and you feel scared when an Alien is approaching to you, while the smallest ones literally "come outta the f*cking walls" :D
Definitively a solid title, even the graphic is not bad considering it's a 1996 fps title running on a 1994 hardware.

Are there other interesting fps titles on SS ?

piggychan

Yes, Tengai Makyo IV The apocalypse

if you don't mind wading through japanese text TMIV is an amazing RPG with so many fantastic and weird elements.

battle within a pop up book
DSC02320.jpg

you can design a character for a brief chapter too.
DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

EDIT:

and I just love the music tracks in that game. Even the bosses can break into a song and dance before a battle !

if you don't mind wading through japanese text TMIV is an amazing RPG with so many fantastic and weird elements.

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

EDIT:

and I just love the music tracks in that game. Even the bosses can break into a song and dance before a battle !

Well, i'm a bit sold on this now

Is anyone else using a framemeister mini with their Saturn?

I had a weird flickering issue where the "black" portions of any screen would sometimes flicker (for example, portions of the background in the door transitions during Resident Evil). I assumed it was my Saturn, until I noticed in RE2 on Dreamcast and the color correction page revealed that it was simply flickering in certain areas of the black spectrum and crushing my blacks was the only way to solve it (by turning up the "black" level on the framemeister itself).

(I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology here).

Valkyria

Banned

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I want to play this game so bad. I don't think that any one would translate it, but if I find a good text guide I should play. My Japanese is not going as fast as I would have like it neither. But thanks for the info, the game seems more rad that what I believed.

Sinople

I'm 20 years LTTP but I finally bought a Saturn last month with a couple of games
(a lot, actually)
while they're still affordable here (Japan).
It gives me access to a lot of titles I've never tried or didn't even know until now (Solo Crisis, Marika, Terra Phantastica, Wachen Röder...) and just more goodness from my favorite gen.

Is anyone else using a framemeister mini with their Saturn?

I do, and have noticed nothing of the sort. Maybe a problem with your cable?

Celine

I'm 20 years LTTP but I finally bought a Saturn last month with a couple of games
(a lot, actually)
while they're still affordable here (Japan).
It gives me access to a lot of titles I've never tried or didn't even know until now (Solo Crisis, Marika, Terra Phantastica, Wachen Röder...) and just more goodness from my favorite gen.
It's good the word on Solo Crisis is spreading
now if only I could read japanese ...

IrishNinja

yeah, i play saturn on my framemeister alla time, fortunately none of those problems show up so im joining the others & saying its likely your cable

I forgot to mention, I'm running it with S-Video, because the RGB cables are either difficult to find or are extremely expensive. Could that be it?

sarcoa

I'm in a similar situation. I won a Japanese Saturn from a seller I've bought plenty of Japanese Dreamcast and Saturn games through (all of which have arrived in a reasonable 2-3 weeks), but I won the Saturn in early January and it's still not here. I asked about it, they replied that it would take 2-3 months, and actually gave me a tracking number that's said "Origin post is preparing shipment" for over a month. A bit worried but their feedback is mostly positive.

I forgot to mention, I'm running it with S-Video, because the RGB cables are either difficult to find or are extremely expensive. Could that be it?

Probably, the best solution should be trying with a different cable (maybe you have A/V ?) and see what happens.
If the problem persists, it's your console (or TV or FM ?), if not, it's clearly the cable

MathUser

The saturn I ordered came in the mail today. Now I just have to wait for castlevania. The battery was dead so I had to replace it.

Probably, the best solution should be trying with a different cable (maybe you have A/V ?) and see what happens.
If the problem persists, it's your console (or TV or FM ?), if not, it's clearly the cable

It's happening with my Dreamcast as well, so I was thinking that it was the framemeister itself ...

UMGAWA

I'm in a similar situation. I won a Japanese Saturn from a seller I've bought plenty of Japanese Dreamcast and Saturn games through (all of which have arrived in a reasonable 2-3 weeks), but I won the Saturn in early January and it's still not here. I asked about it, they replied that it would take 2-3 months, and actually gave me a tracking number that's said "Origin post is preparing shipment" for over a month. A bit worried but their feedback is mostly positive.

I deal with a similar type of seller, I got warned that there was a delay in shipping lately due to a disagreement with the shipping unions or something like that. I can't find anything on it, perhaps its true.

It's all about having fun, not how expensive the games are. Sell what your not playing, so you can afford the high priced games.

Yes, if you buy, play and resell, nothing is very expensive.

I got the scart cable in the mail today and hooked it up. Looks beautiful.

I only have virtua fighter and Daytona USA but I actually really enjoy these versions.

I think Daytona plays really really well and feels like the arcade. It looks ugly but plays well. I like it more than the championship edition.

How playable is the japanese version of burning rangers? I Know no japanese. I also ordered a japanese white saturn. So is there specific rgb cables for the japanese saturns?

How playable is the japanese version of burning rangers? I Know no japanese. I also ordered a japanese white saturn. So is there specific rgb cables for the japanese saturns?

To be honest? while I haven't played my English copy in a long time, I think you might not be able to be enjoy it much since you're being guided through the levels via radio communications.

Teknoman

I deal with a similar type of seller, I got warned that there was a delay in shipping lately due to a disagreement with the shipping unions or something like that. I can't find anything on it, perhaps its true.

I wonder if this is true. I mean it would explain whats up, but on the same note, it would be nice if the seller could find out and at least give some concrete info. I really dont want to ask for a refund, but at this point I dunno.

This is the seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/directfromj?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754 Hell, even if you look at the most recent feedback, people are saying how "fast" the shipping was. Unless they submitted a review before getting the game...

EDIT: "It's a little strange because I've the same problem with at least 10 or 12 packages sent to USA at the same period. I think there is a problem with the flight who carried them.
If want, please make a refund request, and I will refund you. If package appears after, I will tell you a new payment."

Well thats pretty calming. Pretty much the same mindset I had...if they eventually show up, i'll pay the amount again.

Khaz

I'm currently greatly enjoying Soukyugurentai. The screen can be messy sometimes due to the 3D objects, but I like the Lock-on system, it reminds me of Panzer Dragoon. I don't know if playing with a stick helps but I'm putting my HSS-0136 to good use! One credit currently brings me up to the 1-2 boss, and I can almost have him! Almost.

I'm reminded that Soukyugurentai supports analog steering but I haven't tried it yet. I wonder if there's any advantage over an arcade stick, which would be digital.

sarcoa

I wonder if this is true. I mean it would explain whats up, but on the same note, it would be nice if the seller could find out and at least give some concrete info. I really dont want to ask for a refund, but at this point I dunno.
Same situation. I would look at the guy's feedback, especially on similar items like consoles, and see "fast shipping great seller" etc for stuff that ended less than a week beforehand. No one seemed to be waiting as long as me.

That being said, the same day I made my last post, this showed up at my door

So don't give up hope! This stuff seems to roll in eventually.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

This is the seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/directfromj?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754 Hell, even if you look at the most recent feedback, people are saying how "fast" the shipping was. Unless they submitted a review before getting the game...

I'm in the EXACT same situation as you, same seller too! I bought a Saturn game around the same time (Elan Doree, since someone earlier in this thread mentioned it!) and I haven't received anything. Shipping information doesn't say anything either.

It's not just this seller too, I ordered some manga off Amazon Japan the same day. One reached me okay, the other is floating in limbo somewhere, though it doesn't have a tracking number. I guess if there's shipping disputes then that explains it.

SpotAnime

Me three. Same issue, different seller. I bought a bunch of Famitsu Wave DVDs from three different sellers early February. One arrived with tracking in about two weeks. The other two haven't arrived yet.

The sellers have high feedback, so I'm just going to write the items off as a loss, and if they arrive then it's a bonus. I know first hand what a pain it is to ship internationally, and sellers are basically screwed once it leaves their shores. Understanding that, I'd rather assume part of the risk rather than put someone else out, or heaven forbid cause them to stop sending internationally altogether.

Coda

Just bought a Japanese Saturn in white (not faded either) with Princess Crown and X-Men vs Street Fighter with the 4 mb RAM cart. Also bought a SCART to component transcoder. Beyond excited for it and I'll post pics once its setup. Now all I need is a SCART cable...

piggychan

Just bought a Japanese Saturn in white (not faded either) with Princess Crown and X-Men vs Street Fighter with the 4 mb RAM cart. Also bought a SCART to component transcoder. Beyond excited for it and I'll post pics once its setup. Now all I need is a SCART cable...

gosh your post reminded of the days a saturn scat cable could be bought cheap from places like lik sang..

I got a feeling a saturn scart cable isn't cheap anymore..

piggychan

might be tricky because the npc's will tell you which direction you have to go. I do like that game but when you linger around for too long trying to absorb the scenery the explosions and frame rate can add to the frustration of the game especially when you lose your bearings.

Top Bottom