• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

piggychan

I really wish Hyper Duel was cheaper. It looks badass.

I picked up Kingdom Grandprix. Not really sure I like it really, was intrigued by the concept but the game is almost too fast for me.

yep I also felt this when I had it in my possession but it didn't grab me so I ended up selling it after a while. It's got some nice graphics here and there but that's about it.

A nice pic of the Hi-Saturn GPS from twitter:
CAxDYW2UUAAjbR3.jpg:large

It looks like a redesign done by the guys that made the US SNES.

Complete goes for $350-$400
Edit: I believe a listing ended over the weekend that had disks 1 & 2 scratched and cracked while 3 & 4 had just scratches. That went for $160

IrishNinja

Pretty sure one can 2D print a manual

can you though? ill pay you bruh...shits tricky

I tried to lol, that was the first offer I sent, but he countered with 260.

How do 4 disc Saturn cases work anyway?

It's has cd jackets with notches on the sides that fit into the middle of the case. I keep mine in separated jewel cases though.

yeah, i think you'd need an Enemy Zero case? mind you, they're cheap little jackets, nothing fancy like the PAL version sadly

Teknoman

And there we go. Percent of bonus disposable gone and now i've got the entire Panzer series. Does Saga work in CD players as well?

Teknoman

Ok...some people don't even know it exists. That's why I was asking.

No i dont have it, but I do know of it. But with Saga being pretty pricey, and already having the other 3, i'm content for now. I like the universe, but I think those are the only necessary ones for the story?

people celebrating paying less than $400 for video games

Tr7ZK9j.png

Hyperduel is going to be something I buy with rewards points lol.

Is it just me, or does Blast Wind actually have the better soundtrack out of the two?

SpotAnime

What are your thoughts about Albert Odyssey?

I played it back in the day - seriously, I should have held on to my copy from back in the late '90s - and it was utterly charming. Think SNES RPG with a really fun translation thanks to WD.

Is it worth $200 today? Not by any stretch, except for collecting purposes. But if you can find it cheap, enjoy the clean, beautiful 2D art and fun dialogue.

How about I buy the Japanese panzer dragoon saga and use a translation FAQ for that real old school feeling

Has anyone here done that "pseudo Saturn" mod where you basically flash custom firmware to the action replay to enable backups?

Problem is that panzer dragoon saga doesn't work with it. Its the only really expensive game I would want.

Thinking about just buying one and selling it after I finish it. Would probably come close to breaking even.

I've been hunting for a copy for about a year, knowing ebay prices from JP would run me $165-$180 without shipping. I didn't need the version with the 4MB ram cart, which would save a few bucks. Long story short is I saw a copy on a site I've been a fan of for years, marked at $139 and complete -- including shipping. While this sure isn't cheap, its a crazy good price considering current market value. I ordered it sight unseen, crossing my fingers.

I was shocked to find that the copy I got is easily a 9.5/10. No scratches, manual is pristine and the spincard looks like new. Can't wait to give it a whirl on my BVM-20F1U via RGB this weekend!!!!

Congrats on the pickup and super jealous so dont take this as a negative but what advantage would this version have over playing the alpha collection on ps2 over rgb or component?

Teknoman

You should check out Orta.

I've got Orta, but thats what I meant by other 3: 1, 2, and Orta.

I played it back in the day - seriously, I should have held on to my copy from back in the late '90s - and it was utterly charming. Think SNES RPG with a really fun translation thanks to WD.

Is it worth $200 today? Not by any stretch, except for collecting purposes. But if you can find it cheap, enjoy the clean, beautiful 2D art and fun dialogue.

I've been seeing it sub 200 lately, so dunno if thats just a spring trend or what. Dont values drop during certain seasons when it comes to retro?

IrishNinja

Panzer Dragoon Saga is done! beautiful game, think i'll add to the LTTP thread soon.

think i'm gonna do a few more short ones (Burning Rangers, D, maybe Enemy Zero) before diving into Dragon Force or say, finally tying up Albert Odyssey/etc

piggychan

What are your thoughts about Albert Odyssey?

it's quite old skool,I think at the time of it's western release it was dwarfed by FFVII. Another one of those games I used to own but I sold after completing it.

It's got a great soundtrack and there are some great spell effects in there. I think the game has a knack for crashing randomly but if I can recall it's very few and far between. Plus it's around 30 hour mark before completion jrpg game.

Hi

New to the Saturn, are Enemy Zero and D worth grabbing. They seem quite pricey. Also is Krazy Ivan worth picking up I always fancied it back in the day but not sure if it was good or not.

StevieWhite

it's quite old skool,I think at the time of it's western release it was dwarfed by FFVII. Another one of those games I used to own but I sold after completing it.

It's got a great soundtrack and there are some great spell effects in there. I think the game has a knack for crashing randomly but if I can recall it's very few and far between. Plus it's around 30 hour mark before completion jrpg game.

If remember correctly, it has a pretty steep, but not insurmountable, difficulty spike right as the endgame begins. Could be wrong. Haven't played it since '99!

So what is 'the' JRPG to play on the saturn... can or should this particular JRPG be neglected? or is it a must play for any JRPG fan.

From cheapest to most expensive:

Shining the Holy Ark
Dragon Force
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Albert Odyssey is decent but it's the kind of game I'd recommend picking up from a bargain bin when you were done with everything else, not for the $70-$100 that it goes for these days. Pretty standard 2D RPG with decent 16-bit presentation values, typical Working Designs humor, average gameplay, and somewhat long load times.

Teknoman

From cheapest to most expensive:

Shining the Holy Ark
Dragon Force
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Albert Odyssey is decent but it's the kind of game I'd recommend picking up from a bargain bin when you were done with everything else, not for the $70-$100 that it goes for these days. Pretty standard 2D RPG with decent 16-bit presentation values, typical Working Designs humor, average gameplay, and somewhat long load times.

If I ever walked into a store and found Saturn rpgs in a bargain bin...man.

Interestingly enough, its how we bought Guardian Heroes back in the day lol. Even though I complained about how it looked dumb (judged by cover art). We got home, popped it in, and it was a "had a V8 moment" before that even existed. Mind was seriously blown.

IrishNinja

I've just hit disc 3, how much more game time do I have to expect? Enjoying it thus far as it's my first play through.

I finished the game right around 13 hours. Disc 3 and 4 aren't very long.

yeah, i took my time & looked everywhere and still clocked in just over 20 hours. get all the D units, its worth it!

Hi

New to the Saturn, are Enemy Zero and D worth grabbing. They seem quite pricey. Also is Krazy Ivan worth picking up I always fancied it back in the day but not sure if it was good or not.

i haven't yet played either but got em on the cheap - still, i'm told D is better on the playstation, might be cheaper there too?

Top Bottom