• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright thanks guys. :) My friend could only find Fighters Megamix and DOA for me in Japan but I went ahead and ordered Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack, Panzer Dragoon, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei online for now! I'm going to grab Sexy and Forever with me next time I can get some money. :)

lupinko

Grabbed a SCART cable off of eBay and this HDMI digital audio video converter. I didn't see anyone in the thread mention this particular box, but it does a great job as everything goes through one HDMI cable, so you have audio and video all handled at once without the need for extra cables and/or boxes.

So glad I spent the money on this solution. Colors are more vivid and lines are smoother. Prior to this I was using an s-video cable. The video quality on my LCD TV now looks like what you'd see on an arcade monitor.

I know is an old post but how does this go for input lag? 4 years ago I did RGB Scart to Component for the Saturn and it looked glorious:

http://youtu.be/_HHPXt8rLaA

That was my old video from back in the day, but after reminiscing about it and finding other YouTube videos, which actually linked me back to your thread, well I'm blown away.

This is someone else's video of the same game but using RGB Scart to HDMI instead of component.

http://youtu.be/yWX209ty-fA

Obviously my video was recorded off an iPhone 4 but still wow.

Found a U.S. seller selling a Japanese model one Saturn. I've always wanted the Grey model one Saturn as they are a thing of beauty. Wasn't cheap but the guy lives in California,same state as myself so if there's any problem its easy to ship back to him,much better than shipping one to Japan.

The Saturn is beginning to yellow though,not a big deal but does anyone have any ideas how to stop this from happening further? Is it possible?

Also got a game called Baroque in the mail today. Heavy on Japanese within the menus but the hud in all English so its doable. But easy enough to figure out as its a dungeon crawler so its just a matter of using items and see how items effect gameplay. YouTubers were right though, its got allot of atmosphere and fun to explore and do battle in.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I know is an old post but how does this go for input lag? 4 years ago I did RGB Scart to Component for the Saturn and it looked glorious:

http://youtu.be/_HHPXt8rLaA

That was my old video from back in the day, but after reminiscing about it and finding other YouTube videos, which actually linked me back to your thread, well I'm blown away.

This is someone else's video of the same game but using RGB Scart to HDMI instead of component.

http://youtu.be/yWX209ty-fA

Obviously my video was recorded off an iPhone 4 but still wow.

I'll actually be getting the SCART->HDMI converter when I get my Saturn in so I can let you know when I get everything in if no one else has said anything. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
And they were not kind to it.

tl;dr If you're cheap, better get an RGB to Component transcoder and let your TV do the upscale. If you're not cheap (and you're not, you're spending thousands in old videogames and flat TVs), you should get a real upscaler.

Only have a monitor and not enough money for a real upscaler quite yet. x:

Coda

Honestly CRTs are in abundance for free these days, if they have component than a SCART to component converter looks marvelous with retro consoles. If you can it's worth owning one CRT for retro games instead of spending big money on an upscaler. It's entirely up to you but I love my CRT for retro games, the luminescence and light bloom is never replicated well on a flat panel LCD, the light looks fake.

I just don't have the space for a CRT these days, as much as I'd like to have one. Upscalers are pretty much the only feasible option I have at this point, expensive as they may be.

Even then, I'll probably end up just slumming things out with an S-Video -> HDMI converter or something, since my new TV doesn't take S-Video and upgrading to RGB cords plus getting the converter cables for my old systems will likely put an ever bigger dent in my pocket*, whereas I already have working S-Video cables for most of my retro systems at the very least.

*I still plan on getting my AV Fami modded for RGB one of these days, though. That one's not even negotiable.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mostly want to use with my capture card but I realized my El Gato came with a component adapter. So I'll test my systems real quick to see if I can just go with the YUV converter instead.
I can't find my SFC power brick for some reason though. D:

Mzo

Mostly want to use with my capture card but I realized my El Gato came with a component adapter. So I'll test my systems real quick to see if I can just go with the YUV converter instead.
I can't find my SFC power brick for some reason though. D:

The Elgato gets real confused by a 240p signal coming through component cables, FYI.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The Elgato gets real confused by a 240p signal coming through component cables, FYI.

Yeah, so far from the responses I'll have to get one of the cheap converters or wait a good while for a cheap XRGB2 to pop up on ebay. Well if nothing shows up by the time my Saturn pops up in America I think I'll get the cheap one in the interim while I save up for a framemeister.

piggychan

ah man I just took out the saturn from it's box and decided to hook it up...hmmm might have to look into those upscaler things at some stage but for now I 'm happy with the images.

SFZ3
P1020626.jpg

P1020623.jpg

P1020624.jpg

P1020622.jpg

Grandia Digital Museum
P1020635.jpg

P1020636.jpg

Vampire Saviour
P1020632.jpg

P1020631.jpg

Seik

Banned
Well it doesn't look too bad for now! Alpha 3 why are you so expensive? ):

It wasn't that bad just 3 years ago when I got it for something like 90$, now...wow, it's just ridiculous.

I wonder how crazy some prices will go in the coming years, it's not going to be pretty. :/

Is Alpha 3 simply a victim of being the last upgrade in a series and thus people want that specific version, or are there just less copies out there? Would you miss out on a lot getting the Alpha 2?

lupinko

I'll actually be getting the SCART->HDMI converter when I get my Saturn in so I can let you know when I get everything in if no one else has said anything. :)

Oh cool, keep me updated! All my Saturn gear including the RGB scart to component converter and scart splitter (to get sound) are all back in Canada while I live in Japan now.

It's amazing technology progresses so fast!

I also have Saturn Bomberman and between me and my friend, we have enough controllers and multitaps to do 10 players. And on a big screen TV via rgb scart to HDMI would be a lot nicer than trying to use a small PVM. Component is nice but HDMI is just better and less hookups required because I wouldn't need to split the sound.

Anyway the old component method lets the Saturn output 480i from 240p via component straight up, but naturally the straight up 240p -> 720p/1080p conversion is better as seen in the two videos I showed.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is Alpha 3 simply a victim of being the last upgrade in a series and thus people want that specific version, or are there just less copies out there? Would you miss out on a lot getting the Alpha 2?

Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 are pretty different games. Completely different story, stages, music, aesthetics, in addition to the usual new characters and modes that come with a new release. Even the gameplay subsystems were revamped a lot. Alpha 3 might be the biggest jump within a single SF sub-series; SSF2T's addition of Super moves is the only thing that's on that level IMO.

The Saturn version also happens to be the only console release that has obscure extras like Reverse Dramatic Battle mode (PSP version is the only other one), and it was a very late release, so it probably had a low print run. If I'm not mistaken, it even came after the Dreamcast version.

lupinko

^ You are correct.

Also the Saturn version has some issues that keep it from arcade perfect. Mainly larger sprites than the CPS2 game (the Dreamcast had smaller sprites than the CPS2 game, the PSX was closest but suffered from loading and cut frames) and Dhalsim changes. So from a hardcore FGC perspective A3 on the Saturn was still bad. Gameplay wise the perfect non-CPS2 A3 didn't come until the PS2 Alpha Anthology version mainly because Capcom actually gave a shit this time and allowed players to even play with dip switch settings to have the 1-1 experience.

Of course for collectors or general fans, this shouldn't be an issue.

XSF and MSF both had aspect ratio issues and the former was based on a later revision that was rarely seen/played in arcades (e.g. some infinites removed). Again that is just a FGC nitpick.

Vampire Savior is pretty much better than perfect as it is the original VS (not VH2 or VS2, both terrible revisions) with returning VH characters. The trio were originally left out of the initial CPS2 VS because of hardware limitations, and with the fact that the CPS2 (like Capcom's boards in general) commit suicide unless modded, makes the Saturn the definitive version as it also has an option to use the CPS2 correct aspect ratio. Gameplay wise after the use of dip switches the PS2 collection comes through, and then the IG and Capcom Japan last gen digital ports.

Pocket Fighter wasn't played competitively and afaik, the Saturn game is identical to the CPS2 game.

MSH doesn't take advantage of either RAM cart well, and the SNK games still have loading (way better than the PSX games) with the SNK 1 Meg Cart.

Edit: More Saturn RGB love:

RGB scart > Component offscreen photo

CssSrsJ.png

RGB scart > HDMI direct capture

TEcfbWZ.png

<3 90s Sega and Capcom <3

Yes these are just screencaps from YouTube but even then, puts lots of other versions to shame.

With all the Bomberman talk as of late, was able to score a complete US copy of Saturn Bomberman for really cheap!

Gonna be nice to dust off the Saturn. Might even play some vs Street Fighter games while I'm at it. ;o

lupinko

With all the Bomberman talk as of late, was able to score a complete US copy of Saturn Bomberman for really cheap!

Gonna be nice to dust off the Saturn. Might even play some vs Street Fighter games while I'm at it. ;o

Don't forget NTSC-J RGB Scart and RGB Scart-HDMI adapter for maximum awesomeness.

I miss my Saturn setup, even if I only have the component equivalent of the above.

piggychan

Any reason to get the NA version of Bomberman over the JP one? I ordered a Japanese copy already but I'm curious.

iirc there isn't much difference except the title screen and in-game menus are all in japanese.

I think there are several bomberman games on the saturn tho..

Saturn bomberman
saturn bomberman seganet
Saturn Bomberman fight!!
bomberman wars

lupinko

Any reason to get the NA version of Bomberman over the JP one? I ordered a Japanese copy already but I'm curious.

Other than language and more Bomberman games released in Japan for Saturn, they're the same. Though I'd figure the Japanese one should be cheaper.

Oh I read about the RGB scart to HDMI converter, apparently the one I linked in the example generates like 5+ frames of lag, and its main benefits really are to convert from PAL to NTSC and it makes recording direct feed easier.

So it looks like native RGB > XRGB Framemeister Mini > RGB scart to Component transcoder >>> RGB scart to HDMI converter.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
5+ frame lag? Ouch that's too bad since the only way I'd be able to play my Saturn in the next few months is to use one unless another sub $100 XRGB2 pops up. x: Oh well I can just deal with it if the cheap XRGB2 doesn't pop up and see if I can find some more temp work to save up for a framemeister.

Edit: Seeing Solaris Japan's pricing for a Framemeister I might be able to get a Framemeister by the end of the month if my work doesn't get delayed 2 weeks. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
US Saturn Bomberman has more multiplayer stages and (still functional) online play compared to the JP version.

Probably not worth the price hike for most, though.

Pocket Fighter wasn't played competitively and afaik, the Saturn game is identical to the CPS2 game.

MSH doesn't take advantage of either RAM cart well, and the SNK games still have loading (way better than the PSX games) with the SNK 1 Meg Cart.

Pocket Fighter on Saturn was kinda like MSH where it used the 4M optionally. Without it, you would only get full animation for each character if you did mirror matches. It wasn't a bad port, but not 1:1 with the CPS2.

lupinko

5+ frame lag? Ouch that's too bad since the only way I'd be able to play my Saturn in the next few months is to use one unless another sub $100 XRGB2 pops up. x: Oh well I can just deal with it if the cheap XRGB2 doesn't pop up and see if I can find some more temp work to save up for a framemeister.

Edit: Seeing Solaris Japan's pricing for a Framemeister I might be able to get a Framemeister by the end of the month if my work doesn't get delayed 2 weeks. :)

I'll look into that myself, I could buy one from Amazon.jp, there's one seller that has it for as much as a WiiU MK8 bundle. I have the Component transcoder option but it's a pain to split the sound and I gave away my 2008 Sharp Aquos that still accepted 240p over component when I moved to Japan. Also modern HDTVs now do not accept a 240p signal over component, that Vampire Savior video I took in 2011 was off said TV. Here in Japan I just have that Benq gaming monitor used for esports (MOBA, RTS, fighting games), but it doesn't take component. :/

Basically the framemeister would be future proofing myself, not just for the Saturn but almost everything before the HD era.

US Saturn Bomberman has more multiplayer stages and (still functional) online play compared to the JP version.

Probably not worth the price hike for most, though.

Ah, yeah I went for the JP one because it's cheaper.

Pocket Fighter on Saturn was kinda like MSH where it used the 4M optionally. Without it, you would only get full animation for each character if you did mirror matches. It wasn't a bad port, but not 1:1 with the CPS2.

I see, so without the 4M cart it was like Vampire Hunter or Alpha 2, but that's not what I meant about MSH. At least with the 4M cart PF would be identical to the CPS2 game (again any gameplay differences aren't well known because PF was not played competitively).

MSH could use either SNK 1M or the Capcom 4MB but either the 1M was too little or it wasn't using the 4M enough (not optimized). MSH was still plagued with slowdown, load times and missing frames regardless. The carts made it better, but it's a dead end. And with Marvel Origins gone, the only way to play MSH is CPS2
phoenix modded due to suicide battery
unfortunately.

dock

Can anyone give me any tips to stop my Bravia freaking out and resetting the screen every 10 seconds when playing Saturn games in high res?

It makes 10 player Bomberman unusable. :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Edit: More Saturn RGB love:

RGB scart > Component offscreen photo

CssSrsJ.png

RGB scart > HDMI direct capture

TEcfbWZ.png

<3 90s Sega and Capcom <3

Yes these are just screencaps from YouTube but even then, puts lots of other versions to shame.

looks like the scart > component converter needs to be adjusted. mine also had a heavy tint before i opened it up and tweaked the potentiometers a bit with a screwdriver.

lupinko

looks like the scart > component converter needs to be adjusted. mine also had a heavy tint before i opened it up and tweaked the potentiometers a bit with a screwdriver.
Thanks! I'll know when to tweek it in the future but hopefully by then I'll have a XRGB Mini.

Marvel Super Heroes optionally support the 1MB cart, not the 4MB cart. (It should work with the 4MB cart, but it'll only use 1MB on it while running.) Pocket Fighter does optionally support the 4MB cart, though (4MB or no RAM cart only, no 1MB support).

http://segaretro.org/Extended_RAM_Cartridge

Galdelico

I remember that being possible in X-Men: Children of the Atom too. Pretty sure it needed to input a code, though. I'm trying to find it out...

piggychan

I remember that being possible in X-Men: Children of the Atom too. Pretty sure it needed to input a code, though. I'm trying to find it out...

I think this also applies to Vampire Hunter when you select the same character in VS mode but it's a hidden code. Another early but amazing port from arcade to console. Too bad the loading is long tho..

EDIT

I kinda remember being shocked at the difference between the Playstation and Saturn version mostly I think the sprites were larger on the Saturn and iirc the playstation version of Darkstalkers had slowdown.

I think Vampire Hunters is a must own guys if you haven't got it yet. Early Capcom magic and it almost contains Darkstalker 1 and 2 into one game!

Marvel Super Heroes optionally support the 1MB cart, not the 4MB cart. (It should work with the 4MB cart, but it'll only use 1MB on it while running.) Pocket Fighter does optionally support the 4MB cart, though (4MB or no RAM cart only, no 1MB support).

http://segaretro.org/Extended_RAM_Cartridge

True. I chalk that up to typing it on my phone. I really should wait to post until I get home so I don't sound like an idiot.

Seik

Banned
Take 2 (Wrote this in the Dreamcast thread...but I'm drinking my coffee, I should be OK now.) :p

Went on Hit-Japan again, saw Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 at 102$.

I'm like ''I'll offer 75$, there's no way he'll accept that.''

Not even 5 minutes later...

*AGREED*

Oh well, there's goes another 100$ from my wallet for the TF series. XD

...Also bought Fighters Megamix for a fiver.

Take 2 (Wrote this in the Dreamcast thread...but I'm drinking my coffee, I should be OK now.) :p

Went on Hit-Japan again, saw Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 at 102$.

I'm like ''I'll offer 75$, there's no way he'll accept that.''

Not even 5 minutes later...

*AGREED*

Oh well, there's goes another 100$ from my wallet for the TF series. XD

...Also bought Fighters Megamix for a fiver.
I'm curious about the TF Gold Packs. Do the soundtracks need to queue up off the CD like on Sonic Jam? I don't really like that in that game because the BGM ends up sounding inauthentic, especially when it takes a second for the invulnerability music to load and fade out, etc.

Jaeger

How good are the Saturn ports of Street Fighter II (via the SF Collection and Generations Vol 5)? Considering grabbing both a new console soon. Its about time to jump back in the Saturn collecting world.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
How good are the Saturn ports of Street Fighter II (via the SF Collection and Generations Vol 5)? Considering grabbing both a new console soon. Its about time to jump back in the Saturn collecting world.
fine but inferior to the PS1 versions due to weird but minute stretching and some instances of slowdown not present in the PS1 version. I own both, and I like the Saturn port because of the Saturn pad, but given that it's both more expensive and inferior, it's hard to recommend.

Jaeger

fine but inferior to the PS1 versions due to weird but minute stretching and some instances of slowdown not present in the PS1 version. I own both, and I like the Saturn port because of the Saturn pad, but given that it's both more expensive and inferior, it's hard to recommend.

Darn! And that goes for both collections? I was hoping the Saturn would be superior for obvious reasons. :/

Also is there any images or video that show how bad the stretching and slowdown is?

Galdelico

Wow, is SS Street Fighter Collection inferior to PS'? That's quite surprising.
I know there are many instances of 2D games looking/running better on the Playstation, but I didn't think that was the case with that collection.

Top Bottom