• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Seik

Banned
It's not like it's a bad thing that we're in community now. I see this more like a milestone than anything else. There was enough Saturn fans on Gaf to keep this thread alive all this time and that's a big positive. :)

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

I ordered that card from Amazon though, I think I'll record some Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG or something when I get it.

Making it a priority to pick up the other two Parodius games before prices go up even more.

I have the deluxe pack just need the "talk show" one and sexy parodius.

Either one is a requirement for pure RGB without needed a RGB to component converter(which the capture card can still detect 240p through component). Sync Strike is much cheaper but it's only at Arcade Forge.

Ok, so that's an option for me at least. I have SCART to Component converter for my SNES/Saturn/FC/MD so I was planning on using those. I will look into the Sync Strike later at this point. Am I to understand Micomsoft's drivers work with the card?

Timu

Ok, so that's an option for me at least. I have SCART to Component converter for my SNES/Saturn/FC/MD so I was planning on using those. I will look into the Sync Strike later at this point. Am I to understand Micomsoft's drivers work with the card?
I haven't tried them but they should.

this morning I went to Machida, 30 km from Tokyo

here is the retro section inside Book-Off

there are around 64 boxes
how many for SS/DC/PCE stuff?

one

how many SS games were inside that box?
1- Sword & Sorcery (which I already own)
2- a love sim adventure (which I already own)
3- Street Fighter Zero, which I bought just because I used funds got from selling SS games on ebay

stop...

and I agree with the user (sorry I'm from mobile and while writing I can't see previous posts) (it was Sinople, post edited :) )who said that it's our fault, we brought abroad too much games :D

gooey

Neo Member
Been lurking in this thread since Friday.

Was wondering if anyone can speak to the quality of the Saturn's version of Waku Waku 7. (The sunsoft fighting game)
Been wanting to start a physical fighting game collection for a while and the Saturn seems like a good (and affordable) place to start.

Been lurking in this thread since Friday.

Was wondering if anyone can speak to the quality of the Saturn's version of Waku Waku 7. (The sunsoft fighting game)
Been wanting to start a physical fighting game collection for a while and the Saturn seems like a good (and affordable) place to start.

It uses the 1M RAM cartridge, as it was released before the 4M cart was a thing.

I really wished it was delayed to use the 4M one. I remember there being intrusive slowdown and load times when compared to 4M games that I'm used to.

Gorgeous game, and quite fun too, but it doesn't play as nice as on Neo Geo.

Anyone get the Sunsoft Fighting Game compilation on PS2? How does that version compare?

Galdelico

It uses the 1M RAM cartridge, as it was released before the 4M cart was a thing.

I really wished it was delayed to use the 4M one. I remember there being intrusive slowdown and load times when compared to 4M games that I'm used to.

Anyone get the Sunsoft Fighting Game compilation on PS2? How does that version compare?

It's hugely superior.
Saturn WW7 also suffers from terrible backgrounds' pixelation, they look like they're displayed at half the original resolution. PS2 version - aside from very little loading times between matches - is pretty much arcade perfect.

gooey

Neo Member

Ah okay. That's a shame.
I played the NEO GEO version years ago and always wanted it but didn't have the money to splash on an AES. Thanks for the heads up. Might start my collection with DOA.

It's hugely superior.
Saturn WW7 also suffers from terrible backgrounds' pixelation, they look like they're displayed at half the original resolution. PS2 version - aside from very little loading times between matches - is pretty much arcade perfect.

Might have to look into that PS2 collection. It has Galaxy Fight too if I recall correctly. Will probably still pick it up at some point for Saturn...

piggychan

So Saturn thread what multi-plat Saturn titles are best for it?

Exhumed
Quake
Duke Nukem
soukygurentai
Silhouette Mirage (although it has better effects and extra layers of scrolling the psx has extra content)
Dead or alive
Xmen vs Street Fighter
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior
Marvel VS Street Fighter
X-Men children of the atom
most SNK ports

So the talk of Albert Odyssey in the thread got me intrigued so checked out some videos, I definitely want to play the game now but it's consistently pricey. A few weeks ago I watched an auction that started at $19 with no reserve and it ended at around $120. Hoping to get a copy, would make a nice summer RPG to play through.

All of them really should be in community anyway. Gaming is way to busy, but on the other hand you won't have as many casual posters.

It's not like it's a bad thing that we're in community now. I see this more like a milestone than anything else. There was enough Saturn fans on Gaf to keep this thread alive all this time and that's a big positive. :)

Good points.

piggychan

So the talk of Albert Odyssey in the thread got me intrigued so checked out some videos, I definitely want to play the game now but it's consistently pricey. A few weeks ago I watched an auction that started at $19 with no reserve and it ended at around $120. Hoping to get a copy, would make a nice summer RPG to play through.

Good points.

AO is not bad. I found it a little short but certainly I don't regret selling it years ago. I think at the time of release it was badly shadowed by FF7. The spells are nice and so too is the 2D artwork and sprites but I just felt it was tied too much to what a typical japanese RPG is and offered nothing new. Some nice music, generally the overall package just sits comfortably in an old skool JRPG bag. If that's what you want then grab it.

Khaz

So Saturn thread what multi-plat Saturn titles are best for it?

Of the ones I have:

Superior:
- Alien Trilogy
- Rayman
- Earthworm Jim 2 (because PS1 is PAL/50Hz only)
- Dead or Alive
- Exhumed / Powerslave (also, completely different maps)
- Tomb Raider
- Metal Slug
- most Capcom and SNK 2D fighters

equal (except for PAL PS1, locked at 50Hz):
- D
- Blazing Dragons

I dunno lol:
- Dragon Ball Z Legend (game is crap)

Stupidly inferior:
- Destruction Derby
- Loaded and Reloaded
- Magic Carpet (much better on PC)

Khaz

I haven't heard of this before, how is it superior? I though it was the usual same as the PS1 version but lacking transparencies deal.

Yeah they're probably on par really. I'd say it's better thanks to the Saturn controller, plus the Saturn version seems to be brighter and loading faster.

[edit] Watching videos of it, I realised I greatly enjoy the soundtrack. It's now playing in the console :)

Khaz

Can anyone with Alien Trilogy try and play it in their stereo? Either Saturn or Playstation. Track 14 is acting very strange here.

Stupidly inferior:
- Magic Carpet (much better on PC)
I dunno, I kinda prefer the PS1 version of Magic Carpet to the PC one - mostly because the PC game's speed isn't consistent, speeding up when the framerate is good and slowing down when it's bad. PS1 version doesn't have that issue, it's fairly consistent.

Don't own the Saturn version of Magic Carpet, though I'll confess I'm somewhat tempted to give it a try.

Khaz

Is it likely that anyone will make a Retron 5, but for disc based consoles instead of cartridge based?

Unlikely. Disc-based system have a completely different way of accessing data and audio than your PC CD-rom drive. Try playing a music-based game like Rez on a PS2 emulator: the game will keep freezing and stuttering because your PC drive loads and stops, while a console drive keeps spinning. The only way to properly play game discs is to make an image of it and mount it.

I wish someone would make drivers/firmwares to replicate this behaviour, but if it hasn't happened yet it's probably because it's easier said than done.

Galdelico

What's up gang? Thought I'd post my latest review in this thread since it's for a pretty rad Saturn game - GUNBIRD (aka Mobile Light Force)! Check it out and let me know what you think:)

https://youtu.be/ZSpGvr25JvA
I'm probably very late to the party but... Dave from 'classic' Classic Game Room! Super pleased to find you on here, man. :)

And speaking of superior Saturn ports, Gunbird is surely one of them, due to its authentic TATE mode, the more solid frame-rate and those extra fan illustrations that have been added to the Art Gallery.

gooey

Neo Member
Thanks Galdelico! My channel is still pretty new but it's been great getting back into making these videos and reviews. Thanks again for watching!

Yo! The 1999/2000 CGR videos were some of the first youtube videos I watched.
Good luck with the new channel. Subbed. :D

EDIT: I remember you saying you were looking forward to Strider 2 back in one of those old videos. Did you ever get to play it? XD

Top Bottom