• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Valkyria

Banned
Hit Japan is pretty cool. For expensive games they take serious offers into consideration. You never know, and making an offer is free.

Marvel Super Heroes optionally support the 1MB cart, not the 4MB cart. (It should work with the 4MB cart, but it'll only use 1MB on it while running.) Pocket Fighter does optionally support the 4MB cart, though (4MB or no RAM cart only, no 1MB support).

http://segaretro.org/Extended_RAM_Cartridge
MSH has issues with 4MB RAM carts. It adds the extra animation frames, but also adds a ton of slowdown. 1MB carts allegedly don't have that issue.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Darn! And that goes for both collections? I was hoping the Saturn would be superior for obvious reasons. :/

Also is there any images or video that show how bad the stretching and slowdown is?

I believe I posted comparison pics a few months ago, maybe in January or December. The Saturn version is slightly too wide. The slowdown is most obvious on DeeJay's stage.

really, just buy the PS1 version. Or if you have deep pockets, the Dreamcast version is the way to go.

Jaeger

I believe I posted comparison pics a few months ago, maybe in January or December. The Saturn version is slightly too wide. The slowdown is most obvious on DeeJay's stage.

really, just buy the PS1 version. Or if you have deep pockets, the Dreamcast version is the way to go.

I'll probably roll with the Dreamcast one. I used to have a copy but sold it long ago. That's the Matching Service version, correct?

Tain

i wrote a thing about FM if you didn't read it yet you should

tl;dr
i like it

Good post.

When it comes to the tech... Saturn VF2 is a juggernaut, a gorgeous game, but it's 100% unlit. Both the characters and the arena are totally, fully bright at all times. Even VF1 used flat lighting. So FM is lower-resolution, but it actually does use more advanced lighting than arcade VF2 (I think arcade VF2 is flat lighting vs FM's Gouraud shading).

AM2 must have thought the advanced lighting approach looked better, or maybe they couldn't do VF2's high resolution while also doing the walled arenas so they halved the resolution and looked into what else they could do with the spare power?

I always seem to forget Fighters Megamix runs at 60fps and end up being pleasantly surprised when I boot it up to play.

One of these days I need to sit down and actually learn some of the characters.

oneida

Good post.

When it comes to the tech... Saturn VF2 is a juggernaut, a gorgeous game, but it's 100% unlit. Both the characters and the arena are totally, fully bright at all times. Even VF1 used flat lighting. So FM is lower-resolution, but it actually does use more advanced lighting than arcade VF2 (I think arcade VF2 is flat lighting vs FM's Gouraud shading).

AM2 must have thought the advanced lighting approach looked better, or maybe they couldn't do VF2's high resolution while also doing the walled arenas so they halved the resolution and looked into what else they could do with the spare power?

Saturn VF2 is a game I hold very closely to my heart. It's probably my favorite Saturn game. I actually prefer it to the arcade version, just because it was a huge part of my childhood.

This transition still wows me:

wowwwefuiy.gif

(wish I could make 60fps gifs)

Everyone with a Saturn should own VF2.

zmet

Probably. I know Capcom Generation 2 is more desirable on PS1 because the aspect ratio is correct for Choumakaimura.
Both versions of Capcom Generation 2 are messed up in weird ways though. In PS version of Daimakaimura, the gamma is all screwed up and you can't see the backgrounds. The gamma looks fine on the the Saturn version though. Since I'm more a fan of Daimakaimura than Choumakaimura (plays way too slow and you can't shoot up or down), I play the Saturn CG2 version a lot more.

oneida

Contrast is a little high. was trying to be clever by setting vid to halfspeed and then speeding up the gif by a factor of 2, but gifcam doesn't let me make frames that short.

contrastt2s2j.gif

anyway the moral of the story is VF2 looks pretty and I wish I were playing it right now

Just dug my Saturn out of the closet, now i just gotta find the plug.

Fighters Megamix is a personal favorite of mine, I used to spend hours in the lab. Did you know there's secret moves not in the list or in any online guides I've found?

Picky ftw.

piggychan

fine but inferior to the PS1 versions due to weird but minute stretching and some instances of slowdown not present in the PS1 version. I own both, and I like the Saturn port because of the Saturn pad, but given that it's both more expensive and inferior, it's hard to recommend.

I certainly have felt that there were one or two games from Capcom where it felt like they didn't give a shit... they were Marvel Super Heroes and the Street Fighter Collection. At the time of release I certainly remember from the time I was playing those games that they felt like sloppy ports.

piggychan

Saturn VF2 is a game I hold very closely to my heart. It's probably my favorite Saturn game. I actually prefer it to the arcade version, just because it was a huge part of my childhood.

This transition still wows me:

Everyone with a Saturn should own VF2.

Virtua Fighter 2 was the game that sold me on the saturn. I remember buying the game and japanese console on import around 1996 for around £500.

Scans on some early reports.

Maximum UK mag scan VF2

P1020268.jpg

oneida

Virtua Fighter 2 was the game that sold me on the saturn. I remember buying the game and japanese console on import around 1996 for around £500.

Scans on some early reports.

Maximum UK mag scan VF2

P1020268.jpg

Really interesting stuff about how they handled the Saturn architecture - 2 CPUs handling each player "simultaneously" (but not actually simultaneously). And they programmed the game in assembly language - hahah!

piggychan

speaking of the AM2 games if you decide to get the Fighting Vipers game make it the japanese one. It has a hidden character in there and he is great! I also like Fighters Megamix too as I see it as an evolution of AM2's 3D engine born from the FV Saturn game as you definitely notice a slightly higher resolution and polygon rate between the two games.

P1020712.jpg

SURGEdude

Selling my Saturn a decade ago was one of the biggest gaming mistakes I ever made. If I get a new NTSC one is there a quality difference between the models?

oneida

Selling my Saturn a decade ago was one of the biggest gaming mistakes I ever made. If I get a new NTSC one is there a quality difference between the models?

Model 2 (circle power/reset buttons) have some reported difficulty playing OutRun (SEGA AGES)

Did Pepsiman have unique attacks, or was he just a reskinned version of another character? I'll probably pick up a JP copy of FV since its dirt cheap aregardless, but I am curious.

piggychan

Why the hell is getting harder and harder finding complete SS games (which I don't own yet) in Tokyo? >_<

Quite possibly perhaps a lot of the better japanese software may have been sold to overseas now. Thanks to eBay and youtube spreading the word. Or they holding onto them and hoping for increase in value..

Did Pepsiman have unique attacks, or was he just a reskinned version of another character? I'll probably pick up a JP copy of FV since its dirt cheap aregardless, but I am curious.

Perhaps a bit of both since I feel he fits right into the games fighting style. There is a training mode where you can practice all his moves and combos. AM2 did not disappoint.

Such a shame he had to be left out for western releases. Quite a bit of Pepsi sponsoring in the JPN version.

retrogaming is hotter than ever

well, both Super Potato in Tokyo have less games than usual, for example Akihabara store always had 2 shelves entirely filled by SS games, and now it's just one; MD is in the same situation, 2 shelves but one of them is sadly empty...
Also a lot of Book-Off shops don't have SEGA games (SS and DC) as they had in the past

Instead of a "hot situation" I would call it as "lack of restock"

piggychan

so how many of you cool kids in here enjoy playing the chu chu rockets over broadband adapters

Man those dreamcast BB adapters must be really expensive now.. Back in the day it was Phantasy Star online with 56k all the way and I loved it !

EDIT

I would love to get Nanatsu kaze no shima monogatari but I don't understand Japanese at all. Contemplating spending 50&#8364; for a game I will never play makes me feel terrible.

wow!!! I bought it years ago on ebay for around a tenner. Yes there is a lot of japanese text to wade through and I remember there being a guide on gamefaqs but last time I was using it the author just didn't get round to completing it...

Sinople

well, both Super Potato in Tokyo have less games than usual, for example Akihabara store always had 2 shelves entirely filled by SS games, and now it's just one; MD is in the same situation, 2 shelves but one of them is sadly empty...
Also a lot of Book-Off shops don't have SEGA games (SS and DC) as they had in the past

Instead of a "hot situation" I would call it as "lack of restock"

According to a shop owner that wrote his experience in his blog, the Japanese retro-gaming scene was healthy when it was Japanese players only buying a game to play it then selling it back to the store. It began to deteriorate some years ago when foreigners entered the equation, buying game from abroad for their collection, meaning every game sold this way was virtually "lost" for the market. Thus explaining why the shelves are emptier and emptier.

Then there's the price aspect. To address the situation, alarming for some, shops like Super Potato began to raise prices to match what the foreign clients are willing to pay, which is obviously far above what Japanese clients used to. The guy said at first he thought those prices were ridiculous and was reluctant to follow this path but is now more or less forced to do the same to survive.
This was mainly the case for action games but fan translation aren't helping either. Text-heavy games like RPG were more affordable for obvious reasons but now, every time one gets translated you can bet shops raise their prices. I'm glad I bought Dragon Force 2 before the translation was released.

Top Bottom