• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Yo! The 1999/2000 CGR videos were some of the first youtube videos I watched.
Good luck with the new channel. Subbed. :D

EDIT: I remember you saying you were looking forward to Strider 2 back in one of those old videos. Did you ever get to play it? XD

Wow. Nope - never got around to playing Strider 2 - not that I can remember. This will need to be rectified eventually! And thanks for watching and subbing my man - and for the flashback!

Timu

Exhumed
Quake
Duke Nukem
soukygurentai
Silhouette Mirage (although it has better effects and extra layers of scrolling the psx has extra content)
Dead or alive
Xmen vs Street Fighter
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior
Marvel VS Street Fighter
X-Men children of the atom
most SNK ports

Of the ones I have:

Superior:
- Alien Trilogy
- Rayman
- Earthworm Jim 2 (because PS1 is PAL/50Hz only)
- Dead or Alive
- Exhumed / Powerslave (also, completely different maps)
- Tomb Raider
- Metal Slug
- most Capcom and SNK 2D fighters

equal (except for PAL PS1, locked at 50Hz):
- D
- Blazing Dragons

I dunno lol:
- Dragon Ball Z Legend (game is crap)

Stupidly inferior:
- Destruction Derby
- Loaded and Reloaded
- Magic Carpet (much better on PC)

Don't forget SotN
I'll keep these in mind.

AO is not bad. I found it a little short but certainly I don't regret selling it years ago. I think at the time of release it was badly shadowed by FF7. The spells are nice and so too is the 2D artwork and sprites but I just felt it was tied too much to what a typical japanese RPG is and offered nothing new. Some nice music, generally the overall package just sits comfortably in an old skool JRPG bag. If that's what you want then grab it.

I don't have a lot of experience with JRPGs outside of Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Dragon Quest V (which I started playing several months ago) so I'm sure I'd enjoy it, don't mind if it's basic. The graphics are gorgeous and it just looks like simple fun. And any game with a party member who is a fire breathing dragon immediately gets my attention. :)

What's up gang? Thought I'd post my latest review in this thread since it's for a pretty rad Saturn game - GUNBIRD (aka Mobile Light Force)! Check it out and let me know what you think:)

https://youtu.be/ZSpGvr25JvA

But....is it as good as TRUXTON?? :p

I feel like I should just pull out my Saturn today and enjoy some awesome titles...and maybe finally back up my saves to a pc.

Ahh good ol' Pepsiman.

I really need to hunt down that Japanese version

so how many of you cool kids in here enjoy playing the chu chu rockets over broadband adapters

I, uh, haven't-huh, guess I should do that since I got Broadband adapter (bought it for $50 off a Japanese auction a few years back, though I need to take care of it's yellowing).

It's great seeing so much activity in here. After putting it off for the past few years, I finally decided to start picking up some of the Saturn RPGs I want before they get even more expensive. I graduated from my MA program this past weekend so this was an early present to myself. I'm still waiting for the second half of my present to get here. ;)

NuYqB1Cl.jpg

Just missed out on one of them last night. Shit just keeps climbing. Also really wish I got Burning Rangers a year ago for $150 since one I was watching just sold for $250 last night as well.

piggychan

It's great seeing so much activity in here. After putting it off for the past few years, I finally decided to start picking up some of the Saturn RPGs I want before they get even more expensive. I graduated from my MA program this past weekend so this was an early present to myself. I'm still waiting for the second half of my present to get here. ;)

NuYqB1Cl.jpg

congrats. do be careful with that game if you intend on playing it. iirc there are one or two spells that flash intensely it might give you an epileptic seizure. but it occurs much later on in the game when you meet powerful enemies.

There are also a few hidden characters to collect in there that can be missed during certain events throughout the game.

IrishNinja

Just missed out on one of them last night. Shit just keeps climbing. Also really wish I got Burning Rangers a year ago for $150 since one I was watching just sold for $250 last night as well.

as a Naka fan what ive played of Rangers is neat but holy crap is it not a $250 game

No mention of Sega Saturn launching 20 years ago today? Anyone pick one up at launch?

I thought it was weird that no one was mentioning it here, too. I don't think there's a thread for it, either. :(

I didn't get mine at launch. I got mine a year or two later. I think the Wii is the only console I got at launch, and I got the Wii U on launch week, and Dreamcast on launch month.

Anyway, after dinner, I'm gonna go celebrate the 20th anniversary by playing some games on mine.

I'm sure I've posted pics before, but here's my collection:

I got the "3 Free Games" pack for a penny at Toys "Я" Us. The offer for that was a while after I got mine, but some stores were selling them. I think Walmart or K-Mart was selling that for like $30-$40 at the time. Heh.

Thanks y'all! I remember passing this up in the BST thread a few years ago because I thought $65 was too much...I learned my lesson, haha. Excited to start playing it tonight.

congrats. do be careful with that game if you intend on playing it. iirc there are one or two spells that flash intensely it might give you an epileptic seizure. but it occurs much later on in the game when you meet powerful enemies.

There are also a few hidden characters to collect in there that can be missed during certain events throughout the game.

Thanks for letting me know! Hidden characters are always fun. :)

cj_iwakura

I find it funny/sad that there's a 20th anniversary thread for E3 but not the Saturn.

Sadly I think it'll be more ridiculed than appreciated.

piggychan

I thought it was weird that no one was mentioning it here, too. I don't think there's a thread for it, either. :(

I didn't get mine at launch. I got mine a year or two later. I think the Wii is the only console I got at launch, and I got the Wii U on launch week, and Dreamcast on launch month.

Anyway, after dinner, I'm gonna go celebrate the 20th anniversary by playing some games on mine.

I'm sure I've posted pics before, but here's my collection:

I got the "3 Free Games" pack for a penny at Toys "Я" Us. The offer for that was a while after I got mine, but some stores were selling them. I think Walmart or K-Mart was selling that for like $30-$40 at the time. Heh.

nice collection

I think the japanese and UK dreamcasts were the only one's I got at launch and also the Xbox 360 slim.

anyway here is my collection. I used to own other titles in the past, US copies of Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey to X-men VS, Marvel Super, Marvel VS and Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru aka Psychic Detective but they got sold traded over the years on eBay etc...

My current stuff balancing precariously XD
P1020716.jpg

I also used to have my youtube channel which a group of pc engine enthusiasts set up back in 2006 but it got shut down due to someone at SEGA complaining about shining Force vids.... I never bothered to challenge it.

EDIT

Biggest laugh on there I remember playstation fanboys were challenging and accusing me of making fake lunar silver star/lunar eternal blue videos and saying the sega saturn version never existed even though I was videoing my collection by hand cam they were accusing those CD, cases and manuals as cheap photocopy mock ups. there was clearly a discussion also that the sega saturn version had superior sound fonts. XD

There was always this belittling of the sega saturn as back then Sony brand had so much stronghold over peoples misconception especially to the sega saturn brand and the lesser known pc engine game titles so we set fourth and made those vids even though some of them were so badly made.. I don't know if it was us and our videos of these games that drove up those game prices XD

IrishNinja

I also used to have my youtube channel which a group of pc engine enthusiasts set up back in 2006 but it got shut down due to someone at SEGA complaining about shining Force vids.... I never bothered to challenge it.

EDIT

Biggest laugh on there I remember playstation fanboys were challenging and accusing me of making fake lunar silver star/lunar eternal blue videos and saying the sega saturn version never existed even though I was videoing my collection by hand cam they were accusing those CD, cases and manuals as cheap photocopy mock ups. there was clearly a discussion also that the sega saturn version had superior sound fonts. XD

There was always this belittling of the sega saturn as back then Sony brand had so much stronghold over peoples misconception especially to the sega saturn brand and the lesser known pc engine game titles so we set fourth and made those vids even though some of them were so badly made.. I don't know if it was us and our videos of these games that drove up those game prices XD

ahh you were part of that shutdown? sucks man, sorry to hear that...your collection though, damn! those PAL boxes look sleep in pics

also haha @ the Lunar arguments though, and yeah i can only imagine the strong misconceptions in the late 90's/early era of the net too

Wow, Burning Rangers has eclipsed Radiant Silvergun for CIB value and is basically on par with lower tier bids for Panzer Dragoon Saga? That's nuts.

Burning Rangers isn't worth the $200+ it's going for. If you can find it for around $50 I'd say go for it, but that's just not going to happen. It's also pretty short.

piggychan

ahh you were part of that shutdown? sucks man, sorry to hear that...your collection though, damn! those PAL boxes look sleep in pics

also haha @ the Lunar arguments though, and yeah i can only imagine the strong misconceptions in the late 90's/early era of the net too

yup I was part of that shutdown. For a while I got real mad at SEGA and was thinking of just selling all my saturn stuff but glad I kept my cool in the end.

anyway happy anniversary Saturn

I can't get over how yellowed my saturns have become >_>

the one with the 4meg ram cart inserted was left in it's japanese packaging for 6+ years..(ignore that strange contraption in the bottom right corner) :O
P1020724.jpg

some UK PAL game boxes
P1020719.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Saga PAL UK
P1020720.jpg

This version of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete is the MPEG version and requires an MPEG cart to get almost full screen FMV. I had another game that optionally ran with the MPEG Card and that was VATLVA. You guys might like it. It certainly has really good music.
P1020722.jpg

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, Great game and this time runs full screen FMV without any need for MPEG card. Some of the early copies along with LSSS complete came with a pack of trading cards.
P1020723.jpg

piggychan

How do Lunar/Lunar 2 compare with the PSX versions?

Music is certainly better on saturn but the FMV are better on the psx I think they are more colorful. At least with the complete MPEG edition the FMV is almost full screen (small bordering top and bottom) and higher fps than the PSX version. My main complaint about the FMV on the MPEG edition was I think the contrast was too low and a bit too bright.

I would advise ya not to get the regular copy of LSSS. The FMV is really small...

Also When I original bought the Vampire Saviour with 4M RAM cart I didn't recall getting any pin badge and it was brand new freshly imported and still in shrink wrap. Years later I re-bought from a japanese seller and got a badge with it. They didn't even advertise it either so I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if they just randomly added it as part of the final sale.

P1020727.jpg

IrishNinja

ah, i never got the mpeg card but my Lunar 2 has a pack of those cards, its so cool!

and damn, i love how nice the PAL PDS box is compared to ours

So Saturn thread what multi-plat Saturn titles are best for it?
Of the games in those lists, I would only disagree with one; Dead or Alive is for the most part better on Saturn, with better graphics on Saturn for instance, but the PS1 version has two more playable characters than the Saturn has, which is a pretty big plus for that version.

Anyway, several more games better on Saturn that weren't mentioned:

Strikers 1945 (the first game, not the second; II is better on PS1, 1 on Saturn)
Konami Antiques MSX Collection (the games are the same as far as I know, but it's quite convenient to have all of them on one disc, instead of four or five separate collections to buy as it is on PS1!)
Mass Destruction (the game was a Saturn-first title, and it shows! I think this game is good.)

There are probably some more.

And one stupidly inferior one:

Hardcore 4x4 (this game is awful on PS1, but the unbelievably bad framerate on the Saturn makes it nearly unplayable.)

piggychan

Konami AntiquesMSX Collection (the games are the same as far as I know, but it's quite convenient to have all of them on one disc, instead of four or five separate collections to buy as it is on PS1!)

Oh my gosh yes I forgot about that. Saturn version has 30 MSX games on one disc. I don't know how much it goes for nowadays but I certainly thought it was better value than what psx owners got.

P1020730.jpg

There is an official saturn memory save cart there but a few years ago it died on me and all those save files and the hours I spent on some of those RPGs are lost... :( The Tamagotchi game iirc comes with a save cart too. The 4M action replay cart you might have to be careful when deleting codes. While I was deleting some pointless ones I later found it deleted some save files which I don't remember doing myself...but I don't know if this problem occurs on different models or whether it was me being careless... >__>

P1020728.jpg

Also the Saturn has some wonderful puzzle games. Try Baku Baku animal for example. Here are 3 I think you guys should definitely add.

Puyo Puyo Sun. Hanagumi Taisen Columns and Tokimeki Memorial taisen tokkaedama (which i think is better puzzle game to their other puzzle dama game)
Keep a look out for those sticker sheets and manga strips that come with them too.
P1020729.jpg

Wow, Burning Rangers has eclipsed Radiant Silvergun for CIB value and is basically on par with lower tier bids for Panzer Dragoon Saga? That's nuts.

Burning Rangers isn't worth the $200+ it's going for. If you can find it for around $50 I'd say go for it, but that's just not going to happen. It's also pretty short.

BR is fun, but it has aged VERY roughly.

No kidding, I love BR (well except for that space ship mini-game), but it's not worth a $200 price-tag. $50-$60 is fine.

piggychan

I remember getting Konami Antiques at EB for $35. I sold it and managed to win it again on ebay for about the same price about 10 years ago.

*cough* I just quickly searched the prices on ebay for it... *shakes head* I think I bought mine years ago for under £20 from a japanese seller.

Timu

Just ordered another Scart cable, but this one is different as it has audio out:

$_57.JPG

It'll get here like a month from now though.

Just ordered another Scart cable, but this one is different as it has audio out:

$_57.JPG

It'll get here like a month from now though.

That's an interesting set up. I assume that plugged in it just passes though audio to the scart end? Neet idea, but I'm sure is extra costly.

Timu

That's an interesting set up. I assume that plugged in it just passes though audio to the scart end? Neet idea, but I'm sure is extra costly.
Yeah, but I read you can hook it up to external sound setups like capture cards, speakers and such. Should help avoiding that audio buzz. Costs me around 22 bucks.

Top Bottom