• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Finally got my Saturn in! :)
tiR0UBll.jpg

Debating on trying it with composite for now or waiting the two weeks.

just play it! unlock all the FM characters :D

jerry1594

Been ordering a bunch of games lately. I was curious about playing games online when I found that like 5 games actually have online play.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well played a bit of Fighters Megamix and DoA yesterday and they're both super fun after I got adjusted to the Saturn controller.
The others wouldn't display on my monitor because of their resolution so going to try Panzer Dragoon and Parodius when I get my FM.

Faerith

Neo Member
I seem to have bad google-fu and my random sampling of this thread was also rather fruitless, so maybe one of you already went through this:
Did any of you guys 'n gals try to backup your games, since cds (and consoles) are not made for eternity (and games like Azel or my beloves Langrisser-series will likely not be remade),
and can recommend how to properly backup redbook games so they can be played in an emu with properly synched audio
(f.i. in Langrisser DE/4 the voiceacting is an eventscene/playerturn or two ahead of what should actually be playing), as apparently my with imgburn created bin+cue are not correct?

Of those six Saturn games I got recently, Steep Slope Sliders, Last Gladiators, and Dark Savior seem good. Fighters Megamix... I don't know, it's alright I guess. Haven't yet played Decathlete or Gungriffon.

I'm sure her legacy will be immortal. Why is the MD girl a bookworm? Heh.

It's really awesome they got the rights to show off all those games.

It's an amazing show (and that ending... so sad...), but yeah, I don't know if their personalities have much to do with the systems. I mean, Megadrive is the smart one, Saturn the pretty one, and Dreamcast the dumb/funny one? None of those really have much to do with the systems in question. It doesn't matter though, great show.

tumblr_npf4n7YW7G1qbs6e9o1_540.jpg

Pebble Beach Golf Links lookin' vaporwave as fuck
This is one of the games I got with my Saturn. NTSC-U version, but still.

It's not very good! However, I absolutely adore the soundtrack, particularly the menu music. Holy crap that shit's good.

IIRC there's a fantasy counterpart in Valora Valley Golf. Same game engine, but instead of playing in a real world golf course with The Walrus guiding you, you play in a world filled with volcanoes and dinosaurs and yes

That white Saturn is beautiful. I've been lusting over the gray model, but I just got a US Model 2.

Do PAL games play at a wonky speed on an NTSC Saturn like how PAL Megadrive and SNES games on NTSC hardware would? I played a round of Wipeout 2097 and it felt great, but I've never played that before so I have no frame of reference.

Oh, and I'm playing it via composite on a 19 inch LCD TV until I can get my Trinitron moved upstairs out of the dungeon it's currently in, but that thing is super heavy. My wife's uncle has a 20-something inch CRT HDTV that I'd love to get my hands on....

piggychan

That white Saturn is beautiful. I've been lusting over the gray model, but I just got a US Model 2.

Do PAL games play at a wonky speed on an NTSC Saturn like how PAL Megadrive and SNES games on NTSC hardware would? I played a round of Wipeout 2097 and it felt great, but I've never played that before so I have no frame of reference.

Oh, and I'm playing it via composite on a 19 inch LCD TV until I can get my Trinitron moved upstairs out of the dungeon it's currently in, but that thing is super heavy. My wife's uncle has a 20-something inch CRT HDTV that I'd love to get my hands on....

They play fine.. unless they are PAL optimized then you will have graphical glitches.

cj_iwakura

Almost done with SeHa Girls.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Sega only allowed all the classic stuff to get shown off so the creators would shill for their mobile tie-ins, hence the 'Shining Force'(blech) and Chain Chronicle eps.

That said, this being shown with the Streets of Rage BGM made up for it.

MathUser

Saturn games look alot better in one of those custom dvd cases you get off ebay. Can't help but admire my Sonic Jam. Don't regret not getting a case with it now.

jerry1594

What are some good Saturn games to get? Besides Vampire/SF Alpha. I have Baku Baku, Kaze no Regret, Elevator Action Returns and Cyberbots right now.

Teknoman

Video outputs are fine and all (only things i've got composite still are PC engine, and NES, Dreamcast is S-video...modded PS1 on S-video, but thats only for import titles) but everyone NEEDS to have a 2.1 speaker setup connected. Playing classics with a subwoofer is just mandatory.

piggychan

What are some good Saturn games to get? Besides Vampire/SF Alpha. I have Baku Baku, Kaze no Regret, Elevator Action Returns and Cyberbots right now.

Depends on what kind of video games you like.. there is like close to 1000 sega saturn games out there..

Saw this on Twitter yesterday, damn it's well made:

CG5P8JGUQAANua7.jpg

It's growing on me. I think they also made an Exhumed/Powerslave one too

Hyper Duel

haha you have expensive tastes!!!

woodypop

Just recently learned that Pengo is on Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol. 1! Have fond memories of that game from when I was a kid.

Bought'd off Ebay. =)

jerry1594

Like a billion. What do you like to play? Give us a genre at least.
Sorry. I'll honestly play anything that's fun. Except life/social sims (like The Sims, idk what that falls under) don't really interest me.
Hyper Duel
Damn. Why are shooters so expensive?
Depends on what kind of video games you like.. there is like close to 1000 sega saturn games out there..
See above
Straight out of my head:

Keio Yuugekitai/Flying Squadron 2

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Dead or Alive

Guardian Heroes

SEGA Rally

But there are so many... Do you have a favorite genre, so we can better suggest?
Thanks. I play fighters and shooters the most lately. But like I said I'm open to try most genres. DoA doesn't interest me though. Are the old Virtua Fighters worth playing today?
if u need a shooter, get Layer Section/Galactic Attack
These look great. Thanks.

Mzo

My suggestion would be Treasure's Silhouette Mirage. We did get a US port of the PS version by Working Designs but their code meddling absolutely ruined a fun game.

Silhouette Mirage

It's beautiful to look at and really creative. My general rule of thumb is that if a game has a double jump, chances are it's good. Well, this game has a triple jump. Do the math.

I know this isn't a unique or novel opinion or anything, but as a new Saturn owner, the 3D pad is superior in every conceivable manner to the Dreamcast pad. The stick doesn't slip out from under you. The D-pad isn't prone to catch under your thumbnail. Its buttons are large enough, there is an adequate quantity of them, and the spacing between them is just perfect. The triggers have perfect throw. And most importantly of all, the cord comes out of the correct end of the thing.

Just how the hell they went from the lovely 3D pad to the abomination of the DC pad is something I hope comes out in a book some day. I wonder if the 3D pad was somehow meant to be compatible with the Dreamcast with the removable cord; was there any reason for that feature?

Funny, I actually don't really care for the Saturn's analog pad that much. Buttons, D-Pad and triggers are alright, but that analog nub thing... never cared for it. Like, you say your thumb never slides from the center, but mine does. All the time. To the extent that I'm often stuck pushing on the outside of the concave indentation designed to fit your thumb, instead of inside the indentation itself. Makes it extremely annoying to use.

I know this isn't a unique or novel opinion or anything, but as a new Saturn owner, the 3D pad is superior in every conceivable manner to the Dreamcast pad. The stick doesn't slip out from under you. The D-pad isn't prone to catch under your thumbnail. Its buttons are large enough, there is an adequate quantity of them, and the spacing between them is just perfect. The triggers have perfect throw. And most importantly of all, the cord comes out of the correct end of the thing.

Just how the hell they went from the lovely 3D pad to the abomination of the DC pad is something I hope comes out in a book some day. I wonder if the 3D pad was somehow meant to be compatible with the Dreamcast with the removable cord; was there any reason for that feature?

Rumor has it, for a motion-controlled sequel to Nights called Air Nights.

Galdelico

Thanks. I play fighters and shooters the most lately. But like I said I'm open to try most genres. DoA doesn't interest me though. Are the old Virtua Fighters worth playing today?

Personally, I 100% enjoy/recommend to play Remix and VF2 still today, even though it's pretty much because they are both classics, as well as fantastic games for the Saturn. That said, if you're looking for the best possible version of VF2, you may want to try it on the XBOX360 (also on PS3/PC). Same if you're just interested in the VF series in general, with VF5 Final Showdown waiting for you - once again - on the 360/PS3/PC.

My suggestion would be Treasure's Silhouette Mirage. We did get a US port of the PS version by Working Designs but their code meddling absolutely ruined a fun game.

Silhouette Mirage

It's beautiful to look at and really creative. My general rule of thumb is that if a game has a double jump, chances are it's good. Well, this game has a triple jump. Do the math.

Ah, this a million times. How could I forget about Silhouette Mirage, such a little gem.

A couple of fighting games I always suggest for the SS: Real Bout: Garou Densetsu and Real Bout: Garou Densetsu Special. They're both great ports and - fun fact - the former is the only home version of the game (along with the emulation for the Japanese Wii's Virtual Console) to be uncensored.

Also, I love Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Saturn too, but it's so damn expensive nowadays that it's hard to prefer over the cheaper Fighter's Generation collection for the PS2, or even the Dreamcast port. That said, it looks amazing on the SS, and on my TV it completely surpasses the PS2 emulation, in terms of overall image quality.

woodypop

Also, I love Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Saturn too, but it's so damn expensive nowadays that it's hard to prefer over the cheaper Fighter's Generation collection for the PS2, or even the Dreamcast port. That said, it looks amazing on the SS, and on my TV it completely surpasses the PS2 emulation, in terms of overall image quality.
Agreed. I was playing SFZ3 just this weekend, and even using S-Video, I was impressed by the image quality.

piggychan

Silhouette Mirage

I also love Silhouette Mirage. Although it's one of those games you have to sit down and learn it's system. The PSX has some extra content that didn't make it in the Saturn final cut but then the saturn is more accustomed to the 2D trickery used in this game. If you unlock the Saturn debug mode you will see just what a beast the saturn is when it comes to sprite scaling but be careful with it as since it is a debug mode it can cause the game to crash.

Sorry. I'll honestly play anything that's fun. Except life/social sims (like The Sims, idk what that falls under) don't really interest me.

Damn. Why are shooters so expensive?

See above

These look great. Thanks.

Have a look at the japanese versions of fighters Megamix and Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx

you might also like Elan Doree and Astra Superstars and Final Fight Revenge but those games have gone up quite a bit...

Check out all the Parodius games, Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang.

Most of the Hudson Soft games for the Sega Saturn too!

and for puzzle games: Puyo Puyo Sun, Hanagumi Taisen Columns and Tokimeki Memorial Tokkae Dama
tokimeki_pazurudama-f.jpg

Funny, I actually don't really care for the Saturn's analog pad that much. Buttons, D-Pad and triggers are alright, but that analog nub thing... never cared for it. Like, you say your thumb never slides from the center, but mine does. All the time. To the extent that I'm often stuck pushing on the outside of the concave indentation designed to fit your thumb, instead of inside the indentation itself. Makes it extremely annoying to use.

Well, that opinion came from a half hour of Quake with the 3D pad versus hundreds of hours of Fire Pro and dozens of hours of fighting games until I got the Ascii FT pad. Maybe it's just novelty talking.

Rumor has it, for a motion-controlled sequel to Nights called Air Nights.

Would it have been like a Motion Plus kind of adapter that plugged in between the cord and the controller? Interesting...

Teknoman

Just putting it out there: If anyone knows anyone selling a Dragon Force NA manual, please let me know. Bugs the hell out of me that its just a blank case.

Top Bottom