• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Laws00

I want to really really fucking buy Magic Knight Rayearth. 100 bucks seems ok to me. But now I look at the prices and HOLY SHIT. I dont know anymore.

I'm tempted to just get the import same with clock work knight 2

those are really the 2 games I want US

fuck man fuck. at least with clockwork knight i dont need to worry about the story much

Which one is the 2nd game of clock work knight in japanese ?

Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou's Adventure Joukan
or Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Fukubukuro

fuck it i'll just get both

Mzo

He knows what's up with the good Saturn system sounds.

edit: this video is incredible. Great find! Awesome info on BR, too.

IrishNinja

^gonna have to watch that soon

meanwhile here is a clearly well written and thought-out piece

Did any good come out of the Saturn?

When we look back on the Saturn, there's not much to like. Aside from some neat first-party arcade games that Sega had become known for, the chances of finding a stellar title amongst the garbage were slim, at best.

Amazingly, only two Saturn games sold over 1 million copies -- Virtua Fighter 2 and Grandia. Aside from those, the Saturn quickly became the cesspool of gaming. After all, can anyone actually name 30 great games they played on the console?

why yes
yes don i can

Khaz

Pretty interesting graphical analysis of transparency effects in Saturn games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

If the speaker's accent is too strong there are captions.

Even the games are displayed by higher resolution, the half-transparent-like effect is still preserved when using S-Video cable. In Virtua Fighter Kids, the hidden character "half-transparent Dural" is actually drawn using high resolution meshes. It is believed this effect has faked many players at that time.

And it even works in RGB on a CRT. I just tried squinting at my Scart TV playing VFKids and nope, still can't see a mesh. As far as I'm concerned, Dural is transparent.

This is an impressive video, so much information in there.

piggychan

^gonna have to watch that soon

meanwhile here is a clearly well written and thought-out piece

why yes
yes don i can

I could have sworn that I read years ago that Enemy 0 had also sold over a million and so too did the first Virtua Fighter and sega rally..

P1020266.jpg

Khaz

When videogame-obsessed kids grow up and become engineers, they make the craziest ideas come to life

Sega Saturn multipurporse cartridge. It will mimic Power Memory / Backup RAM, 1MB ROMs from KoF and Ultraman, and 1M/4M RAM expansion. More than that, it should emulate Sega Saturn modems, and launch any 3rd party code, for example PseudoSaturn. Cart is based on Altera MAX 10 FPGA with external SDRAM and internal Nios II soft CPU.

https://github.com/hitomi2500/wasca

Soon (hopefully).

Mzo

ABF writing for cnet now?

why is there no rep button

Hopefully Low Score Boy's video puts to rest all the "lazy developer" bullshit concerning Staurn transparencies. Coincidentally, I went back to check out Game Sack's Saturn video (episode 69, dudes) and noticed LSB had the newest comment up, chiding Dave for claiming Treasure use of meshes in Guardian Heroes was due to laziness or neglect. Hilarious.

Been playing the crap out of NiGHTS, a game that never really clicked with me before. I think taking it for what it is outside the context of a console war significantly improved the game for me. It's a classic Sega score attack, arcadey game that rewards familiarity and skill with spectacle and fun.

Well, that video explains a fair bit. I knew mesh transparencies were more common in 3D games than 2D ones, but never quite knew the reason why that was so.

Although given the SNES could, IIRC, do sprite transparencies without the whole "overwriting anything that's beneath them" problem, for Sega to cheap out and only offer "transparent with VDP2 but overwrites VDP1" and "transparent with VDP1 but opaque to VDP2" modes, but no "perform transparent mix when old VDP1 data found, transparent with VDP2 otherwise" mode (I might have the VDPs reversed, but whatever) seems like a major oversight.

From 2012

Mercutio

why is there no rep button

Hopefully Low Score Boy's video puts to rest all the "lazy developer" bullshit concerning Staurn transparencies. Coincidentally, I went back to check out Game Sack's Saturn video (episode 69, dudes) and noticed LSB had the newest comment up, chiding Dave for claiming Treasure use of meshes in Guardian Heroes was due to laziness or neglect. Hilarious.

Been playing the crap out of NiGHTS, a game that never really clicked with me before. I think taking it for what it is outside the context of a console war significantly improved the game for me. It's a classic Sega score attack, arcadey game that rewards familiarity and skill with spectacle and fun.

Yeah, playing it at the time I remember liking it but being really angry that it wasn't a Sonic game. What was Sonic Team doing? Why did I buy a Saturn?

Now I love that game. But my 180 on it came way after the Saturn died.

I could have sworn that I read years ago that Enemy 0 had also sold over a million and so too did the first Virtua Fighter and sega rally..

Here is a quote from Gamasutra article in 08 concerning Rally Sales.

"On the art-versus-commerce dilemma, Mizuguchi said, "I had many inspirations like virtual reality and things like that which I wanted to do, but we had to make money. [Sega Rally] was a huge success. 12,000 arcade units sold, and 1.2 million console versions.”
Virtua Fighter sold 1.7 in Japan alone according to this & wiki has it listed at 500k for NA.

ABF writing for cnet now?
...That comment makes no sense, I think the Saturn is pretty good. Saturn > PS1 for '94 to '98 game libraries, and I'd never write an article like that.

Pretty interesting graphical analysis of transparency effects in Saturn games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

If the speaker's accent is too strong there are captions.
Post good things like this, not stupid insults like the one above. That video's great, really interesting stuff. I got Dark Savior recently, and was wondering how it did the transparent blocks... this must be how.

Jaeger

That all in one cart sounds amazing. I missed out on any online functionality on the Saturn so id love any opportunity to play Bomberman online again.

Anyway, I'm gonna finally pull the trigger on this system Tuesday. This and at least one game to start out again. Not sure what though. I want Castlevania but I don't want to pay over $100 for it.

Coda

That all in one cart sounds amazing. I missed out on any online functionality on the Saturn so id love any opportunity to play Bomberman online again.

Anyway, I'm gonna finally pull the trigger on this system Tuesday. This and at least one game to start out again. Not sure what though. I want Castlevania but I don't want to pay over $100 for it.

Be prepared to pay top dollar for most games that are actually worth your time unfortunately. Layer Section is a great game to start with if you enjoy shmups because it's relatively affordable and a good game.

Jaeger

Be prepared to pay top dollar for most games that are actually worth your time unfortunately. Layer Section is a great game to start with if you enjoy shmups because it's relatively affordable and a good game.

It's in my basket. I love Layer Section. One of my favorites.

Bar81

It's in my basket. I love Later Section. One of my favorites.

It should be one of *everyone's* favorites. I don't know if I'm happy or mad it's still as cheap as it is - on the one hand it's every bit as good as any shmup out there so should be priced accordingly, on the other hand the price means no one has an excuse not to own it.

Jaeger

It should be one of *everyone's* favorites. I don't know if I'm happy or mad it's still as cheap as it is - on the one hand it's every bit as good as any shmup out there so should be priced accordingly, on the other hand the price means no one has an excuse not to own it.

All it will take is one popular YouTuber to do a video on it and the price Will skyrocket. Honestly I hope that it doesn't happen and if it does, well after I get my personal copy again.

gooey

Neo Member
Soukyugurentai is an incredible cost-to-enjoyment value when it comes to Saturn STGs. It's only like $30-$40 and probably top 3 on the system.

That looks sick. I'll keep an eye out for that.

EDIT: Alpha 3 prices are getting me down. :(
I will not settle for Alpha 1.

A3 on Saturn is super nice but that price is really out of control.
There's always Alpha Anthology on PS2 if you have one of those, I guess.

gooey

Neo Member
Alpha 2 is my fave. I would like 3 on Saturn because of its rarity but I'm not tripping.

Alpha 2 has the better soundtrack but I love all the extra modes in A3.
I haven't even looked into Alpha 2 prices. I'll just get that! :)

A3 on Saturn is super nice but that price is really out of control.
There's always Alpha Anthology on PS2 if you have one of those, I guess.
I do. It's still hooked up to my TV... at my parents place. XD
Gonna have to get that back now seeing as I want that Sunsoft collection also.

Jaeger

Alpha 2 has the better soundtrack but I love all the extra modes in A3.
I haven't even looked into Alpha 2 prices. I'll just get that! :)

I do. It's still hooked up to my TV... at my parents place. XD
Gonna have to get that back now seeing as I want that Sunsoft collection also.

Get Street Fighter Collection for the best version of Alpha 2. Or the stand alone release of Zero 2'.

Preceded said title by two years.

Only if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Soukyugurentai is an incredible cost-to-enjoyment value when it comes to Saturn STGs. It's only like $30-$40 and probably top 3 on the system.

LOL, what the hell at this response. When did this thread get so serious? Good grief. Do I need to post my Saturn creds or something so that I get some benefit of the doubt next time?

Jaeger

I really need to get a Framemeister. I just don't have that kind of money right now. :/

LOL, what the hell at this response. When did this thread get so serious? Good grief. Do I need to post my Saturn creds or something so that I get some benefit of the doubt next time?

I just made a note about the order of release of the superior poor man's Souky.

Top Bottom