• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I think Kalinske did an amazing job, but the stuff he says in Console Wars about Sonic having fangs, a collar, etc. is so weird. I've seen the early concept images in person, and they had none of that stuff. If anything, early Sonic looked even more like Felix the Cat.

They actually discuss that very point in the thread I linked. You should read it.

Well Ultimate MK was on the snes and the trilogy just game out on Halloween in 96 so I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense to have them both. MK Trilogy was released on the Saturn almost a year later in 97.

leroidys

I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese Saturn, but ebay prices are a lot higher than I was anticipating. Does anyone know how much they sell for in Japan? I'll be heading there next may.

So I'm thinking about selling my copies of EAR and Radiant Silvergun, and not on ebay. I wanted to let you guys know first if anyone was interested.

I'm thinking of picking up a Japanese Saturn, but ebay prices are a lot higher than I was anticipating. Does anyone know how much they sell for in Japan? I'll be heading there next may.

For $50 you should find a system complete with pad, power cord and A/V output cable

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Am I going to need a memory card or is there some kind of built in memory?

There is built-in memory, but it's tied to a small battery that needs to be replaced every few months. Memory card is recommended for games that support it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
An AR will allow you to play different region games and back up your battery saves so I think that is a good investment. I have one being loaned to me atm by a friend till I can get my own and it's pretty neat and it allows me to play his copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga since I have a White Japanese system. (Great game btw.)

I have one of those old-school 4-in-1 action replays with the 25-pin port at the top. Is there any way to load Pseudo Saturn through that port?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There is built-in memory, but it's tied to a small battery that needs to be replaced every few months. Memory card is recommended for games that support it.

The battery should last at least 2 years.

The system manual recommended replacing it once per year, but it doesn't have to be that frequent.

Mzo

When you beat Christmas NiGHTS, you get to play a memory matching game for presents that unlock features. Once you've unlocked Sonic Into Dreams you can play through as Sonic.

It's a miserable experience because being on foot in that game feels terrible. It's your punishment for running out of time.

Anth0ny

There are some Rheas for sale at GDEMU.

this is quite the rare occurrence, so act quick if you want one. I've been wanting to buy one for months now, but I'm unexpectedly broke at the moment, so I'll have to pass. maybe next time =/

Bar81

this is quite the rare occurrence, so act quick if you want one. I've been wanting to buy one for months now, but I'm unexpectedly broke at the moment, so I'll have to pass. maybe next time =/

Thanks

What's the quick n' dirty on Rheas? Worth checking out as an alternative to Pseudo Saturn?

Anth0ny

What's the quick n' dirty on Rheas? Worth checking out as an alternative to Pseudo Saturn?

According to the website:

Rhea is an SD card based replacement for the optical drive in Saturn console.

GD-ROM / CD-ROM drives inevitably wear out and fail – as do all mechanical devices – and since the console is no longer being manufactured it’s nearly impossible to source spare parts. This project was meant to provide a “once and for all” solution, since it doesn’t have any moving parts.

Features:

100% compatibility with existing software
No need for custom BIOS or other modifications
Full support for CD Digital Audio
Considerably faster loading times

So pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Only thing is I don't think it's compatible with Japanese Saturns, which is what I own. It needs to be a 20-pin model.

This "boot disc based console games off SD card" stuff really is the future and it blows me away. Saturn and Dreamcast is done, PS1 is just about ready. Could you imagine the day we are loading the complete PS2, or even Xbox 360, library off a giant SD card?

bruh

Been enjoying some Street Fighter Zero 1 and 2 lately for the Saturn, I really enjoy these games even though I suck at them! I've also played SF Zero 3 Max on the Vita, but man I find it way harder and just cant complete it!

Bought the games off ebay:
CLFPNYXUwAAiQSl.jpg

CLFPOVVVEAE6ok1.jpg

CLFPPNEVAAEiSvw.jpg

Anth0ny

I wonder if it'll ever go mass market like Everdrive. I don't like the idea of ultra-limited runs either.

You figure it has to happen someday, right? Maybe when the costs of production decrease and demand increases. This pretty much is as close as we're going to get to an Everdrive for these disc based consoles.

Celine

Been enjoying some Street Fighter Zero 1 and 2 lately for the Saturn, I really enjoy these games even though I suck at them! I've also played SF Zero 3 Max on the Vita, but man I find it way harder and just cant complete it!
I'm one of those weirdos who prefer Zero 2 over Zero 3.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Alpha 3 is the most ridiculous and therefore best Street Fighter.

When an SF game starts off the round with full super meter, you just know that it has to endorse savagery.

Mzo

While Alpha 2 is a great game, Alpha 3 has best girls Karin and R. Mika plus the greatest video game announcer of all time.

It's a tough choice.

I own both, so I could probably whip something up this weekend.
I would love this too! Youtube mainly has comparisons between Saturn and PS1.

Alpha 3 Max is also available for PSP/Vita, there's also a Alpha Anthology very reasonably priced on PS2. Which supports 60Hz even on the PAL version and progressive scan at 480p.

I own AA on PS2 as well, but it doesn't support 240p like the DC and SS A3.

from what i remember the PS2 aspect ratio was corrected compared to the "fat looking" SS version tho.

Coda

I love how people are like man, R. Mika's butt is huge. It really ain't, it's you know, a butt. Most girls have them, but only R. Mika attacks her opponents with it.

MikeMyers

Karin is my favorite character alongside Skullomania from EX.

Shame we didn't get the EX games on Saturn. Then again, I appear to be the only person who like the EX games.

Top Bottom